Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 8:04 PM Last edited by melethana : 27th Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM.
Default NPCs that are safe to marry
I think I just figured out how to tell if an NPC is safe to add to a family or not. If they have a name that is NOT their job description, I believe they are safe sims to marry or add to a family. If anyone knows of additional NPC types, or if I'm completely mistaken, please let me know.
If you can flirt with / propose to a sim, then they are okay to add to a family, but some people insist are making their game do things it was not designed to do. But noooo, I don't know anyone like that

Bad to add to a family
Grim Reaper
Social Bunny
Social Worker
Mrs. Crumplebottom
psychiatrist
car pool / bus drivers
Witch Doctor
Pollination Technicians (expect for Polli Tech #9 Smith, living in Strangetown)
Ideal Plantsim
Rod Humble

okay to add to a family
maids
nannies
waiters / hostesses
cashiers / sales clerks
repairmen / mechanics
burglars / crooks
firemen
police
matchmakers /gypsies
iconic hobby sims (from FreeTime)
headmasters
delivery sims (groceries, pizza, chinese food)
Grand Vampires
mail carriers
paperboys (even though they are all teens, I'll have to see if you can select them to age with FreeTime)
Bigfoot
Vacationers/ Natives from Vacation spots
mascots / cheerleaders
college students
college professors
gardeners
any random townie / downtownie that is NOT a service sim

I've never had a repo man, so I'm not sure which list he goes in.

EPs I have: All of them! OMG, Ultimate Collection!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 8:10 PM
ROFLMAO! I can just see one of my family aspiration female sims hitting on the burglar while he's robbing her! :D

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 9:08 PM
Generally speaking, "Service Sims" and "Townies" are acceptable, and "Special Sims" usually are not. One way to tell the difference between "Service Sims" and "Townies": Townies often have jobs, but Service Sims NEVER have jobs.

"matchmakers"? You mean the Gypsy Matchmaker with the crystal ball?

I don`t see mail[wo]men, delivery Sims, Grand Vampires, or College students on the list. Mailmen and Grand Vampires are definitely OK to get to move in. College students are safe, as far as I can tell. I don`t know about delivery Sims, but I believe they are Service Sims. Stray pets and "townies" are safe, too, as [I belive] are the "Dateable Diva" types of both genders. [I have a family that consists of what I believe are two former Datable Diva Downtownies, and no-one else.]

Some of the Sims that come attached to Bon Voyage objects are of limited interactibility, and I`m unsure which catagory they fall in. Also, I`m curious about taxi and carpool drivers, which never have ANY interactability, even with "Control This Sim" active.

There are also other catagories of NPCs, such as the toy car and such, which [being "Special Sims"] aren`t suitable to adding to families. I expect that the psychiatrist that drops out of the sky on occasion isn`t suitable, either. No idea on the Pollination Technician. I`m having trouble thinking of any other catagories.

I have a family in my Testing Neighborhood that has both Grimmie and Mrs. C, *and* a "NPC robot", whatever that is. As it is a "Testing Neighborhood", I`m not nearly as invested in it as I am in Crystal Springs, my main neighborhood.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 9:38 PM
yes, I did mean that the Gypsy Matchmaker with the crystal ball is same to marry. She does have a "real person" name. I think mine is Ella Wood. That's why I think is in the same category as nannies, maids, etc.
All Townies and Dwontownies are safe to marry. I've never even met The Diva or Mr. Big, unless they have "real people" names and I didn't recoginze then as being a special sim. If they have "real people" names, they should be safe to marry.
I'd say that you can't marry a Polli Tech from an abduction. After all, how could you meet them to propose to them?
I can't believe I forgot about the Grand Vampires. I married one because he just refused to bite my sim.

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 10:10 PM
A better rule of thumb is this: if you cannot flirt with them under any circumstances (other than an age gap), then they aren't safe to bring into the household. Special sims have romantic interactions disabled for this very reason. The reason why I suggest this over your "they have a real name" rule is because carpool/cab/bus drivers are NOT safe to add to the family, but they have real names that aren't their job descriptions.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 11:22 PM
what EP do carpools and cabs have drivers? Mine always just drive themselves.

