Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postal Package Editor (and API)

by Echo Posted 9th Aug 2009 at 3:27 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:14 PM by Nysha

162 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 151 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 7
Test Subject
#2 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 3:38 PM
Sounds really useful, thanks for your hard work!
Test Subject
#3 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 4:28 PM
Yeah, and it sounds pretty advanced too! I like it! :D
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:15 PM
YAY! Finally a PDF documentation! Thanks Echo that'll be very handy
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:21 PM
Thanks for all your hard work in making it possible for people less expert than you to mod The Sims 3!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
#6 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:40 PM
Yes, we have the same taste in java editor
Thanks a lot :D
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:44 PM Last edited by the.mike : 10th Aug 2009 at 5:26 AM.
I'll test this. Thanks very much!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 5:48 PM
i'll test this out on my mac thanks for this !

Head Of Staff @ LivingSims Magazine

Interested In Working At LivingSims ? Then Check This Out

Check Out My Sims 3 Houses @SimsArtGallery
Field Researcher
#9 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 6:06 PM
Are you saying this is like an early version of SimPE for SIMs 3??? That would be very encouraging :D

Say "Keep your neighborhood User Friendly ^^
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 7:48 PM
Can this be used to edit...say the actions of the camera? That zoom in every time someone ages up is so freaking annoying and makes the game nigh unplayable.
Test Subject
#11 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 8:19 PM
Can this be used to delete or rename files?
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 9:08 PM
This is awesome!
A quick question, wich file got the billbord that you're showing on the first picture? :P
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 10:29 PM
FINALLY...someone programming in java! I thank you... My mac thanks you!
Test Subject
#14 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 10:37 PM
I can't get this to work... I'm on a Mac, and it says that my version of Java is out of date. I ran Software Update, and there are no updates to anything... so... hm. Anyone have any ideas?

Either way, awesome idea; hopefully I can get it to work!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 10:51 PM
Soooo niiiicccce. Thank you!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#16 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 11:42 PM
Thank you, this was the first modding tool I used for sims3 and so will always have a special place in my memory....and my sims modding tools folder

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 1:49 AM
I can't figure out how to do step 1.3...I go to Run then Debug As. It says on the Adobe that there's supposed to be something for Java, but there's nothing there. Plz help!!!!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by usagibouzu
I can't get this to work... I'm on a Mac, and it says that my version of Java is out of date. I ran Software Update, and there are no updates to anything... so... hm. Anyone have any ideas?

Either way, awesome idea; hopefully I can get it to work!

hey mate, i had the same problem. go to the apple website, then to downloads, and you should find java 1.6 in the top downloads bit

Head Of Staff @ LivingSims Magazine

Interested In Working At LivingSims ? Then Check This Out

Check Out My Sims 3 Houses @SimsArtGallery
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:30 AM
pen121295 - are you trying to install postal, or develop for it?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:55 AM
Echo, again I ask...are you saying this is like an early version of SimPE for SIMs 3???
I'd really like to know please...

Say "Keep your neighborhood User Friendly ^^
Test Subject
#21 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 5:54 AM
I think there's a few of us waiting for answers to questions.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 6:43 AM
AceOfCrowns, this is a fairly general tool, which can help people to make mods. For now, most of my time is spent working on the tool, so I'm not making mods myself.

usagibouzu, Apple only upgraded Java to version 6 in Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1. You'll need to run the updates to get to that version

phantomgremlock, I'm not aiming to be a complete SimPE. This is just the package editor parts, not the neighbourhood editor parts etc. But yes, it's heading in a similar direction.

dan_sims2, I think there are a great many fans of Eclipse, it's an excellent IDE.

declandabest, let me know how it goes! Make sure you run it from Postal.sh, since it requires a few specific flags passed through on start up.

kaijinkumori, I believe cameras are stored in text files which are tagged as "CAM" from memory. I don't know how configurable they are though. My guess is that the special-event camera (the "zoom in on important stuff") is probably controlled by code in the script files though.

danieeel31, Most of the billboards in game have the type "0x8ffb80f6". If you go to File > Search Filepath, then enter that value into the "Type" box, you should be able to find most of them. The instance ID for that particular billboard is in the highlighted row in the image.

If I've missed any questions, I apologize! Thank you to everyone else who has left feedback.
Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:39 PM
I'll try this!Thanks for sharing
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 5:40 PM
this looks awesome, thanks!

Every second of your life makes you more unique than everyone else.
Everything you choose to do changes society in some way.
Everything you say or hear makes you smarter than you were before.
Test Subject
#25 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 7:32 PM Last edited by kaijinkumori : 10th Aug 2009 at 7:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
kaijinkumori, I believe cameras are stored in text files which are tagged as "CAM" from memory. I don't know how configurable they are though. My guess is that the special-event camera (the "zoom in on important stuff") is probably controlled by code in the script files though.

I don't suppose that there's a way to edit those as of yet, right?
Page 1 of 7