Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#126 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 2:05 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 2nd Jul 2022 at 2:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Three things about this trailer:

Oh wow, a gay couple as the center of the trailer!? SO BRAVE!!...For the 14th time! And such a convenient distraction from a lack of features!

Interesting how the real world has an LGBT population that compromises an average of 3% of the world population, but in the Sims World, it's slowly crawling it's way up to 30% at this point. Seriously, am I mistaken or have they consistently released pre-made LGBT characters since Cats and Dogs...?

But more importantly before people ask "what have you got against LBGT?!" Nothing! It's about a distraction. A distraction from the lack of features. In the same way people trash corporate America for flying the LGBT flag like crazy during Pride Month and then trashing it immediately when the topic isn't trending, Sims 4 throws Pride everywhere because it's guarenteed sales for people who cannot separate their politics and their purchases. It is not about representation, it's about guarenteed sales. They're trying to "guilt" people into supporting by screaming about what loyal allies the Sims Team is and how they should be rewarded for this. It's amazing one of the features of this pack isn't teen Simbortions given how talked about the topic is at the moment.

LGBT is "trendy," so the Sims Team cries from the rooftops about what a great ally they are to try and coerce sales as a reward for their good morals. The disabled aren't as mainstream and trendy, so they can go die in a fire for all the Sims Team cares. Oh but if they have money, they can gladly continue buying into false hope, that works too! And at the end of the day, none of this has anything to do with GAMEPLAY.

As a gay man myself, I have to agree. I too find it very queerbaiting that on the trailer I seen two-three times on different three households having pride flag hung up, which isn't special when it's done all over the place. Did/seen it before, not giving developers kudos for saluting with our emblia ,which that symbol does nothing to kill homophobia, for whatever-teen/tenth time. Marketing plot - I'm not gonna pat or shake Maxis/Team for telling the world gayz exist and we should receive toleration just cause they put virtual Sims kissing and a piece of colores fabric that somewhat convinces homophobes to stop homophobia. And that's the most bare minimum - EA minions and sub-minions haven't done really anything to help those who struggling with human rights or discrimination. Personally, I don't need a politisized flag in my game: The Sims doesn't nees pride/BLM/metoo/whatever flag because the game doesn't have discrimination. I would be more ok with fictional problem, like occultphobia flag or whatever. Making and recreating said unique Sims with a different orientation or skin color is enough feature for me.

Now, regarding Highschool years features, I also found the sms mechanic kinda dull and pretend-do-believe..Ever since the earliest life, I detest Sims being so... texty? Not sure how to put. Now plsyers are able to write Strings of text to other Sims, as if there were any point to the player's benefits or the virtual characters that aren't sentinent to talk back to the player. While we are suppose to control Sims and every action, the idea of dicdating what they should suppose to message/type in and every micro-action doesn't excite me or entice me to get enthuased about. I have doubts that this so called "gameplay mechanics" is worth inventing attention for me when it hardly impacts/affecrs to the game too minimal/nothing.

Same goes for potential "starting (new) fashion trend)" I picked up from depicted trailer. Maybe it can be proved useful, for
changing townie teens that look like they came out from met gala but freak-show. But when I think of highschools, it seems underwheling in terms of mechanic number.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#127 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 6:28 PM
I will just make a few comments.
LGBT - I think that many people would view this in the game as an inclusion wanted by many and not a distraction.
Disabilities - this has been debated to the rafters and beyond and many including me feel this is a no win for EA as there is no way to do it that will please everyone and not tick off others. It is far too complex of an issue for Sims.
Texting - This is something that the 12s will love and we know this game is geared to them. And people of all ages nowadays, are on their phones and texting constantly. This is life for IMO too many people now.
Gameplay - We all like gameplay but Sims since day one has been viewed as a sandbox game where we create our own gameplay and stories from what they provide. 4 is more shallow than the previous versions I think most of us would agree, so gameplay additions are less and also fewer due to the limitations of this game. So, it is expected nowadays if we follow this game at all that there are not going to be huge additions? We know what this game is now.

If we like the game, play as wanted. If not, move on and play what we like.
Instructor
#128 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
LGBT - I think that many people would view this in the game as an inclusion wanted by many and not a distraction.
Disabilities - this has been debated to the rafters and beyond and many including me feel this is a no win for EA as there is no way to do it that will please everyone and not tick off others. It is far too complex of an issue for Sims.

