Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 3:29 PM
Awesome - now I can get back the alien families my kid deleted from Strangetown - lol.
Advertisement
Banned
#27 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 3:34 PM
i have already done it
because my ugly game needs re installing twice a month
so i have done it
Field Researcher
#28 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 3:43 PM
What a great tip...now I can get back all the houses I deleted!
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 11:04 AM
Default game probs
i realy have no idea waht i have done to the game but it isnt rught at all
i was doing a tutorial and the game started flickering and i couldnt do anything and this happened a few times so i though it might be down to the downloads i have added..... but i uninstalled the game compleatley and removed the files so there was nothing on my pc with sims 2 anywhere and then i reinstalled the game still with nothing added at all .... but now when i go to create a house everything is sooo wrong all the stairs , doors windows and basically everything is brillian white and looks awfull i have reinstalled it 3 times now and still doing the same i have updated my siplay drivers and direct x but the samething is still happenenig ... please can anyone help me to figure this out . ???
it will be much appriciated......
Field Researcher
#30 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 5:08 AM
If I try this method will it still screw up since I have installed the patch? I recently had to reinstall the game and thought I would give the patch a try. Since then the game jerks and lurches and gets muddy brown stuff over the screen, and BodyShop seems to have disappeared altogether. I don't know what possessed me to install the patch when I had been doing fine without it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 6:11 AM Last edited by hardonmachin : 12th Feb 2005 at 6:12 AM. Reason: typos
bettye, using this won't really screwup anything... patch or not. but from the sound of it a full reinstall might be better for you as it might not fix the problem :/
Test Subject
#32 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 4:11 PM
Default i tryed this
i tryed doing this now i get stuck on the create a family screen...
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 4:30 PM
hardonmachin :
Between you and numenor, my game has been saved more times than I'd like to count, thanks for one more save, and a few less headaches in the future.

Fido :bow:
Test Subject
#34 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 2:16 AM
oops i reinstalled and it said my game crashed. what happened?
Test Subject
#35 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 6:06 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds intriguing, as I was ready to reinstall. I have a lot of custom content, but only a couple of very good hacks, and was having no problems whatsoever. Then, yesterday, I decided to delete some of the custom content in the create a sim mode (wild hairstyles, purple eyes, etc.). I've done this before, from within the game, just dropped them into the trashcan, and had no problem. But yesterday, when I went back into the create a sim mode, the original Sim2 stuff is all gone. The only thing there is the custom content. No blonde, black, red hair, just the stuff marked with an asterisk. I have no idea how I managed to make it all disappear.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:03 PM
I wish i had saw this before I reinstalled my game. I accidently killed off my favorite family. Been using SimPE to try and get them back no luck so far.
Test Subject
#37 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:39 PM
One thing I just noticed is after I reinstalled the game and after saving not just my docs\eagames... but also program files\eagames to another drive those files were also found and overwritten by the installer.

So just a caution to all of you that save your files first, make sure you don't keep the same exact folder structure but rename it slightly so the installer can't find it.

Something like my docs\savedeagames\... and program files\savedeagames\thesims2\...
Test Subject
#38 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 4:46 PM
Does this work if you have University Installed?
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 8:45 PM
If you rename the folder it will do the same thing, it will create a new folder of ea games and yes it does work with university, i just tried it and it worked like a charm
Test Subject
#40 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 10:52 PM
Default I have tried
Hi all I am sooo frustrated I think this is the last I buy the sims...... They so know we download stuff???? I have done everything you said and both games were working so I decided to put my homes and charchters back in the game but they are not showing up?????? whats up??????
can anyone help?

troubleshooter88 :fight:
Test Subject
#41 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 3:38 PM
Will this also put all the UNI custom downloads files back into the downloads folder? I'm trying to fix mine and moved the folder out of the EAGames folder but the game didn't recreate the folder or the files that were installed with UNI?????
Test Subject
#42 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 5:35 PM Last edited by karita : 25th Mar 2005 at 5:37 PM. Reason: clarity
TRY THIS FIRST: If your game comes up with a red X (like after playing around with Body Shop) or it just will not launch at all (no message, nothing in task manager), close out of that error and delete the groups.cache file in My Documents / EA Games / The Sims 2 folder. Start your game up again. This has happened to me, both ways, and after deleting that file, my game came up with no problems. --- Daysies

