Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#28101 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 3:37 AM
No, @kestrellyn I meant that if you want to move in other, non-student adults/elders; or if you want to move around between the subhoods, you would need a mod. Like let's say Angela goes to SSU but Dustin didn't and Angela is staying on campus after graduation to become a professor or something, but you still want her to marry and live with Dustin. I don't think you can just move Dustin in--for that, you'd probably need to use the Blender or something, right? Or say Dustin and Angela lived at SSU for a while, started a family, but then eventually moved back to Pleasantview. But then they divorce and Angela wants to go back to living on campus and work/retire there. Again, you'd probably have to use a mod to get her back there, moving her into another uni household temporarily before she can move out to the uni sim bin.

The way I understand it, is that once you're in uni, you can stay in uni, but to return to uni, or to move to a uni subhood, if you're not teen aging to YA is more complicated. I hope that makes sense/is more clear.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#28102 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
It's used for when a Sim has died and Grimmy comes to take their soul. You can cast the spell at that point, otherwise it's just grayed out and useless.

Unless you're actually trying to cast it while Grimmy is on your lot and it isn't available?

That's when I tried it, when else would I get the opportunity? Haha.
It was greyed out still so I'm still wondering. I guess I'll try with a witch that's maxed their goodness.

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Mad Poster
#28103 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
No, @kestrellyn I meant that if you want to move in other, non-student adults/elders; or if you want to move around between the subhoods, you would need a mod. Like let's say Angela goes to SSU but Dustin didn't and Angela is staying on campus after graduation to become a professor or something, but you still want her to marry and live with Dustin. I don't think you can just move Dustin in--for that, you'd probably need to use the Blender or something, right? Or say Dustin and Angela lived at SSU for a while, started a family, but then eventually moved back to Pleasantview. But then they divorce and Angela wants to go back to living on campus and work/retire there. Again, you'd probably have to use a mod to get her back there, moving her into another uni household temporarily before she can move out to the uni sim bin.

The way I understand it, is that once you're in uni, you can stay in uni, but to return to uni, or to move to a uni subhood, if you're not teen aging to YA is more complicated. I hope that makes sense/is more clear.

It worked for me to just ask them to move in, or at least it worked for Lucy Hanby. I imagine it probably works just as well with playables.
Top Secret Researcher
#28104 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
This is not so. I had an Apocalypse spouse who had the grow-up aspiration his entire life: he'd been the best friend of the heir in her childhood, and it just worked. They had two bolts and everything. (Now, I do have ACR and the assign sexual preference turned on, because I'm lazy and in an Apocalypse it makes it super easy.)

Hello, Sunbee, I don't have ACR and that is how it is in my game, "grow-up" townie teens reject every romantic interaction. I tried making them selectable, giving them platinum aspiration then sending them to the ReNuYu Orb, they invariably become Grilled Cheese sims. That's why I roll an aspiration and assign it to them myself.

I've never tried leaving them all their life like that, should they even manage to successfully age up to adults then elders in game, they most likely couldn't get married or have children.

Adult sims without an aspiration (I've had that bug) can't even have any interaction at all, and jump bug all over the place.

Calculating attraction scores is a big deal in the game, so I definitely wouldn't advise playing with messed up aspirations in regular gameplay, unless you're doing it for testing purposes, or you're not aware of the issue because something in your user files suppresses it, which seems to be the case with your game.
Forum Resident
#28105 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 1:43 PM
Yeah, I would imagine that sims with the "Grow Up" aspiration can cause issues when it comes to the game calculating attraction. As "Grow Up" doesn't have an attraction value towards other aspirations, due to it originally being assigned to Babies, Toddlers, and Children, who aren't capable of dating. The "Power" aspiration faces the same issue, because of the obvious reason that it wasn't finished.

I change a townie's aspiration after noticing that they're a "Grow Up" sim without being a child, so I've not experienced errors due to that. However, I have experienced errors due to the "Power" aspiration while messing around in Strangetown last year with Luc Smith, and the error was always about "Calculate Attraction Score." The errors stopped after I changed his aspiration. I will also add that I have ACR, and I did have it back then, too.

