Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Plants Stay After Harvest (and Disposal)

by mike_1102 Posted 28th Apr 2007 at 5:33 PM - Updated 28th Sep 2008 at 7:40 PM by mike_1102

26 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 24 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
#2 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 6:05 PM
The gif works if you click on it. I dont understand exactly what this mod does though.

Am I to understand that using this mod means that you only have to plant one seed, nurture it until it fruits, harvest it and then begin to nurture the same plant til it fruits again, rather than re-composting the soil and planting another seed?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimplicityFlower
The gif works if you click on it. I dont understand exactly what this mod does though.

Am I to understand that using this mod means that you only have to plant one seed, nurture it until it fruits, harvest it and then begin to nurture the same plant til it fruits again, rather than re-composting the soil and planting another seed?

That's right. Your sim only needs to fertilize and plant once. After your sim harvests a plant, the plant does not disappear and the soil does not become unfertilized. Instead, the plant returns to its first stage and also gets the quality boost from the fertilized soil.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 10:08 PM
This is pretty clever and how it works in real life (minus the disposal and it still be there option ;P )! I was wondering what EA Maxis was thinking when they decided that harvesting meant complete removal of the plant. Thanks for this.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 10:20 PM Last edited by daysies : 28th Apr 2007 at 11:52 PM.
oh fabulous! i can't wait to try this out!!!

[update] works perfectly! thanks for making this!

[update #2] i tested the harvest&dispose version, and then i went to "compost" the plants. the cucumber wood pole remained. i was wondering if you could actually allow the "compost" function to work as it should. that would make it a a tad less "cheaty" and a tad more realistic. :D

DDO
Field Researcher
#6 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 10:30 PM
Thanks for this, it will come in handy. It will be so nice not to have to plant seeds all the time.

Shawnee
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 11:22 PM
Gaaaaah!! I've been waiting for that since seasons first came out! Your gardening hacks are awesome and I will enjoy gardening even more than I already do. Thank you.
Inventor
#8 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 12:13 AM
Perfect, excactly what I wished for. Much appreciated.

*♥.¸Here we go again .♥*
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 12:26 AM
PERFECT!

Thank you so much !!! I knew this could be done and I am very happy you took my suggestion into consideration! I appreciate it so much and thank you for sharing this with our gardening community here =)

As for your gif - it does work if you click on it. I think it is because it is in the screenshots section. Try embedding it in your post using whatever the img tag is from the mts2 server and see if it works then. ^_^
Theorist
#10 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 3:35 AM
thanks a lot
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st May 2007 at 4:21 AM Last edited by NeitherSparky : 1st May 2007 at 4:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by mike_1102
That's right. Your sim only needs to fertilize and plant once. After your sim harvests a plant, the plant does not disappear and the soil does not become unfertilized. Instead, the plant returns to its first stage and also gets the quality boost from the fertilized soil.

*raises hand*

What do you mean by the plant returning to its "first stage"? You mean as a tiny sprout? It doesn't stay full-grown? Thanks.

edit: I clicked on the picture and watched the animation so I take it that yes it returns to a small sprout. My bad for not doing that before.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st May 2007 at 2:38 PM
Yet another great mod for us gardeners! Yay! And I, for one, will not feel the least bit guilty paying normal price for a plant that lets me harvest it more than once. I mean, if we're trying to make things 'more real', since when does *one* cucumber seed cost $8? You can get a whole pack for like, a dollar. Come on... :D
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st May 2007 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NeitherSparky
*raises hand*

What do you mean by the plant returning to its "first stage"? You mean as a tiny sprout? It doesn't stay full-grown? Thanks.

Yes, it goes back to the first stage. With the cucumber, pepper and pole bean plants, once you plant the seed, you see a stick with no other growth on it. That's the first stage.

DDO
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st May 2007 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
oh fabulous! i can't wait to try this out!!!

[update] works perfectly! thanks for making this!

[update #2] i tested the harvest&dispose version, and then i went to "compost" the plants. the cucumber wood pole remained. i was wondering if you could actually allow the "compost" function to work as it should. that would make it a a tad less "cheaty" and a tad more realistic. :D

well, the "compost" interaction and "dispose" interaction actually share the same BHAV routine. did you try the other version, which makes the plants disappear when you dispose or compost them? yes, it's possible to seperate "compost" and "dispose", but i thought if you didn't want plants to go away when you dispose them, you probably wouldn't want them to disappear when they were composted either.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#15 Old 1st May 2007 at 9:25 PM Last edited by daysies : 1st May 2007 at 9:38 PM.
well, the "compost" interaction and "dispose" interaction actually share the same BHAV routine. did you try the other version, which makes the plants disappear when you dispose or compost them? yes, it's possible to seperate "compost" and "dispose", but i thought if you didn't want plants to go away when you dispose them, you probably wouldn't want them to disappear when they were composted either.

