Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

AnyGameStarter v. 2.1.3 (for CD/DVD games) * UPD 29 Dec 2017

by Numenor Posted 27th Sep 2007 at 9:41 AM - Updated 28th Dec 2017 at 11:28 PM by Numenor

516 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 473 Feedback Posts, 42 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 21
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 5:20 PM
Okay, I have the above bug reported by lauralaima.

I have all EP's and recently got M&G. which is the only Stuff Pack I have. I just downloaded the newest version of AGS and started a new Game1 basegame, no maxis default content. I didn't play this game yet, and went to my main game to play a family. After the screen enabling or disabling hacks etc. I get a popup that says Apartments has been uninstalled and all apt lots will be converted to residential Continue or Quit. (of course I chose quit)

I currently have no hacks in my game. The only thing I have is CEP's newest version. All hacks were recently removed to install M&G.

Hope this helps. If you need more information, just tell me.

Proud Member of The Sim Supply . Always looking for new members. Newest project, Modern Stuff Pack.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 9:13 PM Last edited by Numenor : 26th Dec 2008 at 10:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lauralaima
Where do I find the AppFiles?

Read in post #3, FAQ C-2.
EDIT: problem solved, get new v. 2.0.1. Thanks for reporting!

Quote: Originally posted by Sadie79
After installing AGS with my current set-up (All EPs, all SPs but IKEA and M&G), if I then decide to get another SP, would I have to run the installer again, or would they be updated automatically?

Good question The installer has bees designed to check and update all the existing games each time it is run: at the time when the welcome page appears on screen, the installer has already updated everything. But I couldn't actually test this feature throughly, because I already have all the EP and SP. However, when I installed M&G, I already had some mini-games installed, and all of them have been correctly updated.

Quote: Originally posted by PenChris
I just downloaded the newest version of AGS and started a new Game1 basegame, no maxis default content. I didn't play this game yet, and went to my main game to play a family. After the screen enabling or disabling hacks etc. I get a popup that says Apartments has been uninstalled and all apt lots will be converted to residential Continue or Quit. (of course I chose quit)

You mention that you didn't actually start the AnyGame1, and this is extremely interesting and helpful. I will check the code, but in the meantime I'd need your AppFiles, too, please.
EDIT: get the updated version Thanks for your help.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#28 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 9:43 PM
It deleted all of my sims. WHY!??? But you are good at what you do.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:01 PM
Default Update
>>> ANYGAMESTARTER UPDATE <<<

WHAT'S NEW IN THE LATEST VERSION
  • Version 2.0.1 (26 Dec 2008)
    • Bugfix: The full game "lost" the Apartment Life expansion if IKEA was not installed. Thanks to LauraLaima and PenChris for reporting and providing helpful info.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#30 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
You mention that you didn't actually start the AnyGame1, and this is extremely interesting and helpful. I will check the code, but in the meantime I'd need your AppFiles, too, please.

All right, here's the AppFiles. If there's anything else, just let me know.

Much love.
-Chris

EDIT: Okay. I'll get the new version.

Proud Member of The Sim Supply . Always looking for new members. Newest project, Modern Stuff Pack.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skategirl212
It deleted all of my sims. WHY!??? But you are good at what you do.

The AGS surely did NOT delete your game. If you are missing an icon from the desktop, it is possible, but don't be afraid: your game is safe.
Please download the latest AGS v. 2.0.1 and run it (you can cancel as soon as the first screen comes out).
If this doesn't fix your game, run again the installer, create a game (it doesn't matter which one) and then zip the AppFiles folder, and post it here.

Inventor
#32 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:36 PM
What a wonderful Christmas present! Thanks!

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:40 PM
genious ...
Field Researcher
#34 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 12:46 AM
Erm, Numenor? Where *is* the updated version? I did download the attached file, but it's the old one.

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 1:57 AM
I've uploaded it three times, and when I downloaded it (to check if the upload was fine) I always found the old version... Very odd!
Then I cleaned up the browser's cache, and I could finally download the new version.
Please try again now, after cleaning your cache.

Field Researcher
#36 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 2:29 AM
Ah! Got it now, thanks

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
Alchemist
#37 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 2:55 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 27th Dec 2008 at 3:06 AM.
Default source file problem
I've been unable to make my old BGS game permanent. Probably I'm just getting something wrong, but I've read the instructions many times by now and can't figure it out.

I downloaded the 2.01 today ( I believe). As suggested, I went to upgrade my old BGS environments to the new setup. The new program unpacked and intalled its icons as expected, but cannot seem to find a file needed.

