Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Brainania University Subhood

by Mootilda Posted 16th Dec 2010 at 3:41 PM - Updated 19th Aug 2011 at 2:47 AM by Mootilda : Suggest backup before attaching university.

135 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 91 Feedback Posts, 43 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 6
Site Helper
Original Poster
#26 Old 9th Dec 2010 at 1:31 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th Dec 2010 at 6:11 PM.
Default Rental Houses (continued)
5 Ocean View Drive

A modification of 1 Fledgling Flats.

Lot Size: 2x1 with road at front (2x2 total).
Lot Price: $5,178 (rental)

7 Ocean View Drive

A modification of 3 Fledgling Flats.

Lot Size: 2x1 with road at front (2x2 total).
Lot Price: $5,201 (rental)
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#27 Old 9th Dec 2010 at 1:33 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th Dec 2010 at 9:01 PM.
Default Secret Society
Limpopo Society

The only building left standing after the erruption of Wanganui, this secret society lot is the former residence of the Most Exalted Ned Limpopo, Prime Minister of Brainania. It is a smaller version of my Case Study House #1 Redux, ideally located across the road from the beach in an area which is not visible from the main campus. When the Prime Minister decided to rebuild the island as a university, he dedicated his former residence as a secret society, in the hopes that its members would pursue his ultimate goal: to take over the world!

Lot Size: 3x2 with road at front (3x3 total).
Lot Price: $170,361
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#28 Old 9th Dec 2010 at 2:17 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th Dec 2010 at 6:36 PM.
Default Nightlife Problem with Owned Cars
If Nightlife is your last EP and you have no SPs, then there is a problem when driving a car to 1-tile wide lots. The car will stop off of the lot and your sims will not be able to exit the car. If you find this has happened to you, just exit the lot; your sims will drive back home.

This is a problem with all 1-wide community lots in Nightlife and is not specific to this university. It is not a problem for 1x1 corner lots, which are actually 2 tiles wide.

To work around this problem, have your sims use a taxi when traveling to 1 tile wide lots. If you want to solve the problem permanently, use the "moveobjects on" cheat to place an object onto the road, to stop the car before it drives off of the lot.

Please see this post for more information:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...&postcount=2361
Site Helper
Original Poster
#29 Old 9th Dec 2010 at 6:51 PM
Default Mansions & Gardens Wall Coverings
If Mansions & Gardens is your last EP, then there is a problem with the alignment of wall coverings on walls with non-standard heights. All that this means is that the downtown and residential lots may not appear as pictured in this thread. There is no known solution at this time. If you don't like the new look, feel free to change the wall coverings used. For more information, see:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...&postcount=2341
Site Helper
Original Poster
#30 Old 9th Dec 2010 at 7:05 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 16th Dec 2010 at 4:31 PM. Reason: More detailed instructions.
Default Populating Brainania
Brainania is currently unoccupied. When you move to the university, some sims will appear automatically, unless you have mods which prevent sims from spawning. Professors, NPCs, secret society members and dormies will all appear without any action by you. However, you may want to generate some additional young adult sims to populate the neighborhood.

The Simple Way:

- (Optional) If you don't like the look of EA generated sims, select and install default face replacements, such as this one:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=250376

- (Optional) If you don't like the names of EA generated sims, select and install a name replacement mod, such as this one:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=110889

- Run the game and enter the university subhood.

- Create a new sim or move an existing sim to the university.

- Move your sim into a dorm or rental house.

- Bring up the cheat box using <ctrl><shift>C. Type in the following cheat and press <enter>:
boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true

- <shift><click> on the mailbox at your dorm or rental house and select the option "DBG - FORCE Create Townies". Depending upon your configuration (installed EPs), this menu item is sometimes hidden in a submenu, such as "Neighborhoods...".

- Confirm that you want to generate Townies now. If you have Nightlife, you will be given an option to choose between Townies and Downtownies. Select Townies.

- Wait while the game generates approximately 50 young adult townies. Their thumbnails will be displayed as they are generated.

- Bring up the cheat box and type in:
boolProp testingCheatsEnabled false

More Complex Ways:

There are, of course, ways to gain more control over the townies. Here is a useful link for creating custom townies. You'll want to look at step 4 "Populating the ‘hood". These methods will also work with young adult townies at your university:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,10798.0.html
Screenshots
transmogrified
retired moderator THANKS POST
#31 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 4:16 PM Last edited by mangaroo : 17th Dec 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling is gudd
I'm debating between installing Brainania in my current 'hood (a change of Uni venue would help to keep that aspect of the game fresh and interesting) or saving this campus for some future neighborhood. Either way, it looks incredible. I particularly like the way you've handled the mini-lots/quads. I don't think I've ever seen that done before!

Thank you for sharing your work.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#32 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 5:31 PM
This is amazing, and I'm not sure if I'm going to ditch my current uni or provide this as an option, so I can send sims to different colleges. I usually have my academic departments as residential colleges, so the skill objects are mainly in dorms, but these tiny community lots should have such small load times that they are super usuable with the way I play.

Thanks so much for sharing this gorgeous project. It is obvious that much time and effort went into it, and I'm so grateful that you shared it!
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#33 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 7:13 PM
Wonderful! Beautifully designed and planned for functionality and aesthetics. The campus looks like an actual campus, reminds me of where I went to uni. The mini-downtown is wonderful, and realistically placed away from campus. The waterfall is just gorgeous!

The Laandrabs better watch out for Ned Limpopo!

