Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 9:00 PM
I think I just about finished testing. No other problems that I found. The only thing I have is maybe more of an opinion than anything else. I found it really quite cumbersome to keep creating more and more families after each promotion. Also, it was unclear if I was supposed to create a new family after EACH of the founder's promotion or just when BOTH of the founders reached the same, new career level. Anyways, as I was saying, it seemed rather pointless to be creating all these new families as they seemed to serve no other purpose than populating a 'hood. Again, this is just my opinion. Perhaps the mass (and seemingly constant) creation of sims appeals to some people. But the families I created just sat there. I understand they are useful for advancing in the sims' career, but still, there are townies...

You also might want to take a look at this sentence of your instructions:

Quote:
You must also make 4 more families, 1 with 2 sims male and female any gender, one with 1 sim any gender , 1 with 3 sims, 1 female, 1 male and 1 toddler any gender, now create basic homes for them and move them into them, you now live in your colony.

I only could figure out 3 families from that bit of the instructions. The wording was very confusing.

All in all, the challenge was interesting in theory, but the execution of it was only subpar for me. Obviously this challenge is a WIP, so I only included my comments to help flesh out the challenge more.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrimsonKiss
I think I just about finished testing. No other problems that I found. The only thing I have is maybe more of an opinion than anything else. I found it really quite cumbersome to keep creating more and more families after each promotion. Also, it was unclear if I was supposed to create a new family after EACH of the founder's promotion or just when BOTH of the founders reached the same, new career level. Anyways, as I was saying, it seemed rather pointless to be creating all these new families as they seemed to serve no other purpose than populating a 'hood. Again, this is just my opinion. Perhaps the mass (and seemingly constant) creation of sims appeals to some people. But the families I created just sat there. I understand they are useful for advancing in the sims' career, but still, there are townies...

You also might want to take a look at this sentence of your instructions:

I only could figure out 3 families from that bit of the instructions. The wording was very confusing.

All in all, the challenge was interesting in theory, but the execution of it was only subpar for me. Obviously this challenge is a WIP, so I only included my comments to help flesh out the challenge more.

Thanks for testing, didn't take you long

I have edited the rules to include information about the mini-fridge and also edited the information about the families to help make it more clear and about promotions, yes it is tedious creating more families, you could just randomize them, they don't have to be beautiful down to every detail, just as long as they are there.

I am hoping to create a starting lot for people to downoad and put ether on here or the exchange, and also a cottage for the sims to move in to when they join the colony and possibly a shop.

Thanks for your help :lovestruc

why did i pick this username
Scholar
#28 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 8:39 PM
Maybe you can use the premade families and change their names or clothes if you want. I've finished also, by the way, but I got a bit tired of taking pictures, I'm not really a picture taking person. Right now I'm enjoying playing all the sims I've made! They're almost to their second generation Good idea about creating a starting lot.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Jun 2010 at 4:45 PM Last edited by BubbelsDarling : 19th Jun 2010 at 12:06 PM.
hmm... thats sounds like a plan, and thanks any other suggestions/ improvements?

I haven't played since about 2 months ago :S i have been tied up with school hopefully i will get around to it

IT WOULD BE NICE FOR MORE PEOPLE TO TEST IT :/

Test Subject
#30 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 1:02 AM Last edited by bunnysparrow : 25th Jun 2010 at 1:14 AM.
Question: The $2000 bonus at elite forces... Does that happen when each sim gets it (totalling $4000) or when both sims do?

And the 3 new families at flight officer: does that include the one family that always gets added, or do we just make 4?
Test Subject
#31 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 6:56 AM
WOW. It looks great. Thanks for sharing
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bunnysparrow
Question: The $2000 bonus at elite forces... Does that happen when each sim gets it (totalling $4000) or when both sims do?

And the 3 new families at flight officer: does that include the one family that always gets added, or do we just make 4?

the ยง2000 bonus at elite forces happens when each sim gets it, and you have to make 4

Lab Assistant
#33 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 2:37 AM Last edited by feliciaqueens : 1st Jul 2010 at 4:52 AM. Reason: New question
Hm let me play too. I'll start soon. Sounds like fun.
However I thought of something. How are they supposed to advance in military without charisma? Without a mirror or a bird, you cannot build this skill, which is vital to the career.
Scholar
#34 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 9:27 AM
Feliciaqueens: They don't need charisma until later parts of the career, or after they've moved into their house, and they would have a propor bathroom with mirror.

tumblr
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 6:19 PM
'feliciaqueens' have you started?

Test Subject
#36 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 6:38 PM
I think I might start this as well. Can I still do this without BV and up?
Field Researcher
#37 Old 23rd Sep 2010 at 8:00 PM

This challenge sounds like fun. I'm off to test it.

btw: Does anyone know where I can find a neighborhood with these roads. I think it would look more realistic in this type of challenge.
Scholar
#38 Old 23rd Sep 2010 at 10:41 PM
Oh those roads are:
http://nene.modthesims.info/download.php?t=212806

tumblr
Field Researcher
#39 Old 23rd Sep 2010 at 11:14 PM
Thank you Kailacat!
Field Researcher
#40 Old 24th Sep 2010 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Wallpaper : 24th Sep 2010 at 9:34 PM.
Kailacat: Your world looks really nice! I love those tiny square aluminium houses!

