Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 8:26 PM
Default Does anyone use the roommate feature?
I'm curious. I think I used it ONCE when AL was first released, but I've never used it since. Do you guys like it? How do you use it?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 8:27 PM
Can you use roommates when you own a house?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Can you use roommates when you own a house?

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's just for apartments.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 8:41 PM Last edited by maxon : 24th Apr 2016 at 10:17 PM.
I don't use it because the game spawns lots of possible roomates when you put the advert out, not just one or even three to choose from but lots. Bloats your neighbourhoods characters folder.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#5 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 8:54 PM
I've made townies that I had prior relationships with as roommates that has worked really well. The only draw back is that it becomes kind of awkward if you decide to make your roommate part of your family for whatever reason.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 9:10 PM
I love the roommates, they always try to sleep in my sims beds and eat all of the food. I have to lock doors to keep them under control, and I always give them a silly makeover. And perhaps a silly name too!
Theorist
#7 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 9:46 PM
No! I would not live with strangers in real life, so my sims should not have to do it either.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Forum Resident
#8 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 10:10 PM
Love them - Makes variety in my game. Very few sims have them, but they provide company for my single sims who are just starting out. Once had one, who didn't have a proper bed and slept in a hammock in the front room. She was a party sim who never slept, which turned the house into a party place that kept my poor shy artist sim awake.
#9 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 10:25 PM
I use them alot more now that I have the no spawned neighbors apartment mod. So since all my families that live in apartments don't have the AL neighbors the roommates make for good background sims to make it feel more full. It also helps for the single sim living in a 2,000 rent apartment to have 2-3 roommates and keeps their share of rent doable since each roommate pays a portion of it. If you also have the mod that enables to ask to make anyone a roommate you can then pick who you want as a roommate which is great for storylines.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 10:40 PM
No, my units are far too tiny.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 11:21 PM
Like SingleClaw I use a mod by Squinge to enable Sims to have more than one roommate found here. I love roommates! It's such a great way to give a household more life, without having to control a bunch of Sims. I also recommend the smart beds mod, as I find that makes it much easier to get roomies to go to sleep in their bed rather than take a nap on the sofa or run errands. You'll have to direct them to use the bed the first time (boolprop controlpets on allows you to control roomies), and perhaps remind them once in a while, but most of the time they'll use their bed autonomously. Another essential mod for roommate fun is DiLight's Propose/...Be Roommate to anyone-mod, which lets you ask any townie to be your roommate. That whole announce for one via phone has been borky for me, so I always have my Sims pick their roommates amongst people they meet at community lots. More fun picking them yourself than getting random suggestions from the game

There are many reasons why I love roomies. Aside from the obvious reason such as reducing rent for the playable (SingleClaws, are you sure you get more rent reduction with more roomies? I don't, and I believe I saw Squinge mention somewhere that it does not reduce it further. I'd love to hear about it if you found a way to get it to adapt to multiples), there's so much fun to be had. Here's a post I made back in 2015 about Max Flexor and his three roomies.

For me to enjoy my game, it's important to have lots of different kinds of characters. To me, my Sims have personalities beyond the simple 10-point scale and aspiration that the game views them as. They have nationalities, and a culture to match that nationality. Max Flexor, as I wrote in the post, I perceive as an american that is extremely extrovert. Don't most of us have that one friend that really can't stand being alone, that kind of needs people around to function at all? To me, Max is that person. He'd be miserable on his own, he needs the noise and the laughing and the socializing. Popularity Sims have such massive social-decay, gets obnoxious if they live alone, and not everyone is suited to get married right away or have a family. Roommates! Have a fortune Sim that things material things are all that matters, but not quite the funds for that luxury apartment downtown? Roommate(s)! Have a family Sim with a crush they don't have the guts to confess? Propose roommate! Do you like big households but find them difficult to control? Roommates! Are you bored while your Sim is at work? Get a roommate with a different job schedule, and play the roomie while your Sim is at work!

I lucked out with Max's roomies, they had lots of personality and character from the start. Not all townies are as fun, but if so just use controlpets to encourage them. Once you make them do something a couple of times, they'll catch on and start doing it by themselves. But if you do find a good one, or train them to be good, it can be a blast

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Theorist
#12 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 11:25 PM
No, because I don't play apartments.
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I love the roommates, they always try to sleep in my sims beds and eat all of the food. I have to lock doors to keep them under control, and I always give them a silly makeover. And perhaps a silly name too!

