Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 10:55 PM
Now is it just me, or does that bed look like a mashup of the two from City Living?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#102 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 10:57 PM
You are absolutely correct! And it’s funny how we get a pack about lofts and can’t build actual lofts in the game.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#103 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 4:10 AM
I actually like some of those items.
Field Researcher
#104 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 3:25 PM
Me too, the rounded window looks useful, the door is pretty, and the visible wall pipes etc will be perfect for factory buildings, I like the ruff, rundown look.
Mad Poster
#105 Old 25th Aug 2021 at 5:03 PM
Looks pretty boring, and like what others are saying, it already seems like most of the items exist in one form or another. Probably the most useful item in the pack will the be the round wall ducts.

I have to say though that the pipes with the giant cog looks like a child's toy.
Field Researcher
#106 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 6:59 PM
I can't believe how much they recycled from the base game. So uninspiring.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#107 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 12:01 AM
4 more kits are coming. 3 culture CAS kits and 1 modern build kit.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#108 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 6:35 PM
I can read it without issue. It’s definitely American English.

My “interpretation” of the text is the writer referencing multiple versions of yourself (hence the wheel of one single sim). You is one you. Yous is multiple of you. In context, our Sims or (Sim-Selves). It could even mean multiple versions of ourselves to explore various styles (hence three kits being dropped at once).

Edit:
And as I finished writing this, the announces two kits for #SeasonOfSelves

Fashion Street Kit & Incheon Arrivals Kit. The art isn’t even a render of actual Sims.

Instructor
#109 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
WTF is this supposed to mean? Proof reading their own advertising is too hard and expensive now too? Yous?

I've been working on putting more space between myself and most things involving sims. I'm getting the vibe that I need to A) try harder B) need more space

https://twitter.com/JamesTurnerYT/s...138898592567303

EDIT: After digging some more, apparently there are people from outside of the US that use 'yous' as a way to describe more than one person. Or Maxis thinks they're being funny using a word that doesn't exist to describe a sim self. Eh, okay, but that doesn't change that it creeps me out when people refer to sims like they're people. They also forgot the word kit which is ironic since that is what they're supposed to be selling. Perhaps trying to be clever should be shoved back into the closet until they find somebody that can pull it off.

If I spend time talking to my plants, non-plant people would say I was cray, but at least they're doing something useful; converting carbon dioxide to oxygen. Declaring sims as BFFs and that other stuff... yeah, no.

"Yous" might have originated in Ireland as youse is still used in Derry there. Lots of Irish in the USA. I've heard it in the UK too.

I like the idea of Cultural kits as they'll be a personal choice for those who live in those countries only possibly and don't put us through another Komorebi type world at greater expense. They'll also be easier to filter for in CAS selections if you have them.
Mad Poster
#110 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc

I like the idea of Cultural kits as they'll be a personal choice for those who live in those countries ...

I will pass on them as once in the game they will show up everywhere I am sure and I do not want that. I know there are tourists, but I don't want them all over the place.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#111 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 1:44 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 22nd Sep 2021 at 1:39 PM.
In the context of “selves,” “yous” (used as multiples of you) is fine as a creative writing choice.

Similar to old English writing and using “o’er” as “Over” when you need one syllable.

Mad Poster
#112 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I can read it without issue. It’s definitely American English.

My “interpretation” of the text is the writer referencing multiple versions of yourself (hence the wheel of one single sim). You is one you. Yous is multiple of you. In context, our Sims or (Sim-Selves). It could even mean multiple versions of ourselves to explore various styles (hence three kits being dropped at once).

The thing that threw me off was the use of 'new' as a noun. Guess they wanted something to rhyme more than it would make sense?

"Explore any of our new for any of your yous..."
vs
"Explore any of our new kits for any of your yous..."
Top Secret Researcher
#113 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 7:35 PM
"Yous" makes me think of the girl from Chicago at my summer camp who referred to people as "yous guys." (Very odd to these southern ears, but she probably had to get used to "y'all.")
Field Researcher
#114 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 1:10 PM
The new kit packs are just pathetic. I'd rather tip 5$ custom creators who will make much more diverse and better quality content. (this is just personal opinion of course, everyone is entitled to spend their money where they want)

What bothers me are the ugly and flat kit covers. What was this stylistic choice? Are they preparing us for a more watered down and dumb version of the next gen sims?

Screenshots
Smeg Head
#115 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 2:55 PM
The artwork does seem to be edging towards a more Paralives look. What are they playing at?

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#116 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
The artwork does seem to be edging towards a more Paralives look. What are they playing at?

Perhaps they are getting ready to buy out Paralives?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#117 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Instructor
#118 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 6:31 PM
What if they "translated" or upgraded Sims 3 or 4 onto the Unreal Engine in some way? They've mentioned Unreal Engine experience in an advert for a job on Sims 4 recently. (Unless that's hiding a new game Sims upgrade).

Probably just a pipe dream as I don't really want to go through the whole Sims 4 type experience again and won't buy any Sims 5.
Mad Poster
#119 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 9:58 PM

Don't even speak that into existence. I got stressed out just thinking about it!

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
#120 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 10:47 AM
heh ea would do that like they did with maxis
Mad Poster
#121 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Don't even speak that into existence. I got stressed out just thinking about it!

We all know that if that happens, it's going to be rebranded as the Sims, and injected with microtransactions!
Instructor
#122 Old 25th Sep 2021 at 4:38 PM
EA has partnered rather than take over some small studios like these two. They did mention Glowmade in an article but I think that has partnered with Amazon https://www.glowmade.com/blog/2021/...ade-partnership

Zoink Games "Fe" and "Lost in Random" The second comes, or came out this September.

Hazelight "It takes two" I came across a SimGuru on Twitter who mentioned they were playing it.

The last three titles are available on the Origin site.
Instructor
#123 Old 25th Sep 2021 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I guess I'm missing something as there is nothing in the article posted that has anything to do with EA. The article posted is boasting about how great Amazon Games is. Ugh! Amazon is a whole other conversation in and of itself. I digress. Being partnered is not the same thing as purchasing. EA has been cramming Amazon ads in some of their games. This doesn't mean they are buying Amazon.

EA does have a program for small indie developers for those that are willing to deal with EA's BS. In a nutshell, the program allows small indie dev teams to use EA's computer systems, ect... to develop their game. Once the game is complete and published, that team or teams are allowed to keep all the profit they make. I don't know how long they are allowed to keep all profits or all the logistics of the program, but it has been around for a long time.

All of this is moot as the Paralives team is not part of that program.

Who knows what might happen in the future. Those developers started the same way.
dodgy builder
#124 Old 26th Sep 2021 at 1:17 AM

Is Paralives even that close to release? They probably haven't chosen artwork yet at all. Someone suggested it was a fashion type look. Perhaps it's the designers drawing.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#125 Old 26th Sep 2021 at 9:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Is Paralives even that close to release? They probably haven't chosen artwork yet at all. Someone suggested it was a fashion type look. Perhaps it's the designers drawing.

We do know the art style now, in general. It has a somewhat "drawn and coloured-in" look, so perhaps even less photographic than The Sims. But more grownup - "less goofy" as one of their devs put it. Things will be in proportion, we won't have giant dollhouses and mailboxes. It seems to be being developed bottom-up. So increasingly the terrain, the things, the people and their animations are settled, but as yet they've made no declarations about what it will be like to play, whether or what aims there will be for the player. I guess we're supposed to keep our folk alive and prosperous but we as yet know nothing about the AI or autonomy and I believe they may not have decided anything themselves. But they're actively listening to our views.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Page 5 of 18