Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Doctors Need Degrees

by KittyCarey Posted 10th Jun 2021 at 5:45 PM - Updated 27th Mar 2024 at 11:56 AM by KittyCarey

83 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 71 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 4
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 6:05 PM
I've been wanting this for my legacy. Oh, the aspiration failures to be had.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator THANKS POST
#3 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 9:57 PM
This looks fun! Can't wait to try this mod out. :lovestruc
And yeah, it's kinda weird that a sim can literally become a mad scientist and doctor with no degree at all... so, thanks for fixing this!
Inventor
#4 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 6:37 AM
Ohhh I love this! Trying it out ASAP. For Sims who already have a job but not a degree (like premades), they'll keep their job, right? Since I'm assuming this only affects promotions...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 7:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by annachibi
Ohhh I love this! Trying it out ASAP. For Sims who already have a job but not a degree (like premades), they'll keep their job, right? Since I'm assuming this only affects promotions...

This only affects promotions, so premades etc. will keep their jobs. They just won't be able to be promoted, and if they get demoted they won't be able to be promoted back to where they were.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#6 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 2:44 PM
This is great! I'm definetely trying it out!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 3:37 PM
Love the idea of this! Brings a nice dose of realism into the game. Thank you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 6:50 PM
I've been using Edukashun Iz Gud for a (short) while but this one makes more sense for my taste. Can't wait to try it out!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 5:06 PM
This is BEAUTIFUL!!! I wonder if it will be compatible with Lazy Duchess' SP...that would be perfection.
Test Subject
#10 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 7:23 PM
This is compatible with Traits Projects mods?? Please i need this in my game
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 1:20 AM
I got it as soon as i saw it!! I really loved the idea of this mod but i notice something else while in game, since i got the mod i got a sim that goes to work in his own car got a blank pop up that is supposed to be that "Sim should be at work in 1hour". I started having this after getting this mod so i decided to ask here if is indeed related to this mod... Thanks in advance!!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandaMM
I got it as soon as i saw it!! I really loved the idea of this mod but i notice something else while in game, since i got the mod i got a sim that goes to work in his own car got a blank pop up that is supposed to be that "Sim should be at work in 1hour". I started having this after getting this mod so i decided to ask here if is indeed related to this mod... Thanks in advance!!

It shouldn't be this mod, but it's possible as this mod has replaced a few of the files the game uses for work messages. What expansions are you using? Do you have any other job-related mods, particularly ones that introduce new text messages in the game?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RueOne
This is compatible with Traits Projects mods?? Please i need this in my game

I can sort of answer this one - it's compatible with Traits Projects mods that aren't changing work rules. There is a big mod that changes how likely sims are to get promoted based on relevant traits that isn't compatible with this one - if it says it isn't compatible with Edukashun iz Gud, it isn't compatible with this.

However, making a mod that does both is probably not that complicated - and I'm happy for a joint version to exist. Get in touch with the creator of that mod and ask if they'd be ok with it, and I'm happy to make an update.
Test Subject
#14 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
It shouldn't be this mod, but it's possible as this mod has replaced a few of the files the game uses for work messages. What expansions are you using? Do you have any other job-related mods, particularly ones that introduce new text messages in the game?

I know i have 3 custom careers plus one set that adds NPC jobs as careers, but in this case my sim was a doctor. I also use the traits project, but i don't remember exacly wich mods i got because i remember avoiding some at time to avoid conflicts. Also i'm playing the UC. When i play in other households i'll see if the pop up still caming blank for other sims.
Test Subject
#15 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 1:02 AM
I can sort of answer this one - it's compatible with Traits Projects mods that aren't changing work rules. There is a big mod that changes how likely sims are to get promoted based on relevant traits that isn't compatible with this one - if it says it isn't compatible with Edukashun iz Gud, it isn't compatible with this.

However, making a mod that does both is probably not that complicated - and I'm happy for a joint version to exist. Get in touch with the creator of that mod and ask if they'd be ok with it, and I'm happy to make an update.

Oh, that would be fantastic! Unfortunately, hexagonal-bipyramid has been inactive since October last year, so I really don't know how you could contact her, one way or the other, if you decide to do the update I'll wait patiently!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 4:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RueOne
Oh, that would be fantastic! Unfortunately, hexagonal-bipyramid has been inactive since October last year, so I really don't know how you could contact her, one way or the other, if you decide to do the update I'll wait patiently!

Then I will work on a set of instructions for editing it yourself - but you might have to wait a while for it I'm afraid until I have time. You'll need SimPE.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 2:24 PM
This would be wonderful, but since adult Sims can't go back to college like they can in real life, this is a bit more limiting than I'd like. If there was a mod that would allow adult Sims to get their degrees later, I'd be all for this.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 7:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Handman50
This would be wonderful, but since adult Sims can't go back to college like they can in real life, this is a bit more limiting than I'd like. If there was a mod that would allow adult Sims to get their degrees later, I'd be all for this.

There is a mod around called "Adults Go To College" that lets adult sims move to the university subhood and do a degree, but I agree that's not perfect. My next project is trying to make a way for adults or elders to take degrees online - but that's a big project that will take me a long time!

