Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 10:02 AM
I stopped playing the sims because I have similar problem.

I will try to reinstall whole game, and I hope it will help.. if it doesn't..

aargh!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 10:30 AM
Test Subject
#28 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 5:42 PM
This starts to be a problem. Even using command promp didn't help o__o
read only mark didn't disappear. Game might work, I haven't tested yet..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 7:38 PM
Default Command Prompt Coding
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I found two Microsoft pages that might help...
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...;308421&sd=tech

Okay, Simample...

I'm a total moron when it comes to command prompts, outside of Basic. What do I need to type to change the read-only attribute of the My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighborhoods folder?

Quote:
If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt. For example, to change the Read-only attribute to System for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
attrib -r +s c:\test
Note that some programs may not operate correctly with folders that have the System attribute set. To remove both the Read-only and System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
attrib -r -s c:\test
- via your first Microcrap link.

Do I type in: cd %userprofile%\my documents\ea games\the sims 2
and then: attrib -r +s (or -s) my documents:\ea ?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. I really just don't want to screw-up my game if at all possible.

Thanks for all the help so far though, I really do appreciate it!

Valui ad satanam in computatrum meum invocandum

Simmer Romanus2 - My Yahoo! Group

Requests of Roman items taken. My NON-adult items are FREE to use, as long as they remain FREE! (NO PAY SITES!) I'd appreciate a link back, or a mention, but it's not needed. :D
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#30 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 9:21 PM
Type:
Code:
cd %userprofile%\my documents
attrib -r -s "EA Games" /s /d

That should clear both attributes from all files and folders in ea games. I didn't work for me.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#31 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 9:47 PM
Or you could type the full path-
attrib -r -s c:\documents and settings\simsample\eagames\thesims2\
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 11:36 PM
Neither of those worked, I'm afraid. I can type them all it, hit enter, it runs the tower for about 2 seconds, gives me a new prompt line, but nothing changes in the folder.

Would restarting immedietly after doing that help?

Thanks again for all the help, I appreicate it.

Requests of Roman items taken. My NON-adult items are FREE to use, as long as they remain FREE! (NO PAY SITES!) I'd appreciate a link back, or a mention, but it's not needed. :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#33 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 4:57 PM
rmschoon, are you running XP home or Pro?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 8:01 PM
XP Pro. No Admin function, only one user with full rights of ownership to all files.

Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#35 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 8:19 PM
Same here. I'm not worrying about it though, I haven't had any problems yet.
Test Subject
#36 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 8:28 PM
I'm having a similar problem. I can save neighborhoods, but not sims. It worked fine up until a couple of days ago. I tried moving my documents and settings/....../ea games folder and then putting it back. It went back empty. All my little Sims....gone! The game is unplayable now unless I want to just do a lot of temporary things. If I exit the game, all my character building is lost. Not good on something like this.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 2:44 AM
Yeah I know how you all feel, the best thing to always do is try to create backups for each neighborhood at least once a week, or after you play. At least untill a resolution to this problem is seen.

-Vlad

SBN 2 EYEWITNESS NEWS
SEASON III - JULY 2009
SBN 2 HD Eyewitness News, premieres in July 2009, take part in the premiere and visit www.sbn2.com for more information.
Test Subject
#38 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 3:13 AM
I've managed to fix my problem, at least for now. It took uninstalling, doing a system restore, then reinstalling. Seems to work now. We'll see if it keeps working.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 3:38 AM
So if I decide to reinstall (ick!) what files do I save and how do I put them back in?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#40 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 3:48 AM
What do you want to save?
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
What do you want to save?

Hi Jax

I'd like to save my few remaining families and their stuff. I'd also like to save the houses and lots that they are in.

I just noticed this morning (while trying to solve a problem with my modem) that my system restore was off. I'd forgotten I turned it off a couple of weeks ago while trying to rid myself of some spyware. I wonder if this has anything to do with anything?

Also, I noticed that the last microsoft update was on Nov 9th and I've created the families since then so I don't think updates are the problem. The last time I had a problem (thank you Nvidia for not announcing that your driver updates are actually beta releases . . .) I lost all of my little people when I tried to reinstall. I don't think you're supposed to get as attached to them I as I was that bunch.

To answer your question:three families, their homes, custom skins and all my downloads.

thanks
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#42 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 7:49 PM
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 7th Dec 2005 at 3:24 PM
Thanks again jaxad. That worked perfectly.

I finally had time to sit down try it this morning. My system restore has been off for the last month or so, so there is no restore point. However, I uninstalled the most recent windows update just to be on the safe side.

However, the reinstall did no good. I created a sim and even put her in a house for good measure. She was gone when I brought the game back up.

At the risk of exhausting everyone's attention:
Would moving the whole EA Games file to some place like "shared documents" (where the file permissions are different) make any kind of a difference? If so, how do I do this and make sure it finds the file? Or is there a way to get the game to back up to it's own files (inside the folder under Programs) instead of the exterior file? This is where I've been able to save houses and objects and it finds those--just not the sims I've created.

You know, this is an awful lot of money and time to invest in a piece of software that doesn't work right half the time. I e-mailed EA Games over the weekend and have no reply other than the automated (we'll get back to you in 24 hrs) one.

I am discouraged and disgusted. It should not be this hard.

Oh! And by the way--why can't I uninstall the Holiday pack? There's no uninstall (that I can find) for it. Since my troubles began after I installed it, my suspicion is that this is where the problem is.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#44 Old 7th Dec 2005 at 5:59 PM
The holiday pack shouldn't be your problem. Maybe this will help: http://www.sims2techguide.net/article.php?p=1.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 12:34 AM
That didn't work either, but thank you. It's nice to know how to move that file.

I'm going to try a complete reinstall with all my downloads wiped and all the custom houses gone on the off chance that it's a hack or something. I hate giving up on what I already have, but at this point I'm grasping at straws. If this doesn't work, I'll uninstall Office 12 as that's the only other major change I've made.

Thanks for all your help.

mary
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 2:35 AM
Well, I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. After a full reinstall (without saving anything), it seems to be saving my sims again. I reinstalled some objects and those don't seem to be creating any trouble.

I don't intend to reinstall the holiday pack at this point, though I know it's largely made up of object scripts and objects. I'm not saying it's the cause of my trouble, but the timing is supicious.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#47 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 12:36 PM
Well, my problem still isn't resolved. Short of deleting and re-installing the game, is there anything else I can do?

I really do appreciate all the help so far. :smile:

Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#48 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 11:13 PM
Not that we know of.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 11:27 PM
Well, my problem apparently cleared itself up (with all ya'lls help of course). The main EA folder says it's being shared, and I can again create and save goodies, even though the folders swear they're all read-only.

Oh well, I don't pretend to fathom the minds of microcrap and their design flaws.

But, I did want to say it's working again and I'm pretty sure it's directly due to all the help here at MTS2. So...

THANK YOU!!

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 11:57 PM
Okay--so what worked for you? So far the only thing that seems to do it for me is a complete reinstall and even then, a it seems like a few days later I'm back where I started at.

mary
Page 2 of 4