Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andes
Is it safe to delete sims once they exist and are known by other sims in the save?

Yes. You can delete sims at any time. You can even delete them and then re-add them, which comes in handy when you have bugged family ties (like the game seeing the spouse as a sibling).
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Oh yes, the Usenet groups and also Bulleting boards! I remember talking about SimCity and music on those.

I first heard about the Sims on Usenet - on RATSA (Rec.Arts.TV.Soaps.ABC). Several people were recreating their favorite soap towns, and torturing characters they disliked.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 11:54 AM
@SleepycatDSL Thank you, that is good to know.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#29 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 2:33 PM
It was the sims usenet group that finally prompted me to get the game, I think after about the 2nd EP was released. I wasn't really much of a player of video games in those days as I was more into programming and database design (yes a weird hobby I know). But I found it so hilarious reading about these little characters who died after a party as the game wouldn't let them enter house to get to the front door after the visit was over, and there was no gate in the back yard fence. I just had to see this for myself.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 2:07 PM
Death brings us all together!

I've not played a lot of video games either, just some Civ and Skyrim and a couple of puzzle games, and Final Fantasy. It's not really seen as adult entertainment here, at least in my social environment. The games proove it too, it's hard finding anything that doesn't revolve around encounter monster- hit monster-get stuff, and what is found is usually not very complex in terms of depth. Grinding is very intriguing in some pathologic way; but it is curious how this theme has been invented and been so long-lived. When I started to play TS3 it was such a relief that I didn't have to do anything decided by someone else, but could just fool around. TS4 really plays on that, the all-encompassing themes are there of course so they do level and you do grind, but everything is so easy that it's hard to say what the main theme for the game is, except to play around - but without any harsh limiting rules. It's a great idea for a game, not being a game, strictly speaking; and I wish there would be other game producers making similar products.
Scholar
#31 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 5:39 PM
I may have said it before but I don't like deaths in game. Everyone have their own style of playing the game, all respect to that, but I dont like it. The first thing I used to do when playing a new sim in TS2 was to turn aging off so that I got total controll of their age. And I soon discovered that sims would not die without me wanting it. TS3 was a better game in many ways but I soon get notices that townies have died out of my controll. Random townies who I eventually wanted to use in game but I lost for no reason... Perfectly useless! I'm the god in this game and if I want my sims to live forever it should be so! So I'm very glad that TS4 works like that. OK, sims can die here to but there is a chanse to prevent it. Or try to prevent it...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 5:54 PM
Yes, I like that too; I play rotational in my main save and the worlds are so many that I would never get to play any sim if I had aging on. I also set the sims up as characters there and not as generational pawns; and want complete control over what happens to them. I liked TS3, the story progression was slow playing without mods; but I like the closed world better, it suits the rotation gameplay and the style of utilizing the player perspective and not just being the audience.
Instructor
#33 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 6:00 PM
I tried every method to kill Sims in the original game I got in 2001 but am over that now! I just like them to enjoy their lives and come to a natural end. I put up fire alarms, fires and heating systems and everything to stop accidental deaths.

I suppose that comes with getting older oneself. I just wish Maxis would give us a cemetery. I wouldn't mind that horror lair under the mausoleum coming back though.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 9:26 PM
Hehe, when I first started to play the game I was horrified by the amount of player statements on killing their sims, and the many different ways it's possible to do so in gameplay; it just seemed a bit too excessive and unbalanced, the game being for children. Very hypocritical as well considering the lightweight take on other real life events and actions like intercourse, childbirth, sickness etc. I'd like a game where the serious side of life is more prominent.

I make my own cemeteries, and rather like the hassle free take on ghosts, I wonder if there is a reason to not include cemeteries, a lesson learned from TS3.
Smeg Head
#35 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 6:58 PM
Back in the day, I was hellbent on a particular notion in quantum physics, that our universe, "reality," was nothing more than a simulation. As an example, at the time, there was this new computer game called The Sims, that was actually used, referred to, in the scientific community as a comparative element to what a Simulated Universe, Simulated Life, Simulated Humans, could even begin to represent. (The Matrix movies were years away yet, what you gonna do?) So out of scientific curiosity, I played it. And, like anyone else here who started the game back then, I got hooked on it as a game, never mind the science.

