Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#26 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 12:43 AM
Huh. I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this story.
Carla has a cute, unique face! ^_^ And the new house looks great! If she's so rich, though, what's she doing in this part of town? Interesting...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 2:50 AM
Love it! At first i thought it said something about Noah and thought it must have been a religious story so i didn't bother looking, then i read it properly LOL
I love that it's about a male for a change...i don't think i could do that...that's pretty tough. Looking forward to the next updates as i'm really liking what i've read do far...especially the line about where to find pot...that's why we're moving lol
Mad Poster
#28 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 11:25 AM
Starwyn: When I first read the title I thought it was religious...oops. Must always double check these things.
Tixi: Great updates. I love the boy James knows where to get some pot from. Always handy to have some idea about these things.
Inventor
#29 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 9:03 PM
That's true, there aren't many male-based stories, are there? Hmm, maybe I should do something about that... I dunno what it would be about, though. I usually do challenges.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 8:19 AM
Default Chapter 6 - Dinner
Dinner was spaghetti with chunky sauce and soft noodles. Carla poured tall, frosted glasses of rose champagne. Sparkling cider for the kids. The overenthusiastic, albeit well-dressed brunet of that morning disappeared into smooth movements, witty conversation and the ability to hold her cutlery with class. She giggled, chewing daintily, drinking without slurping, dabbed her lips with a napkin. Spoke of her university course. Journalism, with a focus on fashion. Worked four nights a week at the Starbucks in the QVB. Liked designer labels, sushi, running and magazines.

James told her about his new teacher and the boy in his class that traded him a piece of Big Red for three pieces of Extra.

What a rip off! James shouted eagerly, and showed Carla the cinnamon scented foil still in his pocket

I know a shop in North Sydney that sells Big Red, Carla told him; I could get you some for seventy cents

Wow, James grinned, wide-eyed, that would be awesome

Yvette told her about how Dora got his name, and about the new Barbie she wanted. Carla smiled, laughed, nodded. Captured my attention in a way that no woman but Norah ever had.

It’s going to be nice being your neighbour, I smiled softly, raised my glass to her

A coy smirk in return, Likewise
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 8:21 AM
Default Chapter 7 - Falling in like
I saw Carla most days. In her shiny gold beetle, briefcase in hand, glamorous friends over for dinner.

I’m interning at Cosmopolitan, and next week, Madison, she smiled

We had dinner together on nights that she was free. Sometimes lunch. The kids bored quickly. I gave them a handful of coins and told them to walk down to the corner store and buy ice cream, then play in the park next door. Carla assured me that kids were safe in this neighbourhood.

We talked about all kinds of things. Politics, jewellery, clothing, magazines, newspapers, money, coffee, jobs, kids, dogs, toys, malls, food, foreign countries, hometowns and childhoods. Her words were animated, enthused, her eyes alive. Liked her immensely.

I like Carla, Yvette yawned up at me as I tucked her into bed

I like Carla too, I smiled. Flicked off the light
Inventor
#32 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 9:24 PM
Something tells me things aren't quite as they seem... But I like the update. Keep going! ^_^
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 9:30 PM
this is good, I just discovered it!
I like how gritty it is, good writing as well:D
#34 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 9:45 PM
I'm loving this story! I love the way you write. It's so entertaining.
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 11:49 PM
Cool update. I like Carla, she seems nice... but something tells me that there is more to her... Is she a serial killer? (joking) Update soon and happy simsing!

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 11:50 PM
gotta love that fag hanging out of his mouth on occasion. Makes me wonder why such an upper class girl is so interested....? I don't mean that because of the cigarette lol
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 12:31 PM
Well..Carla definetely seems better than Norah!
Patiently (okay, stuff that, not-so-patiently) waiting for an update :P

There's a thunder in our hearts, baby.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 12:42 AM
Default Chapter 8 - The Good Life
Carla became part of our lives. Slowly. My shy, oh, i'll get your morning paper for you, I was just on my way to the Newsagents anyway, became her, I can help Yvette with her homework, I'll be over after work.

Dinner together became a regular event. Saturday's were rarely just me and the kids. I got a job at the IGA, stocking shelves. Minimum wage, but it counted for something. Made me seem less like a no-hoper. We were soaring. The ghost of Norah and mouldy fibro walls of East Jefferson a million years behind us. James joined the chess club, olympiad math group, cricket team, and rank as 'Top of the class'. Yvette made 'best friends forever' with a red headed girl from her class, they made bead jewellery together, played Bratz and Barbie's, watched Disney movies, drew pictures.

