Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 8:36 AM
Does this tutorial work for making new hair? Im having a very hard time following the other hair tutorials.

Wanna see more of my creations?
Visit My Site: www.UniversalSims.com
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 12:49 PM
I have a new problem! I edited a young adult mesh but now I can't import it back into SimPE. You say in your tutorial that all meshes must have the same number of vertices, well these don't to start with! There is a normal body mesh and then the only other mesh is of some flaps that attach to the boots and seem to have no use although their name implies it has something to do with the alpha channel. I can't understand why there is no fat mesh either. Just in case it helps at all, the mesh I was trying to edit was afbodyurbanprimitive from the university 3D file.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Scholar
#28 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 9:04 AM Last edited by Nouk : 29th Dec 2005 at 3:50 PM.
I have a problem working with Bodychop, my BODYMOD.1 mesh has incorrect verticles, ad I cannot export. How do I fix this? I'sure I did not add anything...

**Edit: I started over and now it... does not work! lol. It's the darn nightlife mesh I'm using

I'll start on another mesh

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Scholar
#29 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 3:49 PM
I cannot thank you enough!! *Hugs NeptuneSuzy untill she turns blue*

Lab Assistant
#30 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 2:02 PM
I was wondering if there is a tutorial out there for someone who is not using milkshape...my trial expired and i cannot afford to buy it right now. i am using wings 3d. so far, i have tried the best i can only to have a floating head. i think i am importing wrong or something, i am not sure. i am also using the latest version of simpe.
i am totally ready to rip my hair out here. the tutorial makes it sound so easy, i follow the steps, but when it gets to the milkshape steps i have to do the next best thing, except i am not getting even close for a result. please, please help!

-Maggie
Check out my web site, we are always free!
Romance Sims -Maggie
Test Subject
#31 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 6:22 PM
I followed all the steps up to the part where we have to import the TS2 BodyChop plugin by WesH and when I did and open up the "extracted gmdc" file, no models were displayed on my milkshape program screen. Why is that?

I'm using milkshape free trial version 1.7.6 and my SimPE is the same one as the tutorial attached on this thread.

PS My milkshape trial version is new and NOT expired.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 6:34 PM Last edited by romancereads81 : 31st Dec 2005 at 6:52 PM.
ok, i managed to discover why is was not showing up in game, a few small things...first i have to open it in notepad and change it from g body_default to g body, and, i was importing improperly with the mesh tool. but, now i have issues with the mesh having weird cracks, seams, and pieces sort of extending out of the body.
this is not the laying down mesh problem (i worked through that using suggestion smentioned in previous pots) nor is it the exploding mesh, as these problems are on a smaller scale than exploding meshes have. like the top part of hte arm being bent and extended wrongly.
now, it shows up looking fine in the previewer in simpe, and i am certain i did not delete anything from the mesh since it says it has the same number and i am only trying to make some pants slightly longer. ( i am using wings, by the way) is it possible that simply moving things that dont like to be moved could cause this? any tips would be helpful. i think i may try to get 3ds and see if i have better luck at this point, because i have made it so far, but not quite there, and i am determined. if anyone has any suggestions, please please help!

MAggie

edit; ok, i am including a picture. i would like to point out that trying to change the mesh alot less did not change where these errors in the mesh are occurring.

edit edit; ok, someone finally told me that wings just does not work for clothing. but i wanted to leave this post here in case switching 3d editors does not work, because maybe it is not even that.
Screenshots

-Maggie
Romance Sims -Maggie
Alchemist
#33 Old 1st Jan 2006 at 6:46 AM
I want to thank evertone for the nice comments, and the tutorial, which, unfortunately, I got a corrupted download of and wasn't able to read. I live out in a rural part of a rural state and my dialup internet is Slooowww... so I have to budget my time on downloading big files.

There were mistakes made in the design and implementation of BodyChop. Some of them were too hard to just patch up.
One mistake is that models with multiple bones and skin weights do not necessarily have "morphs". Forcing morphs to be made to edit bone assignments was a mistake... and it is ugly, all the way to the bone.

As wordy as I am, some of you know I spend a lot of the warmer seasons working hard outdoors (I raise Cattle and have been busy improving my ranch). Since winter arrived, I have fewer tasks to do daily, leaving me with a lot of time to play with indoor activities, like hacking.

