Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 9:45 PM
Default Playing With Too Many Sims: What's Your Limit?
I've recently found that sometimes, large families and groups are a lot to handle at once. I'm currently on a family of seven that's a multigenerational family, and I had to move out the eighth sim after she got knocked up by her fiancé... I couldn't handle a ninth this time. The most sims I've had in a single household, I believe, is eleven, and most of them were children in the community orphanage. So, what's your limit when it comes to the number of sims you can handle in one household? How do you handle that number of sims? Do you tend to play with many at a time, or just a few? Are they all selectable?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 9:52 PM
It delends a lot on how far my town is progressed and on how many families are established enough to have built larger homes.It's not very big iearly one when founders are the main residents as their homes won't get too big before they start having children and size of house does matter as smaller house mean older kids move out on their own as teens in my games and ;my Pleasantview game is set in the 17th century when teens accordint to the game ages are allowed to move out as I got that enabled by a Mod.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 10:34 PM
I always have single sim households. Easier to control and you don't have to stress over mutitasking between sims when you have a large household especially with babies and toddlers.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 11:01 PM
The most I've had was when I mainly played legacies. It was around 14-16 at once. It was near the end of the legacy and the family had all the money and stuff they could ever need, so it was very easy to let them run around with full autonomy.
If it did get hectic (like with 6 toddlers needing to learn skills), that's when I'd micro-manage that group of sims for a bit.
Now I mainly play rotational, and I don't think I've had a household of more than 10.
I get very bored with 1-3 sim households, so it's very normal for two families to live together, and for elder sims to live with their kids and grandkids.
Scholar
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 11:24 PM
@Aspersim I put in a mod that significantly reduces the amount of time needed to complete homework. I forget the name of it but I'm sure you can google it. It was a life saver as I want kids to have fun and make friends, not do homework all the time. But I also modded out the social worker. I think the child age is old enough to be a latchkey kid like I was when I was a child, although I never leave toddlers or babies alone.

I like households that are between 3 and 6 Sims. I like the chaos of bigger households but I get frazzled if they get Ottomas size, especially when keeping up with needs. If there are a lot of Sims in the house, I usually end up focusing on one or two, usually the adults or teens. I could never have more than 8--that would kill me! If the number ever gets up to 7, I make sure someone moves out shortly.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 11:34 PM
@sturlington -That's just like me since I Modded out the social worker years ago and I Modded a lot of school related things including that they can skip school and suffer no grade loss unless I manually edited their grades to lower them.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 12:00 AM
The biggest family I had was when I did the boolprop forums 'wacky boolprop challenge' The house had 11 sims+2servos+1cat. Total 14. Given that there were 3 'bad apples' that I could not control it was chaotic.
Most of my families can be anywhere from 2 (new) up to about 8/9 (old established ones with grandparents, parents and kids) I don't allow family sims to have 10 kids anymore, at most they can have 6 for the LTW but unless they surprise me with multiples (twins/triplets/quads)I only allow family sims 4 kids nowadays.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 1:18 AM
In one of my towns, large families are the norm-like the Lothario family that had 10 children, and I had to put some up for adoption because it was getting impossible to control all of them, or even try.
Nowadays I limit families to 2 children (or if they're unlucky, 4) and that makes it easier to control them when they have all kinds of people visiting them.
If I can't enjoy my visit to their house, I'm not going to play that house.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 1:59 AM
I think the biggest I've had so far is 12 sims. Currently my biggest household is 11 sims, but they are about to have twins, so soon my largest ever household will be 13. Two elders, four adults, three teens, one child, one toddler and two babies.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 2:21 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Aug 2022 at 1:04 PM.
I think the most I've had on a lot at the same time was around 20 sims, maybe up to 30 sims once (I just remember the pure chaos of sim icons - I think I was just testing out some mods, possibly a pregnancy mod, because I think most of the sims were babies), but I don't recommend it.

I often used to have families with 10-12 sims. For storytelling, I'll often have around that number of sims on a lot, occasionally more. If I'm just playing with a family these days it's more around 5-6 sims.

My story hood had just over 1000 sims, but it was built on top of a vanilla Pleasantview, so some of those sims came as a package deal (planning on using a clean version without townies for the makeover).
Test Subject
#13 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 2:49 AM
It varies for me but the sweet spot is about 6 sims, though it all depends on how many toddlers there are, for example. I've noticed lately that if sims have children too close together, I often get overwhelmed and end up taking a break from that household until I can work up the nerve to manage all the needs and stuff again. Something about it just makes me frazzled! But then if I have too few sims, I get bored quickly, and so end up getting through a round much slower.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 7:52 AM
I like playing large families - 6 or more. More challenging, and especially when there are a lot of them in the hood. They keep me busy, they hold my attention, and I enjoy the chaos that is caused at times.
Scholar
#15 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 8:25 AM
average is 2.3 over 1.5k Sims. largest was 1,021 Sims (2 parents, 1 adopted child and 1,018 biological children), obviously not on one lot all at once, although the children were all born on that lot. largest on a single lot was 100... the game was slow and froze a lot processing but didn't Crash.
Instructor
#16 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 10:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
average is 2.3 over 1.5k Sims. largest was 1,021 Sims (2 parents, 1 adopted child and 1,018 biological children), obviously not on one lot all at once, although the children were all born on that lot. largest on a single lot was 100... the game was slow and froze a lot processing but didn't Crash.

