Replies: 20 (Who?), Viewed: 493 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 9:12 PM
Default The Nanny In The Sims 2
a lot of nannies in the my game develop negative relationships with my sims. A lot but not all Nannies start by annoying my parent sims then in my game for some reason, they start attacking's my sims with their finger. Causing my sims to cry. then it's sometimes hard to fire them because my game will delete the fire action and then the nanny will poke again

Does this happen to anyone else in the sims 2?

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with Firefox enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 9:16 PM
Probably would have been better suited for this thread... https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=574020 ...as I don't think this needs its own whole post, but to each his own.

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 9:17 PM
Yes, it happens to me sometimes, although how I find it funny it has never bothered me. xD When I don't want it to happen I try to keep the parents from interacting with it much.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 9:29 PM
Looks like there's a couple other people here who've experienced the nanny poking: https://modthesims.info/t/522560
I don't think I've seen it, though. Maybe it's the nanny's personality, and you just happen to get very cranky ones that form a bad relationship to your sims almost immediately. The nanny is generally very glitchy, so I prefer to avoid using nannies at all.

(My sims generally don't leave the lot now, so not much need for nannies, honestly - back when I did use them a bit, I found them rather useless, so I usually tried finding ways around, like having only one sim working, or trying to match up the parents' work schedules so one sim was always home, or having a teen or elder on the lot who could look after the younglings).

But yeah - not everything needs its own thread...
Alchemist
#5 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 9:44 PM
I find it depends on the Nanny, Karen Gast and Kendal Lawson always picks fights with my sims due to their mean personality and seeing as they appear in every hood unless you use clean templates, they appear frequently. I have a lovely randomly generated nanny in my megahood, I'm always happy when she arrives because she easily befriends all the sims on the lot.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 9:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpal425
Probably would have been better suited for this thread...as I don't think this needs its own whole post

Someone else suggested to Aspersim to make a post about this, so if there's interest maybe it would be useful?

In my main world, both of my nannies have high nice points and seem to get on fine with the families. But, I usually just have them there when the sims are at work, so if there is another adult at home, I dismiss them. So they don't get a lot of time to interact with people during work hours. But they seem to play nice if they are invited to parties or seen on community lots, so I think it must be that if you get a grumpy nanny, she will be mean to your sims! [Blocking AndrewGloria's ears first] Kill the mean ones with fire!!! And get some nicer ones!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Scholar
#7 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 11:32 PM
the grannanies can be nasty, happens. They seems to be sometimes clones of Ms Crumplebottom or such.
But these teennanies are just outright dangerous (beware if you have got romance parent in the family!) :D

Fox-Lambert (A)RL
hiatus 'till the life run again in the normal-abnormal way
favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Link Ninja
#8 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 11:47 PM
I have never experienced this from nannies when I play, usually because the parents are gone when the nanny is there as that is what the nanny is for in my game, watching children because the adults in the household are unable to because of work. It might be the nannies are mean, personality wise. I have seen 'mean' npcs go up and poke other npcs in the background while I have my sim at community lots so I wouldn't put it past a 'mean' nanny to do that if you have her around when other adults are in residence.

I have also had that where if I try to 'dismiss' the nanny the action will drop, either it takes too long for my adult to get them or my adult sim will drop the action to do something more interesting.

And guys, I told Aspersim to start a new thread because they were trying to have this conversation in an old thread, not super relevant, from May. Sure, they could put it in the questions thread but considering the amount of replies so far, I don't know if anyone wants to read a page of replies about why the nanny is poking, who has had a pokey-nanny, then get their question buried by more nanny replies.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Instructor
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 12:31 AM
Sounds like the curse of the unsavory charlatan. If you pick a fight with him to get him to stop bugging you, he'll follow you home and everywhere else. It's off topic but that's one NPC I don't miss.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 1:01 AM
Most times in my game the nanny's are mostly helpful with babies and toddlers, especially when a sim autonomously has twins or more. I mean they will clean out the pottey training toilet and all the bottles, they feed the babies when your sim has low mood indicators is vary useful for training toddlers. Since It annoying to need to keep emptying the pottey all the time especially when the toddler refused to go to the bathroom in it, and you need to clean the pottey anyway, too bad every time you clean the potty your sim needs to walk to the toleit to flush it down, sometimes, they will toss it in a trashcan but that is after waiting 4 sim hours on a stuck sim waiting to get past another sim blocking the way.

