Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 1:12 AM
Default Painting Overhaul
Has anyone seen this?

http://thegrownupsarelying.blogspot...ements-for.html

It's a mod that complete overhauls the paintings that sims make. There are technically only 158 paintings(I think there may be more with the inclusion of ambitions) in the game. Depending on the traits a sim has, the sim could just end up painting a picture that has gone through a photoshop filter. Some times the picture is grainy or has a patchwork or stained glass filter applied to it.

This is a complete replacement, which includes 1580 images for the sims to paint. I like to have my sims paint because it's a nice way to make money and it's cool to see all the different paintings they make.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 1:41 AM
Just downloaded it yesterday and it looks promising so far! I loved the idea of traits/moodlets influencing painting style but it wasn't really implemented too well. I've only had one Sim reach level 10 in Painting but she had the Genius and Neurotic traits so she rarely ever produced the normal versions. All of her "masterpieces" have been bright neon messes.
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 2:00 AM
Hrm, well the concept is great, but I have to say that looking at the examples given, I would have to completely disagree with the assessment of how traits are matched to paintings :O The "can't stand art" version is VERY artistic, the "computer whiz" version is not geeky in the slightest, the "evil" version is not remotely disturbing... quite cheerful in fact... and the "grumpy" version is lovely and uplifting. And so on.

Nice idea though certainly And if what you're primarily after is a lot of variety in the paintings, that mod has it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Princess Leia
Just downloaded it yesterday and it looks promising so far! I loved the idea of traits/moodlets influencing painting style but it wasn't really implemented too well. I've only had one Sim reach level 10 in Painting but she had the Genius and Neurotic traits so she rarely ever produced the normal versions. All of her "masterpieces" have been bright neon messes.

I haven't even tried it yet. At first I was a little cautious because it was such a big file, but I think my computer can handle it. I download it early today and I'm going to try it out later tonight.
I hated it when my sims would drawl neon blobs and smeared paintings. It's like they were constipated or trippin balls while painting. I would have a perfectly normal sim who reached level 10 in painting and he would produce something that looked awful
Forum Resident
#5 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Hrm, well the concept is great, but I have to say that looking at the examples given, I would have to completely disagree with the assessment of how traits are matched to paintings :O The "can't stand art" version is VERY artistic, the "computer whiz" version is not geeky in the slightest, the "evil" version is not remotely disturbing... quite cheerful in fact... and the "grumpy" version is lovely and uplifting. And so on.

Nice idea though certainly And if what you're primarily after is a lot of variety in the paintings, that mod has it.

Actually, I get what they're saying, especially with the evil and grumpy one, and even the computer whiz one, although that one is a typical stereotype (I hate anime and manga and I freely admit to be a computer geek). The evil one is a painting of Marie Antoinette, with a speech bubble of a slice of cake. Marie Antoinette was the one, after all, said to bring about the French Revolution and her famous saying, at least where I'm from, is let them eat cake, meaning I don't give a shit if my country starves to death. Very evil to me.

And the grumpy one depicts a naked woman turned away from the camera (which could easily symbolize her reluctance to face the world) and with branches growing out of her back, possibly symbolizing a heavy weight upon her back at all times of the day. The flowers growing at the end could also symbolize that what she carries on her back at all times of the day may not be so bad, even if it's heavy, but because she's turned away from it, she cannot really see or understand what she has.

Of course, it could all be complete bullshit, and it's all in the eye of the beholder.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Scholar
#6 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 10:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I would have to completely disagree with the assessment of how traits are matched to paintings :O The "can't stand art" version is VERY artistic, the "computer whiz" version is not geeky in the slightest, the "evil" version is not remotely disturbing... quite cheerful in fact... and the "grumpy" version is lovely and uplifting. And so on.

Hmm, while I agree with you to a certain level, I think the descriptions on the site still make some sense.

Anyway, even if it doesn't match the traits 100%, it's still 1000 times better than applying a dumb Photoshop filter on the image, making geek sims only paint bathroom tiles for example.

I'm going to download an test it.
Instructor
#7 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 11:08 PM
At the risk of sounding defensive, I think I did a decent job of finding images that suited the traits. It was really difficult to find 1,580 that fit each of those categories, so it's not perfect, but overall I'm happy with the images I chose. I didn't really know what would work for "can't stand art" other than portraits and still life paintings. Marie Antoinette is, arguably, evil. I admit I would've liked to keep the computer whiz trait more computer-oriented rather than have it mostly be fanart, but not many people paint computers; I did put in all the computer-related paintings I could find.

