Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2022 at 4:06 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Help with resort
I have the IP EP, and I created a resort. Everything is running as it should, except for when plumbing or other items need repair. The maintenance staff will mop up the puddle 3x, but won’t repair a leaky shower. Even when the owner is on the lot, they are reluctant to make the repairs themselves, and none of the objects are upgradable to self cleaning or unbreakable. And this is all in the public areas; I realize owners can’t access VIP rooms/suites. The upgrade feature has always worked on my residential lots, and everything I’ve read about resorts state the same should be true for the resort. Any thoughts? Also, any way to stop guests from randomly “relax here” on the front parking lot, or in the pool area, even though a chaise lounge is within a few feet and unoccupied?

goderguy
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Mar 2022 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
change your staff to the "expensive" staff.

It already is. And I don’t believe the price/quality of the staff affects whether plumbing can be upgraded.

But since you mention it, is there a way to hire more than 3? I’ve already upgraded the resort twice, and the max staff allowed has not increased.

goderguy
Inventor
#5 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 2:17 PM
So I'm going to test run this tonight because I took my resort mods out. I changed the requirements on my resort staff to go from 3 to 5 in the pool. I had a bigger "motel" going. I'm going to run that one tonight and see if I actually got it to work. It also has the handiness skill of an expensive maint worker at 8 minimum and 10 max. Now one thing you could try if you have Nraas installed is to click on the resort and change traits of maint. worker. You could assign them the handiness trait and remove some traits that don't really work. I assign them handiness, neat, and make no messes. By giving them those traits you will end up with a better staff.

Other answers - all repairs xml's from the game file have upgrade items as DisallowAutonomous="True" and User Directed as "False" I have never had an issue not being able to upgrade but the problem might be is because you are not checked into the room (you have to be checked into the specific room to go in and upgrade any object) This might be the issue you are having because you can't access the other VIP rooms.

Repair XMLs <Change type="BeResortMaintenance" advertised="200" locked="True" actual="200" updateType="ContinuousFlow" timeDependsOn="False" updateEvenOnFailure="False" updateAboveAndBelowZero="Either" />
So this pushes the resort workers to want to repair things. So I really suggest maybe looking at the traits of the workers. You could also assign workaholic to them as well. This gives off the advertised of repairing being a huge attraction.

I will set up a "motel" tonight and see if I can reproduce your issues. I don't think the relax "anywhere" can be changed because I don't see it in the resort xmls so I think it might have something to just do with the relax here feature. I also hate that they end up everywhere.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 3:36 PM
Thank you for all that! I do have the NRAAS mods, so I will try to make my staff as qualified and experienced as I can.

How do you increase the staff numbers though? Mine will only allow 3 maintenance workers max total, no matter what combo of the 3 levels I choose.

My problem with things breaking is public areas, not private VIP rooms. I have a gym with a men’s locker room and a women’s locker room, with showers, toilets, sinks, a sauna, and of course lockers. That’s where the shower is that broke, and maintenance staff ignores.

I appreciate your detailed reply, and your willingness to test some things!

goderguy
Forum Resident
#7 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
Thank you for all that! I do have the NRAAS mods, so I will try to make my staff as qualified and experienced as I can.

How do you increase the staff numbers though? Mine will only allow 3 maintenance workers max total, no matter what combo of the 3 levels I choose.

My problem with things breaking is public areas, not private VIP rooms. I have a gym with a men’s locker room and a women’s locker room, with showers, toilets, sinks, a sauna, and of course lockers. That’s where the shower is that broke, and maintenance staff ignores.

I appreciate your detailed reply, and your willingness to test some things!

Sounds as you like to play the game, and let things happen as you may expect, but push comes to shove, a fallback is to go to city hall and use either Master Controller, or Debug (forget which) and there are options for "clean all" and "repair all". It does not make the beds, but does clean and fixx broken items in the entire world.
Inventor
#8 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 6:38 PM
In order to increase the amount of maint. workers I'm going to test the ResortMaintenance.xml from the gameplay file (it has the three flavors you can hire). The code is written for a max of 3 that's why you can't hire more. I am going to test that tonight by changing 3 to 5 again. I'm pretty sure when I did this before it increases but I want to test it again.

