Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Children Can Read Skill Books - Supernatural: 9-23-12

by Chaavik Posted 20th Jul 2009 at 11:18 PM - Updated 24th Sep 2012 at 12:03 AM by Chaavik : Updating For Sims 3 Supernatural

105 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 90 Feedback Posts, 14 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 11:50 PM
would this work with the super speedy skill hacks that are on this site?
Test Subject
#3 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sims3blog
would this work with the super speedy skill hacks that are on this site?

I am wondering the same thing. Great mod though! thanks!

Live every moment, leave nothing to chance
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 12:35 AM
is the stretching in this too?
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 1:22 AM
No, there is no stretching with this mod. The child simply gets a book from the bookshelf and go to a chair to sit down and read just like their older counterparts.

Well, if those mods edit the same file(s), then yes, I assume there would be a conflict. Why don't you try for yourself and see if they conflict by using Indie Stone Compatibility Checker or play a test family in game and look at their skill gaining.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 2:09 AM
I was just trying to do this today! Thank you so much :-)
Test Subject
#7 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 4:05 AM
Finally, something that edits children's interactions but doesn't make them look ridiculous. I'll actually use this one.

Sim and let Sim...
Field Researcher
#8 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 4:52 AM
Wonderful! I've been always asking why couldn't kids learn from books too. EA thinks that kids are stupid. No, in my game, thanks to you, they won't be anymore! Thanks, thanks, thanks.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 2:13 PM
I'm on a mac so I can't use the indie stone mod checker. Has anyone discovered whether or not it is compatible? Thanks!
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 6:36 PM
thank you. I needed a mod like this.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 8:53 PM Last edited by Mouse : 21st Jul 2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Clarity & Italics-How Fun!
(Very Quick Test)
I cannot tell you if this is compatible with vahi_master’s mod, however, I can tell you that this is entirely compatible with mxp’s Gain_75_Skills mod. (75 is the version level that I chose.) I tested this in-game with a Child starting on Level 1 Cooking skill at seven in the morning, and by two the next morning, he was a master chef.

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 11:36 PM
yes it conflicts
Test Subject
#13 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 11:37 PM
Could you make it in zip. ? I dunno how to use rar.
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Akkuonna
Could you make it in zip. ? I dunno how to use rar.

Best solution would be to learn how to use .rar There are simple instructions linked from every download on this site.

And nice work, Chaavik
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 8:17 AM
No, I'm not going to do a .zip file. You can easily find a free program to use to unzip the .rar files. They essentially compress much more than .zip does, and it is common for a lot of people to use the .rar method than the .zip file.

You can find a handful of free programs such as winrar, izarc, 7zip. Use Google and search using keywords like free zip program, winrar, izarc, 7zip and so forth.

Common Sense:

If you download a mod that edits the ability to gain skills or use an object, and if you try to use that mod with another identical mod, you can bet there's a conflict. It's pretty much common sense to choose one or the other.

Anytime you see something that says something about allowing children to use an object that wasn't available to them, then you can assume that the mod allows them to use that object. If there's another mod that does essentially the same thing by enabling the children to use that object, it's a surefire bet it will be a conflict.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:13 PM
Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to compression programs (zips vs rars).

WinZip now has the ability to unzip .rar files as well as .7z.
WinRAR now has the ability to unzip .zip & .7z files.
7-Zip has the ability to unzip .zip & .rar files.

And these are just the 3 most popular compression programs. I'm sure there are more if you just do a search.

I happen to have all 3 of the above programs installed, but my personal preference is Winzip. :D

Not having a sig IS my sig. Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't it? Nevermind...
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 5:16 PM
Correction.. WinRAR can also make .rar files just like I mentioned. There are good programs out there to try. Izarc is my personal favorite, but it doesn't unpack the folders contained within the file very well like WinRAR does.
Test Subject
#18 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 4:22 AM
Thanks! I'm so sick of my children not learning crap. Isnt that what being a child is all about? Learning crap?!!

btw... your sims produce very "interesting" children... *cough*
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 6:53 PM
Uh thanks! Yeah, I didn't understand why the children could not read all of the skill books like their Sims 2 counterparts could.
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 3:54 PM
Thanks Chaavik! It was irritating me that EA changed this from the Sims2. Now my kids can actually learn relevant skills. This rocks!!!
Test Subject
#21 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 8:37 AM
Thank you for this hack! It will be really helpfull and usefull.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 10:07 PM
Thank you Chaavik... just an FYI for those wondering if this conflicts with the faster skill gain, what I found was quite interesting. Instead of my game crashing or anything like that... it basically overrode the faster skill gain mod. I was able to buy the books before, and after this mod they were no longer even showing up. So I took that one out so my sim child can learn some skills too.
Test Subject
#23 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 6:25 AM
If user is using this mod, please do NOT use~
any of seven versions of
Super Speedy Skill Books V*.package
, which are in Super Speedy Skill Books~
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=344221
because they modify the same instance!
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 8:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up.
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 10:23 PM
New mod in testing for WA to enable children to read the Improve <<skill>> Volume X books that came with World Adventures. The following skills are:

Martial Arts
Photography
Making Nectar

I think those are the only books beside what's already in Sims 3.

Check back later for an update.
Page 1 of 5