Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#51 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 12:06 AM
From what I've read in the Microsoft documentation, Windows ignores the read-only attribute of folders. Maybe the game doesn't.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 12:33 AM
Yeah, but only when the moon is full? 'Cause I'm good for a few days and then--What? Some bit of code suddenly recognizes that it's been saving stuff to an off limits area? I don't think it's as straight forward as that.

I've looked back over my last few weeks of playing this game and have concluded that my first problems arose after I installed the Holiday Pack. However, Windows also installed an update at about the same time--which I've since uninstalled.

My second problem reappeared after I installed a VPN prog so that I can access the network at work. And my next problem reappeared when I updated Kodak Easy Share (which required uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling because it would only install in french, contacting tech support who sent me a direct link to the french site where the english option was offered and so on . . .). At the same time, I installed a couple of custom houses and moved in a couple of NPCs. So I didn't consider any outside influences until just now.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#53 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 1:11 PM
Jaxad, can you elaborate? How exactly does Windows ignore the read-only attribute?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#54 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 7:23 PM
It says that the read-only attribute for folders is typically ignored by Windows. You can find it here: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549 (yes, thats a link you gave ealier). Look under Cause.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#55 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 8:20 PM
Ahh, sorry- I was thinking you meant for the contents of the folder as well- blonde moment! Duh. A good thing to try for those having problems would to be to make sure that you take off the application of the read only folder status to sub-folders and files- that way, even if the folder attribute couldn't be changed, maybe the contents of the folder could. That may allow the game to save changes properly.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 10:38 PM
I wish that worked.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 4:33 AM Last edited by earthshoes : 21st Dec 2005 at 4:53 AM.
I just did a complete reinstall--with everything reset--all sims gone--only downloads saved and not all of those. I put one sim in the neighborhood and discovered it hadn't found my downloads folder. I shut it down and when when I brought it back up, it said he was there, but the lot (a maxis lot--no furniture on the site as of yet) wouldn't load.
Test Subject
#58 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 8:27 AM Last edited by pokose7en : 23rd Dec 2005 at 9:13 AM.
Oh dear...

Seems like there's no way to fix this problem T_T
I have to fully uninstall and install them again.

How to make sure if I reintall it, the problem won't happen again?
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 10:28 AM
I've decided to do several things. I removed a couple of hacks (minor ones)--and I've avoided the gypsy (no love potion)--I'm becoming superstitious, but I did have characters walking around with the stuff the last two times Sims started disappearing (I doubt it has anything to do with it--but I decided I can work without it). I've only designed one Sim. All the others have been Maxis created. It's been three days and so far so good.

In actuality,my pet theory is that when we change the system by adding or removing programs or updates, Windows resets the file permissions and atleast some of us are back where we started.
So for now, no windows updates or installations of anything.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#60 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 10:37 AM
I always turn off the automatic updates anyway- there are many problems that they cause, and the last thing you want when playing is for your computer to be attempting to patch up the operating system! I would always stick to manual updates. earthshoes, your theory sounds plausible- I definitely think it's permissions that are the problem here.
Test Subject
#61 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 5:15 AM
I reinstalled both Sims and Sims Uni
But, I still have this problem, my new neigborhood disappear after quit the game.
What should I do?
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 7:55 AM
You may have to wipe out all traces of the game (including what's in your registry--if any) and start from scratch. I gave up on trying to force it to accept the saved games files.
Test Subject
#63 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 10:34 AM
Oh dear... I'm not good at computer, how can I clean my registry file?
If there's nothing I can do
Should I throw Sims disk or MS Windows out??? Pick one for me

