Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2021 at 3:21 AM
Default Correct positioning for traffic lights
This is driving my nuts (I am a bit picky). Can someone from the USA, tell me where exactly traffic lights are placed on the road. I know this doesn't effect the game, but for my sanity please.
Thanking you in advance. Extra thanks if you could make a doodle showing it.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Dec 2021 at 5:38 AM Last edited by igazor : 14th Dec 2021 at 6:06 AM.
In theory, the national standard for both the US and Canada is the far side of the intersection on overhead masts with an optional repeater signal on the near side (off to the right, the passenger side), which might be on a pole rather than overhead. Variations exist for one-way streets and left turn-only lanes.

In practice, adherence to the standard varies by state and locality. More than once I've driven visitors around the city I used to live in that had very few overhead mast signals and they kept screaming at me, asking why I was stopping in the middle of the street for no reason. "We stop for red lights here" was kind of too snarky for them to handle when they didn't or wouldn't look around to see where the traffic signals even were. Thankfully, I don't drive anymore. The state, my would-be insurance company and passengers, and I are all much happier now. But that's probably more of an answer than you were looking for.

If you Google traffic light placement United States, under Images you can see some examples of what I mean by the overhead masts and near/far side placements.