This right here. I always make them look stupid. And sometimes I integrate them into the family. I have had several malfunctions with roomies though, so watch yourself.

Also with BOOLPROP CONTROLPETS on you can control them almost completely. That cheat also works with people you take on vacation with you. Apparently the game can't tell them apart from ANIMALS.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
#14 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 11:57 PM
@ gummilutt I could be wrong but as it had been my first time doing it I threw 2 roomies in with a sim i had living in that real small trailer (The one next to the long one on the left of the lot) and from what I can remember the rent my sim paid was more than halved so I had assumed each moved in roomie took a slice of the rent I might have to test it to be sure it wasn't a fluke. I also don't use Pescado's AL fixes so I couldn't say whether that affects it or not as well regarding rent.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 12:23 AM
There are other things that affect the rent. There's a networking perk to get lower rent by 10%, and if you get close with the landlord you can get 10% or 25% depending on level (friend/romantic involvement vs BFF status). Perhaps you had one of those without noticing?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=DezzyBoo]This right here. I always make them look stupid. And sometimes I integrate them into the family. I have had several malfunctions with roomies though, so watch yourself.

How do you do that? I'm never able to ask them to become part of the fam using the move-in feature. They don't seem to show up in simblender or the teleporter cat. I have to kick them out, then teleport them in and have them become part of the family.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#17 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
[QUOTE=DezzyBoo]This right here. I always make them look stupid. And sometimes I integrate them into the family. I have had several malfunctions with roomies though, so watch yourself.

How do you do that? I'm never able to ask them to become part of the fam using the move-in feature. They don't seem to show up in simblender or the teleporter cat. I have to kick them out, then teleport them in and have them become part of the family.

yeah that is what i've had to do its kind of annoying.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
#18 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 12:39 AM
I don't normally let my sims socialize with the landlord unless I feel he'd be decent enough to later add into the family which is hardly ever.

I have had the networking rent reduced thing a couple of times but not on that lot with those sims. Next weekend I'm going to test it again and see what happens. I don't have any apartments going at the moment.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 12:55 AM
I've had two roommates in Drama Acres, and both have become important parts of the story. Phoenix McClellan made a huge mess among the Tricous before stunning the entire neighborhood by marrying homewrecker Georgette Skirt and fathering her child Chase (in that order, yet! Who'd've thunk it?), and Skylar Todd is also mixed up with Georgette and the Tricous, not to mention the Swingin' Bachelors, despite being a fairly shy Knowledge sim. Derek Zarubin (The Black Tricou) fell for him very hard and married him to help him take care of his alien hybrid daughter Estella, aka "Estella! The Cutest Kid in Drama Acres!"

After that, since Drama Acres is already huge, I've been reluctant to add more. I don't need new sims catching my interest there.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Undead Molten Llama
#20 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 1:26 AM
I use it occasionally, when/if the apartment has a spare bedroom. But I prefer them to be controllable so when I have one I turn on the controlpets cheat, like DezzyBoo said. Otherwise, I don't like the way they won't sleep in a bed or feed themselves and all that. I like them when they're controllable. Otherwise, not so much.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#21 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 1:39 AM
I've never used it, but maybe I could try it for the lulz
Scholar
#22 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1

Huh. I've never had a problem with that, really. If you get them engaged then married, I think it happens automatically. As for regular moving in, apparently that doesn't work. I've tried it too, and it went bad real quick. So yeah, get married and they'll just poof in.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#23 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 4:21 AM
Both Skylar and Phoenix were moved in with the propose/move in feature. Perhaps there's a mod conflict? Or a fix for it that I have and don't know it?

As for changing how they look - the various gussy-up hacks, "give makeover" on the vanity or the makeover chair, and or OFB "Suggest outfit" should all work on roommates as well as on other NPCs.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#24 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 5:28 AM
I do not play apartments any longer, but when I did, I used it, and had some fun. The game will only spawn roomies if you play with empty hoods, it normally gives you a list of AL social townies to choose from (unmodded). The roomie feature is in my opinion the better options apartments have to offer.
Scholar
#25 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 2:48 PM
I used it once to get a spouse for my shy sim. I selected a woman from the applicants, she was an elder so I aged her down to adult and gave her a makeover. It was a good match and they soon had two bolts for each other. Good thing too, since I had made an apartment building like a dorm with double beds and communal kitchen and bathroom.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Page 1 of 3