Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
Default HELP!!! my video card is not compatible with the sims 4 :(
After a week of waiting for my game to arrive it finally did but when ever i try to start the game it comes up with this message:

unable to start:
can't run with the video card in this system.please check
that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the
latest drivers are installed.

(0e6d1221:idf4e8dc:00000000)

I just i have two questions

1. what does it mean by check that the latest drivers are installed?

2. have you got this message when trying to launch the game?

3. what did you do about it?

i don't understand why this is happening the sims 3 just about worked on my computer and EA said the sims 4 should work better on lower end computer.

at the moment i'm just confused on why this is happening, i'm not much of a tech person so i don't know what to do.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:31 PM
Here, while you're waiting for someone technical to get back to you, you can start on this (installing drivers):

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001192.htm

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:33 PM
The specs of your computer would help in trying to find a solution for the issue.

Hi! I'm a pepper and I was wondering if you'd like to be a pepper too.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:50 PM
Default Thanks
Quote: Originally posted by BaronessTrash
The specs of your computer would help in trying to find a solution for the issue.

please could you recommened any video cards for the sims 4
if i do have to change the card
also how do i check the specs on my computer
Stupid people are stupid
#5 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:56 PM
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AngelFrouk
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Graphics_Cards

There you go.

Thankyou so much
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
please could you recommened any video cards for the sims 4

I am not rich, so I shop for video cards by this performance per dollar list: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html Has served me well over several years, imo.

Indeed, I am using currently using a Radeon HD 6970 as indicated. Of course, I have no clue if your computer meets it's specs, however. It takes some research. In fact, I had to get a new 750W power supply despite the card only requires a 550W and yet I had had a 680W. Dunno what that was *shrug*.

Just saying what I would do. Good luck.
Stupid people are stupid
#8 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 7:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by McCrea
It takes some research. In fact, I had to get a new 750W power supply despite the card only requires a 550W and yet I had had a 680W. Dunno what that was *shrug*.

It's not only the GPU that requires power. Everything else will need power too. http://www.wisegeek.org/how-much-el...omputer-use.htm This might be helpful. If your card needs 550W, I can tell you that a 680W power supply isn't enough.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 4:21 PM
I am not rich, so I shop for video cards by this performance per dollar list: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html Has served me well over several years, imo.

Indeed, I am using currently using a Radeon HD 6970 as indicated. Of course, I have no clue if your computer meets it's specs, however. It takes some research. In fact, I had to get a new 750W power supply despite the card only requires a 550W and yet I had had a 680W. Dunno what that was *shrug*.

Just saying what I would do. Good luck.

thanks
it may take me a while to sort out the video card
but it would be a nightmare if i had to get a new computer just to play the sims 4
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AngelFrouk
It's not only the GPU that requires power. Everything else will need power too. http://www.wisegeek.org/how-much-el...omputer-use.htm This might be helpful. If your card needs 550W, I can tell you that a 680W power supply isn't enough.

Well the given requirement is said to be a "system requirement", not a "card requirement", suggesting to me that they have already factored in other system components, albeit in a range of "typical" systems. Precisely stating "system Requirement: 550 Watt Power Supply is required," they really make it sound quite unequivocal

In turn, manufacture support did not suggest to me that the power supply was an issue when I contacted them. They said to return the card, but I was rather able to get this PSU for $30, tried it and it worked.

Thank you, nonetheless. I'll keep an eye on the sneaky bastards in the future
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 5:44 PM

you just made my day
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 5:54 PM
Well the given requirement is said to be a "system requirement", not a "card requirement", suggesting to me that they have already factored in other system components, albeit in a range of "typical" systems. Precisely stating "system Requirement: 550 Watt Power Supply is required," they really make it sound quite unequivocal

In turn, manufacture support did not suggest to me that the power supply was an issue when I contacted them. They said to return the card, but I was rather able to get this PSU for $30, tried it and it worked.

i'm guessing you are from america because you have used the dollar sign

in the uk power works differently here i think, so i might not have the problems with the power supply here i don't know as i have said i'm not a tech person
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 2:14 AM
Watt as a unit of measurement is universal. If it says the card needs 550W then it needs 550W everywhere. As already mentioned, the whole thing needs power, so your power supply should supply more than what the Graphics card needs.

Different countries have different voltage but that is not normally an issue if you buy in-country.

You could start with the chart for the graphics card requirements for TS3 here. That helped me a lot in figuring out what a good and what a not so good card is. You might be able to locate the ones for the TS# system requirements. This might help with the shopping and the googling.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...em_Requirements
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Watt as a unit of measurement is universal. If it says the card needs 550W then it needs 550W everywhere. As already mentioned, the whole thing needs power, so your power supply should supply more than what the Graphics card needs.

Different countries have different voltage but that is not normally an issue if you buy in-country.