I am able to choose the install options, but then get the error 'source file does not exist' for Sims2_Full.reg. I tried both the BGS and AGS modes.

There also seems to be no error log created, on the desktop or anywhere else. I searched for the .txt file you named in the troubleshooting post. I used the start menu as directed.

I have up to FT, only FFS of the stuffpacks.

I'm happy you have combined the two starters, I never found the AGS suited me, but it had some features I wanted. Hopefully now I can soon have the best of each! Thanks.
Screenshots
Instructor
#38 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 3:11 AM
Your truly are an original. No one comes close to your genius. I have admired, (as many others have too,) and appreciated your noble spirit of giving your many talents so freely to this community. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. My sincere wishes for a happy, healthy, and peaceful New Year.
Banned
#39 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 9:04 AM
I love it, but I'm sad, because I really really wished it worked with games purchased from the ea store online, now I can't have my Seasons/Pets and make custom CAS screens as I purchased several games from the EA store.I guess I could re-buy all the pysical games, but that would be a total waste of money.Maybe one day EA will make their downloads compatible with this.That's what I really hope for.But aside from my issue with that, you are an extremley talented creator Numenor and I enjoy all of your creations to the fullest, keep dishing out plenty of other great mods and downloads.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 10:52 AM
Read in post #3, FAQ C-2.
EDIT: problem solved, get new v. 2.0.1. Thanks for reporting!

thank youuu!!!! and merry christmas!!!!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 11:42 AM
Default Update
>>> ANYGAMESTARTER UPDATE <<<

WHAT'S NEW IN THE LATEST VERSION
  • Version 2.0.2 (27 Dec 2008)
    • Bugfix: The installer issued a "File not found" error while converting old BGS games, if no AnyGames were found. Thanks to Aelflaed for reporting.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
I love it, but I'm sad, because I really really wished it worked with games purchased from the ea store online, now I can't have my Seasons/Pets and make custom CAS screens as I purchased several games from the EA store.I guess I could re-buy all the pysical games, but that would be a total waste of money.

The problem with the online EPs is easy to understand, but impossible (for me) to solve.
While the CD-versions, when run, only check if the original CD is in the drive, the online version check the location of the save-game (which is different for each AnyGame), and report to EA that the game was "installed in a different location". Since the users are allowed to reinstall the game, in different locations, a very limited number of times, soon the user runs out of reinstallations, and the game stops working. I can't do anything about this, because this check is embedded into the executable, which I can't modify.

However, in some cases, there's a workaround, that allows - at least - a limited usage of the AGS even with online EPs.

When you run an AnyGame, the executable actually run is the one from the latest EP included in the AnyGame. Therefore, if you have some online EPs and some CD-versions, you can create and run an Anygame that includes, as the latest EP, a CD version.
For example, if you have:
- CD versions for UNI, PETS and BV
- online versions for SSN, FT and AL
then you can create an AnyGame that includes BV as the latest EP (thus excluding FT and AL); you can even include SSN in this AnyGame: the fact that SSN is an online game is irrelevant, since the "latest EP" is BV, i.e. a CD game!

IMPORTANT: When I talk about "EPs" I mean games that act as an Expansion Packs (not Stuff Packs); for example, if you have IKEA on CD, you CAN'T use it as "Latest EP" in an AnyGame!
For your reference, here is a full list of games that act as Expansions, and therefore can be used as "Latest EP" in an AnyGame, if you own the CD:
Base, UNI, NL, OFB, FFS, GLS, PETS, SSN, BV, FT, AL, MG.

I hope that I was clear enough If not, ask me for details and I will gladly give them.

In any case, my warning is still valid: the AGS is to be considered incompatible with the online EPs, because I don't have online versions and I can't run any test in such environment. If you want to try yourself, do it at your own risk.

Test Subject
#43 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 7:27 PM
The AGS surely did NOT delete your game. If you are missing an icon from the desktop, it is possible, but don't be afraid: your game is safe.
Please download the latest AGS v. 2.0.1 and run it (you can cancel as soon as the first screen comes out).
If this doesn't fix your game, run again the installer, create a game (it doesn't matter which one) and then zip the AppFiles folder, and post it here.