Depending on which career you're trying to work in, this isn't as limiting as you might think. As long as their final high school grade was reasonable, any of the careers that a diploma is useful for are perfectly possible to reach the top of, if slightly slower than a sim with some university qualifications - and those plus the three careers with no educational requirements make up almost half the careers.
Test Subject
#19 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 12:39 PM
This mod is awesome! I have some customs careers though and I understand that it´s not working with them, which i really like because these custom careers are maxis npc jobs, e.g. gardener, maid etc and it doesn´t make sense for them to be capped at certain level. However, for some reason whenever my sim looks for a job and custom job is offered the game throws an error. Is this what was meant by conflict with custom careers?

Edit: I have attached the error log just in case.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  ObjectError_SHBA_t763718.txt (80.1 KB, 7 downloads)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RheiaM
This mod is awesome! I have some customs careers though and I understand that it´s not working with them, which i really like because these custom careers are maxis npc jobs, e.g. gardener, maid etc and it doesn´t make sense for them to be capped at certain level. However, for some reason whenever my sim looks for a job and custom job is offered the game throws an error. Is this what was meant by conflict with custom careers?

Edit: I have attached the error log just in case.

There is now an updated version that allows custom careers and doesn't throw errors (I hope). Please redownload and delete your old version.

Custom careers will all be the diploma is useful category. If anyone wants to have a custom career in another category I have made instructions, but MTS isn't letting me upload .docx or .pdf files so I can't upload it. Send me a PM if you want them and I'll see if I can send them that way.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 1:40 PM Last edited by D.J.ELMME : 28th Jun 2021 at 2:32 PM. Reason: Terminology.
This is a great mod! Unfortunately, as far as I can tell through my testing, you need the UC or All Expansions (I have Base Game + EP1 installed only at the moment). When you try to "Find a Job" the jump bug occurs. I could be wrong though. Would be cool if there were seperate packages for each expansion that added careers. Maybe that would help with compatibility, not sure if it is possible though?

EDIT: Yes, as expected, it works fine with the Ultimate Collection, but not with Base Game + EP1.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Jun 2021 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by D.J.ELMME
This is a great mod! Unfortunately, as far as I can tell through my testing, you need the UC or All Expansions (I have Base Game + EP1 installed only at the moment). When you try to "Find a Job" the jump bug occurs. I could be wrong though. Would be cool if there were seperate packages for each expansion that added careers. Maybe that would help with compatibility, not sure if it is possible though?

EDIT: Yes, as expected, it works fine with the Ultimate Collection, but not with Base Game + EP1.

Thanks for letting me know - I have Ultimate Collection and therefore no chance to test for other combinations. The way the code is written should allow for missing expansions - did you download the Smarter EP Check from Cyjon? If that's not it, however, I don't think separate packages would help. If you upload an error report I can see where the error is occurring and see what I can do.

Also, does the jump bug occur every time you find a job (including different days/ households) or just sometimes? If just sometimes, can you try without the mod to see which career is being offered?
Test Subject
#23 Old 30th Jun 2021 at 2:20 PM
Thanks for letting me know - I have Ultimate Collection and therefore no chance to test for other combinations. The way the code is written should allow for missing expansions - did you download the Smarter EP Check from Cyjon? If that's not it, however, I don't think separate packages would help. If you upload an error report I can see where the error is occurring and see what I can do.

Also, does the jump bug occur every time you find a job (including different days/ households) or just sometimes? If just sometimes, can you try without the mod to see which career is being offered?

Hi, so I used Smarter EP Check with Ultimate Collection and Base Game + EP1. UC showed no errors and worked exactly as expected, Base Game + EP1 showed errors everytime.

Things I tested: "Find a Job"
- Multiple Sims in different households
- Different Days
- Newspaper
- Computer
- A Clean Neighbourhood
- No other packages

Attached is a log from my last session.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  ObjectError_N001_t604019.txt (96.1 KB, 7 downloads)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by D.J.ELMME
Hi, so I used Smarter EP Check with Ultimate Collection and Base Game + EP1. UC showed no errors and worked exactly as expected, Base Game + EP1 showed errors everytime.

Things I tested: "Find a Job"
- Multiple Sims in different households
- Different Days
- Newspaper
- Computer
- A Clean Neighbourhood
- No other packages

Attached is a log from my last session.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Thank you for testing this and uploading the log. Unfortunately I have bad news: the errors seem to be coming from the part of the code that unlocks the university careers for all sims that comes directly from Cyjon's mod, and I don't know how to make the compatible with just EP1.

The good news is that the rest of the mod should work without it - so I have attached a new version for you in this post. If you'd like to test out this one, please do and let me know if it works. If so, I can upload it on the main page for anyone else in your situation (and I'll work on understanding the issue with the standard version).
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  KittyCarey-DoctorsNeedDegrees-v1-1_noUnlockCheck.7z (19.9 KB, 7 downloads)
Test Subject
#25 Old 8th Aug 2021 at 10:57 PM Last edited by MintoNiccals : 8th Aug 2021 at 11:12 PM. Reason: solved my own problem
Love the idea of this mod.
I've had a problem since installing it though, my sim in the entertainment career (lvl 1) doesn't get any money, when coming home from work. this is the only new addition to my mod folder, so I'm assuming that this is the problem. There's no salary-popup either.
haven't had the chance to test any other sims or careers yet, since I don't have a lot of time to play atm.
I'm playing UC

Edit:
nvm turns out I'm an idiot
after looking throug my mod-folder a few times, it turns out I had the harder Jobs-mod installed in 2 different folders, and only deleted one of them... so uh... problem solved
Page 1 of 4