You could start with the chart for the graphics card requirements for TS3 here. That helped me a lot in figuring out what a good and what a not so good card is. You might be able to locate the ones for the TS# system requirements. This might help with the shopping and the googling.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...em_Requirements

i've looked at the list a my graphics card isn't on the list even though it worked with TS3

My current Graphic card is Intel(R)82945G Express Chipset Family
Scholar
#15 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 8:04 PM
coolsim22 if your graphics is Intel(R)82945G Express Chipset Family then it's not powerful enough to play The Sims 4.

The three top companies making graphics for desktop/laptops are Intel, AMD and Nvidia. Intel also makes almost all the desktop and laptop processors found in homes today.

Intel makes low-powered graphics that they either integrate directly into the motherboard or the processor. While Intel's Graphic Processing Units (GPUs) aren't powerful enough to play demanding games, they are power-friendly and sufficiently powerful to play HD video and perform day to day tasks. That's why you'll find them in low cost desktops/laptops.

Nvidia and AMD are rival companies that make high end cards for gaming or professional use. If you plan on playing The Sims 4 you'll need to buy a gaming grade graphics card from Nvidia or AMD and put it into your desktop. If you're using a laptop you cannot add a new graphics card, you're stuck with what have.

To help you pick a card, go to the TS3 system requirements page: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...em_Requirements

Ideally you should pick a card that is green across the board. From AMD you should get the Radeon R9 270 or better, or from Nvidia you should get GeForce GTX 750 Ti or better.

After you've chosen your graphics card you should come back here and we can help you pick out a new power supply unit, since the one you currently have is unlikely to be able to provide enough power to your new card.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
coolsim22 if your graphics is Intel(R)82945G Express Chipset Family then it's not powerful enough to play The Sims 4.

The three top companies making graphics for desktop/laptops are Intel, AMD and Nvidia. Intel also makes almost all the desktop and laptop processors found in homes today.

Intel makes low-powered graphics that they either integrate directly into the motherboard or the processor. While Intel's Graphic Processing Units (GPUs) aren't powerful enough to play demanding games, they are power-friendly and sufficiently powerful to play HD video and perform day to day tasks. That's why you'll find them in low cost desktops/laptops.

Nvidia and AMD are rival companies that make high end cards for gaming or professional use. If you plan on playing The Sims 4 you'll need to buy a gaming grade graphics card from Nvidia or AMD and put it into your desktop. If you're using a laptop you cannot add a new graphics card, you're stuck with what have.

To help you pick a card, go to the TS3 system requirements page: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...em_Requirements

Ideally you should pick a card that is green across the board. From AMD you should get the Radeon R9 270 or better, or from Nvidia you should get GeForce GTX 750 Ti or better.

After you've chosen your graphics card you should come back here and we can help you pick out a new power supply unit, since the one you currently have is unlikely to be able to provide enough power to your new card.

if the graphics card is integrated directly into the motherboard does that mean i won't be able to change the video card?
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 8:44 PM
That's right. But if you run a desktop, you can add a card. With a laptop, I don't think so.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
That's right. But if you run a desktop, you can add a card. With a laptop, I don't think so.

i do have a desktop but i don't have a laptop
also i have no idea whether my graphics card is integrated directly into the motherboard but i have feeling it is

do you know a way to check whether a graphics card is integrated directly into the motherboard?
Test Subject
#19 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 9:31 PM
That Intel chipset is most likely integrated. Just check the back of the computer - if you have an actual video card your monitor should be plugged into one of the horizontal slots between the power supply and the motherboard ports. If you have an integrated card the monitor will be plugged in down in the vertical section near the bottom, where the USB, network & SATA ports are.

Whether or not you can add a video card depends on the model of computer. Most desktops these days do have the required slot, but some don't. You could check the manufacturer specs to see if your model supports a separate card.

If you're looking for a good reasonably priced low-power consumption card try the ATI 7850; that's what I'm running & I get great performance in pretty much everything I run with it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nightspore
That Intel chipset is most likely integrated. Just check the back of the computer - if you have an actual video card your monitor should be plugged into one of the horizontal slots between the power supply and the motherboard ports. If you have an integrated card the monitor will be plugged in down in the vertical section near the bottom, where the USB, network & SATA ports are.

If you're looking for a good reasonably priced low-power consumption card try the ATI 7850; that's what I'm running & I get great performance in pretty much everything I run with it.

i just checked dxdiag and it says the video card is integrated
but i don't won't to return the game to the shop
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 1:55 AM
One of my computers has an integrated card and the game runs fine on it. I wonder if updating the drivers would help after all? (post #2).

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#22 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 4:53 AM
@coolsim22

If you are using a desktop, and you have an Intel GPU integrated into the motherboard, you won't be able to remove it. However, depending on the motherboard, you may still be able to buy a new separate dedicated card and install it and allow it override the Intel card. This would mean you would have both in your computer, but the Intel would just do nothing. You be using only the new card.

Whether or not this is possible depends entirely on which motherboard you have and should be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 4:44 PM
ok i have talked to my dad about it and he said that he is going to talk to an IT man at his work because he could get me a good graphics card for a cheaper price
Scholar
#24 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:24 PM
Before you do that, can you post the rest of your system specs?