Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 7:36 PM
Default Hair Texture Help
So recently I was going to start making some hair meshes specifically for the Sims Medieval, but before I would do it I needed to see the size difference so I resized a default sims 3 hair in milkshape by 0.95 in the X Y and Z axis's

I did it for All of the require LOD's and it was fine, I picked a bumpmap, with the original hair texture and then saved the package and reloaded it in the Unitool. It looked fine ,the texture showed up and all

When I converted it to a TSM Hair using the usual S3PE method, I did it the same as allprevioudly converted hairs, which I hadn't resized and which weren't by me.

When I put it in the game it showed up but the hair thumbnail was bald and when I clicked it it took on the colour of the accesory and had no texture.

Sometimes I would click a different hair and then click back to mine, the best texture I got was when I clicked back from another custom hair but it was missing sections at the back.

Image:

After this I tried it with the stubly haicut and It was completely full but there was not a texture to it.

Image:

The size however, I'm happy to say was right.

Is this maybe to do with the bumpmap or the actual LODS or is this just a case of a hair that is not meant to be converted?
Has anyone experianced this before?

Thank You!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by windsaver
So recently I was going to start making some hair meshes specifically for the Sims Medieval, but before I would do it I needed to see the size difference so I resized a default sims 3 hair in milkshape by 0.95 in the X Y and Z axis's

I did it for All of the require LOD's and it was fine, I picked a bumpmap, with the original hair texture and then saved the package and reloaded it in the Unitool. It looked fine ,the texture showed up and all

When I converted it to a TSM Hair using the usual S3PE method, I did it the same as allprevioudly converted hairs, which I hadn't resized and which weren't by me.

When I put it in the game it showed up but the hair thumbnail was bald and when I clicked it it took on the colour of the accesory and had no texture.

Sometimes I would click a different hair and then click back to mine, the best texture I got was when I clicked back from another custom hair but it was missing sections at the back.

Image:

After this I tried it with the stubly haicut and It was completely full but there was not a texture to it.

Image:

The size however, I'm happy to say was right.

Is this maybe to do with the bumpmap or the actual LODS or is this just a case of a hair that is not meant to be converted?
Has anyone experianced this before?

Thank You!

It sounds similar to the clothing texture problem. Converting seems to make the clothing texture lose a LOT of it's original texture definition, and some show up in CAS almost shiny. I don't know how to fix it though, sorry.
Have you tried converting the original version of the hair and seeing how that shows up in CAS, if it's the same then it rules out being the changes you made to the mesh.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 2:04 AM
It appears that it looks bad when I just convert it too I have also tried it with others normal sims 3 hairs, store bought hairs seem to work but default ones all look like that... Interesting Maybe it is something wrong with the actual package

here's an image of the package if anyone think it looks wrong, in my experience generally hairs have more IMG file in the package than just one...

Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 6:49 AM
I have noticed this problem from time to time with the hairs I converted. Some do this and some do not, it seems like the more shiny the hair the worse the problem, and it also seems like blonde hair converts easiest for some reason. I did find that some of them you can correct by changing the color in CAS and then saving it. Hope this helps. I am glad that you can resize them, my computer does not seem capable of it. Lately in fact it is not capable of much at all, I can not even use S3PE anymore... thank you so much microsoft for your buggy patches that can not be removed. Sorry, I should not rant.
Scholar
#5 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Silverprinz
I have noticed this problem from time to time with the hairs I converted. Some do this and some do not, it seems like the more shiny the hair the worse the problem, and it also seems like blonde hair converts easiest for some reason. I did find that some of them you can correct by changing the color in CAS and then saving it. Hope this helps. I am glad that you can resize them, my computer does not seem capable of it. Lately in fact it is not capable of much at all, I can not even use S3PE anymore... thank you so much microsoft for your buggy patches that can not be removed. Sorry, I should not rant.

It's a problem with textures between the 2 games. Lots of TS3 textures look shiny in TSM, clothing as well. I think TSM is more detailed than TS3, so there's probably a difference between the 2 games files, I don't know what it is though and I don't know how to correct it. You could always try linking it to an existing TSM texture that's similar, and see how that looks, at worst you'll have to make your own I guess....and I am just guessing.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Oct 2022 at 4:22 PM
Yes, I know I'm responding to a lot of dead threads but there are people who still play the game and I actually have the answers now to some of the questions here.

It's the specular map that controls the shine. If you want no shine at all, make the specular map pure black. If you want a little shine, make it dark grey. The darker the colors the less the shine. White makes things extremely shiny like chrome. The Sims Resource had a lot of tutorials. You have to go to Wayback Machine to find them these days. Here's the link.

As for why hairs pick up the texture of accessories. I'm not sure what causes that, actually. In the Sims 4, there's a CAS map that all CAS items must be mapped to. Sims 3 has a similar map. If any UV islands of a mesh are overlapping the areas of the map they're not supposed to then that item will pick up the texture of another item. For instance, in TS3 you've no doubt seen dresses or other clothing that pick up the texture of shoes. That's because the dress's UV islands are overlapping into the area meant for shoes. Really, it happens because some creators are careless and don't realize that 1) there is a CAS map they should not ignore and 2) all CAS items must be mapped to a designated location on the map. They don't pay attention to this fact and just stick their UV islands wherever and then there are overlapping and texture issues.

Here is the TS4 CAS map.

Here's the TS3 CAS map.

Unless I'm mistaken, in the Sims 3 accessories don't use a CAS map so I don't know why a hair would pick up the texture of an accessory. I mean, it would definitely be because of UV islands overlapping, I just don't know how the UV islands would overlap in the first place given that hair and accessories don't require the CAS map. I do know that many TS3 hairs are mapped on top of the area for TSM eyes, and that's why you get the red eye bug with some hairs. You could either fix the UV layout, which would require remaking the texture, or you could just use the contacts that Chickieteeta made.