Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#951 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
Not exactly: everything you need is in the latest 3.0 teaser--2.0 is completely obsolete at this point. I think you can safely junk it and never look back.

Ah. I thought that the teaser only included the new stuff, but I guess I was wrong!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#952 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 12:30 PM
Huhu^.^

Still playing the same round, but two more households finished

@Nottakenaway: Thanks a lot! The heiress used it and well... there is no little brother left to be worried about

@M3g7e: Yeah, I know the story can't be decided by the rules alone I'm a perfectionist close to compulsiveness and before this challenge, I thought women had about as many rights as sheeps back then... Therefore my questions are often more about "how did society handly this situation" than "what do the rules say" And you have a far better understanding of the peolpe back then, than I have
Lab Assistant
#953 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 4:15 AM
What rules pdf am I to use? I'm not understanding the teasers since they have so much missing. What is the current complete rule book and where do I find it?
Instructor
Original Poster
#954 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:50 PM
Hi, Satrina,

Warwickshire 3.0 is undergoing a "rolling" release, with updates being made available as they are ready. To ensure you have the latest, most up to date version, always use the last "teaser" version: here is the current one: Warwickshire 3.0, Teaser 2.5

It is the most complete version and as of today is not "missing" anything. There is more to come and as it is finished, it will be released. Currently under construction: Chapter 5, Law and Order--expected release date: end of summer.

@Yvi-Sama, thanks for the updates! I entirely understand about loooong rotations. I have a subnh that has not been visited for three years ... Really need to get back there someday, see how they're doing.
Test Subject
#955 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 10:03 PM
I've been playing the Warwickshire Challenge on-and-off for several years now. I keep restarting my neighbourhoods because I tend to rush in before setting things up properly, but this time I think I have a set-up I can stick with!

Especially since I've just had my first big drama-bomb for the kingdom that was created *entirely* by Warwickshire random rolls. On the first day of winter of the second year, one of my peasant families had the father and eldest son struck down with smallpox, but they were both in excellent health, so no big deal. As of the last day of winter, we have... one suicide, one assault, one murder covered up as an accidental drowning, and two members of the household descended into full-on demented lunacy for want of CFP.

The father and son totally survived the smallpox, though! :D

Moral of the story - do not let children play with the resurrect function of the genie lamp. Bad, bad things happen. On the plus side, I'm ecstatic that all this happened with NO intervention on my part, and looking forward to designing an asylum. It looks like the kingdom will need one, since I can't really put either of the demented sims in the nunnery where the young gentlewomen are currently getting a nice convent education to prepare them for marriage.
Test Subject
#956 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 2:30 AM
*tentative wave* Hello~ I've also been playing Warwickshire off and on for a while, but I never posted because I feared that going public with my decision to play would somehow lead to the end of me playing the challenge (it has happened before, and I can never figure out why xD; ). But I have decided to risk posting because I have a question.

First, I suppose I should give a bit of background information. I started this neighborhood with the Medieval Charter Challenge, completed that challenge, and am now in the several-rounds-long process of implementing Warwickshire rules. To explain why new gentry and noble families kept popping up out of nowhere with no king in sight in the MCC, I played it like my 'hood was just a province of a larger kingdom, and the original gentry family was tasked with settling the land with a few lower-class families. When I finished the MCC and created the monarch using Warwickshire rules, I rolled the monarch as a female toddler with no family members, so I decided that the kingdom had just lost a war, and the court jester only managed to save and secret away the youngest daughter of the now-late king. The people already in my 'hood managed to avoid the enemy's notice because of reasons, and the kingdom lives on. To keep this long story from becoming way longer (a 'bit' of background info - ha), I'll fast forward to Ruthie Hamilton, youngest daughter of a surviving lord. Due to the diminished population, her marriage prospects are zilch; all the bachelors qualified to marry her are already otherwise engaged. She's a neutral family sim, but on the evil side of the neutral spectrum. I'm planning on saying that she's so desperate for a family of procreation of her own that she poisons a woman in order to be able to marry the then-widower.

Now to finally get to my question. By the time she commits her crime, she'll likely have enough skill points to reach the +25 area on Table 84: Accidental Death Event Score. The only person qualified to investigate her victim's "accidental" death isn't very skilled; he'll probably only have a competence level of about 20%. No matter how high Ruthie's roll in step 1 (btw, I'm reading on page 146 of the second-latest teaser, as I haven't had the chance to print out the latest teaser, but the information looks about the same, even if the page numbers might be a bit off), the investigator's incompetence will ensure that an investigation proceeds. If the investigator were a lot better at his job, he might rule the poisoning as just an accident. This doesn't make sense to me. Am I doing something wrong?

