Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#51 Old 19th Sep 2009 at 11:28 AM
You added a lot more rules.

Quote: Originally posted by HaunterMooneyes
19. If your Sims' children bring home friends from school, say goodbye to them at once. Your Sims' children may not attend private school. (Technically, they shouldn't be attending school at all, so if you have a homeschool/no school hack, feel free to use it.)

I'm grateful; I hate Headmaster now.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 22nd Sep 2009 at 3:28 AM
There were a lot of rules to begin with, too. =)

Yeah, struggling with private school entrance has always been my least favorite part of the game. And Knowledge Sims, which are my favorite ones to play, always roll the Want a million times...
Test Subject
#53 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 12:02 AM
If we have Freetime, can we have a sewing machine, and if we can, can we sew and sell/wear the items? Or are we still limited to harvestables?
Scholar
#54 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 3:08 AM Last edited by ForeverCamp : 2nd Nov 2009 at 1:17 AM.
Okay, I'm going to start this out for a 2nd time this weekend (first one went down the drain), but I have a question:

Are we allowed to use the tents in BV when we first start out?

*sigh* I'm sad that Joseph went down the drain... he wasn't a very good farmer, and so of course he didn't make a lot of money off his crops, and then his wife went and had triplets when they couldn't afford more than one crib... LOL - nobody slept for like, two sim-weeks because the babies on the floor kept screaming.

So I remade Joseph in CAS and he's going to take another whack at farming in the 1800s.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 1st Nov 2009 at 6:30 PM Last edited by addict12 : 3rd Nov 2009 at 3:43 PM.
I'm doing this challenge too! :3 It sounds fair, not too easy or hard. Matter of fact, it's kind of how I used to play when I started playing Sims 2 for PC. lol. I'll use hacks only to change appearance of his/her wife/husband. :3 Wait, if they can only own a shower in the beginning, how will they bathe their toddler? I don't think you can bathe them in the sink once the baby has aged to a toddler.

Oh! I have these hacks for just gardening. I had them long before joining the challenge and kinda forgot until now. They keep the crops from withering away and replants the crops after beginning picked. So, may I start over? I can't seem to remember the name of the hack to remove it for the challenge. (I have too many downloads so it's plainly my fault.) Will it matter? I should I just minus points as a penalty?

**Edit: I found the name of the hack so, I temporarily removed it for this challenge last Sunday. Woot!
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 2nd Nov 2009 at 6:58 AM Last edited by addict12 : 3rd Nov 2009 at 2:55 PM.
I started on it today. Sorry, I only took one picture though. Now, down to business. Let's see, my character's name is Amisi Otanah. Of course she is a fine adult who is, unfortunately, still single. Anyway, I didn't keep count of my points, I feel like I'm in the negative. Amisi had a rough start:

Financially:

She brought the biggest lot being18,500 or 18,400. $1,500 (estimated amount) was leftover, plus the $2000. (Did I do that right?) Next, I made her a small home. The wall by itself cost $1,400. Luckily for me, I have downloads from WS (Wall Sims). Some, maybe most, of their custom content cost only $1 in game. As you may see in the picture, I got most her essentials for $1 each. The paint and floors cost $1 per square. So yeah she, saved a lot. The only objects that didn't cost the same was the Juicer, pond, phone, smoke detector, the little lilies in pond, doors, windows and garden.

The math -

Beginning:

3,500 (estimated amount)
-1,400 = 2,100.
Minus the cost of paint and floors: 2,100 – 300 = 1,800
Minus the cost of furniture: (Note: many of my custom objects cost $1) 1,800 – 900 (estimated amount) = $900.
Minus the cost for soil, pond and seeds: 900 – 465 (exact number) = 435.
Minus the cost of door(s): 435 – 85 = 350.
Bills total in $75.

Amisi was still single. After fishing up some boots and selling them, the garden was expanded.

It took one whole season to grow and tend the crops. Crops grown were, of course, tomatoes. Each basket worth $170.

Total earnings by the end of summer: 2,000 (rough estimate).
Earnings used to expand house and garden, altogether: -1,400 (rough estimate).
Total at that time: 600.

Repo-dude came over twice for Amisi neglecting to pay bills. (I kinda forgot about paying because I was so busy fishing and farming as much as I could before the winter.)

The worth of furniture taken: 175.
The cost to replace them all: somewhere between 180 and 230.

Total at that time: Somewhere between 370 and 420.