The point behind naming these two together was not to say they should include disabilities, (understandable it eats too much dev time) but rather the difference in attitude that the Sims Team shows towards a "mainstream" minority group and one that doesn't have loads of media attention.

The point was that the difference in attitude highlights that it's really only about profit for them. If tomorrow LGBT were somehow only supported by 20% of the population again and otherwise shunned, they'd drop them like a rock and you'd never see an LGBT flag from them again.

There's also a big difference between saying "sorry, but disabilities don't seem feasible to develop given our time restraints and budgets. You're welcome to discuss your ideas and desires though" and locking threads about this topic for "political campaigning" at the same moment there's stickied threads about LGBT, as well as silently banning those who post such threads. One of these is being reasonable, the other is just downright weird and makes you question if the team has a beef with the disabled.

That's also supported in how SimGuruGrant approached the situation: the moment pressure piled on from the community because people took notice of the hypocrisy, was there an apology from the Sims Team? No, Grant tweeted that "including disabilities was now totally possible" in the future without actually devulging how or naming any concrete plans to do so. He did what the Sims Team always does: he sold hope. Why? Because apologizing in the corporate world means admitting to a problem, and that's bad. But alluding to future features that consumers want...? (in this case, a blatant lie) That generates sales, and that's all it was ever about for this team.
Mad Poster
#129 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 2:03 PM
Including disabilities is possible, but also very difficult and the team may come across as insensitive for adding them. For example: a broken limb. The team can very easily add a series of outfits for the Sims in a sling, or add a cast as an accessory. Since we have bikes, we can have wheelchairs, but this would limit in game mobility and force them to rework much of the game around sims who cannot move with as much freedom (unless the wheelchair is an accessories to pair with the foot in a cast). However, this is only injuries. It’s a lot more work then it’s worth.

It’s not only a lot of work, it’s too much work. At best, we’ll get cast and some animation tweeks. Maybe a new walk cycle. These injuries would have been great in snowy escape or get to work, but meh.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#130 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Including disabilities is possible, but also very difficult and the team may come across as insensitive for adding them. For example: a broken limb. The team can very easily add a series of outfits for the Sims in a sling, or add a cast as an accessory. Since we have bikes, we can have wheelchairs, but this would limit in game mobility and force them to rework much of the game around sims who cannot move with as much freedom (unless the wheelchair is an accessories to pair with the foot in a cast). However, this is only injuries. It’s a lot more work then it’s worth.

It’s not only a lot of work, it’s too much work. At best, we’ll get cast and some animation tweeks. Maybe a new walk cycle. These injuries would have been great in snowy escape or get to work, but meh.

I dont think his point was the idea of adding disabilities to sims. It was just used as an example the the team will follow whatever is "trending" in order to make a dime.
Mad Poster
#131 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 12:39 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 4th Jul 2022 at 12:56 PM.

Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
I dont think his point was the idea of adding disabilities to sims. It was just used as an example the the team will follow whatever is "trending" in order to make a dime.

To be honest, there is a 'cast' from the Uni pack, but it's either purely decorative, or appears if your sim gets a sprain from a sports event (which is nothing like a broken arm).

This leads to the main point I think people have raised- that a lot of this progressive stuff is aesthetics only, and there really isn't any sort of gameplay or even any sort of moodlets behind it.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't patched in any sort of Pride month holiday events so far, but I guess this would get your entire game banned across several regions of the world. That's why I guess they let modders do the real work there.

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Now, regarding Highschool years features, I also found the sms mechanic kinda dull and pretend-do-believe..Ever since the earliest life, I detest Sims being so... texty? Not sure how to put. Now plsyers are able to write Strings of text to other Sims, as if there were any point to the player's benefits or the virtual characters that aren't sentinent to talk back to the player. While we are suppose to control Sims and every action, the idea of dicdating what they should suppose to message/type in and every micro-action doesn't excite me or entice me to get enthuased about. I have doubts that this so called "gameplay mechanics" is worth inventing attention for me when it hardly impacts/affecrs to the game too minimal/nothing..

I hope it's not real- I dislike any gameplay feature that requires the player to input more than a few words of text- It's like the blog feature in TS3, utterly pointless while requiring too much micromanagement. IMO, they should automate this feature and given your sim options for responding to texts (happy, sad, angry, etc.) regarding certain topics, with text being generated or pulled from a string list. This at least still keeps gameplay flowing, and and player attention focused on the main gameplay arenas.
Forum Resident
#132 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 1:26 PM
Someone leaked curved walls and the girls are shaking

I've never understood why they haven't included this when we already have curved rooms and fences.

