Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 1:15 AM
Hello Again!
is it possible to make a multiplayer mod for the sims 2? i feel like it will be impossible.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 1:31 AM
Multiplayer games and singleplayer games are completely different things that need a completely different architecture. You'd have to completely remake the game to make it multiplayer.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 3:28 AM
Everything is impossible until someone does it. If you can figure out how to do it, you will dazzle us all. But don't be disappointed in yourself if you can't, 'cause that would be majorly hard, especially to do by yourself. And what, ultimately, would be the point? It's not as if there's a clear goal multiple players could compete over or aim for.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#4 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 4:27 AM
Way back (early 2000's?), EA tried TSO, The Sims Online, and it flopped. Partially due to a monthly subscription charge, partly because new content wasn't offered as much as the fan base wanted, and partially because it spawned a number of user created "adult" parlors which exchanged WooHoo for Simoleans. I think it got rebranded to EALand at some point, but popularity never took hold.

EDIT: The Sims Online Wiki
It appears there may be an online game FreeSO that is based off off TSO according to the last of the Wiki info.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 5:08 AM
There is som online social activity related to the game now in forums with being able to update others on what's happening in your game and there are online chat groupls like the one attatched to RPC though I don't use that because I like to remain lffline while playing the game and go online afterwards to share game updates.
Theorist
#7 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 1:40 PM Last edited by Orphalesion : 19th Jun 2022 at 1:53 PM.
What I've read and seen of that Sims Online thing, it sounded absolutely awful. It seems like people were just skilling through mini-games and throwing parties (and the typical MMO cancer of people farming items).

In general Sims is a game about everyday life, and an online version would severely limit the things you could do, in my opinion.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
What I've read and seen of that Sims Online thing, it sounded absolutely awful. It seems like people were just skilling through mini-games and throwing parties (and the typical MMO cancer of people farming items).

In TS3 skilling minigames and farming items were literally part of the singleplayer game, as well. It's part of the reason I stopped playing it, I realized it had got me into an MMO-like rut rather than it being a sandbox game.
Theorist
#9 Old 20th Jun 2022 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
In TS3 skilling minigames and farming items were literally part of the singleplayer game, as well. It's part of the reason I stopped playing it, I realized it had got me into an MMO-like rut rather than it being a sandbox game.

Well with farming items in online games I mean those people who camp at spawning grounds for rare items and such (sometimes blocking them for other users) or otherwise snatch up large quantities of said items and then sell them for real world money.

But otherwise yeah, that's why I don't really hold my breath in case the rumours from a while back are true and Rod "Humble" is developing a Sim-Competitor for Paradox, he was the one who brought all of that to Sims, it was already apparent in the last couple of expansions of Sims 2 he was involved with, but Sims 3 was full of content like that.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Instructor
#10 Old 20th Jun 2022 at 10:18 PM
I tried FreeSO last summer and the laptop hated it so I had to stop, but I actually enjoyed it very much! Of course it's quite different than playing sandbox style sims1, but I couldn't get that to work at all on any computer since 2012, so I was glad just to get my nostalgia trip and I also enjoyed interacting with all the nice people I met there. It's not a moneymaking machine for EA either, so the worst kind of greed is probably rare - I didn't see any of it. But it did make think I was glad we don't have an online multiplayer sims 2! I would hate it, it would be just too far removed in character from the sandbox game I've learned to love. The whole fun of the game for me is what goes on in my head as I play, what I picture my sims are thinking and feeling and planning. In a multiplayer game you don't get to do that, you are your sim and other people are the sims your sim meets. No room for imagination and creativity! It didn't bother me as much in FreeSO because I never quite had the same elaborate story building going in that game, so I missed it less.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 20th Jun 2022 at 10:49 PM
No idea if it is possible but no I would never use it, not unless it was like a group thing with a few friends like a live stream that lasted for say an hour or two and it did not affect my main game. I would hate some random person coming into my game and wrecking it-because that is what would happen, can guarantee it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Jun 2022 at 12:01 AM
There's a multiplayer/online mod for TS4, but not sure how it works. I think the player controls a sim each, but no idea how the building and such works (maybe more of a RPG?) It's shown in play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_2B-dPOEJk (not sure if it's this one: https://modthesims.info/d/629316/si...player-mod.html )

Could be an alternative if you really want to play sims with friends.

Anyway, I don't know (or think) it's possible for TS2. If it was, I wouldn't be interested. Nobody goes digging around in my game but me...