Now are you using a CC shower in your resort or a game shower? not that it should make a difference but I'm curious to which shower you have installed. The one from the store Serenity Springs pack has always given me issues so I never use it. Also, where is your gym in relation to the Rabbit Hole that the resort workers are spawning?

Also are you using the doors to specify gender? If you are do you have a maintenance workers of each gender to go in those doors.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marydehoyos
In order to increase the amount of maint. workers I'm going to test the ResortMaintenance.xml from the gameplay file (it has the three flavors you can hire). The code is written for a max of 3 that's why you can't hire more. I am going to test that tonight by changing 3 to 5 again. I'm pretty sure when I did this before it increases but I want to test it again.

Now are you using a CC shower in your resort or a game shower? not that it should make a difference but I'm curious to which shower you have installed. The one from the store Serenity Springs pack has always given me issues so I never use it. Also, where is your gym in relation to the Rabbit Hole that the resort workers are spawning?

Also are you using the doors to specify gender? If you are do you have a maintenance workers of each gender to go in those doors.

I do use the gendered doors for the locker rooms. I haven’t really noticed the gender of the maintenance workers. However, they go into the locker room to mop up the puddle the broken shower makes, they just won’t fix the shower. And the showers are the basic one with no door or floor - just pipes and handles. I believe that’s an EA shower, not a CC one I don’t think it’s even a store one, but I can’t say that for certain.

The rabbit hole rug is one floor down from the locker rooms, and again the maintenance workers go in there. They go everywhere and do everything they are supposed to, except fix things.

To be clear, is the amount of maintenance workers only able to be increased by fiddling with tuner files? That’s beyond my scope. I think I’d have enough workers if they would just do the job I hired them to do ;-)

goderguy
Inventor
#10 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 8:54 PM
I do use the gendered doors for the locker rooms. I haven’t really noticed the gender of the maintenance workers. However, they go into the locker room to mop up the puddle the broken shower makes, they just won’t fix the shower. And the showers are the basic one with no door or floor - just pipes and handles. I believe that’s an EA shower, not a CC one I don’t think it’s even a store one, but I can’t say that for certain.

The rabbit hole rug is one floor down from the locker rooms, and again the maintenance workers go in there. They go everywhere and do everything they are supposed to, except fix things.

To be clear, is the amount of maintenance workers only able to be increased by fiddling with tuner files? That’s beyond my scope. I think I’d have enough workers if they would just do the job I hired them to do ;-)

I would take out the gender doors and see what happens. I am about to load up and test out my tuning files I created. It will increase the workers to 5 for each type. I also will put in gender doors and see if I can see if that is causing an issue. If mine works it's a simple tuning file I will send you.

Also, since you mentioned you don't like them putting up beach towels everywhere I have decided to experiment with this as well. I found the file for the beach towels. I changed the tuning. I also have in Icarus_buyable beach towels. So I'm going to see if I take away the autonomy of using beach towels whenever but allow them to use the beach towels I have placed.

So check back in about an hour or so and I will give you an update on what I have found.
Inventor
#12 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 11:47 PM
You are correct Nitromon. Here is what I discovered in my play through using my own tuning files. I increased the number of the staff in each category on each xml for the maintenance worker and then made the same change in the resort manager. It did not increase the amount of workers beyond 3 even though I went 3 to 5 in both files. I also checked Nraas/Register and it now shows the pool to be 5. So it must also be coded in the Resort tower...maybe? Like you said more than 3 wasn't needed. They all worked just fine. It is below that seemed to make a difference.

