Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Default Replacement Community & Residential Trash Barrels

by Sophie-David Posted 18th Feb 2011 at 1:47 AM - Updated 27th Jan 2016 at 5:24 PM by Sophie-David

31 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 13 Feedback Posts, 17 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#2 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 3:11 AM
Every "little" thing like this helps tremendously because even one "little" thing out of place and time just ruins the feel. Thanks for making this.
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 4:41 AM
You're welcome - and thanks to Almighty Hat for suggesting it!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 9:37 AM
Wonderful! I was just thinking yesterday, how out of place the things beside the road looked. Thank you!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 1:45 PM
Yay! More medieval goodies
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#6 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 1:48 PM
Oh nice. I have been routinely replacing the trash barrels with yours in my period game, but having them as defaults is far better. Thank you! Things like this really do make period games so much more genuine.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 4:19 PM
Excellent, as always. Thanks for this.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#8 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 10:40 PM
This is wonderful! I was just thinking to myself the other day that I wished someone out there made this.....and here it is. Thanks so much!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#9 Old 19th Feb 2011 at 12:42 AM
Squee! I've been going through house-by-house and replacing the trash cans with barrels. Now, I don't have to! Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 19th Feb 2011 at 12:58 AM
Fantastic! Just what my historic neighborhood needed! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 19th Feb 2011 at 1:27 AM
Oh this is fantastic. The vanilla trashcans always made my medieval neighborhood view less than satisfying. Thank you!
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Feb 2011 at 6:16 AM
Please Download the Feb. 19 Update
Thank you everyone for your great encouragement!

I'm sorry to say I made a silly error with the Default Community Trash Barrel Eat/Salvage menu - it was showing up as numbers! Please download the Feb. 19 update.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 1:18 AM
These look great. Thank you!!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 6:20 AM
You're welcome.
Theorist
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 5:33 PM
Default Two Barrel Recolour Sets from Michelle

Michelle 111 has posted two recolour sets at Plumb Keep: the clean and attractive Ye Olde Cooper's Trash Barrel in Pooklet Naturals and her four custom Rustic/Medieval Recolours of Ye Olde Cooper's Trash Barrel

Theorist
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 6:32 PM
Michelle's Updated Barrel Recolours
Michelle's Updated Barrel Recolours

Michelle 111 updated her two wonderful sets of barrel recolours on Feb. 20, 2012. They are both available at the Plumb Bob Keep: Pooklet Naturals and Rustic/Medieval. The Rustic/Medieval set is also available at MTS.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 6:53 AM
Ah-ha! Just what I was wishing for when I saw Bethgael's note in The MCC - Yeoman 7: Apothecary/Barber/Herbalist/Witch lot to come here and get your DR trash barrel. I will be so glad not to see that aluminum bin sitting out at the curb. Thanks, David!
PS. Like your new avatar. Hmm...wonder from whence that came? :lovestruc
Theorist
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 6:15 PM
You're welcome Nonni. Of course we have StephSim to thank for the new self-Sim that this avatar is based on.

Just one caution. If you are uploading lots and have other barrels or buckets in the set that are using this default replacement (DR) as the master, you will need to put the original (non-DR) trashbarrel in your upload or the slaved barrels and buckets will be flashing blue.
Test Subject
#19 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 3:46 AM
First off I love your item and use it in my historic hood but I am having a problem. Somehow it wound up defaulted in my modern hood - which is strange as I seperate my downloads based on time period and I can't track down the file. I've tried every combination of the download original name, creator name, trash and barrel and I'm finding nothing. Was the name changed or can you point me in the right direction?
Theorist
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 12:46 AM
Hi HoK. There's a lot of information in the first post, but as I noted, "Because these trash barrels are default replacements, they will automatically appear on all existing and new lots throughout every neighbourhood", not just the one you intended it for.

If you don't want this to happen, the files to remove are sdTrashBarrelCommunityDefault.package and sdTrashBarrelResidentialDefault.package. I did not release these defaults with any other filename. Remember to delete these default replacements from Windows Explorer, not from within the game.

If you would prefer to have the trash barrel on a lot by lot basis, I would suggest using the non-default trash barrel, which has the filename sdTrashBarrelMaster.package.

I hope you get this all sorted out sucessfully.
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 11:23 PM
Default March 2, 2014 Upgrade: Enhanced Texture, Improved Mesh & Bugfixes
This Upgrade supplies the following enhancements:

1) The barrel surface textures have been cleaned up, particularly to eliminate the horizontal line that showed in the centre of the Trash Barrels.

2) The interior mesh resolution for the Trash Barrels have been doubled so that they are more circular.

3) The interor texture mapping has been remapped to increase the resolution.

4) The mesh resolution in neighbourhood view has been moderately increased so that the barrels appear circular rather than hexagonal.

5) As before, Sims and animals attempting to overturn the Trash Barrel will be unsuccessful, but the attempt no longer results in an error.

6) In spite of these improvements both objects now have a smaller filesize.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#22 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 4:46 PM
Sophie-David, this is just awesome! Seriously, now I don't have to constantly recolor every trash can? World changing, I tell ya, no other way to put it!
Theorist
Original Poster
#23 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:08 PM
Thank you for the encouragement!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 2:40 AM
Perhaps it was a year ago, but at some point I was on a medieval downloading spree and downloaded this. Once I stopped wanting to play my game in the medieval theme and deleted everything in said theme--including this--I noticed that even though the trashcans were back to normal again, the thumbnails for them were not: they still showed up as barrels. I wouldn't say I have OCD or anything extreme like that, but it irked me for so long. I was never able to resolve the issue but recently I've had to reinstall my game, so it's probably fixed now anyway. Just wanted to make note of that so iIf anyone doesn't plan on keeping with the medieval theme in your TS2 game, I suggest you don't download the replacement trashcan barrels. Unless you don't care about seeing them show up in the thumbnail every time you use the original trashcan, or unless you know how to remedy that problem... *shrug*
Theorist
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 7:18 PM
Updating Default Replacement Thumbnails
It is typical that after removing any default replacement object, the thumbnail pictures fail to update. There are two alternative remedies:

1) If you have almost any of the EPs (maybe starting with Nightlife or OFB?) you should be able to Control-Right-Click on the thumbnail to update the picture.

2) If you have just Basegame or University, then deleting the Object Thumbnails DBF will cause the game to regenerate all the pictures in the object catalogue. The regeneration will take a little time when you first view each section of the buyable object catalogue.
Page 1 of 2