Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2012 at 9:46 AM
Default Doctor who: Vampires of Venice
Review

Vampires of Venice is the sixth episode of the fifth series of doctor who since it was brought back a few years. When I heard of this I thought that it would be awesome, doctor who true it has not been as good when David Tenet did the show as the doctor and this was not very good as he was but although most of series had been a little bland and at some points fluffy for my tastes I watched the episode hoping that this would be the kick ass episode that I have been waiting for. It was not that episode at all and it made me so angry when I look back at even now I’m hacked off with doctor who for doing this to me.

The story

The summary is on BBC Iplayer (I will post a link to this at the end of the review and you do not need an account on it to watch it) “Corpses and terror fill the canals as the Doctor, Amy and Rory visit 16th century Venice” from this summary alone you could not tell that this was about vampires if you did not look at the title.

As the opening credits role we are told that this episode is set in Venice, 1580 we already know it’s Venice if we looked at the title in the TV guide. Also we a father and daughter walk up to speack with a lady on a throne it appears that he wants his daughter to apply for this girl school, college thing which is weird as if that is the case then why are they running this school for girls unless it is for the purpose of making them worthy wives. The father is taking away by a mysterious man in black who looks like a poor maybe Renfield knock off. As the woman and a guy who we find out later is her soon prowl around her probably thinking of how much blood she has got.

It then cuts to Morden day and the stag do of Rory, Rory good god is the character annoying true this is the first we see him in a episode but from the fist minute I saw him I thought this was a human version of Jar Jar Binks from star wars. He is getting married or supposed to marry Amy pond who is afraid to marry and had sex with the doctor at the end of the last episode which in turn makes the big over all plot device for the rest of series in away. Anyway the doctor decides that he wants to emerge out of a cake. He then talks to Rory about Amy and says that practically says to him at his stag night that she tried to kiss him which makes everyone in the pub go ohm, this is not going to end up in awkwardness now is it?. To add insult to bloody injury he says that she is a great kisser although she does kiss him in the last episode, episode five as well as have sex with him makes her seem like allot like Bella Swan from twilight. To get Rory and Amy in love again so he decides that he is going to ... VENICE!!

When the gang, Amy, the doctor and Rory arrive in Venice the doctor starts calling every name that you could call Venice even calling that same name that Ezio from assassins creed 2 calls it. To the shows credit the Venice looks pretty nice, it looks like the right time period and costumes although most of them look more Tudor than reissuance look nice. It turns that the doctor owes a guy a chicken and he likes Venice but the loveliness ends with a guy wanting to see some papers as apparently the plague was still happening according that chick in the nice dark purple dress earlier, who is called Rosanna.

After that they move on and to cut down the size of this part the rest of story is. They send Amy to investigate the girls at the school after the father from earlier thinks that there is something wrong. Amy gets captured and bitten by the Rosanna, whose evil plan is to flood the world so that the vampires can live again. The doctor wants her stop although she is tiring to save her people. He stops her plan, she gets killed and Amy does not become a vampire.

All in all a doring storyline and is executed ok for boring storyline but proves that is not a good story in this series.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 27th May 2012 at 10:07 AM
Vampires

This is the point you have all been waiting for, the vampires. What does doctor who do to the vampires that we all know and love well I tell what they do, they mess all up. When we first see the vampire girls they look cool pale and vampiric in long white dresses and well they look like proper vampires even though they were not biting anyone.

Vampire girls heading out for a stroll only wear veils to console themselves from the sun light and umbrellas.

These moment or this moment is the coolest bit with the vampires in this I thought when I was watching this that this was a great look for vampires for this period. Then scene ruins it all, it is when one of the girls has a hiss at this girls father who we saw at the start of episode.

Omg this is just wrong, she looks a Paraná more than a vampire. She is burning up with the sun light, the other girls in the scene look like they can’t believe that they are seeing something so stupid.

This really angers me as they just don’t look vampires to me and I don’t if it is the same for you but they just don’t look right with those fangs but wait it gets worse. Imagine if you well what would be your worst version of a vampire is than this might be along the lines as insulting to vampires and fans of them, as twilight is with its vampires.