I don't know if those who don't feel the images suit the traits actually browsed any part of the gallery, so perhaps I just didn't choose the images I used in the post very well. I think that, if you were to read the trait descriptions and browse the gallery a bit more, you would change your opinion.

But, good news! A couple of days ago I posted a tutorial that shows how easy it is to customize the mod with images you like better! I, personally, will be adding more Ninja Turtles.
Theorist
#8 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 11:37 PM
Gonna get this.
I was waiting for Shimrods version to get updated, but this seems a bit more ambitious. Nice.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 12:04 AM
Just downloaded this. I really appreciate the effort that was put into this and I cannot wait to try it out in game.
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 3:01 AM
I just downloaded it earlier. I haven't been able to use it much, since I don't have many artistic sims, but I like what I'm seeing so far! :]

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away... Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day...

Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 9:25 AM
The mod is spectacular, very well done. Anyone using my painting replacements must remove them when using this, as mine use the same ID #s as these paintings.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Banned
#12 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Plum
It was really difficult to find 1,580 that fit each of those categories, so it's not perfect, but overall I'm happy with the images I chose....

But, good news! A couple of days ago I posted a tutorial that shows how easy it is to customize the mod with images you like better! I, personally, will be adding more Ninja Turtles.

Thanks for the mod and the tutorial. The amount of work involved to come up with nearly 1600 paintings just boggles the mind. It must have been a labor of love.

The tutorial allows those who might quibble with some of their selections to choose their own.

For my part, I was getting really tired of the paintings that came with the game and look forward to other pictures. It's like having a whole new painting career!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
he evil one is a painting of Marie Antoinette, with a speech bubble of a slice of cake. Marie Antoinette was the one, after all, said to bring about the French Revolution and her famous saying, at least where I'm from, is let them eat cake, meaning I don't give a shit if my country starves to death. Very evil to me.

Sorry, sorry, sorry...but this is a pet peeve of mine.

1st, Marie Antoinette never said it. It was attributed to a French noblewoman years before and later given to be Marie in order to make her seem bad.

2nd, the entire phrase was "they don't have bread, then let them eat cake." It was not evil, just stupid.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 7:19 PM
GrizBehr, did u happen to try the mod by any chance? That's what this thread is really about. Not about a painting in tribute to a dead queen.
Secondly, history is full of misinterpreted or slightly incorrect information. It's okay to correct people, but it should never be a pet peeve as everyone may not be as "well acquainted" as you. Cheers

I think it's awesome that Plum wrote a tutorial to allow people to fine tune this mod. With the ability to add any picture you see fit, this mod has become perfect :lovestruc
Field Researcher
#15 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 7:25 PM
That's why I said sorry, sorry, sorry at the beginning. I like the mod a lot.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly
Forum Resident
#16 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrizBehr

1st, Marie Antoinette never said it. It was attributed to a French noblewoman years before and later given to be Marie in order to make her seem bad.

2nd, the entire phrase was "they don't have bread, then let them eat cake." It was not evil, just stupid.

Not a pet peeve of mine, but I did actually start a post saying the same thing you said. But then I decided not to hit the "submit reply" button.

Also I remember reading something once about bakers having to sell pastries at bread prices (by law) if they didn't make enough bread or something along those lines and speculation that the quoted line applied to that. Alas, I cannot recall where I read it (if it was a good source or not) and I don't recall there being much actual evidence that the law was being referred to. Just a possibility brought up.
Instructor
#17 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 9:51 PM
At the risk of being a bit too off-topic, I actually agree with GrizBear and Tzigone about Marie Antoinette, which is on of the reasons I said she was "arguably" evil. It makes me laugh because we instantly started arguing about it. Well, not really arguing, but at least discussing.

Though I still think she fits in the "evil," if only for her ignorance. Though the couple of biographys I've read on her gave completely different perspectives.