On an ending note, I just want to say THANK YOU! I absolutely love Warwickshire! The time and effort put into all these details - I can't even imagine! I'm having so much fun with my neighborhood, watching its story unfold. *squee* x3

My Sims 2 Test of Time Challenge Blog - Here - Updated 6-10-2015
Lab Assistant
#957 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 4:41 AM
Thanks for the most up to date rules pdf. I was going off an older version. I spent last night using an excel spreadsheet thinking out my whole neighborhood and plan of attack. No other challenge has had my creativity going like Warwickshire. I've tried it a few times but never stick with it completely since it's such an big game with many sims in play. I'm happy to be at it again.
Test Subject
#958 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 10:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TruthxLiesxMagic
It looks like the kingdom will need one, since I can't really put either of the demented sims in the nunnery where the young gentlewomen are currently getting a nice convent education to prepare them for marriage.

<3 love the situation you created, really do.
Did you consider though that this is actually a possibility!

Like the male head of a nunnery they could spend most of their time in private quarters, maybe even afford their own little courtyard. The nuns could take care of them as nurses of sorts, and for the community it would be the most scandalous thing ever, source of plenty gossip.
And maybe one of the demented men would develop a naughty streak and try something, and a comical situation would ensue hahaha.
*totally imagining all the drama*
Test Subject
#959 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wups
<3 love the situation you created, really do.
Did you consider though that this is actually a possibility!

Like the male head of a nunnery they could spend most of their time in private quarters, maybe even afford their own little courtyard. The nuns could take care of them as nurses of sorts, and for the community it would be the most scandalous thing ever, source of plenty gossip.
And maybe one of the demented men would develop a naughty streak and try something, and a comical situation would ensue hahaha.
*totally imagining all the drama*

Hmmm, that's actually a good point! The two sims who became demented are the father, who I might fudge the rules for slightly and say he's covering up his insanity and/or it's more situational and can pass (he ended up with such a low level of CFP because one of his daughters committed suicide after helping her twin sister resurrect their mother, so he got a huge initial dent from the suicide and then had all of her negative CFP transferred to him as head of the household after her death, AND THEN he murdered his wife because he couldn't stand to see her as a zombie), and the other sim is the other twin who's a female child. So the child could potentially be held in the nunnery! Especially since, now that I think about it, the lord who oversees the town just allowed his eldest daughter to take the veil a couple of seasons ago, so she could plead for mercy on behalf of the remaining twin and ask for the chance to heal her... or maybe exorcise her? After all, raising the dead and one twin committing suicide and the other attacking another sibling does sound like awfully devilish behaviour.

Hmm, I think I need to work out some rolls for exorcisms now!
Instructor
Original Poster
#960 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 11:05 PM
First off, let me say, hi all--sorry to have disappeared, but I've been down for the past week with a nasty late summer cold. NO fun.

And now to questions!
Quote: Originally posted by faerie6099
By the time she commits her crime, she'll likely have enough skill points to reach the +25 area on Table 84: Accidental Death Event Score. The only person qualified to investigate her victim's "accidental" death isn't very skilled; he'll probably only have a competence level of about 20%. No matter how high Ruthie's roll in step 1 (btw, I'm reading on page 146 of the second-latest teaser, as I haven't had the chance to print out the latest teaser, but the information looks about the same, even if the page numbers might be a bit off), the investigator's incompetence will ensure that an investigation proceeds. If the investigator were a lot better at his job, he might rule the poisoning as just an accident. This doesn't make sense to me. Am I doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong! But you might have overlooked this: "If the result of this roll is greater than or equal to +51, the incident is ruled an accident and investigation ceases. If the result is lesser than or equal to +50, the investigation will proceed."
So ... if Ruthie rolls 51 or above, the crime will be ruled an accident. If she rolls a 50 or below, it will be investigated as a crime, regardless of the investigator's skill level. A less skilled investigator will be more likely to investigate an accident as a crime and as such is rather a danger. The main thing to remember is that higher numbers indicate innocence, not guilt. That is why Ruthie's +25 modifier all but clears her of suspicion.