I imagine it would be the same for "Grow Up." However, I'd imagine it would depend on game setup, since players either encounter errors, or don't.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Alchemist
#28106 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 3:22 PM
This is so interesting--I don't think I've ever left a sim with the Grow Up aspiration long enough to discover issues with attraction or interaction. I always summon them over and change it. Anyway, I'm assuming sims with this are all gotten the same way--by aging a townie child to a teen? There are mods to help solve that, including Simler90's Aging Townie Aspiration Fix which lets you pick an aging townie child's aspiration and turn ons/off when transitioning into a teen.

And thanks, @kestrellyn--I use Inteen, so I've never used the mod and wasn't 100% sure how it worked. Lamare's description is pretty detailed, but I didn't see anything about move ins, or about move ins being already available, so I thought that maybe it wasn't possible.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Mad Poster
#28107 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pianogrinder
YAs and adults have always been romancable to each other. After all the YAs are technically adults with the teen voices and that's the only difference between them. That and they can go to college. Now if someone made a mod for adults to live in the YA university hoods that would be great.

===========
I didn't realize that!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#28108 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 10:05 PM
Not just YAs and adults, you can also romance YAs and elders, and sleeping with college professors is a very effective (if morally ewwwwww) way to improve grades.
Alchemist
#28109 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 10:28 PM
Is it though? I remember having to install a mod to increase the grade boost. Doing a term paper every semester is probably the best/easiest way to pass uni.

Mad Poster
#28110 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 10:35 PM
The easiest way to pass Uni is to fill up the skills necessary to open the gradebar, kick back, and enjoy yourself. Woohooing professors may be good for story or character development, but as a way to pass it's as pointless in the game as in real life. When Bad News Beverly woohooed a professor, all she got out of it was a C+ and a cheap stove. But it's possible she woohooed one for the wrong major.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#28111 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 10:42 PM
Well, when I say effective, I just mean it works, which is very helpful for me when I'm playing a Sim who flatly refuses to roll a want to write their term paper, but does want to make friends with their professor and go on a date.
Mad Poster
#28112 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 12:27 AM
And thanks, @kestrellyn--I use Inteen, so I've never used the mod and wasn't 100% sure how it worked. Lamare's description is pretty detailed, but I didn't see anything about move ins, or about move ins being already available, so I thought that maybe it wasn't possible.

I don't see anything in the mod about move-ins, either. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I used the regular move-in interaction or if I just married them with the marry-anyone arch and she moved in that way. I know for a fact that marriage works because I did that recently as well.

Also, all you have to do to pass uni is get enough skills to open the bar up to the halfway point and then go to class twice every semester + the final exam. You really don't have to do anything at all. I make all of my sims gain all the required skill points, but many don't do more than two classes and the final, if they don't want to.
Mad Poster
#28113 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 12:39 AM
I've had Pleasure sims with well-chosen majors who never went to class at all, just went to parties and dated and occasionally studied in the background, and made dean's list.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#28114 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 1:40 AM
Can some associated careers be hidden when choosing a major if you have too many careers? I'm reading that the Athletic career falls under the drama major but it doesn't actually show the symbol. I can only assume that's because I have quite a few custom careers taking up space there. Or I modded it in some way in the past and don't remember. Don't think I did.

Pic attached if I'm explaining poorly.
Screenshots

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Alchemist
#28115 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 3:59 AM
Bubblebeam, I think so.

If I wanted to upload an apartment lot, can each unit be exactly the same? (I really don't think I have the energy/creativity to decorate different units uniquely). And for those of you who do download lots like apartments, would you care? I'm asking because for me, 99% of the time I delete everything and redecorate again when I move sims in, so for when I make lots for personal use, I furnish sparingly.

Also, does anyone use cars? I've been making my apartments with parking lots, but, from some of the posts I see, I'm thinking I should include a version without it. Seems like most simmers have sims walk everywhere nowadays?