Does this require any camera hacks? I assume not.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#34 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 7:53 PM
No, it shouldn't require a camera hack, although I used one to take the neighborhood pictures. One of my criteria was to require no cc at all, including a different camera.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#35 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 9:51 PM
Oh my gosh, this is beautiful!
Is there any chance you can upload the sc4 file? It's exactly what I've wanted.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#36 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 10:18 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 21st Dec 2010 at 4:44 AM. Reason: Add link to HoodReplace
Let me see whether I still have it (update: yes) and whether StephSim minds whether I share it (update: sent PM, waiting for response).

You understand that I just modified the one from StephSim, linked on the first page? All that I did was to add the "quads" on top of the hill, smooth a couple of areas, add the second beach, and add the hidden area for the secret society.

You can also use HoodReplace to copy the entire terrain to a new neighborhood, including (if you wish) trees and deco:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=279992
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#37 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 10:50 PM
Oh, yes, I know you modified it.
I've never heard of HoodReplace though, but I think I'll try it out.
Thanks very much, and again, good work on it
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#38 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 12:53 AM
ZOMFG this is the best university 'hood ever! Thanks tons for the upload.
*shrugs*
#39 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 2:58 AM
Hooray! As much as I love Sim State and the other two schools, I do like variety. However, my custom campuses always tend to look like a loose coupling of dorms devoid of any large-scale campus plan. I've been meaning to play a group of perpetual students (using cheats to keep them there) and this looks like a great campus to try it. It looks great!
Test Subject
#40 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 11:33 PM
ok so i downloaded this but i dont know where to install it, the way you said does not work for me so can you help? i have downloaded other neighborhoods with no problem before, and i would love this university. so please help me
Site Helper
Original Poster
#41 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 12:52 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 18th Dec 2010 at 7:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by matthewm301
ok so i downloaded this but i dont know where to install it, the way you said does not work for me so can you help? i have downloaded other neighborhoods with no problem before, and i would love this university. so please help me
The installation instructions are correct. However, you haven't given me enough information to figure out why you are having problems. Here are some possibilities:

1) Are you having problem extracting extracting the MooU folder? If so, which program are you using to do the extraction?

2) Are you having problems determining where to put the MooU folder? Do you have University installed? Did you buy the University EP by itself, or as part of a collection? Did you use the standard installation directory, or did you specify a different one when asked? Are you looking in Program Files, rather than in Documents?

A fairly easy way to find your University installation is to look at the properties for your University shortcut. It should tell you where to find Sims2EP1.exe. The EXE should be in the TSBin folder of your installation directory. You should find the TSData folder at the same level as TSBin.

3) Are you having problems getting access to the University installation directory? Some of the later Windows systems (Vista, Windows 7) have access protection on C:\Program Files, so you'll have to bypass that protection to add MooU to the appropriate directory.

4) Are you having problems finding Brainania while playing the game? Can you attach a screenshot of your university selection screen?

Basically, the more that you can tell me about what you've done, the easier it will be to determine what went wrong.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#42 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 7:32 PM
Default Brainania Terrain
Here is the SC4 which contains my modifications to StephSim's terrain. There are no pictures; you can use the ones from the original terrain (link below), or make your own. Since StephSim did 99% of the work on this terrain, please be sure to thank her for her terrain download if you decide to download this version.

StephSim's original terrain:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=414490
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ASmallKingdom-Brainania.zip (106.0 KB, 337 downloads)
Description: My Brainania modifications to ASmallKingdom-University.SC4
Test Subject
#43 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 10:11 PM
i have windows vista, and i bought univeristy collecton. i was able to extract it using wrar, i just dont know where to put it in my game. yeah i dont know where to put the moou folder.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#44 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 10:16 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 18th Dec 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Can you find the folder in C:\Program Files\EA Games which contains your University collection? If so, there's probably a subfolder of that named either University or EP1. TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate should be under that subfolder.

Alternatively, try looking for the EXE as explained above.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#45 Old 19th Dec 2010 at 1:46 AM
i figured it out i think
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#46 Old 19th Dec 2010 at 6:13 PM
This is amazing! Great work as usual Mootilda!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#47 Old 19th Dec 2010 at 10:07 PM
"Brainania
You nation of folks.
Here comes a guy
Selling watery Cokes."
Fantastic.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#48 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 4:33 AM
Mootilda, I've finally had an opportunity to play Brainania, and it is every bit as amazing as I had hoped. I know you're a bit of a perfectionist, so I wanted to let you know about two problems I've encountered.

1) For Seasons users, some of the lots aren't weatherproofed. I first discovered this at the Gym when one of my Sims was shocked that it was snowing inside. Later, lightning struck someone in the hot tub there. I've applied ceiling tiles, which I hope will fix everything.
2) When a group of 4 or more Sims travels to one of the 1x1 corner lots, at least one playable Sim is likely to materialize in the walled-in area between two buildings, where they are trapped. I've started adding "doors to nowhere" to the affected lots, but if there's another solution, I would love to hear it. (Anything besides tearing down the beautiful facade walls...unacceptable!) So far, I've had this happen at the Music lot, the Arcade, and the Dance lot.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#49 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 4:41 PM
1) I'll add a message about the weather-proofing. Only the "downtown" lots should experience this problem and the solution is to put floor tiles on the upper level.

2) Thanks for the problem report. Are you playing with all EPs? I'll look into this and see whether there is any other solution. It's possible that a change to the portal location will resolve this issue.
transmogrified
#50 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 7:40 PM
Yes, I have all EPs and SPs (except Happy Holidays) installed. Thanks for looking into the trapped Sim issue, and it's good to know only the Downtown lots will need ceilings (upper floors) added.

I've just graduated my first group of students. Thank you again...I have never had so much fun skilling up a bunch of CAS blanks!
Page 2 of 6