With Ruthie's modifier, the most damaging roll she could have would be a 25--i.e. the roll that would make her seem most guilty. The most highly skilled investigator would find 100% of the incriminating evidence, i.e. 25 X 1.0, which would mean that you would start at Phase II on Table 86. In this case, the excellent investigator still has a very difficult job of making the case against Ruthie--but then she is a very skilled criminal! In the case of manslaughter, the crime may be investigated up to seven days, so you would begin with Phase II roll, -20 to +10. If the roll yields a positive number, move to Phase III; if the roll yields a negative number, move to Phase I. At the end of seven rolls, tally the total--if it is a positive number, there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial; if not, she's gotten away with it.

Quote: Originally posted by faerie6099
On an ending note, I just want to say THANK YOU! I absolutely love Warwickshire! The time and effort put into all these details - I can't even imagine! I'm having so much fun with my neighborhood, watching its story unfold. *squee* x3

I really appreciate that you like it! Believe me, there have been many days when I have wished it to be done once and for all!!! Knowing that someone somewhere is enjoying it really means a lot to me!

@Satrina, glad to hear you're working on the excel spreadsheets--record keeping is one of those dreaded, but super important tasks for a game of this size. I'd love to hear some of your nh stories, or maybe see a few pix.

@TruthxLiesxMagic, I love your story. :lovestruc Whatever happens, I'd love to see some pictures. One thing that I have noticed about this game is that it does have a way of creating some pretty odd circumstances. Your two demented fellows will surely cause some mayhem to the nuns, so enjoy that. Sounds like Wups has some great ideas to stir the pot a bit further.

I wish summer were looonger!!!! I am always so humbled by how patient and amazing you all are for waiting what has truly been an age for this game to be completed. Trust me, I am still ticking away on it. And I am ever grateful to all of you for your feedback, questions, and stories. You guys are the best. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#961 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
First off, let me say, hi all--sorry to have disappeared, but I've been down for the past week with a nasty late summer cold. NO fun.
And now to questions!
You're not doing anything wrong! But you might have overlooked this: "If the result of this roll is greater than or equal to +51, the incident is ruled an accident and investigation ceases. If the result is lesser than or equal to +50, the investigation will proceed."
So ... if Ruthie rolls 51 or above, the crime will be ruled an accident. If she rolls a 50 or below, it will be investigated as a crime, regardless of the investigator's skill level. A less skilled investigator will be more likely to investigate an accident as a crime and as such is rather a danger. The main thing to remember is that higher numbers indicate innocence, not guilt. That is why Ruthie's +25 modifier all but clears her of suspicion.

Oh noes, I hope you're feeling better now? And will continue to improve rapidly. x/

In response to your response to my question: Oooohh, okay! For some reason, I was thinking that a less skilled investigator would be less likely to find evidence enough to investigate an accident as a crime. But I guess I was overlooking two possibilities: 1) The investigator thinks he's a bigshot and finds suspicion in every little accident and 2) The investigator is aware of his lack of skill and decides it's better to err on the side of caution. Thank you for clearing that up! ^_^

My Sims 2 Test of Time Challenge Blog - Here - Updated 6-10-2015
Test Subject
#962 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 9:40 PM
@M3g7e: Oh, I hope you'll feel better very soon! Amd don't worry: this challenge is worth whatever wait we have to endure to get our hands on a more complete version! <3 <3

I finally worked up the courage to tackle the tax system (my sims just get to rich :-P) but I get the feeling I haven't quite understood the calculation for the asset tax

An example from a serf family (bill goes to the baron):
Garden Plot: 30x 20§ = 600§
Pond: 38x 50§ = 1900
No business
Plot sqares in fiefs: 400x 5§ = 2000§
Lot Square in City: 400x 200§ = 80000§
Lot square Residence in City: 36x 250§ = 9000§
One Adult Serf = 100§
Makes a total of 93.600§ 5% would be 4680§!! That's very high and I shudder what my more lordly sims will have to pay... Maybe I miscalculated something?
Test Subject
#963 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvi-sama
@M3g7e: Oh, I hope you'll feel better very soon! Amd don't worry: this challenge is worth whatever wait we have to endure to get our hands on a more complete version! <3 <3

I finally worked up the courage to tackle the tax system (my sims just get to rich :-P) but I get the feeling I haven't quite understood the calculation for the asset tax

An example from a serf family (bill goes to the baron):
Garden Plot: 30x 20§ = 600§
Pond: 38x 50§ = 1900
No business
Plot sqares in fiefs: 400x 5§ = 2000§
Lot Square in City: 400x 200§ = 80000§
Lot square Residence in City: 36x 250§ = 9000§
One Adult Serf = 100§
Makes a total of 93.600§ 5% would be 4680§!! That's very high and I shudder what my more lordly sims will have to pay... Maybe I miscalculated something?