Well, I'm not done yet but here's the story so far...

The start was quite easy and my couple didn't have to stay very long at this lot.

They did find some material from the old military area, and managed to build a small shack.

Not as big as in the description, but they just have to deal with it...

They have the toilet inside but there was no room for a sink and a shower.

Kitchen and bedroom in the same room, but they are not complaining much.

Things I found difficult was the fun issue. I did not buy them a TV (I mean TV on an almost untouched planet? hehe), so all the fun things to do was water balloon fighting, reading books and newspaper or wohooing. And I was wondering about power and electricity - are there any rules about that? Obviously it must be allowed because they do have the fridge.
I just let them have candles and some oil lamps until the world develops a bit more.

Good thing they took the BBQ with them, because there is no stove to find in the neighborhood yet.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 12:15 AM
Sorry i haven't replied for ages, i have been busy at school and i thought this topic was dead

Quote: Originally posted by k4driver
I think I might start this as well. Can I still do this without BV and up?

Yeah, you will just have to adapt the rules
Quote:
And I was wondering about power and electricity - are there any rules about that? Obviously it must be allowed because they do have the fridge.
I just let them have candles and some oil lamps until the world develops a bit more.

Let's just say the fridges are running on gas

As for the power, they must be using primitive wood burning technology or wind power in the town

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 12:32 AM
i really wish i could try this, but the way things have been with school lately have been time-consuming. Luckely, i have this week at the least free because high school soccer season just ended. However, diving starts in a few weeks, i'm just not sure when. I'm down to about 1 and 1/2 hours of playing time per about every two weeks, but if i find my time increases, i'd love love love to try this challenge.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinep/

[{call me maddie}]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MadforSims
i really wish i could try this, but the way things have been with school lately have been time-consuming. Luckely, i have this week at the least free because high school soccer season just ended. However, diving starts in a few weeks, i'm just not sure when. I'm down to about 1 and 1/2 hours of playing time per about every two weeks, but if i find my time increases, i'd love love love to try this challenge.

thank you

Field Researcher
#44 Old 23rd Nov 2010 at 8:41 PM
Alright, a few questions. You say no CC is allowed; do you mean CC what-so-ever, or if I find them, may I use wall papers and flooring in the houses? Maybe a recolor of the fridge, tattered clothing or something like that?
Making mass amount of families will lag my computer to no shame. Can I stabilize the additions to maybe two families a week rather than every two days?

Otherwise, sounds fun. (: I'll have to try this out maybe this weekend or over the winter break. (three weeks away).

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sanypsia
Alright, a few questions. You say no CC is allowed; do you mean CC what-so-ever, or if I find them, may I use wall papers and flooring in the houses? Maybe a recolor of the fridge, tattered clothing or something like that?
Making mass amount of families will lag my computer to no shame. Can I stabilize the additions to maybe two families a week rather than every two days?

Otherwise, sounds fun. (: I'll have to try this out maybe this weekend or over the winter break. (three weeks away).

Yes you can use re-colours of items and new wallpapers and floors if you must, but if you don't install and CC you will find your game will run better, but yeah you can create 2 families a week and give me your findings to see if it is effective, and i may be able to adapt the rules if it seems better like that.

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 3:02 AM
Looks cool, I'll try it once I find my game disc. ^_^

How come Mario can smash through bricks, but he dies when he touches a freaking turtle..?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#47 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mai2008
Im gunna bend the boy-and-girl rule with my twin girls, Carly and Marly. I hope thats okay cause it would be just the same, wouldent it?

NO I WILL SHOOT MYSELF IN THE HEAD IF YOU DO SUCH A THING!

...yeah that's fine

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 8:56 PM Last edited by Mai2008 : 27th Jan 2011 at 8:11 PM.
Thanks! I dont have BV EP so im not gunna use the tent. They are on the beachiest (I hope thats a word ) lot I could make. I tried posting pics but I cant find them. It says they r on there! Urrrrgh! Computers theese days! They have a tiny shack. All I could get in was a bed Im completely changing it so I can fit the
important stuff in there .

I know your Awesome Mc Awesome pants allready
to this but,
I spam to much!

But seriously,
Field Researcher
#49 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 9:16 PM
yeah, i kinda tried this challenge, but i mangled it...

i'm sorta sticking to a few of the basic rules, but since a messed up SO bad,

it really does sound great though, my problem is i'll read a bunch of challenges, then i'll go play sims for a day, and i dont check back to be sure i'm following rules, so i get my challenges all combined.

SO, i get my rule sets all mixed up, find out i'm supposed to be locking townies in closets and only marrying the maid, but i've been smoothieing up to the nature club guy and chasing off malcom landgrab, who i'm going to want later. that wasnt about this one obviously, that was just an example of my confusion
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 12:45 PM
Wow i really need to check this thread more often, but good to hear guys

Page 2 of 3