I get that curving doors and windows are a bit more complex, but even a bare wall would be fine. It's not like you can do a lot else with the curved fences anyway.
Scholar
#133 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 1:51 PM
To be fair, they made real strides in The Sims 4 versus past The Sims games by adding gender identity and expression. Those were completely non-existent in past The Sims games, and it was an overdue addition.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#134 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Believe who you want to believe, but don't hold your breath at the same time. Curved windows? Really? I'm not even buying the curved wall thing. As always, I leave the door open for Maxis to prove me wrong. I would think though this would be a big deal and be worthy of a sneak peek in the recent trailer if either were a thing. I digress.

The tweet no longer exists because someone probably got in trouble for posting it. I decided to go looking after someone mentioned they saw a curved wall in the trailer. At approximately 0:37 in, for a split second, curved walls can be seen in the trailer.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#135 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 5:03 PM
I would't get my hopes up. Maybe the school is some kind of a shell which you can change the wallpapers / interiors like apartments and it has a pre-set curved wall?
Mad Poster
#136 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 5:08 PM
It was likely still in production when the trailer was recorded, so there were probably visual issues with them.

Quote: Originally posted by toxicboy
I would't get my hopes up. Maybe the school is some kind of a shell which you can change the wallpapers / interiors like apartments and it has a pre-set curved wall?

Based on the trailer and the release shots, the school looks mostly editable, with the ability to add or remove levels, paint walls/floor, add colors, windows, etc.. If the school is a mostly static shell, this is probably where Dream Home Decorator got it's gameplay from.

Mad Poster
#137 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 5:43 PM
Thinking realistically in terms of project scope, why would the planter be rounded, and any wall objects? I can see them adding in a few windows to use specifically on curved falls (as the windows may not have been designed with this feature in mind 8 years ago like fences were), but not objects. That goes firmly in the "It would be nice" camp.

Mad Poster
#138 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 6:44 PM
We can’t say there won’t be just yet, just that this one planter is not. I would expect the same in real like. People typically won’t decorate curved walls in real life. In real life, a curved walls would probably have a plant throw in the corner or something on the inside, or be blank on the outside. Usually, the curve is enough if there isn’t a window there because such a feature requires expensive build ins.

If anything, the curved seats from DHD would fit in nicely here.

Smeg Head
#139 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 1:51 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 5th Jul 2022 at 2:41 PM.
If round walls are true, (And I don't care one way or the other.) I predict a hotfix a few weeks later.
They'll base round walls on the round foundations with round fences that's already present in game. Just making those fences into walls. (Why have they never done that before, you may ask.) A modder, ages ago, did indeed do something similar. Tall glass fences as high as walls, to appear as windows, to touch the ceiling and give an indoor effect. But the mod did not account for the outdoor lighting effect making the indoor effect look like... crap, as the "rounded rooms" interior looked horrible due to the outdoor lighting. That would be too much coding work for a modder to tinker with to get right. And the way Maxis test things, - or seemingly don't - I would imagine the same thing would occur. The reports (Complaints) start coming in of the yucky outdoor lighting permeating within the interior of new round rooms.

Hotfix time. Again. I mean, they still haven't got basements right. That is to say, they did at first. But then eventually gave us Seasons. Where outdoor and indoor really started to mean more with temperature, not just lighting effects. And where the indoor lighting is fine in basements, you still get sims changing into winter wear when going down into basements, no matter how warm and cozy the basement appears, it's still seen as outside. I had to mod that out of my game, I don't know how most players tolerate that without a fix. Maybe most don't use basements, (For instance, very few downloadable houses on the Gallery or here on MTS do include basements.) so don't notice this winter wear, still outdoors effect. Or maybe they do notice the effect, so stopped bothering with basements post Seasons EP.

Half walls, as exterior walls, for your tropical-themed houses, in both TS3 and TS4 render the room as outdoors. Yucky lighting and Umbrellas up inside, don't you know. Never have they got that right. Half walls based on the coding of fences, rather than walls. As will round walls be, no doubt. But if round walls are to be a thing, and they do manage to get interior lighting correct, then they better bloody-well apply that fix to half walls as well, like they have not done yet it two iterations of the game. Round walls = umbrellas up + shitty indoor lighting, fucking keep it, Maxis. Not worth a damn.

What I'm getting at, is it is hard to separate what is indoors and outdoors in this game. So beware rounded walls. If it is even true.

