Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 8:35 PM
Default Excellent!
Im all for it.

Seriously folks, a LOT of the stuff in here is complete pap (sorry, just being honest). I saw a sim upload the other day, it was just an average run of the mill in-game created sim running around in what the creator described as some sort of superhero costume, with a really sad cape. I mean really....

I come from a design background and there is no better way to improve than to be in a certain 'class' (ie. painting 'class', dancing 'class' etc etc). When youre in a certain 'class' you begin to conform to the set standard of the environment you are in. You begin to learn from other 'students'. You improve. Kudos to the brilliant people behind the site for this decision and for definitely raising the bar, setting a higher 'class' for all future creators. People will now think twice before uploading any piece of crap they knocked up in half-an-hour after coming home from the pub.

Goodbye to the 1543651475th recolour of an existing skin, goodbye to *another 4 walls house*, goodbye to 'another 300 recolours of this object!'. Maybe im being harsh but c'mon people, take a look at the Featured Items section. Doesnt that just fill you with awe? Thats what we should all aspire to.

Onward modthesims2!! Take no prisoners...argghh!:arghmaty:
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 9:04 PM
So we need to have say...at least 4 Creative points? Ha! Ha! See what I did? I made a reference to TS2...well, it made ME laugh. But on a serious note, I like this idea. I KNOW I could use some constructive critisism, especially when it comes to my creative efforts, so a little flag(sign) if placed on my work will let me know that I should take it up a notch... AND...I am finished rambling.

Sexy Sweet
Native Girl
Instructor
#53 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 10:05 PM
This is a great idea. I've noticed lately how a great deal of content isn't up to standards, and I'm glad something is being done about it.
Test Subject
#54 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 1:45 AM
bless you for the rule about lighting .I `ve skiped items that I couldn`t see because the screen-shot was too dark
Scholar
#55 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 3:45 AM Last edited by 9b8ll : 30th Mar 2006 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Whoops spelling :)
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
If you followed the guidelines, it wont be tagged.
(I know this a late responce btw) the guidelines it makes very good sense it really all about improving your skills here and making the best content out there
Test Subject
#56 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 12:51 PM
Default Great idea!
This is a great idea. I subscribe to TSR. There is some amazing stuff there. However, I tire of wading through the junk. I mean, why do you need to take a maxis stove and make 20 recolors of it? Or make the same lingerie in every conceivable color? It's ridiculous. Practice at home and put the finished perfected product on the site. It makes perfect sense.

Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship.
Zeuxis
Greek painter (~400 BC)
Test Subject
#57 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 3:40 PM
I think this is a good move, and should not be taken as an insult or criticism by the creators of the content... but instead perhaps a challenge to make it just a bit better.
Test Subject
#58 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 5:21 PM
I agree with this as mts2 has some of the best d-loads I am not a moder but i come here to find some of the best stuff thx guys for all the great stuff u rock....
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 7:13 PM
Great idea. I've been posting on the Exchange to avoid inflicting my custom experiements on this site - until they are good enough.

I'd like to see clothing which does not match at the seams, square patches of pasted texture or gaps in the texture removed too. Also some kind of limit on the number of recolors posted of the same outfit - sometimes there a eight recolors of the same T-shirt in one download file.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#60 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 8:36 PM
May I make a suggestion for tag item notes? There have been several wonderful downloads that give URL's pointing to other people's meshes, as they should, but many of the URL's just dump us at a home page, leaving us to wander around looking for the mesh. A link to the page of the mesh would be appreciated. I don't always have time to hunt around for meshes on other sites.

Also, some of the meshes are on a pay site, which is ok, but I'd like to know that up front rather than waste time hunting for a mesh only to find out I have to pay to even see it much less download it. I don't mind paying for a good mesh because I appreciate good content but, I may skip the download if I don't have cash in my Paypal account that day.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by senicynt
May I make a suggestion for tag item notes? There have been several wonderful downloads that give URL's pointing to other people's meshes, as they should, but many of the URL's just dump us at a home page, leaving us to wander around looking for the mesh.

Some creators ask that those using their meshes do not link directly to the page that the mesh is on because they want people to see their whole site, it may not be convenient but as a texture creator I have to obey the wishes of those who create the meshes I use.
Alchemist
#62 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 11:05 AM
I just wanted to say, kudos for making a decision which as an admin myself know is difficult as it's bound to create some anger among some of the members, but in the long run it will be benificial not only for keeping down bandwidth costs, but also for the downloaders and the creators themselves. For once, finding quality items will be ensured for all, and for the creators, we all learned somewhere. With some practice and the help of the many great tutorials around their work can only improve. At least, I strive for improvement

However I wanted to comment on the linking of meshes to the mesh page itself - I try to as much as I can - but there are sites where all pages open under the same URL. Personally, I don't know how to link a specific page in that situation...