I'm getting mad T_T
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#64 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 2:35 PM
Windows- every time! Here's a guide to force uninstalling the game:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...3654#post913654
Test Subject
#65 Old 25th Dec 2005 at 6:35 AM
thx anyway
#66 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 7:42 AM
I've been having this same problem and found this thread in the hopes that the answer had already been found. It's not an issue related to folder attributes, I'm sure of that. For me, this problem started immediately after installing the Nightlife patch. Is anyone having this problem who didn't install the patch?
Test Subject
#67 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 4:02 PM
My sims worked fine for a while, then it refused to save sims, just the families, the neighbourhoods saved fine, I uninstalled the game completely and then reinstalled and it saved normally in tests with the original and university, but not with night life which when installed refused to save. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
#68 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 4:16 PM
That's exactly what mine is doing. It didn't start until immediately after installing the patch for Nightlife. Now, it won't save my sims, just the neighborhood and lots. It works fine so long as Nightlife isn't installed. I think it must have something to do with the patch, but I don't know what exactly the problem is. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, checking folder attributes to make sure nothing is read-only. I even cut and pasted my My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ folder to another drive so that the game couldn't find it, and it just loaded up with the starter neighborhoods and still wouldn't save my sims. So I know it has nothing to do with a hack or any other download. It's a problem with the game itself. I'm going to keep working on it... I'll let you know if I figure it out.
#69 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 6:47 PM
Okay. I got my Sims 2 game working normally again. How long it'll last is anyone's guess. I uninstalled completely. First Nightlife, then University, then Original Sims 2. I re-installed to another hard drive. Installed both expansion packs, created a brand new sim and moved him into a lot. Exited out, and went back in. He's right where I left him. Something gets left behind when you uninstall. I'm not sure what it is. Could be a registry entry, though how that would keep the game from saving a file to the hard drive, I don't know. Whenever I re-installed to the same directory, the problem persisted as if I'd never uninstalled to begin with. I re-installed to a new drive, just to get my game as far away from it's original location as possible, but I think it'll work if you just put the game and both expansion packs in different directories on the same drive. I still think the patch had something to do with it, and I won't be re-installing it. Hope that helps, LadyLuthien.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#70 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 9:00 PM
The patch has caused problems for many but not all users. Main symptom is things not saving.
Test Subject
#71 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 11:01 PM
Hi everybody,
well, we had the same problem, too (sims/families didn't save at all after quitting the game, but lots or neighbourhoods did normally).We were able to fix the problem.

Ok, here's our solution:
Unfortunately you have to reinstall your Sims2 games.

1. Uninstall Sims2.
Make sure that you delete the "EA Games" folder in the programs folder, move the "EA Games" folder from My Documents\EA Games to MY Documents\EA Games_backup. You can reuse it later.
Delete the EA Games key in the registry too (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES). For a tutorial how to wipe out your Sims2 game, see http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...3654#post913654. The link has already been posted before in this thread.

2. Reinstall Sims2, Uni, NL, Patch Uni, Patch NL, Holiday pack
You don't have to install it in different folders or on separate hard disks. Standard installation will do.

Now the saving of sims should be possible again. It is important to really wipe out any old installation otherwise it won't work (believe us, we tried it).

3. Now you can copy your backup game back into the My Documents folder and enable custom content again.

So, what might have caused the trouble?
In our opinion there are two possible reasons:

1. We had the NL Patch installed without installing the Uni Patch before. Around that time the problems started. So don't skip any patch. When we reinstalled the game we did it in the correct row (see above).
2. Something in the registry (see key above) got messed up. Especially the CacheSize entry looks like it could cause trouble. But we cannot track this because we didn't save the registry before the reinstallation. We can provide those who are interested in with the correct key (the one after the new installation).

So, we hope, our descriptions are understandable and helpfull

greetings,
kaira & joe
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#72 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 11:21 PM
Thankyou! I will link anyone else who has this problem to your post; we'll soon be able to see if this works for other people. Thankyou for the information!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 1:07 AM
So does this mean that I can (hopefully) update windows again? Most of the time I don't worry about it (I'm not interesting enough for anyone to want control of my computer), but the most recently revealed weakness has me a little concerned.
Test Subject
#74 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 3:10 AM
My problem is along the lines of the first post. My custom neighborhood disappeared from the neighborhood selection screen but the file is still there in the Neighborhoods folder in My Documents. I had a backup and went with it and that worked until I exited the game and came back. Same thing happened. I went into SimPE and it couldnt ever read the neighborhood. I have no idea why this happened all of the sudden. It's like my custom neighborhood keeps getting corrupted.
Test Subject
#75 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 7:25 AM
You can update windows if you like. The last update on our computer was on August 2005 so the problem has nothing to deal with updates. Neither with directory rights.

Draxon57: I don't know whether your problem has the same reason. It sounds similarely. Maybe try our way to fix it. Good luck

As always: be carefull when dealing with the registry. Please read the instructions on the indicated link carefully.
Page 3 of 4