Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 5:46 AM Last edited by Alpal425 : 3rd Mar 2015 at 4:03 PM.
Default The Banned Binnies
It was a warm, sunny day in Simland and almost every Sim (except for some vampires) were out enjoying the nice weather and happily playing together. The Sim Queen watched her Simmies play happily in the nice weather, but she was not amused like she was normally when she watched her subjects. She saw one of her uglier Sims, one she did not make herself, attempting to flirt with her newly-created, beautiful Sim she had already reserved for a relationship in the future! She would not let this happen, now or ever again! The Sim Queen called for all of her subjects to come to town square for a meeting. They all came, curiously looking at their frustrated Queen.

"What is wrong, Your Highness?" one Sim asked. "What is wrong?! Why, nothing is wrong, my dear! Your name is Mark, correct?" she asked. The Sim nodded. "Why Mark, I have decided to put out a new law!" "Which is?" Mark asked worriedly. "All Sims will be divided into three groups!" she announced. "Create-A-Sims, Townies and Family Bin Sims! Townies and Create-A-Sims may stay together and frolic in the meadows or whatever it is you do for fun, and continue their happy Simmy life, while Family Bin Sims, which I am shortening to "Binnies", will be banished to an island! They may live out their lives with their future and current children there, but not them or their descendants may ever enter Simland again!" Some Sims started crying, while others just complained about routing issues, due to so many Sims standing in the crowd and in the way of the nearby grill, they were really craving some hotdogs.

The Queen grabbed all of her Binnies, and flew away, over the hill-tops for miles, until she reached the island she had ready for her Sims. She let them loose, and created houses for them to live in. "Now don't cry, my little Binnies," she scolded. "You may all live here together, and do whatever you please like making nooboos, peeing, eating and dying, besides leaving the island. Move into any of the houses I have built you, or make a property line and do a legacy challenge! I hear those are quite fun," she winked at them. "I will watch you in the sky, and I will help you just like I used to. Now, have fun!" she laughed happily.

Hey. I hope you liked the back-story. I recommend setting that as the description of the 'hood and change it if you are a male (lol), but you don't have to. Anyways.. I hope you understand the goal and stuff, but if not, here ya'll go...

Goal
There is no real, true goal. There are many mini goals though. Pretty much, you make a brand-new world, island is preferred, and dump every bin family (pet households are optional) you have into the world. Try and make the population grow and thrive, and build a town, etc. This is a secluded type of challenge, so great if you ever need a break from cities.

Requirements
Sims 2 Base Game, but the Open for Business Expansion Pack is highly recommended for more options for this challenge and points available.

Mini Goals
- Must get to generation 10
- Must have a legacy household (help with rule changes below)
- (OPTIONAL) Make a relationship triangle (not a love triangle, I mean like make each family know all of the other families, whether it be just acquaintances, friends or maybe enemies)
- Must have at least 2 OfB businesses (only OfB players)
- Must have some town trouble makers (Sims like Dina and Nina) that are descendants

If you have any more mini goals, please give them to me and I'd be more than happy to post them.

Rules
- No cheats (especially familyfunds) except for building cheats
- No marrying or moving in any walk-bys or NPCs
- No using any services, unless it's groceries (this also means nannies and babysitters, plus the matchmaker aren't allowed OR adoptions)
- No CAS Sims, ALL must be Sims from the Family Bin and ALL Family Bin Sims must be used, the only exception are households that are only pets, these are optional
- CC is allowed
- No college

- More rules get added or changed as needed...

Legacy Challenge Help
simsfreq brought it to my attention that I wasn't clear on this is meant to be played, as it changes several of the original legacy challenge's rules (Thank you, simsfreq!!). So I am going to help you!
-The founder of the legacy is your choice of any of the binnies that are a teenager. Once they age up to adult, kick 'em out of the house and onto a legacy lot.
- Because you cannot move in or marry NPCS and townies, you must use playables. But, there is a quirk - if the desired Sim is rich (will bring $30,000 or more), you cannot move them in unless a) the founder has over $50,000 of their own cash in household funds (not including the house) or b) you lower the amount the Sim has brought to the family down to $10,000 simoleons.
- Not every family has to be a legacy family, but you must have at least one legacy family. Though, it would be fun to make every single one a legacy family (and hard). So if you want to try making every household a legacy family, I'd love to hear it.

