Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2010 at 6:08 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 7th Feb 2014 at 8:01 PM.
The new world challenge (WIP) TESTERS WANTED
TESTERS NEEDED URGENTLY

Background history

In 2164 mankind was on the brink of destruction, low oil sources, more people than land, global warming, increasing tension between the US and Russia, for many it looked like the end was near, but the US wanted to ensure the future of mankind for generations to come, so the US built the worlds first starship and loaded the worlds finest people, including scientists, astronauts, politicians and more, the plan seemed foolproof but one day the russians declared war on the US, then the US rushed to load up the starship and left off many important things like communication, some building materials and more.
3 years into the trip they were approaching Alpha Centurai, the nearest star system to earth, they could see 4 earth like planets, near each other, the ship entered orbit around the first planet, but before they could get ready to go down to the surface, several meteors crashed into the starship and killed many of the people, destroying parts of the ship, everyone rushed to the escape pods and only 64% of the people that got on to the ship to begin with made it off, the escape pods spread out between all 4 planets and few resources were taken with them.

Your task is too colonize the new world, there were only 2 of you in the escape pod, several others crashed down further away (they're the townies)

Once you start off you must create a blank grassy neighbourhood and build a 5x5 lot, create 2 adult sims, they must be boy and girl, move them into the lot.

When you escaped you only took a few things with you, a tent, some wood, a toilet, a shower, a BBQ, a fridge, and some books.
Small Uni fridges aren't compatible with the BBQ

You must build 4 wall pieces by 3 wall pieces and cover them with the wood siding or if you have bon voyage, the cabin siding, and then put in some natural looking wood floor and the cheap wooden door. Then you put the toilet and shower in there. Buy the cheap bookcase that looks like it is bricks and planks of wood, then put the rest where you want.

No CC is allowed to be used, or cheats or hacks except when your meant too.

If you have seasons you can use a lake to fish, but you can't grow food or use orchard trees

When the welcoming party arrives you must make friends with atleast one, once you are friends with him he tells you that he has some food and drink supplies, you may now buy a phone and order food when you run out.

The first time you order food the delivery boy tells you that there is a colony of people miles away, and they are looking for some soldiers to guard the colony from animals.
You may now look in the paper everyday until there is an opening in the military career, both your sims must take the job, once you are promoted to elite forces you are granted a bonus of ยง2000 (use kaching 2 times) and are allowed to move to the colony's town.

Now the game gets interesting, you may build a basic shop that has food supplies and clothing(if you have OFB add some shelfs with a few items on), you must also move your sims from the old lot to a new house, you must make your sims a basic house, with bathroom, kitchen with breakfast bar,living room and 2 bedrooms.
You must also make 4 more families, The first family must contain 2 adults and one toddler, One sim that lives on their own, 2 Sims that live together and another 2 sims that live together.

For the housing i'm thinking fallout 3 megaton type

When you are told to create a family you may use maxis pre-made families, as long as they have the right amount of people.

Choose a Sim from your starting family and, every promotion that Sim gets you need to add a family with any number of sims, any age.

Once you reach Junior officer, someone opens an emergency service building in town, you may now buy burglar alarms and fire alarms.

Once you reach flight officer your sim builds an airplane and flies around, and surveys the surrounding area, now 3 more families join (ant number, age and gender)

Now every 2 sim days a new family joins of any number. Every 3 sim days you may buy 4 new pieces of furniture for your sims (optional)

Once a brave astronaut raises from the family they launch the new worlds first satellite and they discover the remnants of the star ship, they also see a space shuttle with New earth written on the side, they then launch a manned space mission to the neighboring planet and discover a city of humans who are advanced, your sims gains a massive cheque from them (motherlode) and also brings back furniture and technology.
now you can buy anything from the catalogue

Once BOTH your starting Sims max the military career, they establish a inter-planetary government which join together and contact earth.

If your starting sims manage to do that in there lifetime you win!