Nannys with bath and keep those toddler mood indicators up so you can take care of your adults and other age groups like children, if them children don't do their homework or miss school to much ALL children toddlers and babies can get taken away by the social worker

I hire a maid and a nanny when I have twins and I don't feel like dealing with the constant squealing of sims due to a low environment mood indicator. what's worst of all is when sims have no energy and low hunger bar, I hate when that happens.

So I sometimes will desperately tell sims to stuff their face with juice or chips just to keep them alive when that happens, because they will die otherwise with their face in their plate sleeping if it's normal food at a dinner table

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with Firefox enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 2:11 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Oct 2021 at 5:57 PM.
The vanilla nannies used to be kinda useless (probably the fault of general baby/toddler searming issues) so I gave them up pretty quickly. Instead I found a lot of other ways to manage families with large households (and lots of kids - most of my families used to satisfy the "have 10 kids" want back in the days )

If you prioritize needs properly (both parents and kids), get the little ones on a rough schedule (preferably parents, too), have at least one or two adult/elder/teen sims in the house at all times, and keep the nursery at the same floor as the kitchen and bathroom (to avoid stairs and keep the fridge plus the bathtub close), it's not too difficult to manage little ones. You just have to avoid all the obvious obstacles.

If you use highchairs, put toddlers in them before serving a family meal, and the toddlers should also get a serving. (At least you don't have to serve the toddler an extra meal if you are going to use the highchair anyway. Personally I've mostly given up highchairs for vanilla gameplay, because there's the added annoyance of getting the toddler in and out of them, bottles get the job done much easier, and toddlers are absolutely adorable when they fight over the bottles).

Single/twins are fine if there's one working sim and one at home (that's usually how I do things if I even care to give sims jobs). Triplets/quads (or more, if there's both babies and toddlers on the lot), and I prefer having both parents, maybe a teen or elder helping if there's some in the family, but no way I get that nanny...

Social and fun needs - you can fix these for two sims at a time, like playing/socializing with a toddler. Fun (for the whole family) can also be fulfilled by doing fun skilling activities (toddlers are best kept away from the toilet with skilling toys).
Hunger - can be fixed for toddler and up via family meal like described above (make something that satisfies hunger, and if you let sims cook meals when they're happy, you have leftovers for when they need quick meals. Chips and juice are considered snacks, and I think they have certain negative effects, especially on bladder and fitness, plus they don't satisfy hunger the same way as a proper meal).
Energy/comfort - get a bed that fills energy and comfort faster, but also chairs/sofas that fill comfort more. Sims spend much less time sleeping that way.
Environment - Most annoying, doesn't actually matter too much unless you're having the principal over, but if you want to satisfy it, I think expensive items fulfill it best in vanilla mode.
Hygiene - potty train that little rascal (be quick with the diaper changes until you do), and keep 'em out of the bathroom (lock the door) when they're not supposed to be there. Playing in the toilet or puddles, or staying in a dirty diaper, means more time spent in the bathtub.

Of course, self-exploding and/or everlasting bottles, self-cleaning potties, and a bunch of other useful mods does make baby/toddler care a bit easier... For my sake it's more out of convenience, because there's a lot less cleaning.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 8:57 AM
As long as the babies/toddlers/children are still alive when the parents come home, I don't care too much about what the nannies do Looking after my own grandchild at times, it can be quite exhausting (although it is awesome too) and parents can be irritating (not to mention other relatives), especially since they are not even there most of the time.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 9:47 AM
I have the teen/adult nanny mod and lots of baby and toddler mods. Most of the time all the nanny does is watch tv or clean. Doesnt interact with the parents much.

Have you ever walked into a room & forgot why you went in there?
What if God is playing The Sims & he just cancelled your action.
Adopt-a-Sim My Creations My Tumblr
Forum Resident
#14 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 9:20 PM
Funnily enough, this topic couldn’t have come at a better time, because Kendal Lawson isn’t in my good books at the moment.