Tips and Fun Stuff
- Try making the island look either like a jungle or a secluded area for some extra fun! Also try using items that look Sim-crafted, since they were left in the middle of no-where.
- Make sure to check out post #4 because it has a bunch of info that can help you with townies and such.
- You are probably going to need an inter-marry mod, as eventually, you are going to run into some problems...
- No other Tips/Fun Stuff yet. Recommend some? I'd really like some input!

Points (*new* means the descendants of the original bin family, *old* means the original bin family)
+2 for each level 10 OfB business
+1 for each *new* generation (every family must have their first *new* child in order to obtain this point )
+1 for each *new* marriage
+1 for each *new* child
+.5 for each A+ student
+.5 for each garden (because gardens are kind of required since you have to find food)

-1 for each makeover (sorry I have to deduct points for this, but the reason the Sim ruler put the Sims in this banished land is because they are ugly )
-1 for each *old* divorce
-.5 for each *new* divorce
-.5 for each D or below student

I know not all of the bin Sims are ugly, but I needed a reason to throw them into a land together for their back-story. Please do share your stories for this challenge and comments and pictures are very welcome! I really appreciate you taking the time to read this!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 10:37 PM
How can you do a legacy if you aren't allowed to move in NPCs or townies??

"All mods except for ones that completely change the way the game works" - is extremely subjective. Can you explain a bit more?? Like, inteen is usually classed as an "unofficial EP". ACR changes the way romance and fertility works quite a bit. Alternate ageing mods are popular. There are plenty of mods which make gameplay harder, such as no20khandouts, noelderinheritance, nuhumble, etc. ? I'd be tempted to say no cheaty type mods or just be fast and loose and let players decide.

Also, won't you run out of genetics within about three generations if the sims aren't allowed to marry in townies? I have some ideas for this:

I would say add the notownierespawn and antiredundancy mods, and create the hood without Pleasantview, to make it harder and remove the need for that restriction entirely. You won't get any townies at all. The only extra genetics are a small number of unavoidable NPCs - mail carrier, newspaper teen, some way to get food (three options)
1. Allow grown and caught food only. You didn't grow your crops? Too bad, you starve. Or you could allow selling and rebuying a fridge, or the mod which allows the fridge to refill at midnight.
2. Allow grocery deliveries but not grocery stores. This will generate a delivery person NPC. This same NPC delivers sim written novels, so they are allowed, but takeaway food is a separate driver, so no.
3. Allow any number of community lot stores, but each may only contain one cash register, in order to spawn only ONE cashier (with antiredundancy). The same cashier will work in all of the stores. They have a time machine or something. Disallow writing novels if Freetime is installed. Do not allow groceries to be delivered.
- Police officer, firefighter, burglar. (Burglar cannot be avoided. You could say no emergency calls, no fire alarms and no burglar alarms or car alarms, if you want to avoid the emergency NPCs, but it does seem quite harsh.)

Instead of restricting the types of community lots, just say you can't place any item which spawns an NPC, which is (off the top of my head): The cash register (unless unlocked by food option 3), coffee bar, normal bar, DJ booth, makeover chair, restaurant stove and podium, UNI stove if you have the mod which allows it to spawn a cook on any lot. Probably a few more but I forget. And the BV ones - massage table? (I don't have BV.)