I worked late, so Carla took the kids after school. They watched her widescreen TV, ate jam sponge rolls and did their homework. Yvette loved reading Harry Potter. James started sixth grade math. Smart kids.

I spun my tyres in the driveway, always eager to get home. Yvette slumped, sleeping on the lounge. James, eyelids drooping, watching Neighbours. Carla in the kitchen, scent of food in the air, a plate of food waiting for me and her charming smile.

Life was good.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 1:15 AM
Default Chapter 9 - Love
...and be polite to Emma's mummy, and say 'please' and 'thank you', and wash your hands after you go to the toilet, and...

Da-ad! Yvette jiggled impatiently, rolling her eyes at me

I stopped. Sighed. Kissed her forehead, Have a good day, baby.

I will!, she ran down the front steps. Hugged her little friend. Jumped in the back seat of the white Commodore. Emma's plump, smiling mother offered me a short wave before driving off.

I walked back inside, turned up the fan. A sweltering summer day. Walked over to the fridge, cracked open a can of Carlton. James came pelting out of his room, cordless phone in hand.

Dad! Dad! Ben just called, can i go play cricket in the park? Can i please? Please, please, please? he had his bat in hand, eyes wide

Be safe, i smiled, patted him on the head.

He almost burnt up the asphalt sprinting down the road.

I plopped down on the lounge. Drained the can. Looked around the room. The day was mine, I could watch sport, eat EasyMac, get moderately drunk.

Not so appealing.

Instead, pulled on jeans. Slipped on thongs. Walked over to Carla's. She answered the door in a bikini. Embarrassed.

Stephan! Oh, um, god, she looked away, blushed, I was just about to water my plants

Uhrm, i could help? i shrugged. She was beautiful

Sure, she laughed, come in!

Inside was air conditioned, but we walked through to the back garden. I took a watering can and started sprinkling the flowers. She turned on the hose and sprayed the outdoor furniture. Dried dirt flowed down the umbrella. Muddy lines. I admired Carla's flowers. Stood up, turned to tell her how lovely they were. Was sprayed in the face.

I stood gasping, water dripping from my face. Carla laughing hysterically. I lunged forward, wrestled the hose from her, sprayed her back. We lept, hooted, screamed, tripped and eventually found ourselves staring at the clouds, heads touching.

I love summer, she sighed

There was a pause.

I love you, I turned my head and looked at her

She looked back. Grinned. Moved closer, kissed me hard on the mouth. Her lips were so soft, body warm in my arms. We rolled around on the grass, the heat, our wet skin, neighbours shouting over the TV, all melted away. Bindi thorns pinched our backs, our arms, the grass was crunchy and dry. Couldnt let go of her.

When my back started to crisp, i scooped her up, carried her inside, into her room, lay her gently on her bed and climbed on after her. The kisses continued, rough and fierce, passionate. Slowly i reached behind her back, pulled the strings on her bikini top, threw it to the floor. Her lean fingers caressed my stomach, fumbled for my jeans, rasping for breath.

I love you too

Mad Poster
#40 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 1:16 AM
Aww. Such a sweet (and heated) update. I love the pool picture of Yvette and Carla. Keep up the great work Tixi!
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 2:52 AM
great update!.....
Inventor
#42 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 4:59 AM
W00t! Remember, boys and girls, always use protection! Awesome update, I can't wait to see how this affects their relationship! (It always does, good or bad.)
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 5:24 AM
woohoo good things happening (hopefully) for the chain smoking, well meaning Dad!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 3:59 AM
Default Chapter 10 - Moving on up
If i were religious, or prudish, I would have regretted that steamy afternoon with Carla, but as it stood, i spent my nights dreaming of Carla, my mornings longing to see her, and my evenings engrossed in her fascinating conversation, her inspiring ideas. The L-word hadn't been said again, there were no rings, no 'dates' as such, but i could feel my future being set in stone.

Sunday morning, Yvette bounded off to Sunday School with Emma and James slept in, but planned to watch the cricket in the afternoon. I left a note on the bench and wandered next door. Through the front window I could see Carla sitting at the kitchen table, a newspaper open in front of her, but her face tilted up, eyes blank, staring into space.

I let myself in, something we had both taken to doing. She lept up.