The more I've played The Sims, the more iterations I've come to enjoy over two decades, has led me to one immutable fact regarding the theory "Our Universe is naught but a Simulation." Is that if our universe and our reality is a simulation at all, it is not for the purposes of a "Game." Otherwise we'd have all manner of Gandalfs, dragons, Trons and Jedi(s) as an everyday, normal occurrence of reality, which we would not bat an eyelid to, as Game Modders will inevitably make available. That if our reality is a simulation at all, then, - not a game - but as a quantifiable, algorithmic search into how a primitive civilization can either strengthen or weaken its standing, its very planet, existence and evolution, though a period of mass industrialization and the logistics and resource management that entails. If the Multiverse is a "thing" in this simulation experiment - and I cannot see why it would not be - then there is very likely a Planet Earth that has been doing very well with all this, real champions of resource management, logistics and deployment over the last nine or ten decades. They are the model to follow. We, however, are the poor example, The very poor algorithm. They only keep our failed program running to see just how far it falls to ultimate failure. Cheers everyone, you all played your part, at least we had a use in our united mindlessness after all..

But back to The Sims? Fuck it, Fantastic. Beyond science. I still play it. Just now waiting for them to go out and buy bog rolls en mass come the next patch to the algorithms where a threat to their existence is introduced. It's the logical thing to do, while emulating our smokey, carcinogenic, polluted, poisoned universe, at least.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Instructor
#36 Old 17th Sep 2021 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Back in the day, I was hellbent on a particular notion in quantum physics, that our universe, "reality," was nothing more than a simulation. As an example, at the time, there was this new computer game called The Sims, that was actually used, referred to, in the scientific community as a comparative element to what a Simulated Universe, Simulated Life, Simulated Humans, could even begin to represent. (The Matrix movies were years away yet, what you gonna do?) So out of scientific curiosity, I played it. And, like anyone else here who started the game back then, I got hooked on it as a game, never mind the science.

The more I've played The Sims, the more iterations I've come to enjoy over two decades, has led me to one immutable fact regarding the theory "Our Universe is naught but a Simulation." Is that if our universe and our reality is a simulation at all, it is not for the purposes of a "Game." Otherwise we'd have all manner of Gandalfs, dragons, Trons and Jedi(s) as an everyday, normal occurrence of reality, which we would not bat an eyelid to, as Game Modders will inevitably make available. That if our reality is a simulation at all, then, - not a game - but as a quantifiable, algorithmic search into how a primitive civilization can either strengthen or weaken its standing, its very planet, existence and evolution, though a period of mass industrialization and the logistics and resource management that entails. If the Multiverse is a "thing" in this simulation experiment - and I cannot see why it would not be - then there is very likely a Planet Earth that has been doing very well with all this, real champions of resource management, logistics and deployment over the last nine or ten decades. They are the model to follow. We, however, are the poor example, The very poor algorithm. They only keep our failed program running to see just how far it falls to ultimate failure. Cheers everyone, you all played your part, at least we had a use in our united mindlessness after all..

But back to The Sims? Fuck it, Fantastic. Beyond science. I still play it. Just now waiting for them to go out and buy bog rolls en mass come the next patch to the algorithms where a threat to their existence is introduced. It's the logical thing to do, while emulating our smokey, carcinogenic, polluted, poisoned universe, at least.

I've been forced to stop playing for a time because of RSI (I think) and have started watching videos on YouTube instead. One of Linda Moulton Howe's Earthfiles guests recently had apparently worked out how to get through a "portal" in South America and learned that some scientists in another universe had created us accidentally and didn't know how to prevent our universe encroaching on theirs! They were puzzled by life being created in ours. I hope he's just another hoaxer! Sort of thing some mad scientists might do here though!
Field Researcher
#37 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 6:11 AM
The best thing I can say about Sims 4 is that the work of the modders has allowed me to shape the game into a much deeper experience than I ever figured it could be. The same is true of Sims 2 and 3, but TS4's modders have had more space to fill in, and they've done so admirably. I know--they shouldn't have had to do so much to flesh out the game. Modders shouldn't have had to make Sims 3 even playable, either, or Sims 2 durable, so that's always just going to be a fact.
Instructor
#38 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 7:31 PM
There are so many Simmers wanting to go in different directions in their gameplay I don't see much fault in providing the main framework so that modders can then take them in varying directions according to their own taste. That main framework still has to be suitable for the over 13s and not the over 18s though.

