Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2012 at 7:41 PM
Default Ghosts to community lot, problem or good?
My game experience isn't enough to confirm this. The story goes, Nightlife can move ghosts to community lot. The "problem" is they stop haunting and lose their ghost color - becoming all white or all transparent. I do know that ghosts on community lots are reluctant, not haunting as frequently as residential based ghosts.
I want other members to confirm from their game play. Is the "problem" true or false?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th May 2012 at 8:02 PM
I'm not sure if I have had that happen, but next time you want to move a grave, don't use the the grave-moving window interface, instead, place the urn/gravestone into the inventory of a sim and take it to a community lot with them, click on the ground and place it wherever you want it to be. However, this method is not useful if a sim dies alone, since you have to use the game's interface to move the grave.
Undead Molten Llama
#3 Old 20th May 2012 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TortureTheNannies
My game experience isn't enough to confirm this. The story goes, Nightlife can move ghosts to community lot. The "problem" is they stop haunting and lose their ghost color - becoming all white or all transparent. I do know that ghosts on community lots are reluctant, not haunting as frequently as residential based ghosts.
I want other members to confirm from their game play. Is the "problem" true or false?

I don't have this "problem." Here's what I do in my game:

I leave the urn/tombstone on its home lot until the ghost generates for the first time. (It's like three nights after the Sim dies or thereabouts.) Only after that do I move it to the community graveyard, either by using the game's interface, if I'm feeling lazy, or by summoning the neighborhood's undertaker, making him playable, and then sticking the urn/tombstone into his inventory. (I create an undertaker for every neighborhood but never really play him. He's a creepy-looking guy who "owns" the graveyard.) Since my graveyards are always owned, occasionally I play the undertaker enough to send him to the graveyard and then I artfully arrange any new graves in his inventory or that I moved there via the "Move this grave" interface. (Either way works just fine, at least in my game, BTW.) Since the graveyard is owned, the lot saves once I send the undertaker back to his "home lot." (Which is completely empty. It's just a "placeholder," really.)

Since the graveyard lot saves, I can send Sims (particularly Knowledge Sims with a want to see a ghost) to the lot and it looks all pretty and, so long as they arrive before the time when ghosts would normally "wake up," (which I think is 9PM; I always make sure mine get there by 7:30ish, since I'm not really sure), there are PLENTY for them to see. *laughs* And they haunt/scare just fine, according to their "personalities" (Although they're all a little more pissy because they don't have beds. Whatever, guys. ), and they seem to keep their colors and "death behaviour" just fine. *shrugs* The neat ones will even clean the lot's public toilets sometimes. Convenient! :D

Not sure if I have any hacks that this might affect. I don't THINK I do, but...*shrugs* Wait, I do have TwoJeff's (At least, I think it's TwoJeff's...) Ghost Hack to prevent the glitch where ghosts go back to the wrong grave in the AM, which screws things up, so maybe that helps. I don't really know. But in any case, that's what happens in my game.

I think that if you have a graveyard with no ghosts, it's because the graves weren't given time to generate them prior to being moved. If the graveyard is unowned, the lot doesn't save from visit to visit, so time doesn't really pass, so those three nights don't really pass and...yeah. I think the graveyard that comes with Nightlife's Downtown has "pre-seasoned" ghosts, though...

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th May 2012 at 10:17 PM
I think I've seen Moo mention the loosing their colour thing but I have no problem with sims haunting community lots - both owned and community-community (IYSWIM). The key is to give them time to come out once you arrive. They won't come out immediately. And obviously at night only. Also, I make sure my ghosts are haunting before I send them off to their final(ish) resting place. Cyjon posted recently on the mechanism for the time to start haunting - I thought three days but apparently it's a bit more complicated than that. Point is, that doesn't happen immediately and you need to remember that once you send them to a community lot, they are effectively in suspended animation.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#5 Old 21st May 2012 at 6:03 AM
I've never even seen a ghost at my 'hood's cemetery. >: And there's a bajillion tombstones there.

Also @ iCad
I thought it was a VBT to put tombstones/ urns in inventories?
Scholar
#6 Old 21st May 2012 at 6:12 AM
Ive actually seen ghosts on my hood cemetery many times before. It's actually quite cool!!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st May 2012 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
I've never even seen a ghost at my 'hood's cemetery. >: And there's a bajillion tombstones there.

Also @ iCad

It's safe to put urns in inventories as long as the sim stays alive. If the sim dies with that tombstone in their inventory, then it's just like deleting the urnstone, which is a VBT.

Putting one in the inventory just for the purposes of moving to another lot is OK and I believe is the only way to keep the 'type' of death in tact. I think death type is wiped when you use the lot selector and then all your ghosts end up white. I'm not sure though, since I usually do the inventory way to transfer.
Scholar
#8 Old 21st May 2012 at 6:29 AM
I've read somewhere that ghosts will appear more surely if there's a couple making out in the gravesite vicinity. Of course, every other prerequisite has to be met, especially the rule about waiting 3 days for the ghost's first appearance.
I tested this once in my old hood and it appeared to be true. Maybe someone else heard about this/tested this theory too?
Undead Molten Llama
#9 Old 21st May 2012 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
Also @ iCad

Like Alijah said, only if the Sim "carrying" it dies. Since my undertaker is basically an NPC created by me, he'll never die, doesn't age, etc. So, no worries. Except that he's one of those Sims who calls EVERYONE, even if they hardly know him. It gets a bit annoying sometimes, but I guess it's part of his charm. It's like he's calling to say, "Bring out your dead!"