I just found out that my stuff isn't deleted, but all of my sims are. Do you still think they are there?
Test Subject
#44 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 8:02 PM
Thanks again, Numenor. You've made my day!
Test Subject
#45 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 8:33 PM
ok so im way confused =[
i went to install it and closed out after i selected what game because i didnt really want it anymore. and i went to play my game and it like deleted all my sims and neighborhoods i made. is there a way i can get them back? i moved the installers to the recycle bin because it wasnt in my programs to remove it
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skategirl212
I just found out that my stuff isn't deleted, but all of my sims are. Do you still think they are there?

I don't understand: your "full" game starts correctly, and you can see all the custom objects, but your custom sims disappeared? Or you don't see in the full game the neighborhoods you used to play?
Have you tried what I suggested earlier, i.e. start the AGS installer without actually installing any game?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Originally posted by Dude_Potatoes
ok so im way confused =[
i went to install it and closed out after i selected what game because i didnt really want it anymore. and i went to play my game and it like deleted all my sims and neighborhoods i made. is there a way i can get them back? i moved the installers to the recycle bin because it wasnt in my programs to remove it

You too, should run again the AGS installer in "Standard Mode"; as soon as you see the first page, click Cancel to close it. This should fix your problem.
If not, I will give you instructions to help me understand what's wrong.

Test Subject
#47 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 9:03 PM
I don't understand: your "full" game starts correctly, and you can see all the custom objects, but your custom sims disappeared? Or you don't see in the full game the neighborhoods you used to play?
Have you tried what I suggested earlier, i.e. start the AGS installer without actually installing any game?

---------------------------------------------------------------

You too, should run again the AGS installer in "Standard Mode"; as soon as you see the first page, click Cancel to close it. This should fix your problem.
If not, I will give you instructions to help me understand what's wrong.

it didnt fix it. =S but i guess its no big deal. i can just start everything over. but like the enable custom content screen don come up either.

but right after i canceled out of the installer the first time i went to play the game and it didnt load. so i shut down my computer while the game was still loading. could that have done it?
Forum Resident
#48 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 11:22 PM
I have formatted my pc, at last, and what a surprise! Just downloaded and impatient to try, as usual. you are so... Marhis is right, it's difficult to find words.. you're my hero, that' all :lovestruc
Field Researcher
#49 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 11:59 PM
Hello Numeror ! I wanted to thank you for th AGS that I discovered this past week. It did run fine for me - with EPs bought online and I managed to run the actual EA Games Sims as well for a short while. Now todayI uninstalled AGS and reinstalled it after I noticed that instead of loading the actual game (EA Games) taht I wanted to play, I got the AGS mini-play loading with your mini neighbourhood. I uninstalled again AGS totally and now I'm in a bit of a mess when trying to load my actual EA Games Sims 2 (with all EPs and Glamour + HM Fashion SPs) : I only get the standard ingame (EA Games) neighbourhoods, none of mine (I got three), even if my EA Games in Documents (users directory) is totally intact).

I don't know what was messed up today because yesterday I had no problem at all. But today I had created a mini-game with the SPs and from there I started to have this problem with the actual game not running as it should with my neighbourhoods, etc.

Unfortunately I uninstalled all again and I read your previous threads about AppFiles you mgiht need.

Maybe I'm damn dumb or so but wouldn't it be safer for AGS to be run totally independently on an external hard drive ? I noticed that the installation of it generated a file called fullGame id... I'm a bit scared and like one posted above it would have been fine for me to have all EPs and SPs on CD and not bought online.

I'm very sad now because I find AGS very easy to use. I even wanted to write a blog about at MySpace to tell people how it works. But my priority today is my actual game and maybe I'd need to reinstall teh last EP (bought online), Apartment Life. Fortunately I always save an EA Games folder very regularly on an external hard drive in case...

Any suggestion, please would be fine. And by the way for me the Permagame never worked, I even never got the icon while choosing the settings for a mini-game.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 12:22 AM
TO ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE "FULL GAME"
I'm sorry if the new AGS is causing problems to your games; it was deeply rewritten, compared to the previous version, and therefore some bugs are expected.
However, please keep in mind that I can't know what's wrong with your game if you don't provide me information.
If you manage to give me an AppFiles folder (see FAQ C-3), I will help you restoring your game and you will help me tracking down possible bugs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude_Potatoes - If you have shut down Windows while the mini-game was loading, then you might have messed up the path to your Documents, and therefore the Full game can't find any more you neighborhoods etc.
Please read the FAQ C-3 from the FAQ Page, follow the instructions (especially the part "If the Full Game still doesn't work...") and post here your AppFiles.

Liza495 - You too, please, read the FAQ C-3 from the FAQ Page and follow the instructions.

Page 2 of 21