Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 6:51 PM
Default Making objects intersectable
I'm basically trying to stop sims stomping their feet at intersecting objects. In sims 2, you could use OMSP's, to keep objects usable when something else was in the same spot. In 3, that doesn't seem to work. An OMSP that sims will walk over just fine with nothing on it won't change anything about an object that's sitting on it.

So, it looks like I gotta make an override for the object I want to intersect with things that sims are supposed to use. Can anyone help me figure this out, tell me where to start, point me to a tutorial, anything? My modding knowledge is really limited to a few specific things, so please bear with me. I'd guess I could clone something like a hanging lamp and swap things around? Or move the footprint out of the way, make sims think the object was some place else than it really is?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 9:10 PM
Sims in TS3 don’t like when two routing slots, two object footprints, or a routing slot and an object’s footprint are overlapping. Try shrinking the size of the object’s footprint to avoid the collision.

Another way to fix that is to shift the object away from where its footprint would be in Blender. It’s a trial and error process because you can’t see the footprint in Blender and it won’t be perfect, but it’s much easier than trying to mess with the routing slots and distorting any animations.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 9:32 PM
Blender won't be easy for me, that'd be a whole new program to learn, so I'ma try to figure out the footprint size. What do you mean by shrinking the size? The one thing I can think of is how there will be several of the green squares for most big objects, so if it was just one, it'd be less likely to overlap?

And how about the lamp idea? Most objects can sit under hanging lamps just fine and still be usable. If it was sims 2, I'd clone a lamp or something and swap the mesh. Since the object I'm editing is just decorative anyway. Is it that easy in 3, though? How would I go about that?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 3:29 AM
Since the object is decorative, your lamp idea should work. Though in case it doesn’t, you can change an object’s footprint in TSRW in the Slots tab.

Click on the footprint tab, click the three dots, and select a predefined size from the drop down menu, then click apply. To view the footprint, click the button next to the bone button at the top of the object window (it looks like a red rug). The new footprint will show up as a red square around your object.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 1:17 PM
I got none of those theories to work, BUT you did give me the crucial hint... if I change the "level offset" rather than the size (it already was 1x1), for some reason, it works. Maybe sims think the object was one level above them. Thanks for your help!

If anyone can still help me about the mesh swapping though, that'd still be greatly appreciated. All the fun things I could do with that.... I'm guessing it's the MLOD and MODL I'd have to fiddle with?
I tried this approach: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=497531, but apparently it's not that easy if you have 2 very different kinds of objects. Worked just fine if my base had the same functions as the object that I want for its mesh, but otherwise I guess there'd be a whole lot more dark magic to dive into.

So my question is: How can I swap ONLY the mesh, and leave everything else intact (footprints, interactions, ...)? Is there a way? I wouldn't even need to create workarounds like the intersectability that way, I could just say.... take a rabbit hole, make it look like one of those spacey stage props and pretend it's a portal. I suppose this wouldn't work on something that needed bones (is that the word) for animations, but something like a rabbit hole, that sims just stand in front of and disappear...? Or for problems like the one I just had, where I want some attributes like the intersectability of another object and can't figure out the right changes?
Screenshots