Thank you so much for this tip, Daysies! I was at wits' end because I was getting that red X. Your tip totally solved my problem (this time, anyway)! A million thanks!
Kari
Test Subject
#43 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 4:29 PM
I started a thread earlier but it was closed...I dont know why but i am in serious need of help with this game.
My sister has this new computer and installed The Sims 2 just fine 4 days ago then she tried to install the patch and I dont know what she did...She then uninstalled The Sims 2 from her computer and now that I am trying to putit back on her comp it won't work it gets stuck between 15-18% and then it says "Unable to transfer voice5.package. Please click retry or abort" I see some other people have had similar problems. Anyone know how I can fix this???? Am I going to have to buy another CD? *I have the regular CD-Rom version* Do I have to go and delete anything else?
ANy help will be greatly appreciated.
Moderator of Aardvarks
#44 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 7:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Droopy50
I started a thread earlier but it was closed...I dont know why but i am in serious need of help with this game.
My sister has this new computer and installed The Sims 2 just fine 4 days ago then she tried to install the patch and I dont know what she did...She then uninstalled The Sims 2 from her computer and now that I am trying to putit back on her comp it won't work it gets stuck between 15-18% and then it says "Unable to transfer voice5.package. Please click retry or abort" I see some other people have had similar problems. Anyone know how I can fix this???? Am I going to have to buy another CD? *I have the regular CD-Rom version* Do I have to go and delete anything else?
ANy help will be greatly appreciated.

The reason the thread was closed is because this issue is covered thoroughly by EA in step-by-step instructions, and I gave to the link the that process. Please read the fix for installation failure on the EA site, or the link I already gave you.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 1:21 PM
alright.. say someone.. I dunno.. accidentally downloads Universtiy required sim, opened it with the Clean Installer so was oblivious to it needing universtiy and loaded it to game.. only to find that oh.. it must have been young adult ( as , searching though Body Shop all you find is a floating head with no lifestage icon selected ).
Say this file had Uni Hair that, obviously is not in the orginal sims. Naturally Uni Sim would then be deleted as It is not usable.

Unfortunaly, I did that. And found later when trying to export a hair file that came with Sims 2 out of body shop to work with as a project, I was told the texture could not be exported. I am assuming the Uni hair and the oginal hair are linked in some way as I only developed this porblem after deleting said file.
Do you think I could fix it this way??
I have chracters in saved lots , what folder do I have to take out/ save in order to keep them safe when attempting this? The Lot folder?? or , the lot folder in each neighborhood.. should I just save the neighborhoods folder as a whole and integrate it back after its remade itself.?
Thank you in advance any help would be appriciated as I had thought I was going to have to reinstall to fix this mistake
Moderator of Aardvarks
#46 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 6:15 AM
I have found it best to manipulate neighborhoods as a whole, not by lots. So I would back up the entire N0## folder. Also, clean out your Teleport and Saved Sims folders of any related files.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 11:00 AM
I want all the original familes I deleted back, but don't want to lose my existing Sims. However, they are all in PLeasantview. If I do the moving folder thing, then move it back, what will happen to my new Sims if the original ones are in their houses?
Field Researcher
#48 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 3:41 AM
My game still doesn't work. I had to uninstall University because I can't find my CD - when I did that it seemed to delete all the original files, and it won't either uninstall and it crashes when I try to play it.
I don't know what to do!
Test Subject
#49 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by droolik
Hmmm...This would have helped me so much. I reinstalled my game about 7 times

:Slap: Jeez.... You have won... I am reinstalling now for the 7th time... :weep:
Should slap myself in the face.... If I had known how time consuming installing my fav game would take...
Ah, well.... here we go again!

Greetz, Essie
Test Subject
#50 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by professional loser
My game still doesn't work. I had to uninstall University because I can't find my CD - when I did that it seemed to delete all the original files, and it won't either uninstall and it crashes when I try to play it.
I don't know what to do!

Get (I know I'm advertising now, sorry) regcleaner from ToniArts and clean out your register before you try to reinstall the game. The program is free and works perfectly!
I had to reinstall as well and found that the game worked (as well as the rest of my programs) a whole lot better with the register cleaned up... :smash:
And... If it doens't work for your game, at least your software is quicker starting up... :howdy:

Good luck and let me know!

Greetz, Essie :Slap:
Page 2 of 3