Field Researcher
#28116 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 8:22 AM
This feels like a really dumb question, but if I want to use a custom community phone or recolor (not a default), am I supposed to delete the old community phone? Or is there a different way around having two phones on the lot?
Mad Poster
#28117 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by glowstarsinajar
This feels like a really dumb question, but if I want to use a custom community phone or recolor (not a default), am I supposed to delete the old community phone? Or is there a different way around having two phones on the lot?

You can delete the phone. It doesn't do anything to have two phones on the lot because it's a marker of where pixels are supposed to arrive when they get there. A recolor is simpler-just use the color tool for a recolor and it'll change to the one you pick.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28118 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by glowstarsinajar

Just delete the game phone.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#28119 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 10:58 AM
This phone debacle raised a question, so if you arrive to a community lot with a taxi, the only way to get back is to use the community phone to call another taxi... but what if you delete that phone, and there are no cellphones or normal wall/table phones available?
Mad Poster
#28120 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 1:21 PM
If you arrive on a community lot by taxi, you can use any working phone to order another taxi. None of my Sims own a car (I don't have one either), and I don't have have the "Walk to Community Lot" option (came with Bon Voyage), so most of my Sims always travel to community lots by taxi. (A few own bicycles by mickyss, but even they often take taxis.) A few of my Sims have mobile 'phones (cellphones) and they can use either the payphone or their mobile to order a taxi to their next destination. Never having been a payphone vandal, I've never deleted or otherwise destroyed the lot's payphone, so I don't know what happens if you do.

My owned community lots often have two or more 'phones -- a payphone outside for the 'punters' -- and one or more ordinary 'phones inside for the owner and his/her family. Once the business has closed for the day, the owner (or family member) can user either the payphone or ordinary phone to order a taxi home (or to another lot if they prefer). If they had a mobile 'phone, that would probably work too.

The reason why so few of my Sims have mobile 'phones is that they came with University, and I added University quite late in my Simming career. Most of my Sims just have never got round to buying a mobile phone. Well, not yet anyway.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#28121 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 1:25 PM
Was there ever an equivalent for SimPE for Sims 1?
Mad Poster
#28122 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 1:57 PM
If the phone is missing, inaccessible, or unusable (in my retro game I tried a deco phone cover which I could not find a way to click around; the only option I got was "view" and of course no one has a mobile in a Depression neighborhood), you can't leave at all. The only way to escape is to quit to neighborhood and it's very frustrating; so don't ever delete the phone unless you're ready to replace it with something immediately, and make sure you don't block it!)

Mad Poster
#28123 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 3:39 PM
Conflict Detector - thought I would find more info, but need help with which one is best, how to use, etc. Lot of people have said it finds "possible" conflicts, other said no, what it finds ARE conflicts, but that doesn't always mean they don't work together. But also that loading order rarely is the problem, you just have to delete one. I got one by "pick N mix" - have left them message re how to use.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#28124 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 5:34 PM
...If I wanted to upload an apartment lot, can each unit be exactly the same?...I furnish sparingly.
Also, does anyone use cars? I've been making my apartments with parking lots...

Apts need to have basic furnishings to upload here on MTS. I usually pick an inexpensive furniture "set" (like the IKEA/Malm stuff) and do each apt the same - with a different 'color' theme for each apt, to differentiate it from the others. I assume people will redeco to their own sim's desires once they get the building in their games.

I like giving the option to have a car in an apt building. Cars are community property - any resident can drive it - unless it is in a 'private' garage (attached to a specific apt.) I've found it is best if you leave it to the DLer to add their own cars to the lot. Cars must be added before they move any resident in (unless it is a private garage.)

Just remember - if you have stairs inside the individual apartments, use the spiral ones!

I can't wait to see what you've built!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Field Researcher
#28125 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 6:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the phone help!

Back with another stupid question - I was wondering if anyone knows how often the default database is updated? I noticed on the stickied post there are comments from 4 months ago linking to defaults that haven't been added yet. (PS The sims community works FAST! I went there to link a couple of my own defaults and someone else already beat me to it )
Page 1125 of 1339