I'm not M3g7e - and sometimes I wonder if I might be miscalculating, so take this with a pinch of salt! - but I think you've added in a couple of things you needn't have.

First of all, I know it's just an example, but serf families wouldn't pay asset tax anyway. Since they're serfs, they don't own anything, so they don't actually have any assets to be taxed on.

Secondly, I think the "plot squares in fiefs" and "adult serfs" charges are for the lord the serfs are indentured to to pay. Since the serfs themselves don't own anything, it's the lord who owns their lands/belongings/etc., thus why he'd pay taxes for the total lands leased and for the number of serfs working the land.

Taking those charges out, that seems pretty similar to the asset taxes I've been calculating in my game, which makes me think it's otherwise correct for a peasant family. It does seem very high, but I've found my peasants have little trouble paying their asset taxes since firstly it's only paid once every 4 seasons, and secondly sims can make an awful lot of money from farming gardening plots, especially when you have around 30 and a couple of sims work up to a gold gardening badge - which doesn't take very long with so much gardening to do - so they can talk the crops into the highest quality.
Test Subject
#964 Old 28th Jul 2016 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TruthxLiesxMagic
First of all, I know it's just an example, but serf families wouldn't pay asset tax anyway. Since they're serfs, they don't own anything, so they don't actually have any assets to be taxed on.

Jep, that is why I wrote "bill goes to baron" ;-)

I think I got pretty confused over the terms "Plot square" and "Lot square". Especially since the game measures a lot in small numbers (e.g. small lot 1x3, instead of 10x30, witch multipyed by 200 for a city-lot changes the value very much!)

But yeah, I think it is still right the way we calculated it, since it is only due every 20 years.
Instructor
Original Poster
#965 Old 28th Jul 2016 at 5:59 PM Last edited by M3g7e : 28th Jul 2016 at 6:15 PM.
Yvi-Sama, you did the calculations correctly: everything looks to be accurate to me. Serfs don't pay assets taxes, however, their indenture is $20K, which should offset the assets taxes owed on the land for quite some time, in this case 16 years or 4 fiscal years. Your baron should require their serfs to repay their indentures (it is a contract). Serfs should be paying their indenture over time to the lord ... I generally have them pay it back at a 1% rate of the assets taxes, so in this case it would be something like $950 per season. If they do not make the indenture payment, then I generally add it to the indenture, which is pretty bad, but some of my nobles are not so nice. I use the same rate for the rents on the lands for peasants and up. This way the titled lord is not "stuck" with a huge tax bill at the end of four years. Also, remember that anyone with enough RFP can get tax relief (see Table 67), and that helps too. Now, RFP doesn't do anything for rent payments, but it does help with taxes, so if your lords are financial wizards they should be able to come out ahead on those assets taxes. Ahem.

Oh, and a quick clarification: lot squares are the ones you see inside the lot, so a 2X2 lot has 200 lot squares. Plot squares are those visible from nh view, i.e. a 2X2 lot has 4 plot squares. I see two typos in Table 14, which explains the confusion: ponds should be measured by lot square, and occupied buildings on the lot also should be taxed/measured by lot square. These changes have been made now. Sorry for the confusion.
Inventor
#966 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 12:43 AM
I have a question regarding plot squares and fiefs. Is there some way to, for example, make a map of the subhood with the different fiefs superimposed on the map? Even using MS Paint would be helpful for knowing which parts of the map are parts of which fiefs once I start building the subhoods (I think I'm almost done with the main hood).

Test Subject
#967 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
I have a question regarding plot squares and fiefs. Is there some way to, for example, make a map of the subhood with the different fiefs superimposed on the map? Even using MS Paint would be helpful for knowing which parts of the map are parts of which fiefs once I start building the subhoods (I think I'm almost done with the main hood).

With Gunmod's camera mod you can sort of zoom out and turn the camera to get a maplike overview. Then it's just a matter of print screen and MS paint .
To make your grid stand out on the map maybe use the roads for reference as well as a newly placed empty lot or two because they light up green.
Inventor
#968 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 11:02 PM Last edited by PSDuckie : 1st Aug 2016 at 11:43 PM.
Thanks!

I do have another question, this time regarding the monastery and convent lots that I put in the main hood. When I get around to creating Sims, should I create an Abbott and an Abbess for those lots?