I doubt if EA had much faith in Sims 4 after their online version came to nothing and that's why the Base game was rushed and unfinished. They expected it to fail, sell some copies to recoup losses, but it didn't.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 3:39 PM
My plan for Strangerville is taking form - and what worked very well with the game was the military camp, with the service sims Military Personnel as roommates to one active sim in the Officer career; having a club for exercising in the camp, and editing the roommates in Manage Households UI to make them Like workouts and electronic music.. The mental hospital also fitted the heights in Strangerville excellent; the UL roommate act of changing clothes, crying in bed, running around at all hours, and with some added intake of bizarre fruit and a Conspiracy Theorist the active sim self-employed psychologist has their hands full, I'm very pleased and immersed. No mods, just game mechanics.

Bletchley Park did not turn out so well - the Covert Operator career is in my game intruding on the meant-to-be-Strangerville-Hero's assignments which I have another household in mind for, and the roommates: the Librarian for the Strangerville Archive and the NPC Scientists, just make it silly by having the wrong roommate traits for the setup. I'm thinking of giving them more appropriate ones by cheat, but that means I would have to cheat, which I want to avoid. I might just have to drop the idea of having roommates in that household, and exchange them for some active sims hackers instead; they are just a back drop anyway to an imagined state of life for some chosen sims to live in, or for me to enjoy the making of.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 7:00 AM
The Sims 4 probably has my favorite CAS iteration, to be honest. I spend more time just dicking around in CAS seeing what kind of sims I can make than playing the actual game, so I can at least give it that much

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 10:48 AM
Yes, I really like the genderblend and all the options it opens up for making sims.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 12:36 PM
Ngl, TS4 Hacks is the only thing that tempts me to play it, just for shits & giggles or new gameplay.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#43 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 5:22 AM
Talking about CAS, I also find it very useful that there is a Full edit mode so I can change the personality of the premade/autogenerated sims. I mean, the sims 4 worlds is not exactly any 50K people communities, I myself have at max 115 out of (recomended) 150 sims in a install and how there can be so many criminal (and/or) evil (and/or) hot headed (and/or) unreliable people, um Sims, in the same place is a mystery. I play to have fun, not to have my sims get attaced by scumbags every 5 minutes. It's very nice that this cheat exists.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 29th Sep 2021 at 3:52 PM Last edited by andes : 29th Sep 2021 at 7:52 PM.
A tip:
EA Help fixed their bug reporting for TS4 on their website:

https://help.ea.com/en//
Contact Us > Select the game > Plattform > Select topic (Report a bug) > Select issue (Report a bug) > Select contact option - fill out the form with information valid. and email them. A confirmation ticket is sent to your registered email.

You need to be logged in. Don't report bugs on a modded game.

Edit To Add:
I thought perhaps the "Disagree" button was to state that this was not possible - so I tried it again, since EA Help website is not functioning properly most of the time; but I was able to send another bug report, for a new bug, this way. Perhaps logging in before starting the path makes the options come up differently. Otherwise I think telling EA Help about their website being dysfunctional would be another good tip.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 3:27 PM Last edited by andes : 16th Oct 2021 at 3:42 PM.
@LucieSims
I saw your question about Henford-on-Bagley, in another thread, I will answer you here though, to not derail that thread.

I don't focuse on the negative, so while I do get that the festival is a bit underwhelming, that's not why I bought the pack, as I figured it would not be the most thought through feature. The world is very pretty and I like the new garden additions, it makes it possible to create sims and play a farmer setup. I also remade the demographics since I wanted it to reflect the countryside I know, and I know next to nothing about the english one, nor do I care to. The new NPC roles are also possible to weave stories around, and the 'old-time' theme in CAS supports those. If you want I could give examples.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#46 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 8:22 PM Last edited by andes : 18th Oct 2021 at 6:34 PM. Reason: Updated link
Here's some development in the information contest!

EA gives info on their bug process, posted on AHQ - for now in the General Discussion and Feedback section for some reason; but EA_Arcadia, Admin and responsible for the 'volunteers' promised to move it to the bug report section on Monday, so look for it there next:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...w/td-p/10727753

And if there is anything unclear, and contested, in that post; here is a feedback thread to post in:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-D...10727751#M56224