Later in Challenge:

Charlie and Amisi married after a few sim weeks of being engaged. Charlie already had one point for almost every skill, except for cooking and creativity. Both sims are studying cooking, cleaning, parenting and mechanical from bookshelf.

Total at the time: 1,200.
Plus the amount added when Charlie moved in: 2,000 + 1,200 = 3,200.

They had first child. Which is a boy, Dang. I was hoping for a girl first try.
Child's room built: -1,300 (estimated amount)
With furniture (cost $1 each): -10.
Remaining total: 1,890.

Other upgrades to the kitchen mainly (new fridge , oven, etc): 600 (estimated amount)
Remaining Total: 1,290.
Husband and Wife room built: 1,200.
Remaining Total: 90.

Gain around 200 by selling boots – only to keep up with bills. Harvest time came around, thus earning them another $2,000 (rough estimate).

Relationships:

They get along very well and keep close contact. They switch jobs every few sim hours. One farms and fish. The other cleans and cares for the baby; sometimes even cooks. Currently there is balance. Winter had peeked and the farming has stopped. However, Amisi and Charlie still have some little left for fishing.

My new setup: Spring, Summer, Fall, then Winter.

Rewards/Badges:

Amisi: Got sliver badges in fishing and gardening. Received rewards for maxing her enthusiasm in nature.
Charlie: Got bronze badges in fishing and gardening.
**Edit: I recently discovered that Charile had a sliver badge in sewing. However, he this long before Amisi and him met. I guess this would be quite useful in the future.

Events:

>> Had first encounter with the social bunny!
>> Evil Repo man!!! He took me stuffies!
>> Amisi finally proposed to Charlie. He accepted.
>> Were married two sim weeks later.
>> Tried for baby and was successful during first try.
>> Birth of Gabriel Otanah.

Note: I printed the rules today! *dances* Now I can remember stuffies w/o having to pause and lower the game to check again~!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#57 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 6:15 AM
I started this challenge today and was having a really hard time with the hunger and the money part but I stuck with it. You said we could sell gifts we got from friends. Well on the third day when he couldn't pay his bills he was talking to a friend when the friend just hands him a eight thousand dollar tv as a gift! How cool was that!
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 7:29 AM Last edited by addict12 : 3rd Nov 2009 at 8:18 PM.
That's awesome! :3

Can we use an alternative way to bathe the toddler since you can't own a bathtub? Anyone have some tips? I hate seeing him suffer from low hygiene. Poor baby. D:

Tips for body: SPOILER
Once starting out you're not allowed to own any body-building objects. However, there is a another to keep your sims in shape~! Your sims may jump rope and/or do yoga. They will gain body points. There's nothing in rules that say you can't. *evil laugh* :3

**Edit: For logic, the rules did not disallow logic building toys for toddlers. So have them work on logic while they're still tots. For logic, from child to elder, just play chess. :3
Test Subject
#59 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 2:59 PM
Starting this challenge today! Excellent idea!
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 3:28 PM Last edited by addict12 : 3rd Nov 2009 at 3:42 PM.
More tips! SPOILER
* Eggplant Juice (2 eggplants) - random skill points.
* Pureed Boot (1 boot) - freak out (sim does random animations), no hunger satisfaction.
* Strawberry Juice (3 strawberries) - clears furious bit.
* Tomato juice (3 tomatoes) - warms sims up.
* Vegetable cocktail (1 tomato, 1 cucumber, 1 pepper, 1 pole bean) - build skills faster.

For more tips on gardening Click Here. I found this linky somewhere within the modthesims' forums.

I hope this will help you guys.
Test Subject
#61 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 3:41 PM
I'm sad If i read the rules right the sim they marry can't bring more the three thousand to the family. My sim married a rich woman who brought thirteen thousand the the family and I'll have to get rid of it.
Test Subject
#62 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 4:49 PM
Default The Karian Family
Okay! So here's what I've managed to do in a few hours! I was too excited, I had to update before work haha! I started with a male, Edmund Karian. His first lot visitor was his soon-to-be-wife, Amy. They hit it off right away...not. That took a few sim days.

So Amy moved in, bringing enough to put walls around their shack of a house, hoorah! I've been selling fish more than eating them, Edmund has been fishing a lot. On his bronze gardening and fishing badges.

Surprise though! Look who's pregnant before marriage! That was totally unexpected for their first woohoo (I've got a few hacks to hide the chimes, etc). Can only pray that it's a boy! Edmund looks totally furious about her being pregnant, doesn't he?

So, of course, Edmund proposed and married Amy lickity split. No time for formalities when she's on her second trimester, right? Haha. I think I'm enjoying myself too much with these two.