Field Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 12:16 AM
Huh? Look more closely, you can see a driver in carpools, cabs and school bus. If not, there is a glitch in your game.

If my carpool arrived with no driver in the morning, I'm not sure I'd get in lol

On topic, I don't think it is even possible to get one of the unsafe NPC to join your household. That is, without hacks. If there is, I'd like to know.
Inept Troll
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 1:58 AM
I got Mr.Plumb (look him up) to seduce the grim reaper if that counts as 'safe'.

Don't feed the trolls.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 3:11 AM
I am too safe to marry D:

Winning the Game
Don't be absurd. This is a Maxis game! What's to win? You and your sims can play unto perpetuity, getting into entanglements and trying to get out, and by the time you know it, it will be 3am your time, and you don't even have your teeth brushed...
--The Sims 1 Prima Guide
Scholar
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 3:50 AM
The Diva is the female Sim that looks sort of like Bella Goth who walks around Downtown in the black evening gown with the red scarf. The Mr Bigs are any male Sim that walks around with the red velvet blazer, or the red velvet smoking jacket and black dress pants on- this includes the iconic hobbyist for the Films and Literature hobby in FT- these two are definitely safe to marry and your fortune Sims will love you if you do because they usually bring in 50,000$ and about a further 10-20,000 in stuff - at least they have in my game.

Other Marriageable NPC's

Bigfoot
Iconic Hobbyists
Vacationers/ Natives from Vacation spots

Non Marriageable
Ideal Plantsim (low chance of ever meeting them, will not show up if summoned to lot)
Witch Doctor
Pollination Technicians (lot chance of ever meeting them, will not show up if summoned to lot)

You can however if you have Insim or the Sim Blender become pregnant with the child of any of the non-marriageable NPC's without borking your game- Grimmie and Mr's C actually have pretty decent Genes as does the Ideal Plantsim.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:41 AM
College mascotts and chearleaders are probably not a good idea to marry since they keep their cheerful personnality so to speak.
Scholar
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 9:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Neerie
College mascotts and chearleaders are probably not a good idea to marry since they keep their cheerful personnality so to speak.

Hm, from my experience,they knock if off once they become adults, otherwise I'd never allow my Sims to marry mascots or cheerleaders.

Thanks for making this list, it's quite useful and the whole thread gave me some new information. I wish RepoMan was safe to marry, I saw one last time I played but my single Sim was at work so I couldn't even check if it was possible to interact with RepoMan.
Instructor
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 11:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amairani
Hm, from my experience,they knock if off once they become adults, otherwise I'd never allow my Sims to marry mascots or cheerleaders.

Thanks for making this list, it's quite useful and the whole thread gave me some new information. I wish RepoMan was safe to marry, I saw one last time I played but my single Sim was at work so I couldn't even check if it was possible to interact with RepoMan.

Lucky you - growing up a cow mascot was one of the worst things I ever did in my game. He kept his ability of breaking into homes without permission and was forever an obsessive compulsive jerk :0

The repomen are usually cute ='[ The social workers too usually spawn beautifully, and it's a shame you can't date them.
Scholar
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Neerie

My sim isn't a morning person and would probably get so annoyed she'd shoot the poor cheerleader/mascot with the sim killing gun. I think I'll leave 'em as they are.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Site Helper
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 2:45 PM
The slobs are safe too. As long as you don't mind a sim who dumpster dives when you aren't paying attention. Repo man is not safe.

Pizza and chinese delivery are. (As are nannies, professors, hostesses and mechanics if you have a sim who is marrying Elders for some odd reason. Like an idiotic gypsy who keeps setting your young adult up on blind dates with Elders if she is paid full price! Then again, she has 3 lightning bolts with him, so maybe she's just trying to get him to look a bit more closely at her.) Just avoid Drama Professors. They keep their habit of catching everyone cheating on them.

