Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#12076 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Just imagine what these buildings must have looked like to the general population with far less than perfect vision at the time!

They would have looked better. I know I always look way nicer to myself in the mirror if my glasses are off. Astigmatism is like a nice blurry beauty filter slapped on life.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#12077 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
Astigmatism is like a nice blurry beauty filter slapped on life.

And the sky actually IS a different color in our little world, for those of us who can manage to see it at all, with thanks going to those whom I know were about to ask.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12078 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
And the sky actually IS a different color in our little world, for those of us who can manage to see it at all,

I quite often fall in love with people across a crowded room, and then when I put my glasses on I realise the error of my ways!
Forum Resident
#12080 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
This really should go into the builder's forum. Delete the corner frieze and just replace with floors to cover the holes. Then place the thingie back.

Problem:

Fix:

Result:

----------------

In fact, see this problem:

Remove the whole outer frieze:

Result:

Quote: Originally posted by cutsocks
What is actually happening is that the corner cornice pieces think they are inside in a sealed room with no lights. And technically they are, which is why they are dark. They are behaving according to inside lighting. The issue we can change is the sealed room. So if the frieze level is made with the frieze cheat and foundation tool, delete the frieze sections on each corner. If your frieze level is made with CFE walls, delete a wall section so the frieze level is no longer a sealed room. I prefer to build frieze levels with CFE walls because of this issue.

Why they are this way? I have no idea. Had they put a little more thought into it, EA could have made cornice pieces objects that attach to walls (instead of floors) that could be shifted up and down. Then cornices would be like 1000 times more versatile.

EDIT: Gah, I must be the slowest poster ever. Whilst trying to explain things without pictures, Nitroman has the solution and a presented a problem (and the fix) that I had forgotten about.

Doh, I can't believe I did not think to do this! Such an obvious solution in hindsight, and I'm using a level skip marker for the frieze level so no one will ever see those gaps anyway.

Thank you both, it looks perfect now. :D

(also did you know that using level skip markers in every building in town makes it way nicer to view inside of them)
Mad Poster
#12081 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I quite often fall in love with people across a crowded room, and then when I put my glasses on I realise the error of my ways!

You're doing just fine if this action is still reserved for people though. Have you ever started to ask what turned out to be a statue or a coat rack to dance or if they would like a drink from the bar?

...A few stops later, she got off, turning around and looked at me one last time before she walked out that door. I never saw her again, but that look on her face... stayed with me all these years

That's a sweet story. But If I had been the one telling it, it probably would have ended with an admission that apparently I forgot to put my trousers on again before leaving the house that morning.
Field Researcher
#12083 Old 3rd Sep 2021 at 1:16 AM
My Scientist sim Earned enough lifetime happiness points to get mermaid kelp. After eating it, I had her prepare potions at the chemistry lab, and she hasn't had an explosion once! (Methinks because mermaids cannot be singed)

EDIT: nevermind. She just had an explosion.
Scholar
#12084 Old 4th Sep 2021 at 11:44 PM
I discovered today that, even if you have the celebrity system deactivated, sims can still be publicly disgraced.

Some of mine are currently visiting France, and when they are staying at a base camp I always make sure to have it deactivated, because paparazzi have a bad habit of coming into rooms and standing there all night, taking pictures and scribbling things on a pad. I did briefly re-activate it earlier on, so one of them could get a discount on an incense burner (normally around 1250 freaking simoleons for one of those things! But she got it for free - just for being famous). But, anyway, the system was definitely deactivated when the supposed 'offense' took place. And what was this heinous crime? Woohooing in public. Oh FFS they were in an upstairs bedroom at the base camp, I don't call that very public!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#12085 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 1:57 AM Last edited by igazor : 5th Sep 2021 at 4:00 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
And what was this heinous crime? Woohooing in public. Oh FFS they were in an upstairs bedroom at the base camp, I don't call that very public!

