Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Package Watcher (new package watcher)

by ScoobyDoo Posted 26th Feb 2007 at 10:39 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:14 PM by Nysha

42 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 40 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 11:55 AM
This looks promising and interesting, thank you for sharing, i will download and test in the future :-)

You will find my older and newest creations here
sugarfree sugarette
#3 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 12:24 PM
Wow, sounds great to me! Thank you! :D

"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 12:25 PM
I don't understand what this does. Is it a way to find, and subsequently remove, downloads based on time of installation?

My collection of downloads is obscenely large, hence I don't have them all installed at any given time. I'm always trying to figure out a better way of managing them. I am definitely interested in understanding how your tool might help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 12:39 PM
Basically what it does is first create a list of files in your downloads folder, allow you then to install new packages, etc. Finally it'll compare the file listings before and after. Any new files posted afterwards will then be placed into a new entry. You can give it the name of the package/simpack and description (like url link).

You can then view the packages that were installed at that time and have it automatically remove them.

Right now it's rather basic, it'll just check names, theres no date-time stamp checking or CRC checking.

edit: btw replace "packet" with "package"

double edit: Also this won't help with packages already installed. Although you could remove them, run this app and reinstall them and then they'll show up.
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 12:44 PM
I had a problem with JIT debugger. I tried to delete package and it cleared my whole Downloads folder. Good luck that I had a backup, because I had over 900 downloads there.
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 12:59 PM
How does this differ to Sims2Pack Clean installer...?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 1:00 PM
I think I found the bug and removed the option to remove empty folders completely for now.

REMEMBER TO backup YOUR DOWNLOADS FOLDER!
Thats one option I see I'll be adding.

edit: ohhh Directory.GetDirectories () will include "." (the current directory).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elwiss
How does this differ to Sims2Pack Clean installer...?

This does nothing with actually installing packages. You start this program. Click the "Start remembering changes" button. Run the Clean Installer and install your package, and click "Finish". Any packages added (not previously existing) will then be recorded by this app.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 1:48 PM
This could some in handy. I like to cull my downloads everyone and while, get rid of older files and keep newer ones. Thank you.

** Patrick Stewart + Felicia Day + Bruce Campbell + zombie invasion + the cast of Firefly = my happiness.
Or, Chocolate ... yea I'll go with chocolate. **
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 1:58 PM
This isn't a mod of the game files or code; it's more of a tool for new packages, so I'm moving this to the correct forum, which is Modding Tools.

DDO
Greatest Dad Ever
#12 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 2:59 PM
Man with 15,000 + downloads in my folder this would have come in handy about a year ago .....This does look very promising as another way to keep track of ALL these downloads ....Thank You !!!!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 3:03 PM
I have been trying to figure out how to do exactly this for awhile now instead of downloading new items to my desktop, moving it into my download folder, starting the game to make sure it still runs correctly, shut down the game and move the next file in.

If I am understanding this correctly now I will be able to see exactly which files I last downloaded to narrow down the problem file. Is this correct?

I will download this tonight as start testing.
Test Subject
#14 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 3:35 PM
What is .NET 2.0
Greatest Dad Ever
#15 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 3:54 PM
microsoft .net framework ....You can get it at the microsoft homepage so long as you have a legal copy of windows ...
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 4:28 PM
Bah lightweights =P I have 47,000 or so files so I'll give it a stress test (btw anything over about 10.5gb or 48,000+ files = game crash when using catalogue).

Thanks Scooby for this =) I actually use a similar style of program to keep track of progs I install/uninstall and registry changes - you can never have enough monitoring :D

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kimmyfrmtx
I have been trying to figure out how to do exactly this for awhile now instead of downloading new items to my desktop, moving it into my download folder, starting the game to make sure it still runs correctly, shut down the game and move the next file in.

If I am understanding this correctly now I will be able to see exactly which files I last downloaded to narrow down the problem file. Is this correct?

I will download this tonight as start testing.

Correct. Personally I'd have it watch every package or Simpack seperately. As soon as this can be considered stable, I'd like to add on a few features that would help you. Ability to backup the entire download folder and move package groups to/from downloads/holding folder, ideal for buggy pacakage hunting.

Quote: Originally posted by tigmomx4
microsoft .net framework ....You can get it at the microsoft homepage so long as you have a legal copy of windows ...

Also if you have Vista, you've already got .NET installed.
Test Subject
#18 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 12:45 AM
thank you for that but what does .net actually do?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 1:24 AM
.NET is sorta Microsoft's version of Java.

I wish I knew more about package file structure. I'd like to add dependency checking.
Instructor
#20 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 2:42 AM
I'll wait a little bit before testing because i have too many files to back up... But it's look very useful and i will try it, i need it!

Thanks for sharing and ill try later ...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 2:58 AM
What I normal do is go into "z:\ea games", select "The sims 2", hit ctrl+c and then ctrl+v (copy and then paste). It'll copy everything into "Copy of The Sims 2".

I was wrong I don't have 500, it's more like 1500, and i've got only about a 1/5 reinstalled. UGH
Test Subject
#22 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 3:40 PM
well done just what i need thanks .
will let you know of any probs if any.
thanks donna
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Feb 2007 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Loverat
Bah lightweights =P I have 47,000 or so files so I'll give it a stress test (btw anything over about 10.5gb or 48,000+ files = game crash when using catalogue).

Thanks Scooby for this =) I actually use a similar style of program to keep track of progs I install/uninstall and registry changes - you can never have enough monitoring :D

47,000!
Actually if your machine is fast enough it shouldn't be a problem. I just tested on a folder with about 9,000 files and it only took a few seconds to do both scans and find any differences between the two. And this is a P2@450Mhz. Program Files, which contains about 140,000 files took about 13 minutes, course who has THAT many packages installed. I was going to do the entire drive, but "System Volume Information" is locked and caused the app to crash.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 2nd Mar 2007 at 9:29 PM
Personally, I find the most current files in my hefty Downloads folder "the old-fashioned way". I open the downloads folder, right-click, and choose date modified, right-click again, and chose modified again. Now all my files are in order from newest to oldest!
No newfangled gadgets fer me, no sir ree mister!
(Pack mule whinnies in approval)
Test Subject
#25 Old 2nd Mar 2007 at 10:09 PM
Yes, I did the same from the start, Windows can do the same easily...
Page 1 of 2