Replies: 860 (Who?), Viewed: 191974 times.
Page 35 of 35
Banned
#851 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 12:21 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 6th Aug 2022 at 12:36 AM.
Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss this conversation, because it is an interesting thing to talk about.

The title of this thread is "Rate Your Most Recently Watched Movie."
The thing is, I'm in my early 60's, so there are many movies I saw in years past, dating all the way back to the 1960's, that are not included in my list of movies and ratings in this thread. And since in the decades of my life before the internet one had to actually pay for seeing movies, one was much more discriminating in what one spent one's money on. So I think that if I were to list all the movies I saw throughout out my life, at least the ones I remember, my list would probably be much more positive than my ratings in this thread, especially since a person tends to remember the good ones and forget the bad ones.
Advertisement
Banned
#852 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 12:24 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 6th Aug 2022 at 12:38 AM.
As an aside, and substantially off-topic from the current conversation, the scariest film was one I saw when I was just a kid, about age 5. So this was in the mid-1960's.
It was a Spanish film, entitled The Miracle of Marcelino, aka Marcelino pan y vino (1955). At that age, I doubt I had the patience to watch it in its entirety, but I sure as hell remembered the scary parts for many years afterward. It's not actually a horror film at all, but a drama with strong religious overtones.
Without giving any spoilers, and long story short, it's about an orphan boy in 19th century Spain who is raised in a monastery. The monks tell him never to go in the attic, which of course he eventually does, as little kids are wont to do things they are told not to do. What he finds in the attic is what creeped me out, and for many years afterwards I looked askew at the object in question whenever I was in a church.
There are clips of these scenes on YT, for anyone interested, but watching them will definitely spoil the movie for you. Even just reading the short synopsis on IMDb will spoil it, in my opinion. Actually, even some of the advertising posters for it are spoilers.
The IMDb rating for it is 7.1, so not bad. I too would rate it a 7.
Banned
#853 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 6:49 AM
The Curse (1987) - 4/10
When a meteorite lands near his family farm during a storm in Tennessee, the son of a struggling farmer believes it's connected to strange plague-like events afflicting the crops, the farm animals and even the family themselves.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#854 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 9:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryRob
The title of this thread is "Rate Your Most Recently Watched Movie.

Yes, but you didn't watch the film I'm commenting on, which is why I commented. I thought that others who might read this thread would miss out on a good series and movie if they read your rating! So my comment was in effect, my review.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Banned
#855 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 3:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Yes, but you didn't watch the film I'm commenting on, which is why I commented. I thought that others who might read this thread would miss out on a good series and movie if they read your rating! So my comment was in effect, my review.

I watched an hour, or about half of it, and I thought it was so bad that I couldn't stomach watching the rest. That's a valid reason for giving it a low rating.
You happened to like it, which is fine. So lets agree to move on.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#856 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 4:37 PM
Quote:
I watched an hour, or about half of it, and I thought it was so bad that I couldn't stomach watching the rest. That's a valid reason for giving it a low rating.
You happened to like it, which is fine. So lets agree to move on.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Banned
#857 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 9:49 PM
The Deer Hunter (1978) - 4/10
An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania.

Three hours of mostly boredom, with nothing to recommend it besides a couple of Russian Roulette scenes.
Besides the scenery, which is quite obviously not Pennsylvania, the deer hunting scenes are absurd, with the group of friends constantly shouting at one another at the top of their voices, physically chasing deer through the woods and hills, and taking multiple shots - all of which would only have the effect in real life of instantly causing deer to flee at top speed and not stop until they were at least five miles away from such idiots.
The Robert De Niro character being in the army and in uniform, sporting a full beard. Beards have not been allowed in the US military probably for the past 100 years. On top of that blatant inaccuracy, there are the usual Hollywood gaffes regarding military dress codes, including De Niro wearing his beret indoors and walking around with his raincoat unbuttoned. But I'm sure the US military gave its blessings though, since the De Niro character comes back from Vietnam somewhat matured, garnering respect from the townsfolk while he struts around town in uniform, girl in arm.
Mad Poster
#858 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 2:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
I have no idea how you could begin to understand that film without watching Twin peaks first! The series and movie (and all the other related bits) are favourites of mine.

I like that film as well - it was very well done as a prequel to Twin Peaks.
Mad Poster
#859 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 3:01 AM
4 films I saw recently - 1) Men(7) - the actors are very good and the film is very creepy - about a woman whose husband committed suicide and she goes to stay at a beautiful property in a small village to get away from it all
2) Lost Illusions (8) - excellent actors in this film version of the Balzac novel about a young man's rise and fall in early 19th century Paris
3) Crimes of the Future - (7) - (lately I sometimes have trouble hearing what characters are saying when I see a film in a theater - this one was especially difficult for me to hear) It takes place in a fairly bad future where people modify their bodies in extreme ways for something to do and to get attention. In the meantime, other people are being born with genetic mutations. It ended and I was like 'wait - is that the end?' bcs it was abrupt.
4) News from Home - a film by Chantal Akerman - time travel to the late 70s in NYC - (8)
Field Researcher
#860 Old 14th Aug 2022 at 12:08 AM
Suicide Room: Hater
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvjlYUzhijQ
6/10
Good presentation of how a sociopath/narcissist acts, although there were some inconsistencies. Shows how delusional politicians are and how easily people can be manipulated by them via social media etc. I realised that social media makes people jittery and unsure about whether what they see or hear is true. Deleting all our social media gives us a chance to experience the world free of constant manipulation and gives us a chance to discover our new, happier selves.

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Scholar
#861 Old 14th Aug 2022 at 12:21 PM
Quote:
The Deer Hunter (1978) - 4/10
An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania.

Three hours of mostly boredom, with nothing to recommend it besides a couple of Russian Roulette scenes.

Yeah that was on tv a few weeks back and I like nearly died. I'd forgotten that older movies were slow and it's been a while since I've sat to actually watch a movie so it felt even longer than it should have.

Rewatched Scarface last night. I don't remember it being like that but I still enjoyed it 7/10 I guess
Page 35 of 35