You may have noticed this, but Base Camp is a Community Lot designation. Any expectations of privacy are a mere fantasy. If you want privacy, build an igloo, or use a leaf pile or an elevator in one of your fancy shmancy office buildings back home and stop insulting our wildly exaggerated local sensitivities.
Scholar
#12087 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 11:49 AM
To disable paparazzi:

NRaas > Register > Global Roles > Allow Paparazzi.
Change the default setting from "True" to "False"

Now even if you're a celebrity, there's nobody to hound you day and night. Mind you, there still are other inconveniences, such as being interrupted for an autograph or whatnot, but even those can be set to no autonomy in Retuner.
Scholar
#12088 Old 6th Sep 2021 at 4:08 AM Last edited by Elynda : 6th Sep 2021 at 4:52 AM. Reason: correcting
@ Moraelin - thanks, I'll try that next time I send celebrities to France, China or Egypt. Which I shall probably be doing soon.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Forum Resident
#12089 Old 8th Sep 2021 at 6:47 PM
A.I. Related

I discovered that some of my male Sims take advantage of being a part of procreation, meaning, I observed that if a male Sim does not want to have a child even though the female initiates try for a baby then it will result in no pregnancy no matter how many times they try for a baby. Also, this was all autonomous behavior on high free-will so I did not direct these particular Sims to try for a baby. When he did try for a baby autonomously there was the baby chime, afterwards he walked away smiling. Right, only on his terms is what I deduce. For a moment, I thought because they are in China that maybe the baby chime does not sound but no that is not true. Just that pregnancy will not advance until she gets home. Though she did have her first pregnancy wish which was to eat pancakes.

A different scenario I experienced as well is when a different male Sim had a romantic interest who dislikes children but he autonomously used risky woohoo with her which resulted in her pregnancy with their fraternal twin daughters. That male Sim has the daredevil trait and intentionally got her pregnant. Based on his thought icon, it definitely seems it couldn't get any more clearer than being a power play. Especially how he turned around with that devious smile as he walked out of the room. Of course when she found out, she distanced herself from him. And when I say distanced, I mean she literally would not come home for days and somehow ended up locking herself into the dance club after closing hours. Whenever she did go home, she didn't stay long and/or avoided her romantic interest as she wanted nothing to do with him, naturally. He was irreverent to her stance but despite that as of now, she still seems to hold a fond place in her heart for him though they are no longer seeing each other. In fact, I notice she has become possessive over him. Maybe I was too hasty when I broke them up and should have allowed them more time to figure it out on their own...but what's done is done. Perhaps in the future they may get back together and this time actually become official. But to be honest, I don't think he's interested in commitment or at least not now anyway. He is a good father though so that's nice.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Field Researcher
#12090 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 1:25 AM
I discovered that you can include exclamation points in a sim's name. I'm currently playing as the "!" family!
Mad Poster
#12091 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stormcat3
I discovered that you can include exclamation points in a sim's name. I'm currently playing as the "!" family!

Can't wait to see the hyphenated surnames that might evolve when the !?%># family meets and starts marrying into the $&*~@<^ family.
Scholar
#12092 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 9:22 PM
I discovered today that the thumbnails cache in my Sims 3 folder, which I'd previously taken little heed of, was taking up 338 Mb. I opened both the CASThumbnails and ObjectThumbnails files and found that there were thumbnails in there for lots of things that I uninstalled long ago. So all this time, as I've been installing cc or uninstalling cc, those caches have been growing larger and larger, retaining thumbnails of everything I've ever had in the game! I deleted both files, played the game for a few hours. and then checked the new thumbnail caches the game had created. It is now down to 20 Mb. I don't know what difference, if any, that will make to performance but I do like to keep things neat and tidy.

Scholar
#12094 Old 13th Sep 2021 at 9:13 PM
Ah, so that's some improvement then. Right now, I'm using an HDD. When I (eventually) get a better computer, it'll be SSD. Mean time I shall look into the matter of ramdisks. I'm determined to do everything I can to improve performance. The Smooth Patch has worked wonders, but there's still room for improvement.

Many thanks.

Scholar
#12096 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 5:16 PM
I'll also reiterate my recommendation to set LargeSystemCache to 1 if you have a lot of RAM. Like, 16 GB or more. (Well, you can try with less, but it's unlikely to help a lot.) It's under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" in the registry editor. Or just search for LargeSystemCache.

Essentially what it does is force Windows to allow every last byte of memory that's not actually allocated to a program, to be used as disc cache. Should work pretty much like a ram disk, if you have enough memory.
Field Researcher
#12097 Old 26th Sep 2021 at 4:38 AM
I learned today by accident that if you hold an object and then click Ctrl+Shift, and then click on the ground, it duplicates it.

I was like omg what did I do in a scary tone, then I was like omg what did I do as in "let me try that again that would be useful in the future" lol!
Field Researcher
#12099 Old 26th Sep 2021 at 12:49 PM
What do you mean? Like when a sim is holding a puppy?

Nope, when editing a community lot, I held a desk and clicked ctrl+shift (I intended to copy the script at that time but didn't realize I was still holding the item) , then clicked on the floor, it duplicates the item you were already holding.
Page 484 of 490