This is a WIP (work in progress) please put suggestions in comments and tell me how you are going

Once this works out and i sort it and if people like it i will add 'Expansion packs', i'm teeming with ideas

why did i pick this username
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th May 2010 at 1:12 AM
This sounds really interesting! I like the idea of building a new world!
XD Don't worry, the story is just fine.

What the Golden Army really was: Ginormous alarm clocks who wanted to kill you!
Scholar
#3 Old 6th May 2010 at 2:43 AM Last edited by Kailacat : 9th May 2010 at 2:46 AM.
I love this! I def. want to test it! Will test soon. (Maybe over weekend)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I've started it, so far it is doing well!

These are the Bullivers, they are sister and brother! (I hope that is all right!)

They have moved onto the planet of Hephastaboreas, describing the contrasting summers and winters the new planet has. During the summer, Hephastaboreas is hot, reaching temperatures of up to 50 degrees Celsius (by 2164, America has switched to the Celsius and metric systems.) However, during its harsh winters, Hephastaboreas drops down to -30 degrees Celsius. So far it is still summer and Zachary and Samantha are trying to cope with the heat, although it is much better during the warm nights.

This is their house. I thought the fireflies could be some otherworldly creature, they are already so amazing in real life.

Zachary is friends already with Jill Fleig...

This is their new house. They built it in a little clearing of hills topped with dark soil, thinking it would be a good place more sheltered and with shade for the hot afternoons. (And they were right.)

I didn't get a picture, but they have already ordered food (it wasn't completely gone yet, but oh well.) Right now they're searching for a Military job and I'm regretting downloading all these custom jobs.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th May 2010 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kailacat
I love this! I def. want to test it! Will test soon. (Maybe over weekend)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I've started it, so far it is doing well!

These are the Bullivers, they are sister and brother! (I hope that is all right!)

They have moved onto the planet of Hephastaboreas, describing the contrasting summers and winters the new planet has. During the summer, Hephastaboreas is hot, reaching temperatures of up to 50 degrees Celsius (by 2164, America has switched to the Celsius and metric systems.) However, during its harsh winters, Hephastaboreas drops down to -30 degrees Celsius. So far it is still summer and Zachary and Samantha are trying to cope with the heat, although it is much better during the warm nights.

This is their house. I thought the fireflies could be some otherworldly creature, they are already so amazing in real life.

Zachary is friends already with Jill Fleig...

This is their new house. They built it in a little clearing of hills topped with dark soil, thinking it would be a good place more sheltered and with shade for the hot afternoons. (And they were right.)

I didn't get a picture, but they have already ordered food (it wasn't completely gone yet, but oh well.) Right now they're searching for a Military job and I'm regretting downloading all these custom jobs.

GREAT looks amazing, in the log building they should have a shower and a sink (if you have uni you should use the shower head.

I haven't started it myself yet because my computer is on the fritz but i should be testing it by tomorrow

Scholar
#5 Old 9th May 2010 at 9:36 PM
I did use the showerhead... Okay, I'll add a sink once I get my game to start up!

tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th May 2010 at 6:41 PM
I did use the showerhead... Okay, I'll add a sink once I get my game to start up!

Actually i decided against a sink, im going to add some more rules too.

Scholar
#7 Old 13th May 2010 at 3:31 AM Last edited by Kailacat : 13th May 2010 at 9:02 PM. Reason: response to bubbelsdarling
The new icon for the neighborhood:

Finally I got the military career:

Staying up late in the tent:

Samantha stargazing:

Zachary excited about his promotion: (I know this is the "Ta-Da" pose, but he keeps coming home naked for some reason and it looks really out of place, so I just did this separately.)
http://i43.tinypic.com/v5guxe.jpg

I'm working on the new colony right now. Still need a name.

Edit:
BubbelsDarling: How to post pictures http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=330419

tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th May 2010 at 7:45 PM
I have started testing, it was rather late but i have been tied up with other things... i have some pictures... how do i display them?

