Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 5:02 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default When reinstalling, getting skuversion.txt errors base game and EP discs
Hi all, I've searched here, read the guidlines and also looked online but haven't found an answer to my specific problem so I hope it's okay to post this here.

When installing my game to a new SSD I'm getting a "skuversion.txt is corrupt or unreadable" error on the base game and most of the EPs. I installed up to Pets before I thought I should probably uninstall and try again and I got the same error. So I tried going into the discs on File Explorer and seeing if I could read them there, I've only been able to read the text file from Pets, Island Life, and all the SPs. I've copied them just in case.

I don't know if I'm able to continue without these skuversion files and patch the game as normal or if this is something that's going to cause an issue when I play. I can see that the info inside the text file is different for each one I can actually read, does anyone know what I should do? Could I make this file myself for the missing ones with the info I have? It seems really odd that it's only this file that's affected on some of my discs, they're stored carefully and I think the chances of a precise scratch causing this file to corrupt and no others on multiple discs is very low.

For info:
  • I uninstalled the game following best practices (checking the registry and clearing it, no folders were left behind).
  • I've reinstalled the game before with these discs with no errors, this is the first time I've come across it
  • I have the base game and all EPs/SPs
  • My PC is above the requirements for the game, I can run at max detail settings with no issues (I choose 3 detailed lots as personal preference)
  • Mods have been removed for the uninstall and I haven't introduced them yet as I hadn't finished reinstalling

Thanks in advance for the help.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 7:36 AM
May I ask why this must be an all disc install? If you own and have registered all of the discs (or can do so now), then you have the rights to an Origin install instead that shouldn't require use of the discs at all and Patch 1.69 is conveyed with no questions being asked.

I know an Origin controlled game is not what everyone wants, it's a nuisance and I'm glad I switched over to Steam to get rid of that overhead when I could a couple of years ago. But for most who require this, it does work and is easier to arrange than 21 disc installs and the subsequent patching.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 11:31 AM
I genuinely wasn't aware that I could install from Origin if I'd registered everything. I'll look at the mods I've got and see if they're compatible with 1.69 and what running through Origin entails.

I've not got a problem with using the discs because of habit and it means I always have access to my games. This file not being read is still an odd problem and I'd like to learn more about what it does and if there is a fix, but thanks so much for letting me know that I can still play my game with Origin. I'm going to do that after checking my mods (most are NRaas).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 6:45 PM
FYI, if a mod is designed to work with any of 1.66, 1.67, or 1.69 (and now 1.70 for Mac players), it will work exactly the same with all of them. None of the patches above 1.66 change the gameplay files. They do have different internal build numbers which can trigger the core version mismatch warning specifically for Core Mods, but there are only five TS3 Core Mods in popular usage -- NRaas ErrrorTrap happens to be one, but for that mod like the other developers we offer variants for the different patch levels that will suppress the startup warning. The other NRaas mods (excluding UntranslatedKey, which is an oddity) are not Core Mods and are all compatible.