Here is what I did that made a huge change. I set the chance for the high level to 0 for goof off. So they no longer goof off. I went around breaking everything in the resort (even with the doors being gender specific) both male and female workers went in the both doors and fixed everything. All they did was work. I literally with debug enabler broke everything in the resort and my workers went and fixed everything immediately with just that tuning.

Next on my test was the relax feature with the towels. I changed the beach towel tuning to 0 that an npc will place a beach towel down to relax. So with that in place they only used the loungers at the resort. Be warned if you use this tuning this will happen to all beach towels throughout the world (confirmed by going to the beach and only I was able to use the relax feature) I had a party and other NPCs were there no one placed a beach towel. In my further testing I have Icarus buyable beach towels in my game. I placed those at my resort and on my beach. NPCS will use those but will not just generate them out of nowhere.

Here are the codes I changed

From Resort Manager

<kMaxMaintenanceWorkers value="5"> (this while I could apply 5 never produced 5 workers)
<!--Max number of maintenance type personnel-->
</kMaxMaintenanceWorkers>
<kIntervalBetweenMaintenanceChecks value="0.50"> (original was 1) this made it so they were checking more often to see if things were broken
<!--Interval between maintenance checks (in hours)-->
</kIntervalBetweenMaintenanceChecks>
<kMaintenanceChance value="1, 1, 1"> (original <kMaintenanceChance value="0.4, 0.75, 1">) I changed them all to 1
<!--Odds that maintenance worker instantiates and heads out to work, low to high 0-1-->
</kMaintenanceChance>

Here is what I changed on the high maintenance worker only

from - high
<kMaxGoofOffTime value=".5">
<kGoofOffOdds value="0.02">
to
<kMaxGoofOffTime value="0">
<kGoofOffOdds value="0">
Inventor
#13 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 11:51 PM Last edited by marydehoyos : 16th Mar 2022 at 12:38 AM.
If anyone wants to test them. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/su1ixgysa3hi1/Resorts
I haven't changed the 5 back to 3 yet so just be forewarned it looks like you can add 5 but I only got 3.
I'm going to go back after altering all 3 high, medium, and low workers and see if I can produce the same results by changing the tunings to all match the high one did.
I placed them in my overrides folder.

I do not at this moment have any other resort altering files in my mods. I haven't even put back the resort rugs so I can't say if they will conflict with a mod but if it changes the Resortmanager It will override it and I think the more VIPs at check in one is altered with the resort manager. Buyer beware lol

I was just testing the tuning of these to see what would happen. The beach relax one should not conflict with anything.

Updated: Just checked the more VIP mod and since that changes the Resort Check in Manager it shouldn't conflict.
Inventor
#14 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 12:22 AM
also I meant to ask this question @goderguy when you say upgrade on plumbing you are talking about your own sim correct? An NPC will not autonomously upgrade anything. I had no issues with upgrading on my test but the only thing I can think of is that your own player sims handiness level is not high enough to upgrade whatever ever it is you are trying to upgrade. My current Sim just got tinker on the lowest sink in the game and that showed up while in the resort.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 1:10 AM
also I meant to ask this question @goderguy when you say upgrade on plumbing you are talking about your own sim correct? An NPC will not autonomously upgrade anything. I had no issues with upgrading on my test but the only thing I can think of is that your own player sims handiness level is not high enough to upgrade whatever ever it is you are trying to upgrade. My current Sim just got tinker on the lowest sink in the game and that showed up while in the resort.

I meant my Sim, and I didn't even think to check her skill levels. I did realize the broken shower is in the male locker room, and the owner is female, so that's why she can't go in there. But the maintenance staff can go in there, just won't repair the shower. I downloaded your files and placed them in my overrides folder. I'm about to test them out. Thank you SO much for all your assistance - and TIME - spent helping me with this. The others too! Hopefully the towel/relax issue resolved itself, and here's hoping my maintenance staff starts doing what I pay them to do! LOL

goderguy
Inventor
#17 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 2:07 AM
You are welcome!!! So I'm back with the next test and now this is just becoming fun. I think my resort is now one of the best I have built as far as having a lot of people at it.
Tomorrow after I am done work I will update my mediafire to include the below and then will submit these to be released here.