Last night, I was playing Daisy… I’ll just call her by her maiden name “Dreamer,” because her current surname is long and a mouthful. So, I was playing her and her child son, Nathan, when she wanted to see the ghost of her mother, Brandi. Nathan was at school, so she didn’t have to call a Nanny. I could have waited until her son came home, but I wasn’t using common sense last night apparently. Daisy was on that community lot for over 40 hours until I gave up and had her go home.

I have Community Time, so she would be gone for 40 hours. When Nathan got home, he called the Nanny and Kendal Lawson showed up. For the most part, she was fine, she caused no issues. It got late and Nathan was tired, so he went to bed. What did Kendal do? She left… she left the child on his own in the middle of the night, just because he went to bed! This happened at 9pm.

It got to 4am and nothing had happened, so I was relieved thinking that him being asleep didn’t count as him being home alone. After I had that relieving thought, guess who showed up… the Social Worker!

So… a lot of sos in this post… Daisy lost her son, because the Nanny just up and left him because he was in bed. He’s now going to be moving in with his Uncle Skipp since he likes him better than his own mother anyway, but still… silly Nanny!

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 10:54 PM
You can't really expect a nanny to hang around for a 40 hour shift. That's a full work week! Most people's nanny problems are down to not understanding game mechanics and not having reasonable expectations, most of the time.

All the same, I don't use nannies often, because I was so traumatized by the one who showed up the first time I played the Newsons. She ignored Georgia, spoiled Garret rotten, never changed a diaper at a changing table or cleaned a dirty diaper off of the floor, littered the lower floor with bottles that poor hungry crying dirty Georgia couldn't reach because she was upstairs, and spent a lot of time playing musical cribs/high chairs with them. Part of that was my ignorance of mechanics but part of it was her. Since then I've gotten some mods and fixes that make toddler-minding less likely to bug out and learned how to optimize a house for toddlers. As long as nobody starves and there's always someone in the house to keep the social worker at bay, that's all I ask of the nanny. But it's generally more fun for me to have someone at home with the kids.

I have a soft spot for Kendall Lawson, even though I know she's a grouch, because of how things ran in my Conquering Nose Uberhood Challenge with Rhett Hart. He had to work and spent most of his time without a partner living at home, and (as is the point of the challenge) kept accumulating more and more kids, so he had to have a nanny. In his first neighborhood, after his first babymama, Sandy Beech, left him and baby Silver to go home to Widespot and her husband, he called the nanny service and got Callista Despret. She was less than ideal, sometimes arriving late, feeding Silver constantly if she wasn't jumping on the trampoline, fixing large meals and leaving them out to spoil, never emptying potties, and stalking Rhett's father, Valentine Hart, when he visited. But she showed up, and Silver adored her. When Rhett moved to Belladonna Cove, the nanny code glitched out and he had to call in a new one, this time getting Kendall Lawson.

Well, Kendall was a dream. She showed up on time, she didn't potty train (I think that requires a mod) but she emptied potties, she cleaned, she cooked appropriately, she fed pets, she used changing tables, she used high chairs but didn't strand kids in them, she treated family and babymamas with brusque professionalism, and no matter how many children she was minding nothing rattled or confused her. She followed that family all over the uberhood and she was wonderful.

However, I couldn't play challenge-style straight through. I am a natural rotation player, though I modified my rotations to maximize my challenge experience. And when other families I played in that uberhood called a nanny, they got Kendall - and she was a nightmare. She continued to look after the children tolerably well, but she picked fights with her employers and charged for the privilege, not always going home on time in favor of hanging around to noseflick them. Coincidentally (or not so coincidentally, given Rhett's proclivities) every couple she babysat for included someone who was on Rhett's list of lovers, so that was how I made story sense of it, but I've never heard of a nanny being coded for loyalty to any one employer and in any case, since she always left promptly when Rhett got home when I played the main household, she had no relationship points with him.

What this tells me is that there's random and situational factors involving how the same nanny behaves from household to household, demonstrating yet again the complexity of this game.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 12:08 PM
If a nanny is not permanently employed, she turns up for a shift of 8 (or perhaps it is 10?) hours. She may stay around longer if kids or babies are on there own, but once a parent/other relative comes home, she will leave.
That is how the game works. If you want a nanny around longer, you need to hire another one.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 1:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
Conquering Nose Uberhood Challenge .