I also think Alijah's right about this method preserving the ghosts' colors because most of my ghosts are transferred this way and they have their proper colors/behaviors on the graveyard lot. A few have been transferred via the "Move this grave" thing, though. If I can remember who they were, I'm gonna have a look-see at their color...

The making out thing. I've never heard that...but I'm gonna try it. *snicker*

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#10 Old 22nd May 2012 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
The making out thing. I've never heard that...but I'm gonna try it. *snicker*

It's been so looong ago - both when I read about it and tried it out in my game - but something tells me that the ghosts will be provoked with teen lovers especially.
Alchemist
#11 Old 23rd May 2012 at 5:22 AM
I encountered ghosts in my community graveyard the first time, and it's really cool! I thought all those ghost feature in community lots are fake, but now I know it's not. I haven't really checked if they lost their colors though. I want to scare off the visitors, and because I don't want to wait for them to show up, I use allmenus cheat, click the tombstone, and choose "Make Ghost" or something. It instantly makes the ghost appear.

@MMAA: I once tried to put the urns in my inventory and put it in the graveyard, but the next time I visit it, it's gone. Probably because community lots don't save its state after we leave it.
Scholar
#12 Old 23rd May 2012 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
@MMAA: I once tried to put the urns in my inventory and put it in the graveyard, but the next time I visit it, it's gone. Probably because community lots don't save its state after we leave it.

Don't ever do this with anyone other than the com lot owner. The com lot only saves if the lot owner goes there. So to do this in this particular manner you have to have OFB and an owned com lot and the owner needs to be the one to go there with the tombs in his/her inventory.
Alchemist
#13 Old 23rd May 2012 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsica
Don't ever do this with anyone other than the com lot owner. The com lot only saves if the lot owner goes there. So to do this in this particular manner you have to have OFB and an owned com lot and the owner needs to be the one to go there with the tombs in his/her inventory.

Luckily, that only happened long ago, and I never did that again ever since. I didn't see MMAA mentioning about ownable lot, so I was confused. I wouldn't want to waste my money purchasing a graveyard anyway.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd May 2012 at 4:27 PM
I've actually had ghosts appear the same night a Sim died and was shuffled off to a community lot cemetery.

And is it really true that ghosts are more likely to pop up when someone's getting romantic? Shades of slasher movies...teens getting romantic, and right after that they're taken out.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th May 2012 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
I've actually had ghosts appear the same night a Sim died and was shuffled off to a community lot cemetery.

Yes, as I mentioned upthread, Cyjon posted a month or so ago about what the actual mechanism is in the programme. It can take up to three days, I think was the jist, but you still have to wait for them to come out and it doesn't happen immediately though it can be within 24 hours.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#16 Old 25th May 2012 at 5:54 AM
This thing about waiting for a ghost to appear before shipping the tombs off to a com lot is actually quite a good thing. It allows for the simulation of the wake. The dearly departed ones remain on home lots until they've turned into ghosts, when they can be burried.
Inventor
#17 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 9:14 AM
Sorry for the big bump, but if I understood correctly: will the deceased Sim remain their cause-of-death ghost color if a Sim carries their urn in their Inventory and places it in a community lot? (I understood the importance of keeping the carrying Sim alive)
I want to create a graveyard in Veronaville
Theorist
#19 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 1:49 PM
Field Researcher
#20 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 5:33 PM
All ghosts are evil and hostile in this game, so I toss their grave to the cemetery ASAP.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 8:48 PM

What! So if a Sim takes the tombstone/urn to a community lot and leaves it there., it actually stays in the Sim's inventory, or his home lot? I usually use the "move all graves", but when I've had a Sim take it to a community graveyard, I seem to remember it being there when other Sims went there.???

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
All ghosts are evil and hostile in this game, so I toss their grave to the cemetery ASAP.

I've had a few that gardened, cleaned, played with pets. But..scaring you grandchildren...tsk.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Theorist
#23 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Don't ever do this with anyone other than the com lot owner.
What!

I haven't played cemeteries in a long time, but I think there should be a (functioning) pie menu option Place Grave Here if your Sim has a grave in their inventory. It's a pretty dumb function if it didn't count in community lots resetting. I could be wrong about the interaction showing up on community lots though...
Field Researcher
#24 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I've had a few that gardened, cleaned, played with pets. But..scaring you grandchildren...tsk.

Mine would just keep turning on the TV and terrifying their own children. After a few near death incidents, I'd had it.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
I haven't played cemeteries in a long time, but I think there should be a (functioning) pie menu option Place Grave Here if your Sim has a grave in their inventory. It's a pretty dumb function if it didn't count in community lots resetting. I could be wrong about the interaction showing up on community lots though...
You are right, there is an option to place the tombstone on a community lot and it will stay there after the sim leaves.
The player can then visit the cemetery in build mode to place the grave elsewhere on the lot and decorate around it, put flowers and such.
Page 1 of 2