I also had the gypsy bring in Robi Something, who is a carpool driver. If you meet them outside a car, they seem fine. (Other than being too old for a date with a teen. Her mother had no problems with him at all.) It's only if you pull them out of their car that they bork things.

Send the paper boy/girl to Uni. They grow up to a YA, and then take it from there. (But they are selectable from that point on.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 11:30 PM
Rod Humble = bad

Probably obvious, but it wasn't to me until I added him. =P

Woodvale Park | Woodvale Grove | Woodvale Industrial Estate | All Downloads. | Stoneview

Family Homes | Starter Homes | Businesses | Small/Meduim Family Houses
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrs. Crumplebottom
I am too safe to marry D:

This made me laugh. :D

It's kind of surprising that you can't marry the repoman, but ohwells.

Edit: Oh, hey, you didn't mention gardeners. They're safe aren't they?
Site Helper
#18 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 2:15 AM
Yes, I had my Black Widow marry one.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 4:01 AM
Weird a long time ago I got some sims married to Social Workers and nothing bad ever happened, they just acted like normal ones (When I summoned via The Summoner), I remeber one being picked out by the gypsy herself too, if someone wants to prove me wrong go ahead but I don't think anything goes wrong (And when the SW lectures you for being a bad parent or whatever don't they show up in your relationship bars?)

Oh carpool drivers are defiently not safe to marry, once I summoned one to the lot and she wouldn't leave! There's no ask to leave interaction and she just stands there mostly doing nothing.

Chefs are defiently bad, when my sim was looking through thier phonebook the chef was listed (From that OFB perk) I accidently clicked on her and my game started going very slow, or aleast that household and the chef soemhow got there just standing, so I had to move the household out, I liked that house so I wasn't pleased since everything got moved.
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 6:38 AM
One of my Sims got a butler when she wished for love with the wishing well. The game repeatedly gave me errors after that.
Site Helper
#21 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Willow's Tara
Chefs are defiently bad, when my sim was looking through thier phonebook the chef was listed (From that OFB perk) I accidently clicked on her and my game started going very slow, or aleast that household and the chef soemhow got there just standing, so I had to move the household out, I liked that house so I wasn't pleased since everything got moved.

My black widow married a chef last night. I was only able to play for half an hour, but there were no slowdowns, and I'm not seeing any glitches. And there were no slowdowns while she was sneaking out with him other than the time I accidentally went to the restaurant where he usually worked. It acted like the first time visiting the lot, where all the NPC get generated, then everybody has to go see what all the lights, bushes, and chairs are.

Forum Resident
#22 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 7:55 AM
To my knowledge a bulter shouldn't do that, you can interact with him and probably evtually fall in love and stuff (Although it will take a while, Maids and Bulters not to mention Servos always go do thier chores before your sim can do anything)

Ghost- That's odd, not sure why it happened to me thought,
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 4:49 PM
I've updated the first post to reflect all the new NPC types mentioned.

Instructor
#24 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 3:47 AM
Actually, the social worker is likely safe to marry. I created a test family (adult male with toddler daughter), used boolprop to set the toddler's hunger and social down to the minimum, and waited for the social worker to take her away. After she did, I had my test sim chat with her on the phone (using Pescado's autoyak to speed up the process) until his relationship with her was high enough to invite her over and flirt with her. I didn't play long enough to actually marry her, though the Propose option did come up.

Also, going by Lord Darcy's post in MATY, the NL flirt options do appear with unsafe NPCs that come with EPs. So, the best rule of thumb is if you can't flirt with an NPC using just the base game flirt options, then they aren't safe to marry.
Test Subject
#25 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:29 PM
Default I want to marry my carpool driver!
I know it's not meant to be... but she's so pretty i want her in my game! Anyway, i have the insiminator, and i added her to the household, but the problem is that no one can speak to her, no one can do any actions with her, only her can interact with others...

Does anybody know how to fix this up? Please?

Kisses! And thanks!
Page 1 of 18