This is what the vampires according to doctor who look like after they have lost their humanity or are not hiding their true appearance all of sudden. I thought the sparkle vamps where bad now we get fish vamps as this what they look like. The hatred for this thing is awful IT IS NOT A VAMPIRE AT ALL

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2012 at 10:14 AM
Default Final Verdict
This episode is rubbish, the characters are doring, the vampires are wrong, the plot is dumb and so one. The only good moments in it are when the vampire girls first appear without the fangs and the scene when the father of girl who is called Isabella is dead. He has stolen a load of gun powder from work and blows up the girls while ripping off the, this is Sparta line from 300 which is pretty bad ass.

My final verdict for doctor who: vampires of Venice a low and disappointing.

3/10
Awful

If it wasn’t for the good points I made earlier about the episode and before doctor who fans go mad at me I have nothing against doctor who as a whole as I am a fan of show I just don’t like the recent series with Matt smith as the doctor. I would see give it a look to see what I mean or else miss this one. Please leave your comments and views below please. I have been doing some research and found out that they had vampires in doctor who in the past and I’m not sure on this for certain but they look right as vampires should do but I am not sure for certain.

The reason why I think this episode exists to get money from the rise of vampire fiction at the moment which is a money grad scheme if ever I saw one. From doctor who I expected better especially when I am fan of the series and of vampires, unless it is more original vampire style or they make it more like the vampires we all know and love then doctor who and vampires should never be mixed together at all.

The link to the episode on BBC iplayer if this has expired there is sure to be on YouTube.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ires_of_Venice/

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 28th May 2012 at 2:04 AM
That is...Freaking awesome. I love that she hissed, but then again that is real vampires there. Hiding from the sun to show that they are "normal". You see, traditional Vampires are just amazing, and yet...Just burn. I remember when I first watched Interview with a Vampire, the scene where Kristen Dunst's character burns...I think I cried a little bit. But see traditional Vampires NEVER age, NEVER. Ever. So yeah o.o

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Instructor
#5 Old 28th May 2012 at 2:17 AM
Considering that they are not vampires at all but a race of aquatic aliens that have relocated to Earth after their own planet was destroyed... It's not surprising they don't fit vampire lore to the tee. It was a red herring, You were meant to think they were actual vampires until the big reveal.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 28th May 2012 at 6:57 AM
Well, see I do not watch Doctor Who, yeah I know. I just never got around to watching it, and that it was a show that really didn't appeal to me. >.> But yeah. I dunno. I guess I really wish there a show, that captured true Vampires. Yeah yeah I have heard of Vampire Diaries and True Blood, but yeah, never could get into those either.

As for, a person that never watched Doctor Who, I could easily uninterrupted the pictures as being Vampires, therefore, I did not know.

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th May 2012 at 11:22 AM
You could watch this without watching the rest fo seris as it does not relate to much other plots in the seris.

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th May 2012 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elyasis
Considering that they are not vampires at all but a race of aquatic aliens that have relocated to Earth after their own planet was destroyed... It's not surprising they don't fit vampire lore to the tee. It was a red herring, You were meant to think they were actual vampires until the big reveal.

I wish they did not call them vampires if they look like a fish more than a human in the reval if they has called anything else rather than vampires.

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th May 2012 at 11:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Levera
Well, see I do not watch Doctor Who, yeah I know. I just never got around to watching it, and that it was a show that really didn't appeal to me. >.> But yeah. I dunno. I guess I really wish there a show, that captured true Vampires. Yeah yeah I have heard of Vampire Diaries and True Blood, but yeah, never could get into those either.

As for, a person that never watched Doctor Who, I could easily uninterrupted the pictures as being Vampires, therefore, I did not know.

I have to agree, the closet I've seen to more traditional vampires who only come at night and only come in day time but stay hidden from the sun. They feed of human blood and turn into bats are the vampires of kids show called young dracula. It's adout the young son of count dracula who wants in the first 2 seris not decome a vampire and be normal and the thrid seris he wants vampires and humans to live in peace.

That is the closet I have seen to traditonal vampires of tv shows, a kids show is more arract to traditonal vampirs than doctor who .

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 6:00 PM
Did any acturally like my review or agreed with me on something?

Nocturnal Dawn