And, not long after the marriage, along comes the baby! I was thrilled to see a little boy! Luck is with me on this one, haha! Welcome to the family David Karian! He has his mother's lovely eyes.

Lab Assistant
#63 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 5:03 PM
Nice pics. I gotta put mines up too. :3
Scholar
#64 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by addict12
Tips for body: SPOILER
Once starting out you're not allowed to own any body-building objects. However, there is a another to keep your sims in shape~! Your sims may jump rope and/or do yoga. They will gain body points. There's nothing in rules that say you can't. *evil laugh* :3

Sure, that builds body points, but my Sims jump-rope all the time... they're still fat as pigs. Driving me crazy, but eventually they gain enough nature enthusiasm to hike, which DOES put them in shape. I'll have to get some pics next time I'm in-game - my male Sim married, but had a girl first try, and then he and his wife had a real hard time getting pregnant again - girl was a teen before the heir was born (twins! one boy, one girl, thank goodness).
Test Subject
#65 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 7:05 PM
My sim had a miscarriage. Does that put me out of the challenge?
Scholar
#66 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 7:09 PM
Nope. You just can't abort the baby. Miscarriage is allowable.
Test Subject
#67 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 7:12 PM
okay thanx
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 8:17 PM Last edited by addict12 : 4th Nov 2009 at 3:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ForeverCamp
Sure, that builds body points, but my Sims jump-rope all the time... they're still fat as pigs. Driving me crazy, but eventually they gain enough nature enthusiasm to hike, which DOES put them in shape. I'll have to get some pics next time I'm in-game - my male Sim married, but had a girl first try, and then he and his wife had a real hard time getting pregnant again - girl was a teen before the heir was born (twins! one boy, one girl, thank goodness).

I started doing yoga and jump roping early. My sims are not at "fit", but they stay on "normal". So they're fairly healthy.

Now for the update!!!

Alright. I'm not sure how to keep score with +50 for every 1,000 simoleons in your family's funds after five generations have come and gone. In total, my family made a estimate amount of 2000 (a little over that) simoleons at the end of three seasons (fall, spring and summer), because the first time around I didn't use fertilizer (currently it's winter, so there's no farming at the moment – however today is the last day of winter in my sim game, though I believe in a few minutes the seasons will change). Then, plus exactly 2000 simoleons the husband added to the household after moving in. So in total they earned a estimated amount of 8,000 simoleons. So that would mean I earned 400 points. Or do you mean that after the death of the breeding sims (first generation and so forth, right?), that you add up the points based on the amount of simoleons they left behind? If so, then disregard the point count – it's not valid.

Alright I did lose some points.

-50 (x3) (-150) For every cheat used. I used the inSIMinator to give the father, mother and toddler a “face lift”. I disliked the way I made her nose. The husband wasn't appealing to me. And I wanted the tot to be cuter. Lol.

-50 (x1) My sim (Amisi) dropped into red aspiration.

I had no visits from the social worker, no burglaries (because my adult sims are on sleep rotation. When Amisi was alone, I would use the furniture to block the doors and she would sleep only during the day), there were no fires started by my sims exactly – only by thunder (I had the trashcan and dresser outside), no visits from the sims' psychologist, no deaths (yet), and no relationships went sour.

So my total score: -200.

Anyway, in two sims days, my tot will be a child. I'm so excited! Plus, Amisi is pregnant again. I used their points for an secondary aspirations and used the reminder of my lifetime aspiration benefit points – I choose the ones that slowed motive lost and so forth. The father's primary aspiration is family. His secondary aspiration is fortune. The mother's primary aspiration is fortune. Her secondary aspiration is family. I can't wait to start farming, during most of the winter, they've been reading, skill building, trying for babies, and caring for Gabriel. Since I upgraded my refrigerator (my cc fridge was corrupted. I was forced to get a new one and remove it from game – luckily, I didn't stock that fridge at the time), they been eating nothing but cereal, soups, salads, and lunch-meat sandwiches; mostly soups and salads. They drink water from the sink.

Their social is always high, but the toddler is suffering from low hygiene – I have no way of bathing him without a tub. During the earlier times, when Amisi was single, she used to talk bundles with the social bunny, but no one saw and nothing happened. Finally Charlie came along and they talked and hanged out. I found out his skills by asking and had him move in after a few sim days. I wanted to make sure they had good compatibility. They're best friends forever (BFF), madly in love and have two lighting bolts on their icons. I completely lucked out dudes. Lol. They're best friends with the toddler and madly love Gabriel Otanah. I hope I get a girl and SOON! Amisi is now a gold badge in gardening and didn't become a plant sim! If she ever does, is it okay for me to use a cheat to change her back?

