Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 9:49 AM
Default So about the 120x120 bigger Lot of Lazy Duchess...
I was wondering if bigger lots make sense... I mean yeah 120x120 would be in theory cool also to have apartments on them to get an open world theming but there is one issue I guess... Can the game even handle that? I had a castle downloaded longer time ago and when I played it, it lagged and crashed after short time (Though I didnt had the 4GB patch at that time) And when I now create 60x60 Lots I have A LOT lag... (Even befor I really build something on it) of course with alot of CC and my Card is intrigrated but still... I would guess even with a little CC and a better card a fully used 120x120 lot would cause severe lag and crashes or? Anyone ever tried it out? I know it won't work for me and I'm still waiting for my M&G copy .-. I still would like to know about the performance if anyone had tried it
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 11:08 AM
My PC is just 2 Years old but it was cheap... AMD Radeon RX Vega 11 and 8 Gig Ram... Well the lag I often have I think is also related to my high decorated Town and Highpoly stuff XD But still huge Lots are a pain to play on... I only had a crash with said castle which was highly cluttered and tall... the rest is working without crashing...
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KiraNettt
I was wondering if bigger lots make sense... I mean yeah 120x120 would be in theory cool also to have apartments on them to get an open world theming but there is one issue I guess... Can the game even handle that? I had a castle downloaded longer time ago and when I played it, it lagged and crashed after short time (Though I didnt had the 4GB patch at that time) And when I now create 60x60 Lots I have A LOT lag... (Even befor I really build something on it) of course with alot of CC and my Card is intrigrated but still... I would guess even with a little CC and a better card a fully used 120x120 lot would cause severe lag and crashes or? Anyone ever tried it out? I know it won't work for me and I'm still waiting for my M&G copy .-. I still would like to know about the performance if anyone had tried it

Out of an abundance of caution and knowing what my computer can typically handle, I almost never send my sims to lots bigger than 30x40 because otherwise my game struggles to render all of it. I already get overwhelmed playing on lots bigger than 3x3 just due to how slowly sims walk and how spread out things can become. I imagine it would take a sim a few hours at least to walk from the back corner of a 120x120 lot to their carpool or schoolbus.

Still, it's an impressive concept. If someone else wants it, more power to them, but it's not my cup of tea. All I want is for my game to run smoothly and if that means small lots, so be it.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 9:42 PM
Before having that mod it would be better if someone found the definitive solution to pink flashing/closures.
I mean, it seems like a curse to me that I'll never be able to play any sims game that works really well in my life.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 12:56 AM
I have 32 RAM and an 18 month old or so PC and I still get lag on Maxis largest lot. I haven't even tried that huge lot as I know the lag would be horrendous. Would love to be able to use large lots and have them play well though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 6:03 AM
I haven't gotten any lag on the largest EA lot size from Seasons when playing UC on my nearly ten year old laptop though I do have to be careful about playing in hot weather for too long.I onc got the pink falshing on an old computer though it was because it was starting to get very old and wasn't very powerful to begin with.I highly doubt I would have any issues with those bigger lots excpet that I would limit hown many of them were used and they would mostly be family farms.
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 7:59 AM
I have tried even the 120 x120 lot and can say that while there is lag it is manageable. Maybe Buckingham Palace would be a good project for someone to craft? minus the state halls.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 3:38 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Jul 2022 at 6:53 PM.
The question is what you put on the lot. The lot itself is probably not going to cause the worst of the lag, but add in the full load of the wall limit, a bunch of CC, weather, snow on the ground, a bunch of sims, and you've probably got the makings of a laggy, pink snowstorm coming your way...

My old computer could just barely handle a very CC-heavy 50x60 lot that reached the wall limit, and it would start flashing pink after a while. I don't think it would've liked if I sprung a 120x120 on it. My new one... I don't know. I need to get all the other issues sorted out before I even consider it. I don't even know if I want to try any of the other mods that's supposed to give better graphics, like the one that gives better lot imposters and such - especially considering I've had the worst pink soup imaginable with this thing (even though I fixed the worst of that), and I don't even know if it can handle all my CC... And this one is supposed to be heaps better than the computer I used to have.

