Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 11:28 PM
Yeah! All possible, and very good ideas! Ill be sure to implement them the best I can!

Good music is like a candy bar; All you have to do is throw out the rappers.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 11:32 PM
Beavers, that looks great!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 11:41 PM Last edited by lanawinst : 26th Feb 2010 at 4:52 PM.
Nice! I can't wait to see that

Edit: I've added a to-do list on the 1st thread. Tell me if something was forgotten and be sure to check it out!
Wiki Wizard
#29 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 9:02 AM Last edited by Deluxe Designs : 27th Feb 2010 at 9:35 AM.
Beaversyeah please read
Ok i have created a map for our town, i combined ideas from some inspiration from France which lana suggested and then tried to keep with a small Italian town sort of theme

Key:
pink - community lot (x16)
yellow - residential lot (x24)
blue - water
black line - road
orange line - cobbled path
orange block - cobbled open market
brown - bridge
dark green - trees

EDIT: Map with lot sizes added; all lot sizes are done in the same format, they are 'horizontal x vertical' or 'width x height'
Screenshots

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Wiki Wizard
#30 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 9:09 AM Last edited by Deluxe Designs : 27th Feb 2010 at 9:39 AM.
Beaversyeah please read
Also if you noticed, it should fit in with the new map that beaver made, i labeled the area where the sea is, this is where the sea is on beaver's map so the town fits into the flat area that is available I would also like to quickly point out, that we can add more little cobbled roads leading out of the town (like the one to the right) and have a some small parks or the ruins or something similar at the end of them, maybe even one or two concealed homes In terms of doing those central plaza structures, the ones that revolve around the orange squares, it would be sensible if one person did a whole plaza, and someone else did the other whole plaza, that way the style in the centre of the town won't be muddled up If you notice in france, all the houses are VERY similar in style which makes it looks really nice, so we need to make sure we use similar bricks, colours, etc.

EDIT: Beaversyeah, i'll probably need to provide you with all the sizes on each of those lots so that you can actually build it, it won't be worth all the effort of making it to realise that the lot are far too small or far too big, i have done that a lot of times XD

EDIT EDIT: Ok lot sizes are added to make it easier, you will notice that sometimes the lot sizes are not proportionate to the map, so build the lots out before you put the roads in, so the roads fit to the lots, that way it should look like the map However please be careful to leave space for both main roads and cobbled paths, you may need to measure their width out beforehand to know how much to leave

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 5:26 PM Last edited by lanawinst : 27th Feb 2010 at 5:45 PM.
Thanks a lot for the map! It must have take a while to do and helps a lot I would only see some little modifications to make it fit:
- The library and the city hall are made to have their x20 facing a plaza and their x25 on the side of another building or road to look good, so we could, change the 2 25x25 and make them into 20x25.
- We could add a little kind of park circling the center area kind of the one in riverview (first pink square). This way, the residential and communities would give directly to a park, no need for roads in the center, you know what I mean? Like a huge pedestrian center area.
- I would see more of a mix of little residential and communities and some huge lots (more than x25) would be best cut in a lot of tiny high long lots. The example we have as for now of town center lots is [25x12] and it's to my opinion the right kind of size. It would look better with a lot of tiny houses stuck one on each other like row houses. That's the main difference between France as built on the sims and the kind of intricate town we want.

Edit: Oh! and between the beach lot and the swordfish, a port would be great. Made in CAW would be better but I'm not sure of what we can do with
that tool.
Wiki Wizard
#32 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 9:40 AM
I like the suggestions, in terms of not having roads in the centre, the black lines are the only roads, and there is just one going through the centre, we could get rid of that but not the one going around the centre in a square. Also the orange lines are cobbled paths, like pedestrian areas, so we would want to keep those, plus you cannot have two houses directly next to each other on a map, so have a cobbled path/street in between would make it look good and be practical

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#33 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 3:30 PM
I didn't knew you had to have roads so I was picturing the houses getting directly to parks area. Maybe have only cobbled paths in the center of the town and roads for the outskirts? It's just an idea to reinforce the pedestrian, old feeling of the center area .
Wiki Wizard
#34 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 4:42 PM
You should edit the map that i used with your changes, you could also do some changing of lit sizes as well to make your town hall and library fit, and also make the market squares a bit bigger It would be good to have more than one person edit the map, it will give a new perspective and usually improves it :D

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#35 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 5:11 PM
Alright, I'll give it a try and see if everything fits .
#36 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 5:11 PM
The Swordfish Bar & Grill is on a 40x30 lot, by the way.
Wiki Wizard
#37 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 5:40 PM
Ah ok thank you, i was wondering what size it was CharmingFirewaller Ok lana, i have tried to show you what i mean with the town centres on the buildings thread

#38 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deluxe Designs
Ah ok thank you, i was wondering what size it was CharmingFirewaller Ok lana, i have tried to show you what i mean with the town centres on the buildings thread

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention earlier that the lot isn't right next to to the road. Would it be too late to change that now?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#39 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:02 PM
Don't worry, I know how you made your lot so I'll take that into account for the map edit.
#40 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:00 PM
Thanks, I was worried it was too late to make changes.
Wiki Wizard
#41 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:06 PM
I think it is nice that the beach lot is on a path, it feels more realistic, and also very sort of communal, i think having a bar that is tucked away is like something only the locals would know about

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#42 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:17 PM
It would be even better indeed. A real fisherman bar without the annoying tourists I was thinking of some kind of recessed little creek would fit better with you bar, isn't it?
#43 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:28 PM
Oh yeah, that might be good too. Would you like me to upload the Swordfish so you can see if it would look good in the World?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#44 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:44 PM
Why not It may help. You should be able to post it in the finished buildings thread soon too.
Wiki Wizard
#45 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:45 PM
Well we don't have a world at the moment so i wouldn't worry about uploading it, but if/when you are finished then just upload it to the uploading thread

EDIT: lol lana, we both said the opposite thing at the same time XD

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#46 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:49 PM
Yeah I noticed it too I was just thinking that looking myself on how he did his landscaping thing could inspire me with the location but that's really not a need too and I can do without it. You already did enough pictures of it so that I have a pretty good idea on this
Wiki Wizard
#47 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:52 PM
Lol, when do you think you will be able to produce a the new map, version 2!! i get excited everytime you post here in case you uploaded it lol

#48 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 6:53 PM
Should I upload the Swordfish in the Completed Buildings thread or would it be better to wait for the custom world? It's fine either way.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#49 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:03 PM
As soon as you'll reach a decision for the roof, you can post it, yes. If you have minor changes, you can always edit your post anyway.

Sorry DD, probably not before tomorrow. I'm only discovering open office paint :P
Wiki Wizard
#50 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:04 PM
You should try using a program called paint.net which is what i use, i find that it is the best free graphics editing program out there

Page 2 of 11