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Field Researcher
#63 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 5:50 PM
Hey did anyone ask are apinion? lol
I would hate to see my uploads removed, even tho I recolored the cream set before it was so easy to do, who really needs hundreds of recolors of the same objects.
Great Idea.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 1st Apr 2006 at 11:19 PM
this sounds fair to me, good idea
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#65 Old 1st Apr 2006 at 11:57 PM
KiwiSafari, stop posting in this thread.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 12:13 AM
My guess is that the question has nothing to do with the topic?

Anyway, kudos to all of you for doing the download restrictions.

Sotalia

ps And I would suggest you quit spamming the thread. Mods are everywhere.
Super Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#67 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shotgun_mary
Some creators ask that those using their meshes do not link directly to the page that the mesh is on because they want people to see their whole site, it may not be convenient but as a texture creator I have to obey the wishes of those who create the meshes I use.

To answer this- we respect that as well and forbid hotlinking- wha we need you all to do is to say "This dress requires a mesh from www.somesimsite.com
it is called mesh_01heels.package and is on page 4- 4th row down"

clear instructions so people dont have to wander to find whatt hey need
Test Subject
#68 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 5:00 AM
I think the clean up is great. I don't creat but I do lots of downloading and I appreciate that it will be eaiser to find quality downloads. :nod:
Test Subject
#69 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 5:54 AM
ya this is pretty good could you maybe set up a arcive though that lists the item with a SS/discription and link/name of the creator so if we want to find something that has been removed (say a recolour or a mesh) we can just go to the creators site for it. i say that as most of the more expert creators have their own sites or locations they load it to as well as here. so if something is removed like say that snowglobe we can just go to the creators site and get it there...

it would maybe give the creator traffic, as well as let everyone get some cool items that have been removed here.

i mean just because it cant be uploaded here doesnt mean its not worth the time to find it and download it. some stuff might not look too great but you got to start some where .

but this is a nice idea .. kind of sucks having to spam though pages looking for 1 upload X_X;
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 6:07 AM
OOooo man im in trouble now..

Ok so will you take "Quality Crappy Textures"..I think the Trashed Thread is doomed =)

I agree time to remove some old files, now if youll excuse me...
"takes head outta @ss and see's what she can fix"

Ps even my avatar is crappy :gonemad:

Opinions are like A**holes, we all have one....
Test Subject
#71 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Akarui Kibuno
Hi! I'm quite happy about this decision of tagging, I've seen at least a few items that used quite good meshes (in my opinion) but could have used a little more work on the uploader's side.

Though I think I read in the thread that there should/could be a "beginner's" section, which wouldn't be that bad. I mean, with all the talented people here, there sure would be some benefit to see new creators come, help them improve, then we'd have even more quality uploaders XD ... I'm in the middle of trying to create walls and floors myself, then I'll try to build a house with it, and if I succeed I might as well try clothing XD .

Good luck with the tagging though. With so many downloads here ....

I agree with Akarui Kibuno. Well, maybe instead of tagging and removing, you could tag it and say that it's going to be moved to the "Newbie Creator Section", and then it would be like AK's idea. It's just a thought.

Chyah!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#72 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 4:24 PM
We have no plans to make a "Beginners Creator" download section at this time.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Instructor
#73 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Here is a list of what we have been tagging for so far: (Please note this is an ongoing process)
  • Any sims that are predominantly maxis content AND use nothing but a standard maxis face sculpt from body shop have been tagged. These sims are easily replicatable and do not show off the true level of your ability at making sims.

Delphy, I think this is a great idea, and no longer hosting low quality downloads will save everybody's time (and your bandwidth). However, I would like it if you did not delete sims that are just a face sculpt- I actually prefer those, since that is what matters most to me when I dl a sim, and fancy skins/content can often hide what is an ugly sim underneath the makeup. Making a good shape for the face, IMO, is the most challenging. Just my two cents.
Test Subject
#74 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 6:01 AM
I think It's a smart move. While I'm of the attitude that one Sim's trash is another Sim's treasure, some of it is- to be quite honest, total rubbish. I can accept that some items do not fit within the guidelines of my own personal taste, but not bothering to make something seamless, or 'making' a stove or toilet or whatever by overlapping some random image over the Maxis texture is just laziness.

I can appreciate the time it takes to truly put forth effort into something, upload it... And then see it devoured by pages of psychedelic monstrosities.

As such, I don't think it should discourage people from creating items... On the contrary it should be ample motivation to practice and improve. I know if I had something tagged, I wouldn't take it as a personal attack; I would simply look at the tagged set and say to myself, "How can I make this better?"

So, kudos.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 11:54 AM
As someone who is just downloading from this site (sorry.. I'm just too lazy and unskilled...) I love this new guideline. I don't have to browse through tons of stuff that I won't download anyway or will have to remove from my game later on...
Thanks a lot!! MTS2 keeps getting better and better! :-)
Page 3 of 7