Scholar
#9 Old 14th May 2010 at 12:29 AM
The three new families.

tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th May 2010 at 5:15 PM
I have started my neighborhood, i would upload my pictures but the computer is completely retarded so I'm not going too, i just named the neighborhood Alpha Centurai E, they landed on an island, they build there house in a clearing in the forest, they spend alot of there time fishing for food, they made friends with another survivor but they haven't yet ordered food.

fyi im loving the photos, the houses look great, very creative, built with debris

Scholar
#11 Old 17th May 2010 at 9:13 PM
Thanks! I think that the world will be so advanced in 2164 that people will be able to recreate the furniture easily, and there are lots of materials in Hephastaboreas. Which reminds me, two questions:

1) I've been digging for treasure a lot, and right now my sims have 4, yes, 4 treasure chests, but it feels too much like cheating if I sold them, so should I just keep them in inventory?
2) I got a genie lamp. Also in Zachary's inventory. Must have been all those nature points from sleeping in tents and fitness enthusiasm from endless jumproping...

One thing I have to say is, that once I am done, there will be a great new neighborhood for me to play! So instead of just making a neighborhood, I'll be doing a challenge too!

tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th May 2010 at 9:07 PM
Thanks! I think that the world will be so advanced in 2164 that people will be able to recreate the furniture easily, and there are lots of materials in Hephastaboreas. Which reminds me, two questions:

1) I've been digging for treasure a lot, and right now my sims have 4, yes, 4 treasure chests, but it feels too much like cheating if I sold them, so should I just keep them in inventory?
2) I got a genie lamp. Also in Zachary's inventory. Must have been all those nature points from sleeping in tents and fitness enthusiasm from endless jumproping...

One thing I have to say is, that once I am done, there will be a great new neighborhood for me to play! So instead of just making a neighborhood, I'll be doing a challenge too!

I dug for treasure too and when i was fishing i got a boot, put 1 peice on display then sell the rest if you want, it could be the remains of an ancient civilization :O

Scholar
#13 Old 22nd May 2010 at 6:15 PM Last edited by Kailacat : 22nd May 2010 at 6:20 PM. Reason: more pictures!
Wow! Long time no update!

The futuristic town of Allegro, Hephastaboreas:

The first thing I did when I played the Johnson household is made them break up. Aliyah was too much of a wild sim, while Ronan was a strict family sim. Plus, I thought Aliyah and Zachary (from my main family) would make a good couple.

Zachary meets Aliyah:

Promotion!
http://i46.tinypic.com/fac7ba.jpg

Newest family, the Amazings
http://i50.tinypic.com/dgrw9f.jpg

Midnight snack
http://i45.tinypic.com/11scnx1.jpg

Midnight hike
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ynq7tj.jpg

Aliyah is always mad at Ronan (her ex-husband)
http://i48.tinypic.com/2dnlle.jpg

Aliyah and Zachary are officially a couple
http://i45.tinypic.com/raapg6.jpg

Another promotion, this time only Zachary
http://i46.tinypic.com/2ijj37l.jpg

tumblr
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 31st May 2010 at 1:46 AM
QUESTION: So, you are able to add families to your "colony" as you progress. Do we play these families? What are these families roles? What jobs can they take? Are these families (AND the founding family) allowed to have children?

EDIT: I forgot to ask about the money aspect! After your founders move from their first lot, how much money are they allowed to use? Are they allowed to use all the money that was left over after they bought all the basic things for their first lot? More explanation on the money front would be nice.
Scholar
#15 Old 31st May 2010 at 4:14 AM Last edited by Kailacat : 31st May 2010 at 4:16 AM. Reason: clarify
The roles of the families are to act as friends for your founding family. Like for mine, Zachary and another sim are falling in love. I think that you wouldn't have to play them since the goal of the challenge is to play as your founding family, but it could help to have them if your sims need friends to get promoted. I guess they would also set a backround for the colony, instead of all those boring fugly townies getting in the way.

