Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Gamer Career!

by ElliotDX Posted 18th Mar 2010 at 2:23 AM

99 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 77 Feedback Posts, 21 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 4
Inventor
#2 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 2:49 AM
I'm looking forward to playing with your new career, Elliot! Thanks for making and sharing this.
Test Subject
#3 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 2:57 AM
This looks awesome! Thanks so much!
Instructor
#4 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 3:15 AM
My favourite career! thank you!

No, u can't haz cheezburger
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 4:04 AM
A couple opportunities at higher levels of this career could hinge upon doing interview spots for gaming shows (like X-Play, etc), while at the highest levels, you could have to deal with some controversy. At lower levels, like 1 or 2, you could get opportunities to try to cheat at the game/tournament. Near the mid-levels, opportunities could take the form of unreasonable production demands by outside sources and/or superiors.
Test Subject
#6 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 4:43 AM
bonus- you get the highest score ever of a game :D
design the most popular game of all time
bad- you design the most unpopular game of all time
you catch my drift :P
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 5:52 AM
Sounds so cool! Thanks, I cant wait to try it out!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 9:01 AM Last edited by BaXiM : 19th Mar 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: german strings now included
Default german translation
Sound absolutely great! I didn't know, I was waiting for this, but now I cannot wait to try it.
Could you please add a german translation? The translated strings are in the attachment. Although female versions of the job-titles are missing. (Edit: Managed to do it myself. See posting below.)
It would also be great, if you could send me a stringtable like those twallan provides for his mods. That way, it should be pretty easy to create the female strings where necessary.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 12:38 PM
Oppurtunity: Maybe in the lower levels, your workplace's internet goes down, consoles freeze up, and hell emerges. Your sim can be the mechanic skilled, overworked soul to step up to the challenge and fix it all. Your sim heads to work and spends the day there, getting tired and hungry.
Oh yea, Good job on the career!

Good music is like a candy bar; All you have to do is throw out the rappers.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 1:48 PM
Another great one! Thanks!
Test Subject
#11 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 6:26 PM
Nice one. Have already put my sim in the career. Opportunities are pretty easy to come up with for this career. Some have been mentioned above. Will PM you some ideas. Good job, though. Been waiting for something like this.
Test Subject
#12 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 6:34 PM
OMG I LOVE THIS!!!! The pay seems a bit low but omg thanks!!! Cant wat to try it :D
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 9:04 PM
One of the opritunites could be that your sims is playing The Humans and his Human gets an opportunity. btw, this mod rocks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ehoke
OMG I LOVE THIS!!!! The pay seems a bit low but omg thanks!!! Cant wat to try it :D

If I'm correct in thinking, the pay is identical to the Journalism career.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 10:30 PM
If anyone's interested, I also have a part-time career available at another site, a Security one. If it's wanted, I can upload it.
Test Subject
#16 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 5:59 AM
i am new to this career and haven't played the sims 2. I do not understand what you mean about using the console to upgrade the Gaming skill. Could you explain please? thank you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bellj1980
i am new to this career and haven't played the sims 2. I do not understand what you mean about using the console to upgrade the Gaming skill. Could you explain please? thank you.

Basically, the Video Gaming skill is a hidden skill in the game. In order to build it up, you must use the Video Game console which works with the television. Using the VR Goggles or playing computer games on the computer won't improve the skill.
Test Subject
#18 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 9:36 PM
ok thank you very much
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 11:13 PM
Default german translation done
Hi!
I managed to create the german strings. In the attachment is a version including them.
I also stumbled over two things:
  1. I think, the ID's for the Chatroom-Strings are wrong. At least in my game there was a "String not found"-message. Using ID's 0x0805D31DA8621117 and 0x2C661BB02E78B763 works.
  2. I saw no kind of "Practice Painting"-option, although the code seems to provide one. Did I miss it or isn't it fully implemented yet? (I found a description-string but the short one seems to be missing.)
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MTS_ElliotDX_1068876_EDXGamer_Career.rar (21.6 KB, 66 downloads)
Description: Version with german translation
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 11:39 AM
Thank you, I really appreciate all your hard work!!!
Test Subject
#21 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElliotDX
Basically, the Video Gaming skill is a hidden skill in the game. In order to build it up, you must use the Video Game console which works with the television. Using the VR Goggles or playing computer games on the computer won't improve the skill.

I have framework 2.5.12 and no other conflicting mods but for some reason it wont work for me. I can join the gaming career etc but the maxoid game "thing"/console that you buy in game just says I cant interact with it, any help here? The VR goggles work but just not the console
Test Subject
#22 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 7:05 PM Last edited by Zokoro : 24th Mar 2010 at 8:02 PM. Reason: Added onto the first suggestion.
This has become my favorite career now and is a good money maker in the end. I have a suggestion for improving for more fun.

Maybe you could have it so you could program/create your own games and sell them and get royalty checks for them similar to the Writing skill with books for a bit of side cash. Just a thought for a more realistic role for Game Programmer and Head of Simtendo. The quality of the games could depending on logic and maybe painting skills.

Also, this has probably ran across as a thought or been suggested previously, but wouldn't it make more sense for the HQ for this job to be in the Business building?

That's all I can think of for now. Again, awesome job on this!
Test Subject
#23 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 5:24 PM
1 word... EPIC!!!
Test Subject
#24 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 3:55 AM
This has definitely become my new favorite career.

How about some career advancement rewards like a new computer or gaming system? Just a suggestion.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pmankillinspree
How about some career advancement rewards like a new computer or gaming system? Just a suggestion.

As I recall ElliotDX did attempt to add such, but was denied by the inflexible nature of EA-Core.

It should be possible to implement such under Phase Four, if ElliotDX chooses to update this career at that time.

Cheers.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Page 1 of 4