1. I changed the medium and low maint. files to match what I did to the high level. So at Medium and Low they all worked just as hard as the expensive.
(so I will test out a few more days to see how this works before release)
What I did find to address Nitromon is the traits. I had two sims who had the insane traits, plus the handiness, neat, and so on. When they had the insane trait they would work on occasion but then wonder off and work out, swim, watch TV, basically whatever attracted them while the third who did not have insane just kept working. I removed the insane trait from the two and made them stop the activity and they went back to work. So traits might have an impact.

2. I tried as Nitromon instructed to hire 3 high, 3 medium, and 3 low to increase my workers - this did not work. When I entered 3 in the medium and then went to enter 3 in the low the medium went back to 0. It seems to only allow the 3 at one time.

3. I reinstalled the Rabbit Hole Resort Tower Rugs and the More VIP Check in mods and both worked smoothly as neither changes the resortmanager.xml or the maintenance worker xmls

I am loving not having NPC's just setting up beach towels everywhere. They are using the loungers or the Buyable beach towels I have placed around the pool. I only have 1 beach in my town and I like having the control that they are not just willy nilly relaxing wherever and whenever they see fit. It just looks so much more organized.

I will continue testing out more stuff in the next few days before I make an official release but I have to say my Resort is kind of amazing now. Things are being fixed, it looks nicer, and I actually have a bunch of people checking in.

One of the other things I do plan on working on that I had done before is changing what is required on a resort. I prefer to make Side of the Road Motels (I'm playing in a nice version of moonlight falls so I wanted to stick more to that aesthetic) So it doesn't require things like the firewalk or so many decorations or buffet tables) I like using Ani's Bistro Oven and waiters for more of a restaurant/diner feel.

I will update the quantity of workers since that file I put in the media fire says 5 and not 3 but I might poke around more and see if I can make it generate more workers.
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 2:09 AM
Update: I upped my Sim resort owner’s handiness skill level to 8, and now she can make things unbreakable. The maintenance staff is repairing everything that breaks, even in the gendered locker rooms, regardless of gender. Haven’t had a chance to test the towels, but I do have 2 purchased ones laid out where I want them. Thank you again for the assistance! I think all my resort problems are resolved. ❤️

Edit: Towels are working as expected/desired. And I see you posted the same time I did. I don’t want the firewalker thing at my resort either - it’s located in a temperate climate, not a desert or tropical locale. I am interested in what you come up with. Y resort is 64x64, and includes everything under the sun because of reviews and whatnot, but I’d prefer to do a more hotel/motel style as well.

goderguy
Inventor
#19 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Thanks! This one is great because sometimes we make hotels with resort lot type, but it is not meant to be a beach place. It'll be cool if you can make this standalone, if people don't want all staff to be maximized efficiency.

Just curious, were you able to find out why sometimes the maintenance staff won't spawn?

I haven't had an issue with maintenance staff not spawning. I did notice that unless a certain amount of things were broken I would get one to come out versus all three. I wonder if I change the amount of time sweeping if all three would spawn walking around sweeping. I think I saw a previous mod released that does that. I can check and see if I can see how it spawns them. It might just be what needs to be fixed, cleaned, or done that pushes how they spawn.
Inventor
#20 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 2:22 AM
Update: I upped my Sim resort owner’s handiness skill level to 8, and now she can make things unbreakable. The maintenance staff is repairing everything that breaks, even in the gendered locker rooms, regardless of gender. Haven’t had a chance to test the towels, but I do have 2 purchased ones laid out where I want them. Thank you again for the assistance! I think all my resort problems are resolved. ❤️

Edit: Towels are working as expected/desired. And I see you posted the same time I did. I don’t want the firewalker thing at my resort either - it’s located in a temperate climate, not a desert or tropical locale.