There is a new version of the plugins that will be released when the next upgrade of MilkShape does, or soon thereafter. Mete Ciragan (of MilkShape fame) has made some modifications that will allow me to store the values of imported bones and corresponding skin weights on importing a GMDC.

Importing "morphs" will be optional. They will still require a seperate model with a special naming technique. But the bone assignments will be made and edited with a seperate plugin that will be under the vertex menu. One, or multiple selected vertices, may be edited at once. Vertices may have one, two or three assignments and weights (expressed in percentages). Models can be imported, then exported unchanged and will retain the default Maxis assignments.

The idea about morphs is to look at the originals, hide them, and make the main mesh like you want it. Then you delete the original morph, make a copy of the main mesh, give it the proper name (following the naming rules) and only MOVE existing vertices (and not faces) to accheive the desired effect. The bone assignments for the morph models will not need to be edited, because the base model contains the bone/skin weight data. Morphs are created by comparing vertex positions between the base model and the morph model, and exist inside the GMDC as a set of numbers to be added (or subtracted) from the base model to create a fat effect.

So far, the design is in keeping with the idea of only needing a single plugin for both clothing and regular objects.

Progress report:
The work is done for bone assignments and skin weight import/export, along with the edit tool.
MilkShape exports models to a plugin that "combines" all the vertices that are at the same location. Many of the other plugins require this. But Mete has promised to come up with a way to export all of them to plugins that ask for them the right way, to maintain compatibility (there are a lot of MilkShape users that can't even spell "Simms" right. This will allow me to eliminate the issues that occur with unwanted shadowing at areas like a dress hem.
Besides testing and more testing, one problem I have yet to be able to solve is properly recreating the "Tangent Normals" section that allows bumpmapping to work on models with an alpha layer. I may lick this yet, but something is escaping me on recreating tham in a fashion the game will tolerate.

Release could be a while off. Mete has not finished all my requests, and has other user issues to deal with, too. But MilkShape 1.77 exists in a beta test format right now. You can make your own guesses as to the release date. I hope to release my plugins at or soon after the release of 1.7.7. (No, they will not work with earlier versions), although BodyChop and the 2.16 object plugin should continue to function as they do now.

I expect to phase out any further support for the older plugins once it is determined the new ones are stable.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
#34 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 11:29 AM
Thank you, Wes! I think it's amazing you are willing to share all your work with us!

I wonder, with hair, if I want to add part of the mesh, should I use groups, or should I use the merge option? (Both don't work for me )
And then, When I'm finally finished and want to export, it still complains about BODYMOD.1 not being there, but that hairmesh is not supposed to have a morph. When I duplicate and rename that group BODYMD.1, it still gives the same message.
Is there a way to work around that?

#35 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 2:47 PM
Hi, i'm new here and followed this tutorial and it worked!!!! yay. i'm so technically challenged that it's not normal anymore so i have 2 questions if some1 would be so nice 2 answer them.
when i have imported the mesh the pregnant shape becomes the fat one, is this normal?
and i tried to start from scratch again with the afbodylongloose mesh by making all the steps again, but when i got o the step where you import it in milkshape i got my old shape back instead of the original one. can some1 plz help me?
Test Subject
#36 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 3:41 PM
Hey, I'm brand new to creating meshes, but your tutorial seemed great. It went into a lot of good detail that was really helpful to me. THe only thing is, after I got aabout halfway through step 3, I realized that my "EAGames/TheSims2" folder did not contain another folder named "TSData". Is this somethign that can be fixed? I have found some aspects of my game in places that are slightly different from other people's, and I was wondering if perhaps that information was stored somewhere else. If you know what I'm talking about, and have anything that can help, please tell me. I can't downlaod because of somethign on my computer, so I would love to be able to create my own meshes. Thanks a million, and great tutorial! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 6:13 PM
brickwall, are you looking in your documents folder for eagames/sims2 folder? because the folder she reffered to is in your program files, seperate from where you keep your downloads.

-Maggie
Romance Sims -Maggie
Test Subject
Original Poster
#38 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 6:27 PM Last edited by NeptuneSuzy : 3rd Jan 2006 at 6:39 PM.
Sims2DW and Nouk..........The tutorial is made for clothing only. There a few differences for Hair, which I can try to point out briefly if you want to give it a try:

First, we use a different plugin by WesH........v2.16...you can find it here: http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimfo...hread.php?t=398

In the clothing tutorial, go through step 1 and make your temporary hair mesh.