(Though I did suspect Maxis would try to squeeze round walls into the game before the release of Paralives.)

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Forum Resident
#140 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 5:07 PM
I wouldn't put it past someone to photoshop an image to look like that. Though I've heard the latest patch added a fair amount of flags/code relating to walls and windows. Clearly, the devs have done a lot of work on windows with the new pack, as Sims can now sit in or climb through them and they've always been almost entirely non-interactable objects until now. I don't think it's a stretch to think that they took the time to make them curvable as well.

I imagine their approach would be to apply a curve to the existing window meshes, which would probably look fine for the majority of the windows in the game. It's not something that would work well on non-flat objects, which is why I would not expect something like the wall planter boxes to be curved (and do curved wall planters even exist in real life? Is this a thing?) Wouldn't be shocked if some of the bulkier windows were disallowed for curvature as well for that reason.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#141 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 6:20 PM
Hey, I have originality for the next five following Expansion packs after this:

The Sims 4: Kindergarden NapTime
The Sims 4: Boarding School
The Sims 4: Foster homes/Adoption
The Sims 4: Military Drafting
The Sims 4: Horrors of Retirement Home And Angry Nurses
and The Sims 4: Funeral Social Event...

Ain't anyone having fun for particular institutions fun of the asking 40€ price? Screw the single Generations cake! Peacemeal the crap so player eat 1/4 portions of even a SINGLE cake peace. Players be starving to death by the crumps. Why is nobody complaining about this besides me?

Mad Poster
#142 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 7:01 PM
A bit of a stretch but a rumor:
https://twitter.com/RAVASHEENCC/sta...320205006458880

Not seeing the connection but you'd never know; I would honestly place recolorable ceilings above curved walls, unless they want to use this as an opportunity to prototype for TS5.
Mad Poster
#143 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 4:49 AM
Curved walls were a highly requested feature since the game was in its promotional phase. With curved floors, roofs, foundations, fences, spandrels, friezes, trims, and now platforms, having a curved walls makes sense. The exclusion stuck out like a sore thumb.

While I would also love painted ceilings (for obvious reasons), I spend more like looking at an exterior or floor plan than I do a ceiling.

Curved walls were probably excluded because of how they’re used. For example: I don’t think it’s possible to put a curved platform within a foundation. The game refuses to do that. I would imagine the system is the same, but with walls.

Mad Poster
#144 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 3:51 PM
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#145 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Leaked map:

https://twitter.com/a8gu293j/status...dhf9dY__S23uE4w

Imagine living in a town that's consist of only a school and a milkshake/boba tea hangout place for freakisly-adult-looking teens to mingle around. This is TS4 for ya. Lot variety is absurd/pathetic/inferior to TS3's.

i can't help but still stand and think that the theme of this expansion pack tied with the world is stupidly pick. Takes the spot before Eco Living.

Forum Resident
#146 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 8:46 PM
If you look closely at the active household on the leaked map, looks to be the exact place where the curved wall screenshot was taken.
Mad Poster
#147 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 9:38 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 8th Jul 2022 at 2:14 AM.
This is the only time I’ve wanted a lounge or something in the world because 1) the Art Deco theme will be wasted on a high school and 2) teens need something to sneak in to.

Edit 1: Further more, the pier area seems residential. A nightclub of sorts could have been fun, or a theater (lounge) to take advantage of the Art Deco theme.

Edit 2: I feel like the leaker of this stuff is Jovan of Sims Community. He’s been going on a tirade as of late against EA, and has been reporting the leaks fairly quickly, while also saying he’s not the one doing it.

Edit 3: I found another set of round walls: On top of the mansion downtown, the tower is made of round walls.

Scholar
#148 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 11:58 AM
hmm, the map, nothing special about it.
Instructor
#149 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 1:14 PM
Looks like a typical map from the game. Barely any lots and mostlikely a limited amount of things interact with in said map besides the lots. Things will be there that just "have the aesthetics" but that's it.
Smeg Head
#150 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 5:29 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 8th Jul 2022 at 5:57 PM.
Got your vamps, got your dog sims (aka werewolves), now even got your old American mining town focusing on a High School theme. Even got a cop career. Guess how many folks will be starting their own Twilight Saga sim stories in this town. You'd think Maxis have been building up to this all along.

Just as long as my Robert Pattinson character can wear his Batman outfit throughout the sim story, then I'm sold. As a constant reminder that it's true. That, one way or another, vamps really do turn into bats.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Page 6 of 47