Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 27th Mar 2021 at 12:59 AM
One word.. Yes. Sims 3 is a better game, but it's been poorly designed. Sims 4 is boring in comparison. Doesn't keep my attention for more than a few minutes. But I can't stand not having a open world. So if you don't have Sims 3 modded to the Gods, you'll get frustrated.... quick
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 11:42 AM
I'd personally wait a bit longer for the Steam summer sale and pick it up there. I think they tend to sell for roughly $5 a pack? It's a better deal and you avoid the issues of 1.69. I'd also check this page: https://www.nraas.net/community/TIP...AME-PERFORMANCE
To get an understanding of what getting Sims 3 to optimal performance entails. It seems daunting at first but it isn't nearly as bad as it seems. If you do go for it, I hope you enjoy. I started on 4, tried 2 to get a feel for 3 (At the time 4 had almost no expansions so 2 was closer), and then pretty much switched to 3.
Sims 3 isn't well optimized, but it is insanely addictive. people are willing to put up with all of the tricks they have to do because the game just is that good.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Oh, it depends on how you use the term "open world." I think in the video game industry, there are some requirements to actually fit the definition of open world. One of the main requirement is no transitional loading at all. Sims 4 is still considered a "closed" world because you have to load when you transition from the lot to lot. In between the transition, the sims, lots, etc... are all reloaded and repositioned. The sims are actually not existing in a virtual world, but on a single lot and loaded from the database during each transition.

Sims 3 is completely open world because once you load the world, then it runs without additional transition (other than transition to other worlds) and all the sims in the world actually function and live in the world while it is running. It's not the earliest concept of course, on the top of my head, I would say Ultima VI is one of the earlier open world games because it loads the whole world, multiple cities, all the citizens and they actually do live in the world while running - going to sleep at night, eating when hungry, working during day. However, Ultima VI engine runs on a turn base so, a true open world would be Ultima VII, which the NPCs function and live in the world even when the player is idle.

You forgot about the rabbitholes that are not open, you cannot see just sims inside just controlling them from.(the horror to me really that the only things I hate in my belove ts3) I never said the sims 4 is fully open world no no no, I just said and I am sorry for repeating myself in TS4 you can sometimes walk your sims on streets , that's limited but that's better than in ts2 you cannot do absolutely anything like that, you can jog in the same pavement your house is, you can walk your dog on some places without loading, (same for bikes) and when you are a policeman/woman you have the ability to walk on street and go to some places without a load. These are limited of coruse, this is not the same freedom we got in the sims 3 (too much that the sims are often block on non-routable places so often ahah)
TS2 does not allows you this, TS2 is not superior for that
TS4 is not open but sometimes even for digging a site or to fish or to harvest a plant you can partially walk freely to without a load.
The day you can do all of these in ts2 adding with open career (perhaps someday I hope so because I believe in our modders) everybody will say goodbye for good to ts4 really I am not jocking.
After I do agree with you, but I wanted to bring back the truth because not for trolling the forum but because I hate to read fake bzecause to me this game is partially open. I don't care of their definition of an open world if you got the feeling I think it is one.

--- Now if we compare the gameplay ts2 is far far superior to ts4 , slighting better than ts3 for the details and the animations, (but both are enjoyable without any mods) that is always a mess even with mods. (the sims 4 of course always sociable they cannot leave you breath one simday or two !)

Now why the sims 3 is still better, because after almost 10 years I am in I never and I am far far away to have explored everything on. Sometimes I am still amazed by what I discover ahahah and the sims themselves as playable people are totally much more complex than EAXISSHIT tells and the sims 2 is very quite modern (well in modern thinks current) !
Last time I went to the supermarket and I saw one of my sims looking up the sky as if she was sigh , she didn't want to do the groceries ahahah. These are ts3 people even though they are childish I know and sometimes perhaps neurodivergent (yeah the expression they do all the time for instance) ! You never saw this in the pseudo smart ts4 people.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 10:03 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure if RH technically violates the open world definition as many open worlds have similar functions. However, have you tried converting all the RH lots to real lots? I've done a few myself, but I know there are a few members on here who are quite religious about it and trying to convert every RH lot. I mean, you can't get away with removing the RH altogether, at least I don't think so even with I think Zerbu's career mod. But I think the most popular one was the open school mod, which I remember someone here was using.

Anyways, I like to combine RH with real lots b/c I always felt the RH are kinda hogging up free lots. For example, the spa RH can be placed on a salon lot since they have similar functions, completely furnished with massage tables, the steam room, styling booth, tattoo, etc... the sports RH can be combined with a gym, etc...

