Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

UPDATE Sept. 29, 2019: Elaine's Enchanted Picture (Television)

by Sophie-David Posted 28th Nov 2007 at 8:13 AM - Updated 2nd Oct 2019 at 4:20 AM by Sophie-David : Sept. 2019 Update

49 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 39 Feedback Posts, 9 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
#2 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 4:34 PM
This is such an interesting object as it can be use in any type of lot from medieval to modern. Thanks and good luck!
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 4:40 PM
Thank you!

Yes, I was surprised at how natural it looked in a modern home. In contemporary technology an LCD or plasma screen could use a classical painting as a screensaver.

You will notice however that the painting is somewhat prescient! A Sim just has to think about watching television and before they actually sit down to turn it on the painting will have already cleared to show a blank screen! :D
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 4:41 PM
Awesome idea, I really love this. Thank you :D
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 4:48 PM
You are welcome - and I admire your dramatic avatar!
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 5:01 PM
Default View from Garderobe!
During my close intimacy with the Sims 2 television over the past month I noticed a rather surprising feature that has been introduced sometime since the Base Game. The standard Sims 2 television has a "Watch from Toilet" option that is only available once a Sim is actually sitting on the john. Not all Sims will do so, so it must be tied to personality in some way. This is however a rather buggy option, because when the newspaper disappears from the Sim's hands the Sim remains sitting with her or his arms up while watching the television.

In my modified object the menu option is changed to "View from Garderobe". I did not include a picture since it seemed out of place with the fae theme. But here is your local cop catching up on the latest news (or soap?)
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#7 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 5:26 PM
A wonderful idea! But I think you ought to change the title - I think some people might think its just a painting recolour... (I did, and then wondered why a painting had 7 comments. I figured it must look real good, and was pleasantly surprised by the content!)

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 5:42 PM
Yes, especially since mirrors and Pre-Raphaelite paintings have been my specialty. But the low key title seems appropriate to the contest, so I will leave it at that.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 5:43 PM
Oooh, I hope the painting part becomes recolourable someday - this would fit perfectly in a castle I'm recreating! Thank you~
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sh0uriki
Oooh, I hope the painting part becomes recolourable someday - this would fit perfectly in a castle I'm recreating! Thank you~
You wouldn't believe the number of hours I was obsessed with getting a recolourable painting to work! But there is something strange happening with the television object when the game loads, so when you think your custom object should have control during its Load phase it really doesn't. I even tried using a simple animation to move the painting out of the way - but that resulted in an object that crashed the game right from the catalogue!

Personally I much prefer La Grande Odalisque as a painting that my Sims and I will be focused on for a good portion of their lives so making a fully recolourable object will remain my priority.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 7:47 PM
That is so fantastic, thanks for thinking of it! :D
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 9:17 PM
What a super-cool idea! Nifty.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Scholar
#13 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 9:51 PM
Oh ! It was in time so ? Good thing Sophie-David ! It will be a pleasure to use it in game. :lovestruc Thank you for all !

All of nature is within us and we are part of all nature (Chief White Cloud)
Forum Resident
#14 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 1:43 AM
Oh, what an ingenious idea! This is perfect for Victorian households, as well as fairytale homes. Thank you!
Test Subject
#15 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 7:01 AM
Lovely idea. ^^ It'll look wonderful in my more old-fashioned houses.
Alchemist
#16 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 11:09 AM
This is a really *magical* contribution to the contest! Great! Thank you,
(and I also enjoyed very much the technobabbel about tv´s and toilets... hahaha) and will try it out at once!
Theorist
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 1:40 PM
Thank you for all the encouragement, and a special thanks for Mihura's dedicated work on the translations!

It appears that I will be able to implement recolours, but this is still in the debugging stage. My apologies also for the rather pixelated and overly weathered gold textures on the edges of the frame - and with a one pixel line missing (white) in the UV map! I was rather hurried when I did them, having focused all my attention on getting the magic screen to work properly. I will wait to gather up these and several other improvements into one new update.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 9:32 PM
Amazingly creative idea!!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 12:17 AM
This is really, really nice. It works beautifully and adds a real touch of elegance to the home. You say it's still in the debugging stage, but I haven't had a problem with it. Sorry I can't help you! But I totally love it.
Theorist
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Silky-M
This is really, really nice. It works beautifully and adds a real touch of elegance to the home. You say it's still in the debugging stage, but I haven't had a problem with it. Sorry I can't help you! But I totally love it.
Thank you Silky!

It is actually the new version that supports picture recolours that is still in the debugging stage. Yes, I think you will find that the currently released version is quite stable and compatible with the various game configurations. I have tried to make it a patch rather than a hack, meaning that it does not attempt to modify Maxis code directly, but works around it.

But there is one small problem with the current version that I think I would call a bug. I just realized last night that there is no support for the video game machine. If you play a video game with this object the painting will not disappear, so you will not see the game. Of course I was not thinking of contemporary scenarios when I designed it, but when I finished I realized that it goes quite well in a modern but classy living room.

In any event I should have the new version posted within a few days.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#21 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 9:20 PM
This is a great idea, nicely done!

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#22 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 9:27 PM
Default I need Help!!
Well... i am wirting here because i dont know how to open a new thread so...
where do i put a download file??
Theorist
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 10:59 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 3rd Dec 2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Had to disable smilies!
Quote: Originally posted by Hopboni
Well... i am wirting here because i dont know how to open a new thread so...
where do i put a download file??
Please see this help article on downloading.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 5th Dec 2007 at 11:07 PM
very nice! good work!

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 6th Dec 2007 at 4:49 PM
Finally, I was wondering why anyone hadn't done something like this. I was settling for recolors I made of the wall tv. Thank so much.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2