Anyway, anyway, anyway... Thanks for giving me that warm and fuzzy feeling, peoples.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 10:07 PM
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing this. 1600 new pieces of art... I can't even imagine how awesome that will be. I don't play artist sims often, because half the time they don't produce anything that's actually pretty. The best thing I ever got out of an artist sim was a painting of some ninjas that was, admittedly, pretty cool. I'm half-convinced that was a fluke though, because I never saw it again. XD

I'm in the middle of downloading it now, anyway. After I'm done playing around with my current challenge household (Reality Show challenge, for the curious -- it's been kinda fun watching the natural AI handle things, though I was really really hoping for a deadly fire that hasn't happened yet,) I think I'll create a neurotic-artist sim and play around with this. (:
Field Researcher
#19 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 10:23 PM
YUS. Downloading now. I HATED the fact that my Sim's first masterpiece was a large painting depicting a purple to white gradient. Nothing more, nothing less. I was thinking to myself, "How the hell is THAT artistic?!"

EDIT: Chronicle, I love your avatar. I have no idea what that's from, but I love the quote. :D

EDIT2: At the risk of veering this topic more off-topic and restating something that has already been said, what happened with Marie Antoinette was the villagers were complaining that they had no bread, to which she replied, "Let them eat cake." By "cake", she didn't mean that delicious pastry covered in frosting that is commonly referred to as a "lie", she meant the stuff that falls down into the fire when it's being cooked and is now burnt and dirty.

The future is bulletproof,
The aftermath is secondary,
It's time to do it now and do it loud,
Killjoys, make some noise!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Six_by_Nine
YUS. Downloading now. I HATED the fact that my Sim's first masterpiece was a large painting depicting a purple to white gradient. Nothing more, nothing less. I was thinking to myself, "How the hell is THAT artistic?!"

EDIT: Chronicle, I love your avatar. I have no idea what that's from, but I love the quote. :D

ROFL. I can't even remember any of my artist sims' masterpieces, only that they weren't nearly so awesome as the Ninja painting. Which wasn't even all that awesome, really. Boo.

Ahahahaha! I know, isn't it great? I love the quote too. (The image itself is, um, well, it's from Transformers. The old 80's cartoon. Yeaaah, I'm gonna go hide in my dork-corner now. What can I say, I'm a sucker for robots...)
Field Researcher
#21 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chronicle
ROFL. I can't even remember any of my artist sims' masterpieces, only that they weren't nearly so awesome as the Ninja painting. Which wasn't even all that awesome, really. Boo.

Ahahahaha! I know, isn't it great? I love the quote too. (The image itself is, um, well, it's from Transformers. The old 80's cartoon. Yeaaah, I'm gonna go hide in my dork-corner now. What can I say, I'm a sucker for robots...)
Hey, no need to be ashamed. Robots are badass.

And there's a ninja painting? :U

The future is bulletproof,
The aftermath is secondary,
It's time to do it now and do it loud,
Killjoys, make some noise!
Forum Resident
#22 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrizBehr

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I know; I took several years of history. I said it because it's the dominate misconception involving Marie Antoinette and is one of the main reasons she's considered evil by those who don't know better. And those who do still know that it's a misconception, which makes it as a painting all the more believable towards the evil trait. They don't care about the misconception.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Eminence Grise
#23 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Plum
I don't know if those who don't feel the images suit the traits actually browsed any part of the gallery, so perhaps I just didn't choose the images I used in the post very well. I think that, if you were to read the trait descriptions and browse the gallery a bit more, you would change your opinion.

Well, the interpretation of any work of art is a very subjective and individual matter -- that's what makes art interesting, after all -- so it's really no surprise if I look at those pieces differently than you do Please don't take it as a personal criticism. Just my view.

The functionality your mod provides is awesome, and it's great that you provided the customization tut as well
Scholar
#24 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 12:04 PM
Haha, look at EA's original painting. Basically some stuff impaled on a stick or tiles that are just in different colours and shades. And then look at the incredible detail in Plum's. They're nothing short of amazing in my opinion. And there's 1,580 of them? Excellent work.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 2:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Six_by_Nine
EDIT2: At the risk of veering this topic more off-topic and restating something that has already been said, what happened with Marie Antoinette was the villagers were complaining that they had no bread, to which she replied, "Let them eat cake." By "cake", she didn't mean that delicious pastry covered in frosting that is commonly referred to as a "lie", she meant the stuff that falls down into the fire when it's being cooked and is now burnt and dirty.
Where do you get this from? I haven't read that before and find it interesting and would like to read more. I'm certainly no expert, myself - not even an amateur enthusiast. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake (and I don't claim wikipedia as the most reliable source), it seems to fit the traditional application (which I have always thought of and been taught as stupidity and cluelessness about the reality of lives of ordinary people).

I uses the word "brioche" but I've no idea what that referred to in France at the time.
Page 1 of 2