Now Step 2 will be a little different....yyou will see a few "Property Sets" in the right column. These are for the different age groups. You want to look for the adult hair "Property Set" af......... We can edit only the Adult, Elder, and Young Adult meshes at the same time. Look at the "Property Sets" and see which ones are Adult, Elder, and Young Adult, (af.....) now remember the placement of these...they are usually the 4th, 5th and 6th, but not always. Ok, so now we have the name of the hair, and there placements. (pic below)

Go through Step 3 and gather the Mesh parts the same as we did for clothing.

Go through Step 4 and build the new package the same as we did for clothing, remember to extract the "copiedcres" and "copiedshape"

In Step 5, add the "copiedcres" and "copiedshape" the same as for clothing, but here is where the process differs a bit: When you click "3d ID referencing File" you will see 6 or 7 of these files on the right, just the way we saw a few property sets. This is why I said to remember the order of the 3 "property sets"...Adult, Elder, and Young Adult, because now we need to go through the Step 5 process of clicking "package" and so on, for the "3d id referencing file" for Adult, Elder, and Young Adult...they are in the same order, so go through the process for the "3d id referencing file" that are in the same positions..

Step 6 remains the same.

In step 7, you will import the gmdc file using WesH's v2.16 plugin (not the BodyChop plugin). (pic below)
You can now play with your hair mesh in Milkshape. You don't need to worry about different body groups, hair does not have these.
You do need to pull the area where her hairline meets her neck down a bit. The way we pulled her neck up a bit with clothing. Otherwise she will have a crack in her neck.

We export using v2.16 (not Bodychop). And the rest of the tutorial remains the same.

Hope this was helpful
Screenshots

~ Sue ~

My Site: http://www.ts2creations.com - Free Sims2 Downloads since December 2005
#39 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 6:29 PM
Suzy, i must say.
Very easy, well written. Quite funny too

Hurray
Test Subject
#40 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 8:43 PM
Hey, I have exactly the same problem as Amber (in page 1). Did you fix it? Can you help me, if you can?? Wen I try to import from the BodyChop, milkshake autamatically closes.... HELP!
Dani
Test Subject
#41 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 11:57 PM
Oh! Thank you so much Romancereads81! I can't believe I overlooked that. What an idiot! THanks a million!

[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Oom Pa Pa, Oom Pa Pa, That's how it goes.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Oom Pa Pa, Oom Pa Pa, Everyone Knows.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=MediumTurquoise][SIZE=2]...Just one of those days...[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 5:34 PM
which SimPE version did you use in that tutorial?
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 7:45 PM
i have problem..at the step where i have to export the mesh it says: vertice count for bodymod.1 incorrect....what do i have to do??? i havn't delete any vertexes or added some
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 7:52 PM
no problem brickwall...and don't feel silly, i have made that mistake a hundred times when i wasn't paying attention to which folder i wanted to naviaget to.:-) I am glad i helped!

-Maggie
Romance Sims -Maggie
Test Subject
Original Poster
#45 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 6:44 AM
Lakritze83...........version 50

Did you add/remove vertices from the regular Body group mesh?
If so then you need to be sure to remove/add the same number of vertices from the other bodymod groups

~ Sue ~

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 6:38 PM
no i havn't as said above
Test Subject
Original Poster
#47 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 7:31 PM
Lakritze83, if you didn't remove/add any vertices from any of the body groups then I must confess that I have no idea why it would say "vertice count for bodymod.1 incorrect". The only thing I can think of is that maybe a vertice was deleted by accident???

Maybe someone else knows something....

~ Sue ~

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 11:06 PM
no i have only moved them...i am gettin very sad with meshing before nightlife came out it all worked fine but now it doesn't work anymore and i wanted to mesh so much beautiful things for my page
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 11:09 PM
when i modify my meshes in milkshape i always press the left and the right button at the same time to get a better view to the parts of the mesh, cause so i can move it around....is that maybe the fault why my meshes are damaged?
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 4:08 AM
Ok, I've used this tut and everything worked out great. I have one slight problem. How do I get the legs to appear?

Yay!!! I'm coming back to the sims!!
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 2 of 5