What is a "conquering nose" challenge? Is that like where you have to pass down a Sim's nose to as many descendants as possible?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 4:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpetro
If a nanny is not permanently employed, she turns up for a shift of 8 (or perhaps it is 10?) hours. She may stay around longer if kids or babies are on there own, but once a parent/other relative comes home, she will leave.
That is how the game works. If you want a nanny around longer, you need to hire another one.

The thing is though, with my issue, the nanny only stayed for 4 hours or something like that and left the child on his own just because he went to bed. There were no adults on the lot either, so she did just up and leave the child on his own. I didn't bother waking him to hire another one, because 1) He was extremely exhausted, so he would have kept passing out constantly 2) I didn't want to risk hiring another nanny just to have her do the same thing as the previous, and 3) I figured that if the Nanny just left him on his own because he was in bed, perhaps the Social Worker would just ignore him for that same reason; I was wrong on that assumption however.

I'm not really bothered by it in retrospect, as it's given a twist in an admittedly boring household. Besides he's moving in with his favourite Uncle, the one who's the Mayor

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 6:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
What is a "conquering nose" challenge? Is that like where you have to pass down a Sim's nose to as many descendants as possible?

That was just what I called my Uberhood Challenge, on the assumption that the Hart nose would dominate the premade noses (and hoo boy did it! Also, Geminis out the wazoo, only one kid took advantage of Rhett's possession of a recessive gene). The Uberhood Challenge is taking one sim around the Uberhood having babies with one premade sim per neighborhood and keeping them all. Except Rhett was an overachiever and got three ladies in Riverblossom Hills pregnant; and mine was a Genderswapped Uberhood. I documented it all on my tumblr, where it is of course nearly impossible to follow a storyline of any age, so I made a sideblog just for links to the individual entries in chronological order so interested parties could read through it consecutively a little more conveniently. Go here: https://conqueringnose.tumblr.com/, select Archive, navigate to the oldest entry, and proceed. (I said a little more conveniently.) Tumblr occasionally randomly deletes a post and I have no idea how many of those links are invalid...

Anyway, back on topic, yes, leaving after 40 hours and calling social services saying the kid was abandoned would be reasonable; leaving after 4 is not and the nanny service should be sued.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#20 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 10:21 PM
Like many elements of the game, nannies can be sources of randomness and chaos. Yes, they perform a service, but they also introduce difficulties. It is a game, after all. The nannies sometimes drive me crazy, but I like the randomness they introduce. I need that randomness to keep my game interesting.

Speaking of the aforementioned Kendal Lawson, she has been nanny to many of my Pleasantview families. Just recently, I was playing the Sims/Traveller family, where she is nanny, and Amin Sims happened to prepare some food that Kendal left out--which happened to be that dessert you set on fire--and Amin happened to set himself on fire. Randomness and chaos, and quite unexpected for me, so interesting.

I also noticed that quite a lot of my male Sims think Kendal is very attractive. I've seen them farting hearts at her, and several--including the late Amin--had two or three bolts for her. Was it her cooking skill that won their hearts? I've never actually tried to have a Sim date a nanny, and I don't think I ever will, but I guess that could be interesting.

What prompted me to come here, though, is that I lost poor Kendal today to more randomness and chaos. Tina Traveller Burb brought home the cowplant from her job, and I thought she put it behind a locked gate, but apparently Kendal could get in there, and get in there she did. I'll just chalk that up to Tina's little science experiment, although she certainly didn't intend for it to happen. I suppose there will be a lot of tears from my neighborhood kids--and some of their dads--when I next make the rounds.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineNualla
the grannanies can be nasty, happens. They seems to be sometimes clones of Ms Crumplebottom or such.
But these teennanies are just outright dangerous (beware if you have got romance parent in the family!) :D

Teen nannies? Is that a mod? I've only seen the elders.

At any rate, I only use one when I absolutely cannot avoid the social worker any other way due to work hours. They do dumb stuff like bathing a hungry baby.