Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Hospitality Career - Adults Only ** UPDATE! Custom Icon Added! **

by iconofroses Posted 6th Jun 2007 at 9:13 PM - Updated 13th Jun 2007 at 11:43 AM by whiterider : Fixing Q-Xpress links

28 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 25 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 10:22 AM
Nice idea, I'll give it a try. ^,^
Test Subject
#3 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 11:08 AM
I was trying to write up a Career like this based on Lorelai Gilmore's profession, but this is great. Definitely giving it a try, thanks for making it.
Test Subject
#4 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 11:58 AM
As someone in the hospitality industry, this is all too familiar! I'll be sure to try it soon.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 1:17 PM
Custom icons are not really hard at all. Just open your career up in SimPE and find the icons in it. There should be an export button over on the right side of the screen. Press that for each of the five icons so that they will be saved as picture files somewhere on your computer. Then you can open them up with a graphics editor of some sort and change them to what you want them to be. Once you've done that, you go back to your career and right-click on the first icon resource. There will be an option to replace the current file. Choose that and then select your custom icon file (make sure you saved it in .png format). Then it will ask you if you want to reload the image since it's changed. When you do that you should see your new icon. Commit and save. Repeat for the other four files and you're done.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 2:58 PM
Cool!! Thank you so much..,
Test Subject
#7 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 3:04 PM
very cool, thanks. xo
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 3:45 PM
Good idea Thanks

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
This is how long I spend playing The Sims 2
Wow, my head stopped my body from getting really hurt on that! Johnny Knoxville
Not actually evil.
#9 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 5:00 PM
Great idea, but one tiny typo. Level 9, "overload" -> "overlord"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Great idea, but one tiny typo. Level 9, "overload" -> "overlord"

Oops! You know, I read the descriptions a million and one times and never caught that. Thanks. I'll fix the typo in the game when I add on the custom icon.

Quote: Originally posted by FennShysa
Custom icons are not really [ ... ]

I tried that, actually. I had found one of the tutorials for custom icon, made the icons and went back in to SimPE to add them and thought, "Woo! Icons." Except they didn't show in the game and my Sims wouldn't go to work. >< So, it went back to using the Business icons. I'll keep trying, though. If you don't succeed the first time, try, try and try again.

Quote: Originally posted by SGSimfan
As someone in the hospitality industry, [ ... ]

Ding ding! Lol. Funnily enough, I wrote half of the levels and descriptions while being at work... at a hotel, lol.

"Problems, problems, problems! The world is bringing me nothing but problems. ... Who are you?"
"We're the world."
Test Subject
#11 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 1:50 AM
I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:*:*

GabbyGirl2
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 11:07 AM
good work
thanks
Field Researcher
#13 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iconofroses
I tried that, actually. I had found one of the tutorials for custom icon, made the icons and went back in to SimPE to add them and thought, "Woo! Icons." Except they didn't show in the game and my Sims wouldn't go to work. >< So, it went back to using the Business icons. I'll keep trying, though. If you don't succeed the first time, try, try and try again.

Hmmm. That's strange. The method I described is the one I used on my career and the icons work just fine. Sounds like the career got corrupted somehow.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FennShysa
Hmmm. That's strange. The method I described is the one I used on my career and the icons work just fine. Sounds like the career got corrupted somehow.

Best possibility of what happened. I'll be going back to fiddling with icons once I finish fleshing out a couple of the current projects I'm working on.

"Problems, problems, problems! The world is bringing me nothing but problems. ... Who are you?"
"We're the world."
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 12:22 AM
looks like fun gonna go play right now so i can try it out great job!!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 1:26 AM
EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK! I can't wait to try it out!

Hmmmm... a sim to follow in my own footsteps, only to live the same life I live! I hope you've built this with 14-hour days, a rude and uncaring public, and no set days off, 15,000 fires to put out after taking one day off, and absolutely no holidays to spend with families! Oooo! Am I projecting?! Please accept my sincere and most humble apologies... I am downloading now because I am a true glutton for punishment. Why else would I be in the hospitality business?!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Von40mouse
EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK! I can't wait to try it out!

Hmmmm... a sim to follow in my own footsteps, only to live the same life I live! I hope you've built this with 14-hour days, a rude and uncaring public, and no set days off, 15,000 fires to put out after taking one day off, and absolutely no holidays to spend with families! Oooo! Am I projecting?! Please accept my sincere and most humble apologies... I am downloading now because I am a true glutton for punishment. Why else would I be in the hospitality business?!

LMBO! No, hon, I was kind to our Sims, lol. Though, believe me, when I first started making the career the hours and hell I go through was put in there. However, I decided our Sims did not need that kind of craziness. They go through enough as is sometimes! However, be careful with those chance cards ... lol. Just a wee bit of warning.

"We're the world."
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 4:40 AM
This works great - my sim is currently at level 7 and no glitches or bugs to report. Thank you very much!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 4:17 AM
I just deleted all my custom careers because they didn't have career rewards. So, thank you for the career reward! Now I'm inspired to build a hotel!

(I guess that is kind of a weird reason, isn't it? Meh, I'm nuts.)
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 5:12 AM
I can't wait to see what type of custom icon you make for this awesome career

"Too weird to live. Too rare to die" - Hunter S Thompson.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 13th Jun 2007 at 9:10 AM Last edited by iconofroses : 13th Jun 2007 at 9:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by deelink
I can't wait to see what type of custom icon you make for this awesome career

I'm thinking someone's got some ESP going on with my SimPE.

Took me a couple days just to decide between which icon to use. It was the "least abstract" icon I had made for the career, so it won, lol.

Quote: Originally posted by astillac
I just deleted all my custom careers because they didn't have career rewards. So, thank you for the career reward! Now I'm inspired to build a hotel!

Aah! I cannot wait for the next EP! I'm really hoping it's going to let us build resorts and/or hotels. I have a quasi hotel in one of my neighborhoods, with much thanks to OFB EP, but it's not the same and my poor little Sims get so tired of cleaning, lol.

"We're the world."
Test Subject
#22 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 1:09 AM
Hey iconofroses great career concept. I'm downloading it and will try it out as soon as I get the chance. One itsy bitsy suggestion though... since you've gone through all the trouble of typing out the discriptions of each career level right here for all of us to see, would you mind putting up the salaries of each level as well? It'd be really helpful and appreciated Thanks again!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fantasia1980
Hey iconofroses great career concept. I'm downloading it and will try it out as soon as I get the chance. One itsy bitsy suggestion though... since you've gone through all the trouble of typing out the discriptions of each career level right here for all of us to see, would you mind putting up the salaries of each level as well? It'd be really helpful and appreciated Thanks again!

If I get some additional time this week, I'll go through and get the salaries for each level. (My main problem with that is although I write out each level description prior to building the career, I've started the habit of randomly deciding salaries, lol. I pick a random number and go, "Oh, that looks good!")

"We're the world."
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 5:42 PM
What skills are required for this career? Usually, I have my kids work on building skills for the job they are going to want when they grow up.

*Some people only dream of angels; we held one in our arms.*
Remembering Jacob March 8 - 9, 1996
Our Angel
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 5:26 PM
The primary three skills needed are Charisma, Creativity and Logic. However, Cleaning and Mechanical are thrown in there very early on but only require a one or two in each.

"We're the world."
Page 1 of 2