Awesome!!!! So glad to help! I'm going to continue on over the next week. (Real life work will interfere for a few days).
I think I will end up making a few different types of flavors of these and release them.
Inventor
#21 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 2:54 AM
I haven't had an issue with maintenance staff not spawning. I did notice that unless a certain amount of things were broken I would get one to come out versus all three. I wonder if I change the amount of time sweeping if all three would spawn walking around sweeping. I think I saw a previous mod released that does that. I can check and see if I can see how it spawns them. It might just be what needs to be fixed, cleaned, or done that pushes how they spawn.

I think the instinator I changed values all to be 1 is what pushes them to all spawn. By changing it to all be 1 which was the highest level it should push all three out and about. It might just take watching it for a bit to see if this is true.
Inventor
#22 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 9:51 PM
So I wanted to give you an update. I took the Resort Manager, wiped out the criteria of how many items it requires. So decorations it requires 50 alone (that seems crazy). Anyway I created an Inn on a 40 x 40 lot. I started with one VIP room and nothing to do but food and the desk with one rabbit hole tower. People still showed up and while the reviews still talk about a firewalk and other things..it was instantly a 3 start resort..then on the resort stars where you can get to 5 stars as I upgraded the resort tower that also increased no matter what the reviews said. I did a little poking in the reviews and they will say whatever (it has tuning for chances of types of reviews).

So I'm going to mess with the tuning files some more to get something that seems a little more reasonable. It is working where I don't need everything but everyone was bored so slowly I started adding stuff. A pool table, a couple of book shelves, the bistro diner oven (I did the one from the store and not Ani's so I could see how it performed) not once did I get a bad review about not having buffet tables and when you have no chef people will just go to the restaurant and prepare their own food! I did notice by going down to a smaller lot and having only 3 VIP rooms the need for 3 maintenance workers was way too much. So I'm going to reduce down to match the smaller lot and to match that I don't have much that breaks. Also without having as much to break the things I do have were constantly breaking. So for sure some balance will be needed.
Inventor
#23 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 9:56 PM
If anyone uses this and wants to provide feedback I would appreciate it.

Ok I have tested some new things - Please go download the newest one. I removed the old one. I also added a Text file that talks to the changes and how to best make it work. With this version you will need to remove the MoreVip Mod if you are using it because this will now conflict but I made the change in my own to have it be 100% VIP check in!
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/su1ixgysa3hi1/Resorts

What this now does:
1. No bad reviews - unless the resort is dirty (as my resort started to fill up more I did have to place more trash cans. I started with one lol)
2. Requirements change - You should not need a pool or firewalk. I did not need a buffet - read text file
3. My stars went up as I played
4. Using Nraas>MC>Invite over with the VIP set at 100. I set up 6 rooms and all 6 were filled (1 for me and 5 others) plus my resort "tower" was full
5. No Beach Towel spawns (this is still my favorite)
6. I made the "thought bubbles" they get about the resort to show up every 30000 sim minutes so in my playthrough I didn't really see any.

This is experimental so use at your own risk.
Still want to test out.
1. I noticed it allows you to check in with a max of 7 sims...so in my testing now my VIP rooms were filling I had families checking in and I had to add beds. Great for my family campground. Not the best when using the blue prints lol
I do plan on testing out different flavors playing with that number.
2. Changing the cost of the mosquito spray. Even though I changed it in the resort file it still says 80 when you go to buy it. Need to see if I have to change this on the spray object itself to change this.
3. If possible change the amount of maintenance workers (increasing) still haven't had a chance to go back and look at this yet.
Inventor
#24 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 10:47 PM
I moved this over into the Modding Section so I can get some tester feedback (if any) so any more updates I will post on this thread
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=665721
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 21st Mar 2022 at 1:20 PM
I moved this over into the Modding Section so I can get some tester feedback (if any) so any more updates I will post on this thread
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=665721

Following the link, it takes me right to the new thread. But trying to find the thread without the link has me stumped. Where is it located?

goderguy
Page 1 of 2