Good heavens, you must like to torture yourself! I get overwhelmed just thinking about it

I tend to stick to fairly small households, but I don't always allow myself the choice. I have problems handling stress and I know I have to work on it, so a large household or more than three toddlers at the time can be useful for me to practice on, as well as giving my sims the autonomy I think they should have. I don't cheat or mod in the possibility of larger households anymore, though, eight sims at once is plenty enough for me!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 11:24 AM
I like how my families can vary in size when towns become a little more established and I can have anything from young singles living alone in apartments to large families living on a family farm though that's a long ways off in my Pleasantview game since the town is about to get the first colonial couple arriving a few weeks from now in game time.It's going to be only childless couples for the time being in that town until a few coule begin trying to have babies.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 6:11 PM
I used to prefer smaller households, like 3-5 for a family or less because I could micromanage them easier than large families but i'm working on not micromanaging so i'll get larger households and it can be quite fun. I do have a larger household mod, I think I once had 9 sims, that mighta been my biggest so far. I have no plans to max out the mod's limits lol but I might get like 13-14 give or take a little.

My Simblr
He/They
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 6:32 PM
My record were 16 Sims, the Davis household -- two founders, their three children + partners and six grandchildren with two of them married already, though no children for GEN3 at that point yet. And cats. I adopted every stray cat that came my way. No idea how many I've had. My game ran pretty okay-ish, though I gotta admit I'm used to playing with lots of lags, so maybe I just didn't realize how bad I've had it lol. It was doable, multi-tasking wise, though I think Eden got the gold badge for flower arranging at one point, and then I just sat GEN1 and GEN2 into their greenhouse with some snapdragons and made them hangout all day (except for Aaron, as he became a warlock and locked himself in the cellar all day doing magic stuff, and Alison, who kept painting all alone in the attic, trying to perfect that hidden painting skill), which, thinking back now, I regret, as this feels like cheating lol, and tried to manage GEN3 to get them to be halfway presentable the same way their parents were. I liked the lot I built for them a LOT (g-get it??) and am sad I didn't save it anywhere. I was so proud of it too, because I liked the overall idea and it was the first time I've ever put so much effort into a build. Every family got their own house on the 64x64 lot and it was basically a small neighborhood on its own. Maybe I'll try to rebuild it some day, I still remember the blueprint more or less...
I don't like rotational play, or rather, the idea of it, as I have never tried it, because the thought of keep loading between lots and having to keep track between all ages so that everything is synchronized makes me despair, and I like the challenge of having to keep managing so much at once. Everyone who becomes a member of my household stays a member of my household, until they die (and if I liked them enough, even past that).
About three months into the game play, I lost the family (nothing corruption related, just got lost between moving machines) and when making a similar family, it went fine but somehow not at all like I was planning it to, which frustrated me, so I discarded them two generations in lol. I feel like you have to start on a lucky foot, because I've had both cases, where everything runs perfect and where it runs nothing like I want it to, after that. The Davis family was what made me discover my love for giant households and I haven't played any other way since I've had them. In a way, I'm glad I lost them before they ruined themselves. Keeps the memory nice lol. I'm currently running a 9-member household (plus cats. Don't forget the cats. Two, so far.), two gens in, and I feel like this is one of those ~lucky~ families, because I'm feeling really good about them so far.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#20 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 7:51 PM
Simple answer: 6. I cannot handle more than six Sims at all, it just gets overbearing taking care of that many. I usually have grandparents live in their own home for sake of being easier on me when I play a family. But then I have this bad habit of forgetting about the grandparents. :/

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#21 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 1:25 AM
I like big families; college graduates move back home, get a wife; grandparents are a big help with the babies, and I love that cousins become friends as toddlers. Then there was the family of 30-something, which included pets. They didn't become a huge family all at once; it's helpful if they have some "training". Most of the time everything pauses as I set up a queue for everyone! And, with ACR, it got interesting .."OMG they're upstairs making another baby!" So I actually like them to be doing their own thing...but I insist on happy toddlers.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 4:21 AM
I've got ACR in my game so that sim romances are kept under very strict control and cheating is blocked unless I want them cheating on partners and direct them to do it.All romantic actions are limited to their partners or restricted to user-directed for TFB and woohoo.I want to restrict babies in my town's early days until their amenities are improved to handle it better.I've already got a story progression system in place with the Mods I added like a lot pre-populating on loading fix to block that from happening and a Mod to stop relationship changes from happening if they told a bad joke.I have to play each family and make them progress through their lives and start having babies though that's part of the fun of the game and I want to have that fun myself.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 7:28 PM
I don't use mods that increase the number of Sims that can be on a lot, but 4 to 6 seems to work best for how I play. Sometimes those 4 are two adult couples sharing the same house. I have gone up to 8 at times and that means I'm using a lot of the pause button to make sure someone isn't about to burn the house down making a toaster pastry, sleeping in the wrong bed, cleaning the shower while someone else wants to use it, or whatever. When a lot reaches as few as 5 Sims I might start doing things like sending a Sim to bed after school (if a teen) or after work (if an adult) so they get up at an odd hour and I send them off to a community lot (sort of a 'play with a single Sim for a while').
Forum Resident
#24 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 12:32 AM
I like families of many sims in houses that load quickly and do not consume many resources.
If I have a very big house and too many sims, I try to play them during those days until one of them grows up, goes to university, dies, gets married... Anyway, things that can happen.
When I'm in second or third generation and there are already too many sims, I try to have one or two children at most.
I usually try to keep families to less than 5 sims, but I often break that rule.
Since accidental deaths don't usually happen in my neighborhoods (I play too well), sometimes I use insimenator to provoke some death... xD
Page 1 of 2