EDIT: I just thought up another idea regarding the monastery and convent, that being having the Sons of Glenda (the monastery's order) and the Daughters of Shari (the convent's order) each be responsible for a temple dedicated to their respective Aspects (using OFB's community business system). Yes, I already have the cathedral built, but the cathedral is dedicated to The Watcher as a whole, not any one of his Aspects.

As my Warwickshire and my Sims 3 Random Legacy Challenge take place in the same universe (albeit on different planets), the Sims' and Kytanians' religion is the same in both games. Basically, there's The Watcher, who has multiple Aspects that oversee different spheres of influence. There's also the Kytanian Watcher, but she is only worshipped by Outcasts (both because only Outcasts would worship her and because worshipping her would cause a Sim or Kytanian to become an Outcast).

ANOTHER EDIT: I just realized that I was talking about Kytanians without explaining what they are. In the sim-universe that my Warwickshire takes place in, Sims are natives of the planet Simmium (where my Sims 3 Random Legacy Challenge takes place) and Kytanians are natives of the planet Kytania (where my Warwickshire takes place).

Test Subject
#969 Old 3rd Aug 2016 at 10:10 PM
I reread the law-chapter and stumbled across Table 86 "Defense Attempt": how do I know if the roll is successful or not? An example would be very helpful!
Instructor
Original Poster
#970 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 7:05 PM
Hi, Yvi-sama, successful attempts are positive roll results. So if the range is -15 to +10 (as it is on the beginning of the track), anything above a zero is a successful roll. You move up/down the chart as indicated in the directions depending upon the outcome of each roll. Each positive roll gives the victim a slightly higher chance of success on the next roll; conversely, any negative roll results in a decreased chance of success on the next roll.
Test Subject
#971 Old 5th Aug 2016 at 2:01 PM
Hi M3g7e!

Tanks for the explanation! Wow, dying in a brawl is quite easy O.o

Follow up questions ^.^"
1) "Crimes of passion [...] are consideres manslaughter" even long plannes ones like poison?

2) During a tavern brawl, can I use a witness to break the fighters apart like during a suicide? (Like assailant(s)' turn, victim's turn, witness(es)' turn?)

3) "All popularity crimes, regardless of outcome, are subject to investigation and prosecuted" does this include domestic violence or only if (let's say) a husband/father beats his wife/daughter to death?

4) Very different subject: if I have a Baron and a Baronet together in a subhood, are the 100 Plot Squares of the gentry included in the Baron's 150 Plot Squares? Or contains this hood 100 + 150 Plot Squares?

Thank you!
Instructor
Original Poster
#972 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 5:09 PM
Hi, Yvi-Sama, poison is considered manslaughter, yes--so you will follow tables 84 and 85 to determine the effects of poison. This is mainly a game level distinction because the game mechanics for poison work like an accidental death, rather than a violent attack. That said, of course if someone poisons another person, it is murder (!)

2) During a tavern brawl, can I use a witness to break the fighters apart like during a suicide? (Like assailant(s)' turn, victim's turn, witness(es)' turn?)

Yes, absolutely!

3) "All popularity crimes, regardless of outcome, are subject to investigation and prosecuted" does this include domestic violence or only if (let's say) a husband/father beats his wife/daughter to death?

It includes any popularity crime, regardless of circumstance or outcome, so yes it certainly could include domestic violence. Of course, women had much less recourse to the law in cases of domestic violence, but the crime would be an assault (even if she survived it) and could be prosecuted as such.

4) Very different subject: if I have a Baron and a Baronet together in a subhood, are the 100 Plot Squares of the gentry included in the Baron's 150 Plot Squares? Or contains this hood 100 + 150 Plot Squares?

They are included--if the smaller fief is "nested" inside the larger one. If not, then they are separate. So, is your baronet's estate on the baron's fief? or next to it? It depends upon where the smaller fief is, whether it is located inside the larger one or not.
Test Subject
#973 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 2:03 AM
Wow I am just beginning to read this but it's fantastic, thank you for writing it
Instructor
Original Poster
#974 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 6:51 PM
Hello, ajs88 and welcome! I'm glad you are enjoying Warwickshire. Feel free to post questions, pics, or stories. We love to hear how things are going for you!
Lab Assistant
#975 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 1:55 PM
Well. here it is..my first chapter of my attempt at this challenge.

http://wwsroyals23.livejournal.com/708.html

I hope you like it!
Page 39 of 44