Beware though, that the thread is monitored by EA_Cade, the Forum Manager responsible for referring bug reports to The Sims Team according to EA twitter customer service (if that is correct I do not vouch for), and also functions mostly as a moderator on the forum; so I guess my recommendation is to not post the way you post in this forum or reddit or whatever.
Forum Resident
#47 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 11:58 PM
I no longer care of the sims forum official anymore, this place annoys me so much in the end, people who hates the sims 4 or who are so much disappoint lost Respect towards the Gurus and towards the fans, such they are bitter. (that the same for the sims 3b by the way). And about Redditter I don't care of them.
Each people has got their own opinions about the sims 4 but in the end, they always have to close down the threats because people are in war each others. In fact, I just need help to enhance my experience with this game and that's always awesome to speak with fans because they open my mind.
I was kind of sad because my favourite town is still Willow Creek I still play in Willow Creek I don't have any interests in playing elsewhere and that's always a pleasure to play Festivals because they are rather well done in general in the sims 4, indeed I enjoy them a lot and I am probably the only weirdo to like them (as I am the only weirdo to have the Kathy Perry stuff pack and I like it very much) and to me they are better than the annoying celebrations, that's my own opinion. Full of people and some activities to do. But this time. That's why I shared my disapointement and I needed to read "positive" reactions to help me. I am not here to kill the sims 4 I still play it fortunately. I am here to heal my game because that's not usual to see a place without activities. Not in this game that the Sims are always chatting, moving and are very social. (I don't think they need the Social Bunny like TS2 people ahaha)
Each simmers got their own way to play this game, I choose to do not follow the lines. When an EP is out I do not rush on playing everything and exclusively this EP.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 12:32 AM
Oh, I really would have liked the TS3 Katy Perry pack for all the candy themed colourful objects! I played TS3 on Steam though, and it was not available there sadly.

I like TS4 Willow Creek, it may be slightly influenced by New Orleans; but the world is neutral enough to be able to project any kind of city theme on it. I've made it my 'garden state', a place for the gardeners, botanists, flower sellers, floral designers, and with a technical museum, a day care, a children's play ground and a vegetarian/halal restaurant. I plan to place a botanical garden, and a couple of engineer sims, and maybe do something with robots when I've played with that feature more.

It's a lot of fun playing with stereotypes, and in Henford-on-Bagley I'v made a milk farmer, a grumpy old dude living alone with just his cows to keep him company; I have a foxy lady in the woods, named Volpe (from latin vulpes for fox), that keeps llamas; and a farmer and her husband, growing the lands (and in the future a belly), which will sell their perfect plants in a retail I've made looking like an indoor market. I placed it in the center of the world, opposite from the pub.
All these sims will be the only ones to enter the festivals as contestants, but I will wait until they have raised the quality of their crafts. I think I'll just make the festival a little part of their lives, like a self promotion and confirmation. Since travelling to the festival loads the pub (Bar), a lot of sims come there, among them the ones I've made and placed in the world, instead of the premades (evicted). This makes the festivals more interesting and lively, the interactions influenced by my ideas. And also my sims look nice. I like the CAS addition of the hair with a shawl, it can be used as a diklo, a roma (married) woman hair cover, for instance.

I think that the prespective that will make the most out of the festivals, and the world and game as well, is to put your own stamp on it and use the features that are there to create something that is influenced by your own ideas and imagination.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 12:16 PM
I've altered Willow Creek so much with new builds that it no longer looks like the original Willow Creek ~ or maybe anywhere else for that matter. I had the Katy Perry pack ~ not that I liked Katy Perry, but I wanted the content for my game. What I loved the most about TS3 was the objects and drivable cars and rideable horses ~ as everybody knows none of which is in TS4. I've stated it a thousand times before, I'm not a happy camper with TS4 as I was with TS3, but I play it because of the graphics improvements (which I was told I should not love a game because of the graphics, but if the graphics are better why not?) I do not play festivals ~ don't really enjoy them. If it wasn't for Sacrificial's and others' mods, I wouldn't play TS4 at all.

Sorry haters. But as the saying goes "Haters will hate".

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 3:09 PM
I don't really know who Katy Perry is, I don't keep up with american teen culture; but the pack sure did look delicious...!
I don't miss cars, I liked the EL pack's focus on environmentalism, and I think cars are unnecessary in the game.
Horses got stuck everywhere in TS3, so I turned them off, but they were still there. I do not want that back. The lot trait and object version they've done in TS4 I think is a good middle ground; now I can choose where I'll have foxes, strays, bunnies etc, but the world is not overrun by them, and performance does not suffer.

I'd love to see pictures of the Willow Creek alterations.

@Gargoyle Cat Leave the moderation to the moderators. If a post breaks the rules, click the report button and explain why. Arguing, that is, starting a discussion about it in the thread, can be considered flaming and derailing, and is also against the rules.
Page 2 of 3