Oh, I didn't know that's what the other version did. Sorry, I didn't think of trying that! I'll try the other one out and reply back. That would definitely save some clicks for me.

[update] DOH! I can't test this one unless I remove TwoJeffs' perfect gardens hack. The "dispose" option never comes up with that hack in place. *smacks herself* When I "compost" it, the plant remains (first stage), which is just like the "NoReplantAfterHarvest&Dispose" version. Maybe you could make another version so that when you "compost" you have to replant?

DDO
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st May 2007 at 11:10 PM
Oh, I didn't know that's what the other version did. Sorry, I didn't think of trying that! I'll try the other one out and reply back. That would definitely save some clicks for me.

[update] DOH! I can't test this one unless I remove TwoJeffs' perfect gardens hack. The "dispose" option never comes up with that hack in place. *smacks herself* When I "compost" it, the plant remains (first stage), which is just like the "NoReplantAfterHarvest&Dispose" version. Maybe you could make another version so that when you "compost" you have to replant?

oh, looks like there's a conflict between the second version and the other mod you're using. well, unfortunately, to make the compost option work normally, i'd have to change the dispose/compost routine which is obviously also modified or at least included in his mod, which is why there's a conflict. you can ask TwoJeffs if he actually modified the "Inter - Dispose - Anim & Logic" tree. if not, then you can safely remove it from his mod using SimPE and use my second version. otherwise, i'm afraid you'll have to settle for the first one and use moveobjects on to manually remove the plant after you compost it. basicly, you can't have two mods that both try to change the same BHAV procedure, so right now, there's really nothing i can do.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#17 Old 2nd May 2007 at 2:31 PM
oh, looks like there's a conflict between the second version and the other mod you're using. well, unfortunately, to make the compost option work normally, i'd have to change the dispose/compost routine which is obviously also modified or at least included in his mod, which is why there's a conflict. you can ask TwoJeffs if he actually modified the "Inter - Dispose - Anim & Logic" tree. if not, then you can safely remove it from his mod using SimPE and use my second version. otherwise, i'm afraid you'll have to settle for the first one and use moveobjects on to manually remove the plant after you compost it. basicly, you can't have two mods that both try to change the same BHAV procedure, so right now, there's really nothing i can do.

Thanks for the explanation, Mike! It's very strange, though, because HCDU didn't catch any conflict and I always scan my hacks after I put in something new. But I guess there was a lot of modifications that HCDU didn't think it was a conflict.

I think I'm going to keep the two and just rearrange my gardens, which is to delete the plants I don't want, and replant the ones I do, so I have a little bit of everything. I've already started doing that while I was waiting for your response. Thanks again for looking into it!

On second thought, for kicks, I'll ask TwoJeffs to look into it for me, too.

DDO
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 3rd May 2007 at 12:41 AM
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#19 Old 3rd May 2007 at 3:42 PM
Mike, I want to apologize to you! When I edited post #15, I forgot I had switched to your "noreplantafterharvest&dispose." It has been working as intended. Now I switched it back to "noreplantafterharvest" and it works as intended. I can compost and replant. This is the one I'm going to be using with TwoJeffs' perfect plants mod. I swear I thought I wasn't testing the dispose one, but that just teaches me to check and make sure I'm playing with the correct Downloads folder (I have 3 of them). *embarrassed*

Now all I need is a "harvest all" hack, where you click on one plant or tree, select "harvest all" and it'll check the entire lot for harvestable plants or trees. *hint*hint*

DDO
Test Subject
#20 Old 7th May 2007 at 8:02 AM
Default Harvest Hack
Mike, I want to apologize to you! When I edited post #15, I forgot I had switched to your "noreplantafterharvest&dispose." It has been working as intended. Now I switched it back to "noreplantafterharvest" and it works as intended. I can compost and replant. This is the one I'm going to be using with TwoJeffs' perfect plants mod. I swear I thought I wasn't testing the dispose one, but that just teaches me to check and make sure I'm playing with the correct Downloads folder (I have 3 of them). *embarrassed*

Now all I need is a "harvest all" hack, where you click on one plant or tree, select "harvest all" and it'll check the entire lot for harvestable plants or trees. *hint*hint*

Carrigon at simlogical. has a harvest hack.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 7th Jul 2007 at 10:07 PM
This is awesome!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 4:42 AM
Wow! I just came across this mod and can't wait to use it. Maybe now I can make my gardens bigger! Thanks!!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 4:25 AM
Thank you SO much!

This'll make gardening a lot more realistic...and save a lot of simoleans in the process!

Live. Laugh. Love. Sim.
Test Subject
#24 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 1:25 AM
I think the plant should go back to "adult" when harvested.
Test Subject
#25 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 2:51 AM
THANK YOU!!!! I have a lot with a massive garden and it took DAYS to plant all the seeds!

RSS ROOLZ!!!!!!www.youtube.com/jakepolo1
Page 1 of 2