It's really a symbiotic combo because RH attract sims to the lot as well. For example, I never understood why the Bridgeport library is so unpopular with the sims. Any other library in other worlds, sims would pack the library. But in BP, the huge library is always empty. So I sectioned one part off and put in a bookstore RH. Now, there are sims who are attracted to the lot by the bookstore RH and they remain in the library after using the lot. It also works great on clubs/bars, etc...

If you're really ambitions, you can try combining residential and community lots with RH.
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=599598

I didn't know that I was right to chat with you
I heard about the Zerbu's mod you mentionned but I fear a bit to use it, just because my city is crowded of people I mean I got a small hundred of sims, as my pc is not quite performant I fear of getting it crashes to desktop for abusing of ram .It often occurs to me.
I know what you feel about libraries, there are not quite popular even though you place interesting items inside I played with one that came from Sunset Valley, I madeover the interiors with computers, plenty of bookcase, ipads,even science lab etc. Only some bookworms were faithful to. Combo lots with several rabbitholes as the Mirabello's Plazza is always full of sims.
I speak to the past because I sadly have to delete my whole most current Lucky Palms saves I suspected I got a start of corruption with.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 4th Apr 2021 at 7:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LemonyLin
I'd personally wait a bit longer for the Steam summer sale and pick it up there. I think they tend to sell for roughly $5 a pack? It's a better deal and you avoid the issues of 1.69.

There's just one problem: They don't seem go to on sale anymore.

Last year, I decided I was ready to give Sims 3 a try and had heard about the legendary Steam sales, so after soliciting feedback on Steam vs. Origin, I created a Steam account and added the basegame + all EPs and SPs to my wish list right before the Steam summer sale was supposed to happen. Made sure I was setup to receive notifications when wish list items went on sale, too. Summer sale started, I sat back, waited, and nothing. Checked the prices on my wish list in case the notifications weren't working, and nothing. Still waiting almost a year later.

Recently was thinking like the OP, but then I did the math: by themselves at $19.99 each, it's almost $400. If they were $4.99 each, then you're talking almost $100.

Origin has slightly better bundled specials than Steam, enabling a savings of $60 instead of $10, but it's still not the same as a savings of $300, am I right? Still, if another summer sale goes by and the $4.99 price change doesn't happen, I may just bite the bullet and start purchasing at the current price!

*Susan*
Sims 3: Laura Bow, Lillian Prune, and Steve Dorian by me!
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#33 Old 5th Apr 2021 at 6:51 PM Last edited by fascisthater : 6th Apr 2021 at 6:40 PM.
Sims 3 Steam discount on base game+expansions but not stuff packs: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=sims+3

ETA-Yes stuff packs look to be added to sale now also.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 6th Apr 2021 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
Sims 3 Steam discount on base game+expansions but not stuff packs: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=sims+3

I saw that ~ finally received the notification I've been waiting for! Looks like Stuff Packs are now on sale, too, for 25% off.

*Susan*
Sims 3: Laura Bow, Lillian Prune, and Steve Dorian by me!
Forum Resident
#35 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 10:04 PM
Yeah, I don't use it either simply because it looks kinda complicated and I don't want my game getting more complicated. hahaha.

Oh that sucks, I hope you saved down the lots you modified and your sims. I had to do that several times with many of my worlds in the past, saving all the sims and lots, and then start a new one and placing them back. I'm sure you are already using Errortrap, but if not, make sure you get it as it cleans up a lot of savegame corruption.

@nitromon :My simself cat started to become red and she was the only pet which was affected by this strange bug ,as I was clueless about how to fix her even sending her to cas did not affect this. I deleted my own save. I never saw a such problems in almost 10 years of game and Google wasn't a help. Now I am slowly redoing my Lucky Palms, a bit different of what it were. I couldn't save any of my modified lots but I got all my sims in .sims format in my EHD.Yes I don't know why we have to change so often of words I know I am a cc junkie it is not good for the performances of the game but I cannot only do with the store items.
About Zerbu's mod open carreer ,you are right except if you need this for storytelling and no words are big enough to have everything open . In addition, I am not a good builder.
Test Subject
#36 Old 12th Apr 2021 at 2:00 PM
I found that slowly adding expansions to my game was worth the wait, as it allowed me time to get used to each one - ts3 has so much content and stuff to do that if you install everything at once it could be a bit overwhelming in my opinion. But definitely get at least the base game and give it a go!
Page 2 of 2