Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 7:29 PM
Default Curious question about skins~
So, I downloaded a skin from The Sims Resources the other day and found out it's just bmp files. I tested them out and they work just fine. But their just bmp files, they don't have cmx files or skn files attached to them.

Thus, this is my question over are there skins that can work like this and how?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 8:02 PM
Well, all CMX and SKN files need a BMP to be covered with, otherwise they won't even be available at your CAS bank! It wouldn't be absurd to affirm your BMP files use Maxis (not made by fans, prob from the base game) models. Remember that you can recognize which one of the meshes a certain BMP texture is gonna be attributed with via its file name as its first portion (example: C001FAlgt) always matches with how its respective mesh is named as well

All the best

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
lixcpu@gmail.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LUCPIX
Well, all CMX and SKN files need a BMP to be covered with, otherwise they won't even be available at your CAS bank! It wouldn't be absurd to affirm your BMP files use Maxis (not made by fans, prob from the base game) models. Remember that you can recognize which one of the meshes a certain BMP texture is gonna be attributed with via its file name as its first portion (example: C001FAlgt) always matches with how its respective mesh is named as well

All the best

The skin I downloaded that had only bmps was this one:
Link.

I think its over it uses one of the existing child skins over the head's bmp is the same as another head. Only with some redness on the face.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 10:05 PM
Many downloadable skins use the Maxis meshes. Since those meshes are already in the game, you don't need to download CMX and SKN files for them, because you have them already.

Do you know about Skin Doctor? It's a program that checks your skins to make sure they're okay. The site it was on closed down, but the last time I checked, it was still available on the Wayback Machine, here: http://web.archive.org/web/20060202...arneystone.org/ .

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
Many downloadable skins use the Maxis meshes. Since those meshes are already in the game, you don't need to download CMX and SKN files for them, because you have them already.

Do you know about Skin Doctor? It's a program that checks your skins to make sure they're okay. The site it was on closed down, but the last time I checked, it was still available on the Wayback Machine, here: http://web.archive.org/web/20060202...arneystone.org/ .

I remember Skin Doctor. I used it before too when I was able to play The Sims 1 on my Vista computer.