Having bigger lots could be useful for some things, like when you make large picture/movie sceneries and such where you need the actual space - but I don't think huge or CC-heavy buildings would be a particularly good idea, since the playability wouldn't be too good (lag, probably also pink-flashing).
Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 6:45 PM
If I loaded that kind of lot in my game I wouldn't have to worry about lag or pink flashing. The game would just crash if I attempt to load a lot of that size. Empty or full lot. It would just crash the game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
I have tried even the 120 x120 lot and can say that while there is lag it is manageable. Maybe Buckingham Palace would be a good project for someone to craft? minus the state halls.

Manageable lag with it fully built on?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 12:21 AM
Manageable lag with a fully playable Buckingham Palace built on it? I have my doubts...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 3:21 AM
I think the game needs to be designed for 64 bit systems but I highly doubt EA will ever look at sims 2 again -even though its the best out of them all.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#15 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 4:12 AM
Oh it'll lag badly at the largest size, especially with a large building on it.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 9:31 AM
I very highly doubt I'd ever put anythin more than a reasonable amount of construction on any of those lots and munbers of them are to be limited though lag would only be a possiblity if I forgot a few steps in getting into my game or if the weather was very hot and I had been in the gae for a while already.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 10:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The question is what you put on the lot. The lot itself is probably not going to cause the worst of the lag.

For me it does when I have a 60x60 Lot XD Don't wanna know how it will be on 120x120... At least the rest is fine... on the old XP PC building a house was even on small lots was pain cause when you build a wall it took so long till it rendered it... which I also have on my current PC with big lots which is so annoying... mostly happens when it has to calculate shadows
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 8:11 PM
Since i seldom use any lots larger than 4X4 (and they are already the exceptions to the rule), a big lot like that does not appeal to me.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 9:47 PM
Having built a desktop specifically to go way beyond the system requirements for TS2 (so that all I'd be limited by is what the game engine itself can handle), I can't really see that size lot working for anything besides farms or parks (where there's mostly just open space). As awesome as it could be to make an entire neighborhood all in one block or something, I just don't think TS2 itself would really be up to the task of anything more than the most basic lots on that scale.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 11:23 PM
I won't be using those larger sized lots for anything other than family farms and only build on them in moderation though I would avoid some of the fancier graphics fixes in farvor of having a functional game like more lot sizes.I've already more than likely gone beyond the CC limit that everybody keeps talking about at least several times and still don't see lag unless I forget some of the steps I usually take to start my game up.
Instructor
#21 Old 12th Jul 2022 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Having built a desktop specifically to go way beyond the system requirements for TS2 (so that all I'd be limited by is what the game engine itself can handle), I can't really see that size lot working for anything besides farms or parks (where there's mostly just open space). As awesome as it could be to make an entire neighborhood all in one block or something, I just don't think TS2 itself would really be up to the task of anything more than the most basic lots on that scale.

That's mostly what I want to build in those lots. I don't use large lots in general, but I wanted to built a large park in the middle of Downtown and had to improvise with 4 different lots that connect in a semi-decent way. Those large lots fill exactly the niche I needed.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Inventor
#22 Old 20th Jul 2022 at 1:29 PM
Never tried it and currently not interested in creating 120×120 lots (also due to higher risk of crashing), but the mod would be useful for me instead to build elongated lots, like 20×70.

I have a new Win 10 laptop with GeForce 4 GB graphics card (don't know the number by heart)
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 9:51 AM
I like the ambition to get things like this in the game but don’t think the engine was meant for it. I too never liked playing in large lots because they’re just an invitation for game lag.
Alchemist
#24 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
That's mostly what I want to build in those lots. I don't use large lots in general, but I wanted to built a large park in the middle of Downtown and had to improvise with 4 different lots that connect in a semi-decent way. Those large lots fill exactly the niche I needed.

This. There are a few places where I would like a lot to basically be deco, such as my golf course in the center of PV where I just overlapped lots, but I think that is better done as hood deco, so I would probably make hood deco instead of installing a lot I know I could not actually visit.