Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2022 at 12:10 PM
Default University College Subhood help
Hi,
I am recently making a uberhood that combines everything and everyone in it. But I've made a mistake that might corrupt it and i really don't want to restart from the beginning and have to rename all these people again ?

So what ive done is ive used Jawusa's empty clean neighbourhood here: (https://modthesims.info/download.ph...834#post5421834) for University College Subhood without the sims in the hood including Brittany Upsnott, Castor Nova etc...
But what i want to do is delete those empty templates and install the clean templates with sims in them from meetme2theriver that has Brittany Upsnott and Castor Nova etc in it. But is it safe to do so? Im really scared especially since ive also added Plumbtales clean versions of the University Townies/NPC's in this uberhood aswell although i have not yet played with the college town yet.
Please let me know before i do something I'll regret!
Thankyou
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Aug 2022 at 11:20 PM
If Jawusa's empty college is truly empty and you've never played it, you should have no YA sims at all yet. You can check this by looking in the character files in SimPE. Open the neighborhood in SimPE, open the SimBrowser, click all the options for sims to display (Playable, Townie, etc.) and arrange the display by age category by clicking on that header. This will group all the Elders together, all the adults together, etc. That way you can tell at a glance whether there's any YAs in the neighborhood.

If not (and knowing Jawusa, who does good work, I bet not!) you're home free. Add the new college and delete the old one using the university choice screen, and play on.

If you do see YAs, take a closer look at them. Who are they? Does it matter if a second copy of them is created? If they're generic dormies or NPCs, you can just give them makeovers and probably never tell the difference. All denizens of subhoods get assigned new unique numbers when the subhood is added, so there's no fear of duplication, and who really cares if there's two dorm cooks instead of one? You'll still be fine.

If the playables are there, you didn't add an empty neighborhood, and will need to think about how you want to proceed.

If

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Aug 2022 at 1:22 AM
Yes but the only thing im scared about is that I've also added Plumbtales clean versions of University Townies/NPC's but as a subhood. I haven't touched/played it or deleted it but it will add the young adults/npc's that come with University to the hood.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Aug 2022 at 2:55 AM
Okay, those dormies and NPCs are there, and they're going to stay there unless you do a whole lot of work. They have their ID Numbers; they'll keep those ID numbers. If Tarlia's hood has the same dormies, they'll be added - with new numbers, and different names. That'll be a lot of character files, but that won't, on it's own, corrupt anything, and the dormies are all, AFAIK, unaltered templates. You can easily change their appearance if they get confusing, and they won't hurt a thing. I promise. I'm not actually certain that Tarlia didn't clear out the dormies from her University hoods, so the issue you're worried about might be completely moot anyway.

The chief problem with apparent character duplication is player confusion. The game does not care how sims look or what they're named. Not even a little. The corruption problem arises when characters get duplicate IDs and their data are mixed together, which is why everybody says "don't delete characters," or when a character from a subhood is assigned its new, unique ID and a device like the pregnancy controller doesn't update properly, which is why pregnant sims in subhoods (i.e. Samantha Ottomas, Sarah Crittur, and the occasional pregnant sim in a subhood version of a main hood) need the Seasons patch so the babies, when born, aren't made with the wrong father's DNA. I've seen people play adding subhood versions of main hoods to the original main hood, and they may have problems, but corruption isn't one of them.

You should be fine doing this; but I recommend backing up your neighborhood before adding any new subhood. That way, any regrets are reversible. If you'd done that here, this question wouldn't even have arisen, as you could have just restored from the back up before adding the dormie subhood, and decided later whether you wanted it after all. Using SimPE to familiarize yourself with the scope of the apparent mass cloning that you might be letting yourself in for would also be prudent, as you can then plan for how to deal with it most easily.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Aug 2022 at 3:24 AM Last edited by kestrellyn : 28th Aug 2022 at 11:03 PM.
The templates are copied over when you attach the hood. Replacing the templates with new templates doesn't have any effect on any of your existing neighborhoods or uni subhoods, it just changes what uni hood you attach when you attach the hood to a new neighborhood. Sims that are "in" a uni hood are not actually attached to that subhood in any way, they are just sims who are part of the main neighborhood who are young adults. Unless there are sims actually living in a particular uni hood, it's safe to delete the subhood, none of the other sims are deleted.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Aug 2022 at 12:47 PM
Thanks guys so much for your replies Yeah im not going to risk it and instead i started from beginning and this time i added the templates i wanted. Yeah a bit of a pain to rename everyone back but now at least this time hopefully i got it where i want it