Oh, Stephan! a weak smile. Something bothering her

What's up i pecked her cheek

Nothing! Nothing! voice high pitched, darted hurridly over to the kettle, I'll just make some coffee

I sat at the table, chair creaked under me. Looked around as she spoke about that morning, sentences darting all over. Caught sight of the paper, bold letters at the top of the page. DOMAIN - HOUSING.
I smiled, imagining Carla taking my hand over coffee, mouth soft.

I want us to live together, Steve, you, me and the kids. Look, i found this nice place...

She sat down in front of me. Two mugs banged.

I need to talk to you, she looked concerned, I've been offered a job at Harper's Bazaar. It's a good position, and it pays well. Really well.

I grinned, That's great!

Not...really, she looked down, I have to move interstate, to the main office. I'm going next...next week

Eyes filled with tears, apologetic.

Didnt know what to say, so i didnt say anything. Took her hand and sat while she cried. Shoulders shaking. My nose tingled with unshed tears.
Inventor
#45 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 4:06 AM
Ohhh, how sad! But... they can go with her, right? Right?! Thanks for the cliff-hanger, now I won't be able to sleep tonight. Just kidding!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 4:33 AM
Default Chapter 11 - Romance
I felt like i was watching my life through a frosted window. A realtor came by and put up a FOR LEASE sign. I helped Carla assemble boxes and pack her things. Every hug just felt too short, and every day together just wasn't enough.

On Thursday, i zipped up my hoodie. It was getting chill. Carla strode out to get the mail.

Carla! i called, she looked up, grinned

And to what do i owe this honor! giggled, kissed me lightly

I was wondering, if you'd like to come over for dinner tonight. Just me and you

Did you kill the kids? she smirked

They're at rehersal for the School Production 'til late, so it'll have to be an early dinner. I thought...six?

I'll bring wine turned, walked back into the house

With a similar strut, she climbed my porch steps and rang the doorbell, in the name of formality. I opened the door and pulled her close, gorgeous curves in a vintage red dress. Took her coat and ushered her into the dining room. Lit candles and dished up plates of Caeser Salad.

So, a play at the school, is it? she asked between mouthfuls

Ah, yes i grin, Yvette's a sunflower and James is a soldier. Very high-profile stuff.

We laugh, chink glasses together, dance to soft jazz, smile bittersweet with the knowledge we won't have another night together for a long time. So many things i want to say are lost in comfortable silence.

Inventor
#47 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 4:40 AM
Oh man, now what? Oh man oh man, you're an ebil writer, you know that? *hands Tixi cookies*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 4:47 AM
Default Chapter 12 - Goodbye
Yvette threw Dora's stick against the fence. An echoing bang. I cringed from inside. Carla smiled.

So um, my friend Adrianna is going to move in here. She'd been looking for a place for a while, she explained, You'll like her

I nod, look out the window at the nearly-full removalist truck. Carla followd my gaze. Shrugged. Sighed. Sniffed.

I'll write you an email every day. Every single day. And we'll call. I'll move back, and you can come and visit me, she snuffled, teary

Of course, i took her hands

Oi, miss!, an overall-clad van driver poked his head in the door, we're ready to go

Carla nodded. Tears dribbled down her face. Arms shook as she hugged me. We walked to the truck. Yvette and James rushed over from the yard, clung to Carla, stiffled sobs. Her shiny gold beetle revved into life, puttered off down the road. Never good at goodbyes. Yvette burried her head in my jumper, James looked at his shoes. My phone beeped three times with a message. Flipped it open.

I love you
C. xx

Voice an octave higher than usual, i put my arms around the kids, What about fish and chips, guys? We'll go down to the point and have a picnic

Can we take Dora? Yvette muttered, speaking into my hip

Of course, go grab her lead and some shoes, i'll start the car

The fish was greasy, chips soggy, served up on newspaper. James threw a frisbee for Dora, Yvette made a daisy chain. We sat on the sand and watched the sunset until the sky was only shades away from black.

What would you kids feel if we moved? Not away from this area, but a different house, i suggested. The thought of pulling into the driveway, seeing Carla's house locked up, silent. Shuddered.

So long as i can still see Emma, Yvette nodded

And play cricket with Ben! James put in

And be in the school play! Want to hear my lines, dad? It goes like...

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 4:48 AM
hahaha annachibi! cliffhanger! evil! bwaha!
lol thankyou for the feedback
and thankyou everybody else as well
it means alot! ALOT! =D
Inventor
#50 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 4:58 AM
You're a goofball, too, huh? ^_^
Man, that kinda sucks. Poor guy and his kids. If he were real, I'd run up to him and be like, "Hey, I'm single!"
Page 2 of 4