For money, I don't really understand the question. "Allowed" to use? Wouldn't they be able to use any amount of money? As long as you don't cheat for money, you should be fine. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Bubbels...)

I haven't gotten to play my family in a while. Sorry for the lack of update!

tumblr
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 31st May 2010 at 7:24 AM
Thank you Kailacat for clearing up my questions.

I think I will also test this once I have finished another challenge that is nearing its end.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 2:02 PM
The roles of the families are to act as friends for your founding family. Like for mine, Zachary and another sim are falling in love. I think that you wouldn't have to play them since the goal of the challenge is to play as your founding family, but it could help to have them if your sims need friends to get promoted. I guess they would also set a backround for the colony, instead of all those boring fugly townies getting in the way.

For money, I don't really understand the question. "Allowed" to use? Wouldn't they be able to use any amount of money? As long as you don't cheat for money, you should be fine. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Bubbels...)

I haven't gotten to play my family in a while. Sorry for the lack of update!

Yes, aslong as you don't cheat for money you can use it, your limited of what you can buy up until you come back from new earth with the furniture

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 2:44 AM
I have yet another question. If and when can your founders have children, be it with each other or others (depending on the founding sims relationship)?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 5:09 PM
The founding sims can have children whenever they wish, it can be with eachother or one of the colony members but the founding sims are the only ones that can win the game, i may change this after testing or in an expansion

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 8:28 PM
Cool, thanks for the speedy response! I believe I will start testing today, so I will be posting updates and such. Is there anything particular you are most interested in hearing about for testing? Or just overall how it goes?
Test Subject
#21 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 9:28 PM
I love this idea :] -about to start-
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrimsonKiss
Cool, thanks for the speedy response! I believe I will start testing today, so I will be posting updates and such. Is there anything particular you are most interested in hearing about for testing? Or just overall how it goes?

Just overall how it goes, any problems or improvements, or any rules you don't quite understand. thanks

Quote: Originally posted by Kellee
I love this idea :] -about to start-

Thanks

Lab Assistant
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 10:36 PM
Can we use orchard trees if you have seasons? I'm just asking since you're not allowed to grow crops.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 11:34 PM
So, I've finally started the challenge.

Here is my founding family:

Riordan & Camille Strickland

They named this new land Swyn Valley.

So far, the couple has managed to build a small shack and set up their tent. They also made friends with another survivor, Rory (female, I forgot her last name). They have also heard of a colony that is in need of help, and so they have began to train themselves so the other colony will see the value in them. (However, they STILL have not gotten the stickin' military job O_o )

Here is their feeble home.

Unfortunately for poor Camille, the bugs decided to hunt her instead of the other way around!

---------------------------

TEST FINDINGS

ALL the BBQ's DO NOT work with the mini-fridge. So if you really wanted us to be able to use the BBQ, then you will have to allow for a full-size fridge.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrimsonKiss
So, I've finally started the challenge.

Here is my founding family:

Riordan & Camille Strickland

They named this new land Swyn Valley.

So far, the couple has managed to build a small shack and set up their tent. They also made friends with another survivor, Rory (female, I forgot her last name). They have also heard of a colony that is in need of help, and so they have began to train themselves so the other colony will see the value in them. (However, they STILL have not gotten the stickin' military job O_o )

Here is their feeble home.

Unfortunately for poor Camille, the bugs decided to hunt her instead of the other way around!

---------------------------

TEST FINDINGS

ALL the BBQ's DO NOT work with the mini-fridge. So if you really wanted us to be able to use the BBQ, then you will have to allow for a full-size fridge.

Thanks for that i will be sure to add the corrections in, also sorry for the slow reply i restarted safari and al the website passwords got wiped and i couldn't remember my MTS one

Page 1 of 3