This is Gabriel as a baby. He's so cute!

This is Gabriel as a toddler. So fluffy. :3

This is Charlie Otanah.

This is a shot of Amisi's home during the beginning.
...and another.
The pond is still the same, of course.

Lab Assistant
#69 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 3:04 AM
I started this challenge, and it is hard. I don't even know how it's possible to make a house AND a garden plot with only 2k, because I have just a bed, toilet, fridge, and oven (only the absolute essentials) and after the garden plot, I don't have enough for the house xD
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 3:08 AM Last edited by addict12 : 4th Nov 2009 at 3:22 AM.
My CC from WallSims (custom content) cost my sims just 1 simoleon. So I had enough to make my tiny sack, which cost 1,400 simoleons, in the beginning. The paint and floors cost 1 simoleon too. The pond cost me 100-something simoleons. Owning the house was the most important thing for me. I would had waste all her cash on the house and pond instead, sell boots and then made my garden. Currently, my sims are broke as hell because of the children. Most of my earnings go towards adding walls little by little. Plus, at the start, my garden was 4x3 and I expanded it little by little like my walls.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 3:37 AM
Would it be within the rules to create a sim that has the same star sign and similar personality, and use the teleportation bush to bring her to me?

Or create her and not use the bush, waiting for her to appear?

I really don't want to marry one of the default townies, since their clothes are non period (I'm really anal about accuracy, if I could find something from that era to replace phones I would xD)
Scholar
#72 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 3:39 AM Last edited by ForeverCamp : 10th Nov 2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Updating picture links
Quote: Originally posted by xxGuyxx
I started this challenge, and it is hard. I don't even know how it's possible to make a house AND a garden plot with only 2k, because I have just a bed, toilet, fridge, and oven (only the absolute essentials) and after the garden plot, I don't have enough for the house xD

I made a 2x3 garden, gave Joseph (my Gen 1) a double bed, a fridge, oven, two counters, a sink and a side table w/ phone. He slept outside, peed on the ground and washed in the sink until he married Michelle (his townie wife). Then she brought 2k and he got four walls and a roof! First few harvests (and a kaching cheat) gave them a toilet, communal shower (cuz there's not enough $$ for an enclosed bathroom...) and a 4x3 bedroom for three kids (two of them are toddlers, so not sure what they're going to do when the kids age up in two sim-days...

Speaking of which, here's my family:

We started off with Joseph Madsen, a 20-year-old hotshot from New York who moved to Mayberry Plains to make his fortune. This is what he looked like then:

Notice the checkered shirt - he wants so bad to be a good farmer, LOL!

He wasn't doing too well (still isn't, actually, he was never much of a strategic farmer), but he managed to find a wife, a local woman by name of Michelle Tse.

Joseph and Michelle managed to get by with minimal visits from the Repo-Man (who kept taking their sink...), and they welcomed their first child, Elizabeth, not long after that. I forgot to take pics when Elizabeth was a toddler, but this is her as a child and a teen:

They were having a lot of trouble getting pregnant again, but recently they were blessed with not one, but TWO more children: Anthony (the first heir to the admittedly-small legacy of the Madsen family) and Jane.

When I left the family today, they were in the middle of winter, had 37$ to their name and Joseph had aged to Elder:

Still no bookcase, no table, no chairs or sofas, Joseph and Michelle still sleep in the main area, the bathroom is in the great outdoors, but Anthony and Jane have a toy apiece. Elizabeth is currently courting another local by name of Jihoon Hsu and will probably end up marrying him. But right now she's still too young to marry.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 4:37 AM
How do I cook fish I caught? I caught a fish but I can't click on the stove, and it won't let me restock the fridge. I have a counter and I put the stove next to the counter just to be safe.
Scholar
#74 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 5:17 AM
The fish dishs don't unlock until I think you have at least one or two cooking points (don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure they aren't open to the unskilled cook), but the fact you can't click on the stove or stock the fridge is weird.

Are either of them (or both of them) CC? My best guess is that if they are, and they weren't made with Seasons, then they probably don't recognize the fish and veggies in your Sim's inventory and thus the problem with the fridge.

I'm at a loss for the stove, though...
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 5:32 AM
lBoth the stove and the fridge are base game, although I do have a couple hacks running. No school any empty fridge.
Page 3 of 12