Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 4:58 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Direct X error
Hi everyone!

I've been an avid fan of the sims 2 for nearly 18 years and was been playing the UC on origin up until super recently.

Unfortunately, I've been plagued with the DirectX 9.0c error and my game refusing to start. I am aware of various compatibility issues with windows 11 (which is what I have!).

I have tried the following:

-4GB Patch
- Use of Graphic Rules Maker
- Starting the game in windowed mode
- Manually installing direct x drivers

None of which have fixed my problem. I have a NIVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 graphics card.

From reading forums the issues are quite specific to your PC/graphic card spec but I can't make sense of them.

Would anyone be able to help?

Appreciate any pointers anyone can give! I know this question gets asked A LOT.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 10:39 PM
When did the DirectX issues start? Always been there with Origin, or started recently from a different reason?
Have you switched computer or changed anything (hardware, recently upgraded to W11, an update, switched to EA app, or any of the sort) before the problems started?

Since you were able to play up until very recently, that's why I'm asking - something must have happened that caused this, and the cause can sometimes be helpful in how to fix it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 11:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
When did the DirectX issues start? Always been there with Origin, or started recently from a different reason?
Have you switched computer or changed anything (hardware, recently upgraded to W11, an update, switched to EA app, or any of the sort) before the problems started?

Since you were able to play up until very recently, that's why I'm asking - something must have happened that caused this, and the cause can sometimes be helpful in how to fix it.

Hi! thanks for responding.

I updated to Windows 11 last year, the issues started mid last year I think? Same computer and graphics card/hardware The error would happen intermittently then happened every single time probably from the summer/autumn. I've been using UC on origin for just under 10 years. It is quite strange maybe I messed up the game with graphics fixes as it's always been buggy for me?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 4:00 PM
Which settings have you selected in Graphics Rules Maker, and is your game forced to run on the GTX card?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
Which settings have you selected in Graphics Rules Maker, and is your game forced to run on the GTX card?

Hi,

Thanks for responding!

they are as follows:

Force texture memory: 1024 mb - I set it to this as I read that the game can't handle above this?

Everything bar the "fix AMD radeon" setting have been checked/enabled.

Default and max resolution are both set to 800x600

I checked and I have manually updated for my NVIDIA card and tried to run but with no results. It seems that it keeps resetting to intel every time I adjust very odd! but I have tried to run the game with the updated settings.

Screenshot attached but it is a little blurry!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#6 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 10:40 PM
Do you want to play in 800x600...? Because if you want to play fullscreen or on a big screen you should set them to 1920x1080 (Or if your max resolution is smaller add that but you shouldnt go higher than that) Also you can set at Texture Memory what you have... I have mine at around 2GB too with no issue.. you dont need to check disable sim shadows cause there is a mod to fix the shadows: https://modthesims.info/d/569585/si...d-2-jan-16.html

I can't say anything to rest
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 1:19 PM
Try checking only the first two boxes in GRM. Texture memory should be set to no more than what your GPU has for dedicated memory. You would need to run a dxDiag to find that.