Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 12:20 AM
Default A Big X?
I noticed some of the package files I recently downloaded have a big gray X when I view them in the folder. I never noticed this before, I searched forums and Google but can't find any answers to why it is there.
Just wondering if the package file is corrupted or missing something?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 2:32 PM
A picture is always helpful.

Do you have OneDrive activated? What happens if you disable it and download the packages again?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 12:22 AM
I did have one drive but I don't know how it got on my pc. I uninstalled it. Not all files I downloaded recently have this mysterious gray X.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 12:59 AM
If you didn't do so yet, you could try to make a new user folder and install your cc and mods again in its mod folder, to see if you get the grey X 's on them without One Drive being active.

How to make a new folder:
Rename the one you have ("The Sims 4greyx" for example); then start the game and exit it again from Main Menu already . A new user folder (called: The Sims 4") will be created by this. Your saves etc are intact in the renamed user folder, and can be copied from there to the new one.
Make sure that the path to the new folder is in Documents>Electronic Arts.

Start the game again, and make a new save with a random sim, placing them somewhere random. Save using option Save As, to name it something recognizable, like "Testing".
Exit the game, then load it again - this to see if that save ("Testing") is actually available in Main Menu. If it is, that means that the game is reading the files in the user folder in Documents>Electronic arts>The Sims 4 (and not somewhwere else, like OneDrive).

Try to download and install the mods and cc again - in this new folder, in the Mod folder in it. Load the game, see if they are there, and exit the game. Hopefully this will work (no grey X's; and mods and cc available in the game).
You can move the files from any folder in the renamed user folder into this new one, to the equivalent folder (save files to saves folder; tray files to Tray folder etc.)

If there is still an x on the files after this, it isn't because of Onedrive.
Also, I don't know anything about this sim.PE for TS4, so you might need to give some context to what packages you are talking about.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 6:53 PM
The SimPE logo usually shows if you have installed SimPE for TS2 files. It's not a bug that the SimPE icon shows - the package files will use the icon from whichever program out of SimPE/S4PE/S3PE you've installed last, and/or set to open Package files with, and each game (TS2/TS3/TS4) will recognize the files just fine as long as you put the files into the Downloads/Mods folder for the correct game. All my Package files have SimPE icons, but work fine in their respective games.

My guess is that the X may show because the file is a Package file SimPE doesn't recognize, but it's still a "package" file so it gets the icon from SimPE.

Another issue could be if the file is an incomplete download. If the file says 0 kb or otherwise looks smaller than it should be, you may want to download it again.

Either way, test to see if the file shows up in your game. If it does, everything is fine, and no need to worry about the X.

If it doesn't, try to open it with for instance S4Studio or S4PE. If the file doesn't want to open there, check in SimPE to see if it's a TS2 file - if it doesn't want to open in either one, it's possible the file is a TS3 file (S3PE or TSRW can open these, you may need to have TS3 installed). The file should open in whichever editing program is correct for the file.