Other EP related NPCs: With freetime you get hobby NPCs, so consider banning sims from visiting hobby lots (although, it might be cute to allow them, since they are so MAXIS. And they do have to go to some effort to get there, so for the sake of genetics? Maybe allow them!)
Nightlife only adds vampires, slobs and divas if you add a downtown. So don't.
Apartment life - don't add any apartment buildings, and you won't get a landlord. I am not sure what spawns the annoying social townies, but try the mod which makes non-occupied apartments stay empty to avoid them. Maybe do some playtesting. There are 50 of them, so avoid them spawning if possible. Avoid witches by banning witches. You will have to do it manually on every community lot with the visitor controller, but it prevents them from spawning.
I'm sure I have some mod to prevent garden club lady from showing up, since I never see her.

Bear in mind that even if you never summon certain NPCs, the game will still create them. So they might turn up as a hirable or customer at a business or something. In my experience of playing a no-townie, limited NPC hood, NPCs will not show up as walkbys or visitors on normal community lots until they are made playable, but they can be customers of an owned business.

But, I think this kind of playstyle (no townies at all, only limited NPCs and playables) is quite fun and really creates a feeling of a closed neighbourhood.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 2:41 AM
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

@PlatinumPlumbbob

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it! Yea, I thought since the whole school thing would take off points fairly easy, you needed some easy points too.

@simsfreq
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 2:35 PM
You know you can banish them from future neighbourhoods entirely by installing empty templates, right?

I agree with your idea that it would be weird to have a nightclub in the middle of the LOST island or whatever, but I just feel like it doesn't add a lot. When you're writing a challenge, each rule needs to have a goal behind it rather than being random. So what's the goal for this rule? If it's to increase immersion in the challenge, it's both too vague and too specific. (Sorry confusing!) - too vague because, what is a nightclub? Why is a nightclub banned? In the first generation, OK, but what about 3 generations in? What if you decide that everyone is a raver? Why can't they have a community lot just for dance parties? lol. Too specific also, because if you feel it's out of place, isn't an airport out of place? Or a hospital? Or a beauty salon? Etc etc. So, if the goal is immersion, I would scrap it. The backstory is great immersion, and how closely any player follows the idea and gets immersed in a challenge is up to them. The asylum challenge, for example. Some people create creepy old mansions and others make a neon paradise. It's fun to see how different people interpret the feel. OK, so if the goal is reducing the number of NPCs which spawn, ban items which spawn NPCs, rather than the lot. You'll have a hard time building a believable nightclub without a bar or DJ booth, anyway, so the item restriction takes care of the lot restriction. Do you see?

If I can be pedantic, I'd say "You must play legacy style" rather than "You must have a legacy". In actual fact I misunderstood this when I first read it, because a legacy usually starts with a single sim, so I had assumed that what you meant was that one of the single sims or a newly adult teen-or-younger from one of the families had to start a legacy. Then I was confused at the lack of NPCs! I'm not sure how it would work if you are trying to play every family legacy style, because I think it will lead to too many intermarriages to allow the population to sustain long term. It's definitely interesting, though. I like this challenge a lot. I am very tempted to try it

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 3:40 PM
@simsfeq
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 4:24 PM
The problem with intermarrying is that it can corrupt family trees. Cousins and step siblings are OK I think. Anything closer, nope. But that could be part of the challenge, of course

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
The problem with intermarrying is that it can corrupt family trees. Cousins and step siblings are OK I think. Anything closer, nope. But that could be part of the challenge, of course

True. I wonder how long this challenge could last without family tree corrupting?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 2:21 AM
This challenge is sort of like the Midnight Sun Challenge from TS3, except with a bunch more Sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 2:59 AM
Why not just have one legacy, but only use binnies and their offspring. None of them are related to each other and if you have all EP's and no empty templates you will have a lot of bin sims. You could even age down the old binnies-the Goodies and use them too. They make cute kids.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Why not just have one legacy, but only use binnies and their offspring. None of them are related to each other and if you have all EP's and no empty templates you will have a lot of bin sims. You could even age down the old binnies-the Goodies and use them too. They make cute kids.

It's truly up to the player.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 5:14 PM
What happened to the formatting on this thread? :?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
What happened to the formatting on this thread? :?

What do you mean by that?