Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*UPDATED WITH GATES* A Chain Link Fence! (New Mesh)

by KevinsHope Posted 10th Sep 2008 at 11:26 PM - Updated 14th Sep 2008 at 4:36 AM by KevinsHope

70 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 53 Feedback Posts, 16 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 11:52 PM
Thank you for making this! It looks great! :D

(( ))
// \\ Pass the pink ribbon around if you know someone living with, has survived, or passed away from cancer.
Not actually evil.
#3 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 11:57 PM
These look great, but why model the chainlink when it could have been done with one square polygon and a chainlink texture? (except for the posts, clearly)

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 12:16 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I looked all over for one of these several months ago, and settled on one that wasn't really a chain link fence. I can't believe someone didn't make this earlier! It looks great!!

The best stories come from real life. Check out my Sim story at S2C:
Back To Love
Field Researcher
#5 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
These look great, but why model the chainlink when it could have been done with one square polygon and a chainlink texture? (except for the posts, clearly)

Probably so you can see through the fence.

I think its great. Thanks!!
Not actually evil.
#6 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Selene1212
Probably so you can see through the fence.
You can see through textures with an alpha channel.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 1:09 AM
Any chance you could make a taller version? It would be great for the park I'm building in my Downtown in my game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius

Well, I had actually played around with using a blended texture, but it looses volume as you circle around the fence. It looks okay, but it felt so flat to me. I just couldn't get the effect I wanted that way. I am a bit of a perfectionist, and, if the poly count will allow it, I'm going to add as much detail as possable. I don't believe in doing anything half way. I actually wish I could have added more detail to the fencing, but it looks good as is.

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]I think that the only real way to be hypocrisy free is to stand up for nothing…and I’d rather deal with sometimes being a hypocrite than wake up one day, prostrate in my own apathy.
. *Me*
Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 10:59 AM
Default Re: Taller Fence
Quote: Originally posted by ShortyBoo
Any chance you could make a taller version? It would be great for the park I'm building in my Downtown in my game.

There a tall chain link fence already on site. You can find it here:http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=248511. It's not in the exact same style of the one above, but I thought it was decent enough. You can also find more chain link fences on Brasstex MtS2 profile.

As for this download, it seems interesting enough. Especially since there is a dark grey version. I might consider downloading it, but I'm not sure yet.
Scholar
#10 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 1:40 PM
Fence looks Wonderful!! I need this actually for the lot I am working on - thank you!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 2:50 PM
I like the tall version. It's good that there is a shorter version, but I think kevinhope should make a gate to go with it. and he should check the link that SerenaInuyasha referred to.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 5:17 PM
Wow, I was just thinking the other day that the game needed a true chain link fence. I got so tired of trying to pretend the iron one was a "normal" fence. Thank you, this will add just the right touch to my "project" houses and my school yards.
Not actually evil.
#13 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KevinsHope
Well, I had actually played around with using a blended texture, but it looses volume as you circle around the fence. It looks okay, but it felt so flat to me.
Allrighty. It does look lovely the way you made it.

Test Subject
#14 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 9:08 PM
Good job with the fence! I'd been thinking about making one recently, but yours looks great.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 10:33 PM
thanks! i've always wanted a chainlink and could never understand why maxis never made one. so many people do have one. and you can see through it! thanks!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simlifegirl
I like the tall version. It's good that there is a shorter version, but I think kevinhope should make a gate to go with it. and he should check the link that SerenaInuyasha referred to.

Please feel free to help me with the gate. I'm actually working on one, but I am having trouble importing the joints into MilkShape. I'll figure it out this weekend and add the gate to this post. Check back next week some time.

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]I think that the only real way to be hypocrisy free is to stand up for nothing…and I’d rather deal with sometimes being a hypocrite than wake up one day, prostrate in my own apathy.
. *Me*
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 2:10 AM
Thanks SO much for this fence! This is exactly what I've been wishing for for so long :-)
Test Subject
#18 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 2:25 AM
This is great! Not everyone can "afford" the iron and other fences. LOL
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 2:44 AM
This is the kind of fence that's used most often in the part of the real world where I live, so I'm thrilled to see it for the game. Thank you!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
#20 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 2:59 AM
thanks so much! I've always wanted a chain link fence, although they're not preferred much. ^^
Instructor
#21 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 7:56 AM
Thank you for this - I like a fence that you can see through!
Test Subject
#22 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 11:24 AM
Thanx! Been looking for something like this!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 4:19 PM
I've been wishing for a "real" chainlink fence since the game came out. It is wonderful. Love the detail. Obvious you put alot of time and effort into this.

And bless you for working on a gate for it. Keeping my fingers crossed you're able to make one, cuz I can't wait.
Test Subject
#24 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 5:05 PM
It must be that Maxis exmployees just live in such nice neighborhoods that they've never seen a commoner's fence before. (xD No, I'm kidding, don't kill me). I'm happy to see this, and I'm glad you took the extra time to put more detail into it. I don't like downloading things that are kind of shoddy in their construction, anyway. I can't wait to see what it looks like in my game! =D
Test Subject
#25 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 12:26 AM
OMG!!! I've been looking for a chainlink fence FOREVER. It's the most common type of fence in the real world (at least that I've seen) yet I couldn't find one on any site I looked on!
Page 1 of 3